Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

abigserve posted:

I must be playing a different game to you guys because all I've had is fun in the sun solo :confused:

If you don't notice the 20 tick servers then all the more merry for you. It's just extremely jarring to be doing one thing only for the server to say "nope, gently caress you, you were doing this instead."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where are the gang tags, is there one for Zarya? Zarya is my loving family right now.

Every match I stand in front of the door, every match Roadhog gives me that look.

and I know I'm going to get like 50% gun charge

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
double digit environmental kills tonight on lijiang tower

luv u pharah

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

After my group called it a night I had an interesting solo queue run where no one could win attack. One side would slaughter on defense then we'd swap and it would go the other way. Same players for kings row, dorado, and volskaya, was never even close. So many turrets.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Low-skill/poorly organized random groups have huge problems dealing with static defenses. Unless someone else leads the way or actively encourages them, players will tend to just single file down the static meatgrinder and get murdered handily. The enemy team doesn't even really need to be that organized themselves either, a well-placed bastion or torb turret or the like can waste a good minute or two of clock time before someone actually managed it.

Not sure there's much Blizzard can really do about that though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Asimo posted:

Low-skill/poorly organized random groups have huge problems dealing with static defenses. Unless someone else leads the way or actively encourages them, players will tend to just single file down the static meatgrinder and get murdered handily. The enemy team doesn't even really need to be that organized themselves either, a well-placed bastion or torb turret or the like can waste a good minute or two of clock time before someone actually managed it.

Not sure there's much Blizzard can really do about that though.

Respawn in waves instead of personal when solo queueing perhaps? Solo queue turns into a meatgrinder so often, trickling is a huge problem and although it would change the gameplay a bit (and need some good tuning to not be a huge nerf/buff) I think wave respawns would help.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Stoat posted:

What's the best way to find goongroups on PS4? Is there no way to make permanent groups/communities or whatever?

Look for the Goonerwatch PS4 community. If no one's running a group out of it when you're online make one and people will join yours.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Trigger warning

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Respawn in waves instead of personal when solo queueing perhaps? Solo queue turns into a meatgrinder so often, trickling is a huge problem and although it would change the gameplay a bit (and need some good tuning to not be a huge nerf/buff) I think wave respawns would help.
Yeah, I've really been thinking that there needs to be wave-based respawns rather than a static timer, but that might indirectly nerf Mercy a bit. Probably a fair tradeoff though. Most random matches at my lovely skill level between relatively average teams seem to be decided by who gets pushed back first, since then it gets to be a constant stream of 2-4 versus six until someone gets a lucky ultimate or the defenders turtle up or whatever. You can maybe get randoms to form up if you yell at them a lot, but it usually won't work and wastes yet more time even if it does.

Unrelatedly, Widowmaker can go get hosed too. I admit I'm kinda biased against snipers in general but her rapid super-accurate hitscan instakills really really don't seem to fit the game's feel and flow at all. At least Hanzo and Pharah and Torb and most of the other long-range capable characters have to deal with firing arcs and travel time and such.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Turtlicious posted:

Where are the gang tags, is there one for Zarya? Zarya is my loving family right now.

Every match I stand in front of the door, every match Roadhog gives me that look.

and I know I'm going to get like 50% gun charge

right here. all aboard!

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Alkydere posted:

Also, does anyone have any hints with Symmetra? I'd love to get good with her if only to keep the teleporters up and running. The other builders (Tolbjorn and Bastion) I clicked with fairly quick and easily.

Symmetra only works if your defense is decent enough to start, she needs the rest of the team to stand tall to be effective. The teleporter is useful of course but it's not going to save a lovely team.

First things first you want to get out of spawn and building turrets as fast as possible while shielding everyone on the way. I like to start with placing some token turrets close to the attackers spawn or health packs outside their spawn solely to build up some ultimate, then move back behind the choke point. You can usually get 4 turrets up before the doors open, also try and get an orb or two out for when they first leave spawn. Since your initial turrets will go down pretty fast, try and cover the small health packs that are on your side of the choke point on most maps while spamming as many right click orbs into the choke as possible. Heroes like Roadhog and Reinhardt can feed your ultimate incredibly fast, especially because people behind them won't really see them coming.

I use her primary fire pretty rarely, if an enemy breaks through and is focusing on somebody else for instance to try and burn them down. Really after the initial phase you should just be hopping around and spamming orbs like a madwoman down the lanes. If there's a Widow trying to start poo poo, carefully send a couple her way so she'll have to at least avoid them and lose focus on killing somebody more important. Dying early on can be a huge problem, you want that teleporter up as fast as possible.

For the teleporter, don't get greedy and place it too far up, place it in a fairly safe spot behind the front line unless you're desperate and of course throw a couple turrets down to protect it. After you get it up, again try and cover those medpacks, maybe throw a couple on the point, and don't forget to keep everyone shielded. I usually don't do a 6 turret kill room of sorts, I go for two or three groups.

Most importantly for me, if they take the first point I just switch off of her, she's great for holding strong on that first point but after that you'll be much more useful with somebody else.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

This is hosed up

Thor-Stryker posted:

If you don't notice the 20 tick servers then all the more merry for you. It's just extremely jarring to be doing one thing only for the server to say "nope, gently caress you, you were doing this instead."

I notice this more on Mercy than anybody else, where I angel my way over to somebody who passes a wall and suddenly the server literally rolls me back mid-flight to standing around like an idiot where I initially started.

It annoys me considerably more than any of the myriad instances of "i was in cover on my end but the killcam says i wasn't" deaths.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Teleporter I understand intrinsically from playing too much TF2. It doesn't have to be perfect, just has to cut down the movement time. It was the turret placement that was giving me trouble. So what y'all are saying is basically I should do focus less on the tasty, juicy spots (chokepoints, tiny rooms, near the health pickups) and more on where people will be fighting and my turrets won't be noticed chaos? Not that I shouldn't put a couple turrets in those juicy spots for chump kills.

I was just having trouble because those turrets are so fragile and have such short range (along with Symmetra herself) and have such a slow animation for placing (Tobjorn's turret takes longer to build but the player can drop it so fast it doesn't matter). Meanwhile I was able to rock both Tobjorn and Bastion because I've played so much offensive-Engi in TF2. Tobjorn especially is like playing mini-sentry Engi: drop your gun wherever, it doesn't ahve to be in a perfect spot as long as it's in the fight, then get in someone's face with your shotgun. Even un-upgraded that sentry can do a lot of damage if you just toss it in the fight, not to mention soak up damage that would be directed at you. Bastion was more or less the same, only with setting myself down, and knowing when I could afford the second needed to transform and when instead I had to fight on the move (advance/retreat) using his AR instead.

Didn't know her orbs penetrated shields though. I'll make Reinhardt my priority target with her from now on though. Which is good because he's big and slow, especially with that shield up.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Asimo posted:

Unrelatedly, Widowmaker can go get hosed too. I admit I'm kinda biased against snipers in general but her rapid super-accurate hitscan instakills really really don't seem to fit the game's feel and flow at all. At least Hanzo and Pharah and Torb and most of the other long-range capable characters have to deal with firing arcs and travel time and such.

Agreed, I don't really see what she adds to the game other than making Rein basically mandatory on any maps with long sightlines. I think the game would play just as well without her at all.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Papercut posted:

Agreed, I don't really see what she adds to the game other than making Rein basically mandatory on any maps with long sightlines. I think the game would play just as well without her at all.

Double agreed. It wouldn't be so bad if her gun didn't fire so fast. I don't mind having a hitscan sniper, but her gun fires fast enough she can just pink someone down without having to charge. Yes she has the same sniper charge mechanic that TF2's Sniper has...but he at least had to work the bolt-action on his gun manually each shot. Widowmaker has a 30-round magazine that's semi-auto in sniper mode.

On the plus side though, bad Widowmakers are still fun to kill just like any other sniper at least. And her ultimate is perhaps the best way to trick the kind of fifteen year old idiot who wants to sit in the corner and try to snipe everyone into actually helping the team as a whole with wallhacks.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Didn't know her orbs penetrated shields though. I'll make Reinhardt my priority target with her from now on though. Which is good because he's big and slow, especially with that shield up.
Yeah. If he's a little ways away he might be able to sidestep but it'll probably still hit the shield for a boatload. And since it penetrates it forces the squishier folks hiding behind it to dance around and maybe get exposed too.

Papercut posted:

All I can figure is that the game's an FPS, so Blizzard thought they "had" to have a sniper.:shrug: If it were me I'd have left the sniper rifle for the ultimate, or mabe make it a stripped down high noon where you just have to keep the cursor close to the target for a second or two and guarantee a good hit/headshot, but it gives them a warning and the smarter/quicker folks can duck for cover. It'd make the area denial more explicit and encourage newbies to actually take side routes, and it'd remove most of the instant teamkill bullshit while still letting her plink down emplacements from afar.

But eh. I don't expect much to change there, and if that's the worst I can think of the game's pretty well put together overall. :toot:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

why do you do this

Knight007au
May 8, 2007

What's this, I don't get it?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Knight007au posted:

What's this, I don't get it?

Every loot box drop you'll ever get.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I play BLOPS 3, so I'm already used to this. (minus a common) :smith:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

:smith::smith::byob1::smithicide:

At least we get overbux around level 40 from all the duplicates.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I got around to watching the assorted shorts, and it amused me that only the robots die.

Hesitant to beat a mutilated robot to death with a baseball bat? OH gently caress, MY WALLET! Let us never speak of the robot again.

Robot dealing with Hanzo? ARROW THROUGH THE CHEST, oh and then knocking out the actual people, who matter.

Widow has to assassinate someone? Gee I wonder if they will go after a personpffft ahahaha.

Sure, I understand it's clearly for ratings reasons. But it's always funny when people try to ask "Do robot lives matter?" and then continue to treat them only as kid friendly corpses :allears:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

:smith::smith::byob1::smithicide:

At least we get overbux around level 40 from all the duplicates.

Toss blizzard some bills and you could be getting those overbux right now.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Section Z posted:

So I got around to watching the assorted shorts, and it amused me that only the robots die.

Hesitant to beat a mutilated robot to death with a baseball bat? OH gently caress, MY WALLET! Let us never speak of the robot again.

Robot dealing with Hanzo? ARROW THROUGH THE CHEST, oh and then knocking out the actual people, who matter.

Widow has to assassinate someone? Gee I wonder if they will go after a personpffft ahahaha.

Sure, I understand it's clearly for ratings reasons. But it's always funny when people try to ask "Do robot lives matter?" and then continue to treat them only as kid friendly corpses :allears:

Humans do die in the comics for what it's worth, Junkrat and Roadhog even leave a guy hanging from a building with an iron chain around his neck. Although they also blow up the building which probably kills him first. :v:

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Anyone else think it's kinda weird that the POTG sometimes goes to a player on the losing team? I mean, congrats on getting all those eliminations or whatever, but if ultimately it didn't help your team win the match, what was the point?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Where is a good place for Symmetra turret placement right at the start on Route 66? I've tried inside the various train cars, but they are all so visible that they get smashed immediately. I tried on the underside of the bridge right after the payload, but it's difficult to place them there and they also don't last long. The gas station doesn't seem like a great place, either. Any suggestions?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

NoDamage posted:

Anyone else think it's kinda weird that the POTG sometimes goes to a player on the losing team? I mean, congrats on getting all those eliminations or whatever, but if ultimately it didn't help your team win the match, what was the point?
Because you can have a good play and still lose

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

NoDamage posted:

Lmao, no. POTG and the cards at the end of a match are there to showcase players who did something cool or played well from either team. You know how on SportsCenter they showcase top 10 plays and such? Sometimes those plays are made by someone on the losing team. Doesn't make what they did any less impressive. Same logic applies in yer vidya game ESPORTS shootmans.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Aranan posted:

Where is a good place for Symmetra turret placement right at the start on Route 66? I've tried inside the various train cars, but they are all so visible that they get smashed immediately. I tried on the underside of the bridge right after the payload, but it's difficult to place them there and they also don't last long. The gas station doesn't seem like a great place, either. Any suggestions?

The small grottoes inside the rock to the left of the attacker's spawn are not a bad place once the payload starts moving, since you end up defending near the gas station a lot.

But since the spawn is Sniper central, I'd think having a few facing the defenders would be helpful even if they destroy them quickly. Making someone turn around to deal with a turret gives your Widowmaker (we both know you have at least one) a pretty nice shot to the back of their head.

Don't be shy with Sym's turrets, they are a distraction and a way for you to charge dat ult. No need to try and get a sick turret chokepoint that is going to get destroyed all at once by a Junkrat of Pharrah, spread them around!

Not that it's not funny when they kill a Genji.

edit

Your Computer posted:

While it would certainly help, I don't think changing the game so much would be cool. Honestly people just need to l2p (myself included since I still occasionally rush in after a respawn).

Honestly I like spawn camping as Genji or Tracer too drat much.

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 2, 2016

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
On King's Row defense I went Symmetra without noticing that our team actually had another Symmetra. I considered just heading back to spawn but decided to just roll with it for now and switch to 76 or something when we got wrecked. Instead we won. Shutout on point A. Couldn't hardly believe it.

My Symmetra tip is to put the turrets where they can see health packs. Screw over those Tracers or Reapers who escape with 15 HP and go to heal up. If you're playing with a semi-coordinated, voice-chatting team, putting sacrificial turrets near approaches lets you call out where the enemy is coming from. Route 66, I see a lot of Symmetra's trap the heck out of the first cave on the left when you're escorting the payload up. They tend to catch people trying to escape from the melee around the cart.

e: Also, these are the sickest numbers I've ever seen. A full three rounds of KotH where every round is fiercely contested gets nuts. 65 eliminations from that soldier! Not shown at that board is that I got bronze healing with Roadhog, so he must've been hitting those biotic fields all the time too.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 2, 2016

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The point of turrets placed at the start of the round is to build ult charge. So place some far forward around the cars, even if they'll die quickly. After that your best turrets are going to be hidden inside the gas station, or maybe up on the path across from the gas station to mess up anyone trying to go over there. Inside the station has the big health pack that'll draw people inside, and has better cover than the big health pack in the tunnel. Alternatively you could stick some on the backside of the gas station for people who are trying to flank.

Symmetra isn't the best on payload maps because of how they work, but just think about where enemies want to go, and how easy it is or isn't to target turrets. Inside buildings is usually good because of all the door trims and poo poo in the rooms you can obscure them around, caves and stuff tend to be pretty open. Ideally you want the turrets where they want to go, but is hard for them to see, or they're having to attack something else.

King's row point A is actually really great for symmetra, lots of places to stick a turret that they can't see until they're committed to pushing, and if you're there fighting they've got the tough choice of trying to kill turrets or your team. If they're organized even a bit it can be rough, but against pubs they're probably not going to do a lucio push with someone who is clearing turrets (winston is great for this).

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

PublicOpinion posted:

On King's Row defense I went Symmetra without noticing that our team actually had another Symmetra. I considered just heading back to spawn but decided to just roll with it for now and switch to 76 or something when we got wrecked. Instead we won. Shutout on point A. Couldn't hardly believe it

Dual Symmetra can actually be pretty rad if you're talking to each other and sync your teleporters.

I actually kind of enjoy Symmetra in general, because she can literally run rings around and over tanks and really give them a lovely time of it. But as soon as you lose that A point or the payload starts moving, you're probably going to be better off flipping to someone with a better point-clearing ult.

There is something to be said for how absolutely infuriating it can be having Symmetra running around behind her team and dropping turrets on KOTH points, though, so ymmv.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Got two POTG's in a row with Zarya's ult. Felt good mane. Pubbies barely seem to use her, but once you get a feel for her skills she has awesome survivability. I've found her especially useful against entrenched defenses. You and a 76 taking pot shots around a doorway at a Bastion and turret? Pop some shields and unloooaaad on those fuckers.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I don't like some of the unlockable skins because they radically change the look of character, making them harder to recognize. I'm think particularly about Zarya's Siberian outfit and Widowmaker's Odette skin. One of the reasons Valve went with a cartoonish design for TF2 was to make each class instantly recognizable by their silhouettes.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Kurzon posted:

I don't like some of the unlockable skins because they radically change the look of character, making them harder to recognize. I'm think particularly about Zarya's Siberian outfit and Widowmaker's Odette skin. One of the reasons Valve went with a cartoonish design for TF2 was to make each class instantly recognizable by their silhouettes.

As someone who's colorblind, a lot of the skins just look the loving same except for maybe a hue shift if I squint my eyes and click my heels together wishfully. The super-expensive ones don't seem too horribad, but I'm like 30 crates opened and 775 funny money rich.

Also, since I just skipped 1400 posts, are we allowed to say loot boxes are poo poo or is that an every page post?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Vermain posted:

My best guess is that you're stuck in the uncomfortable section of MMR where 9/10ths of the people playing are highly skilled multi-person stacks who are playing to win, and you're getting shuffled in as the 5th or 6th person. I've actually seen double Winston only once in my games so far.
Isn't that exactly where you want to be?

I like that I rarely get games where teammates run in solo and die. Thank god for that. I'd rather die in a thousand awkward failed pushes than live in that hell. I don't want to explain push-hold mechanics to my team every time I play a game, and I don't have to because everyone already gets it. I was actually worried that would be a huge problem in overwatch, but it hasn't been at all.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Thor-Stryker posted:

I notice it alot when I think I get part of an ult off then die and the kill cam is me not doing my ult and getting smeared, also every single time you die when you are behind cover, gently caress upping the tickrate probably increases every widows margin of error and not only would improve the game but be a slight nerf to her, at least unless you are actually good then hitscan weapons are hitscan weapons and your clicking on heads all day.

Turtle Sandbox fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 2, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I notice it alot when I think I get pat of an ult off then die and the kill cam is me not doing my ult and getting smeared, also every single time you die when you are behind cover, gently caress upping the tickrate probably increases every widows margin of error and not only would improve the game but be a slight nerf to her, at least unless you are actually good then hitscan weapons are hitscan weapons and your clicking on heads all day.

the best possible nerf to widow would be sane head hitboxes, because i've seen multiple killcams where i was standing just around a corner and got shot in the head with no part of me visible on the screen.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

the best possible nerf to widow would be sane head hitboxes, because i've seen multiple killcams where i was standing just around a corner and got shot in the head with no part of me visible on the screen.

I know hanzo has crazy hitboxes but I thought widow used the normal ones, usually its the 20 tickrate that kills you when you are completely covered and they shoot air, so upping the tickrate would fix your problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Andrigaar posted:

Also, since I just skipped 1400 posts, are we allowed to say loot boxes are poo poo or is that an every page post?

Sure. The problem is that the white boxes are garbage. Cut the sprays down to a fraction of what's in the game now and add ten times as many voice lines. Then the poo poo boxes would add something interesting while you wait for a good one.

Step 2. Make opponents hear voice lines too.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 2, 2016