Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I crashed the Highwind into probably everything, just joyriding across the world. You don't think about it when you're enjoying a game.

Grinding across mountain tops was one of my favorite pastimes in VII. I forget what buttons you could hold in combination to cause the Highwind to point diagonally while flying forward, but having that and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater at the same time painted a lot of both experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The first english translation on PS1 was just extremely boring

This really can't be understated, but it's also to FFV's credit that its good elements--Gilgamesh being the foremost of them--were able to be enduringly endearing despite the bland translation.

The GBA version managed to not only turn all the "goofy" slapstick into something resembling wit, it also brought to life the supporting cast, giving Galuf's former companions and the Turtle Sage way more personality. Bartz too actually gets a personality, and is played as something of an idiot for comedy value, which is fun.

Overall the GBA version is the definitive translation of the game and as such is frustratingly exclusive to that format.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
In FF3DS you ram an airship into a boulder to blow it up and don't Game Over, and that's the game where you can Game Over in a random battle before you get to do anything.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

voltcatfish posted:

i wonder if when you crash the car you get to see noctis and friends exploded guts or whatever

Noctis goes flying out of the car, but before he hits anything the screen fades to black and the game plays a 5 minute seat belt PSA.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This really can't be understated, but it's also to FFV's credit that its good elements--Gilgamesh being the foremost of them--were able to be enduringly endearing despite the bland translation.

The GBA version managed to not only turn all the "goofy" slapstick into something resembling wit, it also brought to life the supporting cast, giving Galuf's former companions and the Turtle Sage way more personality. Bartz too actually gets a personality, and is played as something of an idiot for comedy value, which is fun.

Overall the GBA version is the definitive translation of the game and as such is frustratingly exclusive to that format.

The Advance translation has been used in every following release, which unfortunately means the iOS and Steam versions.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Motto posted:

The Advance translation has been used in every following release, which unfortunately means the iOS and Steam versions.

Hm, I could probably run it on Steam actually but...I'm not sure I wanna pay money for it AGAIN.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mega64 posted:

In FF3DS you ram an airship into a boulder to blow it up and don't Game Over, and that's the game where you can Game Over in a random battle before you get to do anything.
The same airship in FF3 loving explodes and your guys are like, welp.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I know everyone hates the iOS versions mainly because of the world map and player sprites looking like hot garbage, as well as some wonky control issues. I get that, but people always seem to be REALLY upset about them. Any non-obvious reasons why?

Personally I was able to grumble past the crappy graphics (monster sprites aside, I thought they turned out well) by virtue of the QOL features. Automating the grindy bits worked wonders for keeping rolling around when I usually burn out.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
gently caress phone games.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hm, I could probably run it on Steam actually but...I'm not sure I wanna pay money for it AGAIN.

please god no it looks terrible

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i am tim! posted:

I know everyone hates the iOS versions mainly because of the world map and player sprites looking like hot garbage, as well as some wonky control issues. I get that, but people always seem to be REALLY upset about them. Any non-obvious reasons why?

Personally I was able to grumble past the crappy graphics (monster sprites aside, I thought they turned out well) by virtue of the QOL features. Automating the grindy bits worked wonders for keeping rolling around when I usually burn out.

paying them money means that you are supporting them doing this to games

like yeah you're 5 bucks doesn't really matter but it's the principle of the thing

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also FF4 has you attaching a loving drill to an airship and drilling yourself out of the underground (after it caved in because a guy strapped a bomb to himself and blue himself up, the same guy who later attaches said drill by the way).

i am tim! posted:

The graphics are kinda unnecessary and honestly pretty lazily done with regards to scaling and whatnot. There's articles floating around over how badly butchered the graphics jobs are in ways most people probably wouldn't notice. FF5 at least has nice monster graphics, though FF6 phoned that in and just put a filter over the old monster sprites and called it a day.

Otherwise, the only real addition over the GBA ports is Autobattle, and frameskip on emulators more than makes up for that. If you could skip cutscenes, then it'd be a huge step up. Also FF5 has some bug fixes which make certain challenges like the Four Job Fiesta slightly more annoying, but honestly those aren't that big a deal.

Really, it's more that there's no real incentive to go for the Steam/mobile ports over the GBA ones besides accessibility and Autobattle.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
crash the airship into ultimate weapon

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Cars are faster than Chocobos? This is garbage bullshit. Noncanon.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The game over crashing thing is fine so long as the flying is good and enjoyable.

I've not played Just Cause 3 so I don't know how the flying is in that, considering how they went to those guys are the ones FFXV's team went to, but the Just Cause 2 flying was pretty fun so I'm hopeful.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GreyPowerVan posted:

Any word on what FF are coming to PC next? I'm really enjoying this nostalgia from Tales and Final Fantasy.

Now we just need Legend of Dragoon, SMRPG.... And a bunch more.

Probably going to be waiting a while for wholly Sony or Nintendo owned properties to come to PC

Outside of emulators obviously

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

When you can save anywhere (and we still don't know what exactly a Game Over entails in FF15) then hell.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

elf help book posted:

gently caress phone games.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Probably going to be waiting a while for wholly Sony or Nintendo owned properties to come to PC

Outside of emulators obviously

a man can dream

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm still waiting for the scam RPG Maker port of Mystic Quest myself.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So can people who know about the 4JF fill me in on something. I was looking at the website and it says preregistration is open? I loving hate Twitter and never use it but do I send a Tweet now or what?

Also what is a Chaos Run? Random and Normal seem simple enough - I tweet when I get to a crystal and whoever sends me a random Job - but what is Chaos?

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So can people who know about the 4JF fill me in on something. I was looking at the website and it says preregistration is open? I loving hate Twitter and never use it but do I send a Tweet now or what?

Also what is a Chaos Run? Random and Normal seem simple enough - I tweet when I get to a crystal and whoever sends me a random Job - but what is Chaos?

Yes you can tweet at Gilgabot (@FF5ForFutures) now to register -- the actual event begins as soon as the ceremonial opening run is completed sometime on the 12th.

Chaos is essentially Random except any job can be rolled at any time, so you could end up getting, say, Samurai as your Wind Crystal job and thus have to use freelancer for at least one slot until Samurai is actually unlocked (unless you use the Fiesta mod).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is this the place where we can talk about Romancing SaGa 2? Because yeah this game is kicking my rear end...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

NikkolasKing posted:

There's a specific thread for FJF stuff: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776693

But yes, you have to use twitter. My only twitter account is one I use only for the FJF; it takes no time to set up and it's not like you have to monitor it.

As Grinnblade said, Chaos means it can assign any job for any crystal, but it does reorganize your random draws into the most convenient order based on crystal. So while you can roll an Earth Crystal job on the first crystal, it'll reorganize the jobs to give you ones from earlier crystals first.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Is this the place where we can talk about Romancing SaGa 2? Because yeah this game is kicking my rear end...

There's a general RPG thread that you'd be better off going to.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I just finished FFIX and the ending made me smile. One of the sweetest, heartfelt endings I've seen. :3:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

VIVI IS DEAD AND GONE FOREVER

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Terper posted:

But he had many strong sons, all of which are our friends. Thanks Vivi. We won't forget you.

It's also weird to me that Kuja didn't show up in the epilogue, given that whole scene with him and Zidane and Zidane's sympathies for him.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I always thought he died after their heart-to-heart but hell what do I know.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Yeah, I think I remember Garland saying Kuja was gonna bite the big one pretty soon no matter how much he Trances out, causing the Terra Tantrum. I'm sure getting the ever loving poo poo kicked out of him didn't help those prospects either.

Also he totally has a stereotypical "dying words" moment with Zidane just before it cuts to a few years down the road.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Terper posted:

Even if you say goodbye, he'll always be in our hearts. :angel:

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Terper posted:

Well yeah I have to get a new iphone like every two years so I doubt he lasted the summer

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

But he had many strong sons, all of which are our friends. Thanks Vivi. We won't forget you.

It's also weird to me that Kuja didn't show up in the epilogue, given that whole scene with him and Zidane and Zidane's sympathies for him.

That bit with Vivi's kids made me teary eyed :smith:

The game never explicitly explains what happened to Kuja, but most likely he died after the tree went nuts. Even if he survived that, Garland's dialogue implied that he was going to bite it pretty soon, so he could have died at any point between that cutscene and the epilogue.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Terper posted:

He's back in World of Final Fantasy!

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
vivi teleported into ffxiv

as gigi

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Kuja is alive and disguised as one of Vivi's sons.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow, that Zanarkand dream plot point was really unceremoniously dumped onto you there. No foreshadowing, no nothing. Just "oh hey Tidus it's me, the plot kid. Here's the plot". I knew about it beforehand but I wonder how that must have felt if I didn't.

Makes me feel like they either had bigger plans that failed to come through, or this was a really late addition in development.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Amppelix posted:

Wow, that Zanarkand dream plot point was really unceremoniously dumped onto you there. No foreshadowing, no nothing. Just "oh hey Tidus it's me, the plot kid. Here's the plot". I knew about it beforehand but I wonder how that must have felt if I didn't.

Makes me feel like they either had bigger plans that failed to come through, or this was a really late addition in development.

Without spoiling a lot it's very important to the plot going forward though, the game feels absolutely designed with that twist in mind. It leads to a really nice reversal of roles in the pilgrimage story as well.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Yeah, the twist never struck me about being a SURPRISE sorta deal, but to set the tone for the rest of the game. Namely that Tidus is now knowingly walking to his death and possible absolute dissolution as a being.

Edit: It also supports an ongoing theme of learning to accept loss, what with villains being people who went to great lengths to preserve their own life, or the the things they cherished.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
It makes Yuna's 'eulogy' of sorts in the ending super poignant.

"Or the dreams that have faded...never forget them."