Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scowny
Jul 11, 2006

Nice guy, that Kharne

SRM posted:

Could you try taking some photos close up? Even at full size I can't see Telion well enough to really offer a critique.

As for backlogs, my dad painted some models ~2 years ago that he'd bought on his honeymoon. His honeymoon was 40 years ago.

I'll get a picture of the back of him at some point, my smartphone struggled to get an in-focus picture of the front.

Also, just want to say, seeing your retro Ultras in person has really inspired me to try and work on my painting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

moths posted:

I wanted to cross-post that hydra from the Oath Thread:

That stupid pose looks way more menacing when he's rotated about 30 degrees!

I really like this Hydra.
Particularly the work on the scales.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Scowny posted:

I'll get a picture of the back of him at some point, my smartphone struggled to get an in-focus picture of the front.

Also, just want to say, seeing your retro Ultras in person has really inspired me to try and work on my painting!

Thanks man! I dig your paintjob on Telion. I think you need to go back with the base color and touch up the greens and he'll be good to go.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

Lethemonster posted:

Edit: Dog is currently digesting an arm from a now out of production Black Reach special character model and god help me if I can't find a replacement I'm going to have to sift poo.

Supposedly GW is re-releasing Black Reach under a different name. The sprues look to be the same though.

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014

Drake_263 posted:

Another project finished! (X-posted from the 30K thread)

Illud - Bring it!

Are those leather treads?

That's some pretty cool poo poo.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

The Sisko posted:

That's a beautiful tank right there. Speaking of the Horus Heresy I decided to revisit everyone's favorite primarch Lorgar. I wasn't very happy with his armor or his face so I just decided to redo everything. Still have a few details rap up as well as reattaching his mace but Im really happy with the new and improved Lorgar. As always comments and criticism are welcome.

What paints and how did you do the head/face.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Anyone have recommendations on where to look for stuff to put on a 28mm base? I'm looking for chests, piles of coins, books, that sort of thing, but everything I'm finding is way too big and I'm not sure what search terms to use.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

GoodBee posted:

Fact: If every mini you own is completely painted, you will die. Can't let that happen.

Whew. With the WFB Empire army I just bought, I should live to the ripe old age of 987.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Brewsuke posted:

Are those leather treads?

That's some pretty cool poo poo.

I like doing my treads as pretty worn out/dirty - this is Death Guard we're talking about here, chances are they've been rolling around in oxide dust (I have a Martian iron desert theme to my bases) for months on end.

Thank you!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

goodness posted:

What are some websites to check out "heroic scale" miniatures? The malifaux one has some good options but I don't know any others. (US shipping if that matters)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
What do you mean by heroic scale? New Malifaux figures are closer to true scale (i.e. they have realistic proportions).

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Avenging Dentist posted:

What do you mean by heroic scale? New Malifaux figures are closer to true scale (i.e. they have realistic proportions).

I guess I meant just 28mm+ size miniatures

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

goodness posted:

I guess I meant just 28mm+ size miniatures

You just want to browse minis? And particular genre? https://www.reapermini.com/ is a good place to start.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I'm in Spain, what can I use to strip off paint from plastic and resin models? Hopefully something that is not brake fluid.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

GoodBee posted:

You just want to browse minis? And particular genre? https://www.reapermini.com/ is a good place to start.

Trying to get started painting again and need some stuff to paint. System doesn't matter, just looking for cool minis

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

goodness posted:

Trying to get started painting again and need some stuff to paint. System doesn't matter, just looking for cool minis

I'd recommend picking up some metal Reaper figs. Their Bones line is cheap but I've heard ITT that they have some odd properties to work around. If you pick up any of those I'd ask for some tips on working with them.

Reaper has a wide variety of genres to choose from so you can pick stuff that has the textures you want to try painting, like fur, feathers, scales, skin, fantasy armor, sci-fi armor, etc. Or just stuff that looks cool. And Reaper's paint line is pretty good too so you can get paints from them. I have a couple of their Master Series brushes and they work. I like them better than the GW and Testors brushes but then I found my WN brush and I just use that for everything.

I used to use Reaper minis to test out paint schemes before I'd decide how to paint my more expensive minis for games. A bonus to metal figs is you don't have to worry about dissolving them if want to strip all the paint off and start over.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I looked up the old Golden Demon winner database http://demonwinner.free.fr/ and noticed there are no entries past ~2013. I know that unfortunately, while it was the premiere painting trophy, that is no longer the case. As far as I know, that is now the crystal brush. However, the crystal brush is in the US and in one event only, so where do the european painters show off their best minis? Is it all only at crystal brush and CMON now? I'd like to see where the in-vogue painting trends are going but you can't really tell if the minis you look at are a couple years outdated.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

You can see some of the stuff from 2013 onwards on the official site, https://golden-demon.com/ - unfortunately they only have the finalists up but it may be of help? IIRC there wasn't one in 2015, but it's now part of Warhammer Fest.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Mango Polo posted:

I'm in Spain, what can I use to strip off paint from plastic and resin models? Hopefully something that is not brake fluid.

Try Biostrip from the UK?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

So I looked up the old Golden Demon winner database http://demonwinner.free.fr/ and noticed there are no entries past ~2013. I know that unfortunately, while it was the premiere painting trophy, that is no longer the case. As far as I know, that is now the crystal brush. However, the crystal brush is in the US and in one event only, so where do the european painters show off their best minis? Is it all only at crystal brush and CMON now? I'd like to see where the in-vogue painting trends are going but you can't really tell if the minis you look at are a couple years outdated.

There are painting competitions in Europe at conventions that I don't remember the name of.

A lot of the better EU painters post on puttyandpaint.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Mango Polo posted:

Isopropyl alcohol

Chill la Chill posted:

I'd like to see where the in-vogue painting trends are going but you can't really tell if the minis you look at are a couple years outdated.

Search for photo albums from Euromilitaire, the guys from that travel Europe to enter their models in competitions, Euromilitaire is one of the last stops on the tour.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

There are painting competitions in Europe at conventions that I don't remember the name of.

A lot of the better EU painters post on puttyandpaint.

krushgroove posted:

Search for photo albums from Euromilitaire, the guys from that travel Europe to enter their models in competitions, Euromilitaire is one of the last stops on the tour.

Thanks! These are what I'm looking for. :getin:

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

always be closing posted:

What paints and how did you do the head/face.

Sorry for responding so late. The head was done with with P3 Rynn Flesh , then washed with Druchi Violet. I then gingerly used my airbrush to apply a highlight of Minitaires Humanoid Flesh focus on the top of the head and nose and brows ( the airbrush was almost a vertical postion in relation to the model). Hope that helps!

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
Is there an easy solution to weighing down a 30mm Warmachine base?

I've just about finished painting eIrusk (stock photo for reference), but I've noticed that his flag makes him extremely top heavy and very prone to tipping over.

I was thinking about filling the hollow underside of the base with milliput, but I was wondering if that would be heavy enough, or if there was an obvious solution that I was overlooking?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

imperialparadox posted:

Is there an easy solution to weighing down a 30mm Warmachine base?

I've just about finished painting eIrusk (stock photo for reference), but I've noticed that his flag makes him extremely top heavy and very prone to tipping over.

I was thinking about filling the hollow underside of the base with milliput, but I was wondering if that would be heavy enough, or if there was an obvious solution that I was overlooking?

Fishing weights.

krushgroove posted:

Isopropyl alcohol

Huh, that makes sense. Thanks!

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 3, 2016

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

The Sisko posted:

Sorry for responding so late. The head was done with with P3 Rynn Flesh , then washed with Druchi Violet. I then gingerly used my airbrush to apply a highlight of Minitaires Humanoid Flesh focus on the top of the head and nose and brows ( the airbrush was almost a vertical postion in relation to the model). Hope that helps!

Thanks for the reply. You've certainly piqued my interest in airbrushing. My neighbor next door gave me a small compressor he was using to airbrush military models, but thought it was just for big planes and the like, never thought of detail work like that. Oh boy what a can of $$$$$.

On another note, I bought some distilled turpentine to clean the army painter quick shade from my brush, I'm curious what strength to use it at, as its rather expensive.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I'm cross-posting this from the Oath Thread. It's a quick N' dirty rust tutorial.

hey all! I figured I'd knock out the WIP photos and speed painting achievements, while writing a handy tutorial on quick and easy rust effects! (I'll obviously include the achivements in my OATH COMPLETE post. which I need to add to, I forgot this months challenge!)

First up, I give the model a thorough black prime, them "mist" it with a metallic paint. I have used other brands of mettalic paint, however this is one of the areas that GW rattle-cans excel at. I used the boltgun metal spray.

Next, you need a stiff bristle brush. (sometimes called a boar brush.) luckily these are very cheap, any hobby store carries them in many sizes.

Using the boar brush is different then a regular brush. you "stab" the model, rather then making normal brush strokes. This is a good reason to buy cheap brushes for this technique, it destroys them quickly. (I mention this because you can buy actual boar-bristle brushes, and they can get costly!)
Start with a deep dark-chocolate brown, and cover at least 50% of the model. the more erratic the placement, the better. use rust reference photos to get an idea of the effect you want.
I also tend to use cheap paint for this, it uses a lot more paint then even drybrushing.

Next, pick a lighter shade of brown and repeat the same technique, but slightly smaller in coverage.

same technique, lighter shade again. you are going for texture more then anything.

lastly, I finish with either a red or yellow highlight again using the boar brush. the choice of yellow or red depends on what the base coat of the finished model is going to be. for my Killa Kans, I want to use a military green color so yellow is the preferred rust color. no matter the color choice for the finished model, make sure its a lighter color then your last shade used.

I find that rust effects (along with large speed paint projects) work best when you take a moment from time to time to view the total Mob from a distance. I'll modify the rust as needed looking at the unit as a whole. here's my first six Killa Kans with the rust. (and a Deff Dread hiding in the back!)

Now that you have completed the rust, you have a few options to proceed. I'll be using regular brushes, but if you airbrush there's something called the "salt resist" technique. Ill talk about it briefly at the end of the post.

For the using brushes, start with your base color. when applying it, be aware that the strokes can add to the texture you want. I like the look of "hand painted," but even if its an imperial vehicle use the existing rust to make a texture you want.
I started with a green base.

Once I had that done, I did some basic highlights.

next I picked out some details and painted the horns.

Lastly, I finished the base and called it good!

For posterity, here is my completion picture for speed painting. I'll of course include it in the final Oath Complete! post.

If you use an airbrush, "salt resist" is an awesome technique. you use course salt, table salt, and water. mix it together, and dab it in place on the model everywhere you want the rust to be visible. let it fully dry, then airbrush you base coat (and highlights if you have the stones.) once the model is fully dry, simply use a drybrush to knock off the salt. it makes a mess, so do it over a sink. you get an awesome chipped paint effect from it, I find it really gives a cleaner rust effect if tha'ts what you are going for.

as always, practice on something other then you grand opus if this is the first time using any of these techniques!!!

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

imperialparadox posted:

Privateer Press also sells pewter bases.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

That's awesome, but the yellow final highlight on the rust is too much imo.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That's awesome, but the yellow final highlight on the rust is too much imo.

That's why I included each layer in the step-by-step, I like my models comically over-wrought. Combine that with the speed I paint at and its a recipe for great table-top models, but not so good when five feet or closer, haha.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know of any sites aside from Bartertown or DakkaDakka where you can trade stuff? I have some Star Wars X-Wing miniatures and some board games i was hoping to unload for some fantasy miniatures or terrain, but haven't had much luck yet.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Got my brand new Sotar 2020 up and running. It works great, and I really wish I would have started airbrushing sooner.

The only issue that I am having is that the brush sprays paint as soon as I push down on the button. It's dual action, so it should just be spraying air until I pull back on the lever. It is a brand new airbrush, so I might not have something set up properly. Anyone know what could be causing this?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

jadebullet posted:

Got my brand new Sotar 2020 up and running. It works great, and I really wish I would have started airbrushing sooner.

The only issue that I am having is that the brush sprays paint as soon as I push down on the button. It's dual action, so it should just be spraying air until I pull back on the lever. It is a brand new airbrush, so I might not have something set up properly. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Loosen the collet (the nut that applies pressure to hold the needle). Make sure the needle is slid all the way forward while the trigger is at rest. Then retighten the collet.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

malal posted:

That's why I included each layer in the step-by-step, I like my models comically over-wrought. Combine that with the speed I paint at and its a recipe for great table-top models, but not so good when five feet or closer, haha.

I think it's more that the yellow doesn't really look like rust any more to me, surprised you didn't go with a super -bright orange

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

dexefiend posted:

Loosen the collet (the nut that applies pressure to hold the needle). Make sure the needle is slid all the way forward while the trigger is at rest. Then retighten the collet.

Thanks, that was the problem.

And to anyone on the fence about airbrushing, I can't recommend it more. It is so fast and smooth.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I think it's more that the yellow doesn't really look like rust any more to me, surprised you didn't go with a super -bright orange

I think it looks great with the green myself, but obviously if it's not to your taste just use a darker or more red-mixed shade.

I was more showing the technique, obviously the color choice isn't for everyone. I don't really paint to scale, I paint for texture and color options for the entire army.

Also stupid fast, which tends to limit options for effect.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

CommissarRed posted:

Does anyone know of any sites aside from Bartertown or DakkaDakka where you can trade stuff? I have some Star Wars X-Wing miniatures and some board games i was hoping to unload for some fantasy miniatures or terrain, but haven't had much luck yet.

I want someone to start a "Miniature Sell/Trade Agreation Station" thread here on SA and link to it in this thread and all the OPs of other mini games threads. I want that thread to contain links to SA Mart threads for selling lots or allow us to post contact info for small swaps, or bits trades or something. Basically no discussion in the main thread, just info on how to arrange a trade. Let people bump once a month.

The effort that would take to set up isn't worth it to me but I've got a couple of things I'd like to swap eventually and a couple of things I wouldn't mind tossing in the mail for free to someone who can actually use them.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

malal posted:

I also tend to use cheap paint for this, it uses a lot more paint then even drybrushing.

First off, I totally respect speed painting as a skill. Have you ever done any speed painting at a con, where you have limited supplies, a pre-selected model and 60 min to complete it? I did a couple of those one year and it was fun. I'd be interested to hear someone else's experience with that.

Second, when you say cheap paint, do you mean cheap craft paint which has larger chunks of pigment? Like the acrylics you can get from a hobby shop that are ~$1 for 3 oz? I can imagine that would give good texture to rust.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

GoodBee posted:

First off, I totally respect speed painting as a skill. Have you ever done any speed painting at a con, where you have limited supplies, a pre-selected model and 60 min to complete it? I did a couple of those one year and it was fun. I'd be interested to hear someone else's experience with that.

Second, when you say cheap paint, do you mean cheap craft paint which has larger chunks of pigment? Like the acrylics you can get from a hobby shop that are ~$1 for 3 oz? I can imagine that would give good texture to rust.

Yeah, those are exactly it. Folk art, Americana, et al.

I painted models for years using crap craft paint, and just got used to it.

As an aside I'm not mouth better now, I tend to use thick as poo poo Liquitex. It's so pigment rich I can thin it to whatever texture I need.

With speed painting it's all about eliminating steps, and thick pigment-rich paints really help with that.

As far as an actual speed painting competition I have not had the privilege.

I would love to, but just haven't had the chance yet.

Good lord I'm the fastest painter I've ever met, I'd love to go toe-to-toe with other speed painters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I think I asked this question before but I didn't really get a response. I am better now than I used to be at painting fleshy or otherwise "natural" surfaces because I learned to do some layering, but the same technique doesn't make sense in my mind for painting large plates of flat texture, like armor plates or a vehicle. How do you go about your shading and highlighting on sci-fi when you don't really have a lot of recesses to work with, or if the recesses are all lines in an otherwise flat piece of material?