Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA81aDYhE6w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j8-0BYtFTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y500csr-WW4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hell yea peeping that S duct game.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

posting on the best trijet page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdP-VMcREyg RB211 best turbofan sound

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 1, 2016

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Also before anyone else does it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKwyU1RwPto

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Forums Terrorist posted:

Something something Flight 401.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

posting on a good page number

can't wait for page 2707 when we get all the SST prototypes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

How many airlines actually had that 2-4-2 coach layout? I remembered 2-5-2. Its 4" narrower than the 777 which some airlines run 3-4-3 in coach.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Reminder that the L-1011 was the first widebody approved for CatIII autolanding. In a plane that also had a flight engineer's position in the cockpit.

It had a neat auto-spoiler system on the wings for smoother landings too.

Rolls-Royce killed it, and it killed Lockheed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqu-YEcl0e8
drat, remember when people would fly Delta because they had the best customer service in the NW?

Give the drat thing credit though, it never lost all hydraulics due to a compressor disk exploding, or had any doors fall off.

edit:
LOL never change Locheed

wikipedia posted:

To secure the Japanese market, Lockheed secretly bribed several members of the Japanese government to subsidize All Nippon Airways' purchase of L-1011s; this caused a significant scandal when the bribes were uncovered.

edit2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty9W3JBFY-8

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 1, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Delta still has the best customer service and cabin product amongst US legacy carriers.

United won't even give you a cookie with your 1/3 can of coke on a transcontinental flight.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
They won't? poo poo, I just went down to SFO on a 'United Express' flight, they gave me and my wife extra cookies.

Cause I'm fat.

Decent seat pitch, too. E175.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

There's something amusing about hearing an old school prim and proper English reporter say "droop snoot" multiple times.

hobbesmaster posted:

United won't even give you a cookie with your 1/3 can of coke on a transcontinental flight.

United can eat the actual corn from my actual turds. Gonna do my best to never fly with those idiots ever again.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Bob A Feet posted:

Somehow the CH-53 floated or flipped and then floated with the cargo ramp open so everyone was able to swim out with ease.
It's designed to float, isn't it? Maybe not as completely amphibious as the old boat-hulled Sea King, but definitely more than, say, a Black Hawk. Of course, I guess all bets are off if it's a crash/auto rather than a proper dainty landing with power to get away if they need to.

Why wasn't there a civilian version of the CH-53, like there was of the Sea King? Just too big/specialized/loud/uncomfortable to fit a niche in the civilian market (cf. M-D's short-lived efforts to sell a commercial C-17), or too much secret military-specific stuff because it was special-ordered for the USMC to make it worth entirely redesigning it for the civilian market?

I was going to include a picture of a mainly-military helicopter in Pan Am livery, but can't find one. Maybe they didn't actually run them and I just saw it in that Christina Ricci TV show.

New York Airways had scheduled service on Phrogs and Sea Kings from the airports to Pan Am HQ/Grand Central, though!

With a minor mishap on 16 May 1977:

Landing gear collapsed while loading passengers, fragments of the rotor blades killed four people on the roof and one on the street below. The company stopped flying a month shy of two years later, after another crash:

Wikipedia posted:

On April 18, 1979, Sikorsky S-61L (N618PA), while on departure climbout from Newark International Airport, experienced a fracture of one of the tail rotor blades, resulting in severe vibrations and an immediate return and descent to the airport. At about 150 feet altitude, the entire tail rotor gearbox was torn from the aircraft, resulting in an immediate and radical center of gravity change to the aircraft. This caused a severe nose down attitude and uncontrolled contact with the ground. Compounding the accident was the failure of both hydraulic systems due to the loss of the tail rotor gear box, which rendered the aircraft virtually uncontrollable. There were three fatalities and thirteen serious injuries. The airline ceased flying that day and never resumed operations, filing for bankruptcy the following month.

Emphasis mine -- does the loss of hydraulics really even matter? Or is there some scenario where the tail rotor can fall off and it's still recoverable as long as you still have hydraulics? Also, "virtually"? As far as I'm aware, the tail rotor unassing the chopper makes it completely and utterly uncontrollable.

Also page-number-appropriate:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Trijets, best jets.

And the best airline!

(Except not this specific plane, because....)

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Pictured: two trainers and two turds.

:vince:

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Delivery McGee posted:

Also page-number-appropriate:

She's since had a re-paint:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm surprised no network spy/terror show has done a plot where someone tampers with that rocket to turn it into an ALBM and then hijacks the carrier aircraft.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

I'm pretty sure other than that helicopter with floats on it no plane/helicopter is designed to float. Well especially helicopters. Way too top heavy to do anything other than helocast. Which isn't floating. I mean helicopters are whirling death machines that fly on luck alone. Don't think that luck extends to floating as well.

And a helicopter can fly without a tail rotor. Tail rotor authority is only needed when the main rotor is producing torque ie the aircraft is pulling power. In an extremely well executed autorotation (power off descent) directional control can be maintained. That being said under normal flight conditions on an average day would you be able to do this? Probably not.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Forums Terrorist posted:

Photo taken during engine start on a cold winter morning.

E- oh yeah that's the stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DfTX-IAkdg

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 2, 2016

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

hobbesmaster posted:

How many airlines actually had that 2-4-2 coach layout? I remembered 2-5-2. Its 4" narrower than the 777 which some airlines run 3-4-3 in coach.

You know what? I honestly don't know. My guess is that not only did most airlines not have it, those that did (if there were any) likely got rid of it very quickly.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
I really regret not bidding the L10 while I was flying at ATA. I heard all the stories and it truly was a great aircraft.

ausgezeichnet fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 2, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm surprised no network spy/terror show has done a plot where someone tampers with that rocket to turn it into an ALBM and then hijacks the carrier aircraft.

There was an episode of the Lone Gunman where someone hijacked an airliner's computer system so it'd fly into the WTC. I think it was aired a few months before 9/11.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Linedance posted:

Photo taken during engine start on a cold winter morning.

E- oh yeah that's the stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DfTX-IAkdg

Whatever happened to those dudes who had the RB211 running in their backyard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM7ksfRVF70 These dudes. What a great toy. :v:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

RandomPauI posted:

There was an episode of the Lone Gunman where someone hijacked an airliner's computer system so it'd fly into the WTC. I think it was aired a few months before 9/11.

Yeah, and the rationale was to start a ~Forever War~ with radical Islam.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ausgezeichnet posted:

I really regret not bidding the L10 while I was flying at ATA. I heard all the stories and it truly was a great aircraft.

I've never heard a pilot speak ill of the L1011.

I've never heard a mechanic speak kindly of the L1011.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

"Sound of second crash"

Tower: "Delta go around."

Really on the ball there, chief.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
How many weird short-run aircraft are still in service? I think the only (western) poo poo still in service that I haven't gotten on are Saab 340s and Fairchild Metroliners.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Apropros of nothing, here's a site offering private owners the ability to cruise very slowly and very loudly in style: http://thedc6.com/

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

ApathyGifted posted:

"Sound of second crash"

Tower: "Delta go around."

Really on the ball there, chief.

To be fair, microbursts happen so quickly, and the radio chatter sounds like the tower was giving clearance to take off to another aircraft. It's about 10 seconds between the Captain calling TOGA and the tower giving the order to go around. That really isn't much time.

Also, I remember that episode of Air Disasters/Mayday, as I remember one of the ironies being that the Captain (a veteran pilot) was familiar enough with flying through a micro-burst situation to warn the FO ("You're gonna lose it all of the sudden; there it is!" TS 6:05:20, 1:20 in the video) but still pressed on with the landing rather than calling a go-around when they first encountered the situation.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How many weird short-run aircraft are still in service? I think the only (western) poo poo still in service that I haven't gotten on are Saab 340s and Fairchild Metroliners.

Does the Boeing 767-400ER count? I mean, they made fewer of those than they did TriStars, I think.

How about the Hawker Beechcraft 4000? I saw one of those the other day.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bob A Feet posted:

I'm pretty sure other than that helicopter with floats on it no plane/helicopter is designed to float. Well especially helicopters. Way too top heavy to do anything other than helocast. Which isn't floating. I mean helicopters are whirling death machines that fly on luck alone. Don't think that luck extends to floating as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KM4zHqQIhE

They don't do that mission anymore, though. And I'm not even sure that counts as "floating" because he's still pulling plenty of torque, the chin never touches the water.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
I seem to recall that Air Canada ended up dusting off a bunch of their L1011s that were in the boneyard in the mid 90s to fill a capacity gap until some new Airbus of sorts arrived.

I remember seeing a few flying around in the new livery of the time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

To be fair, microbursts happen so quickly, and the radio chatter sounds like the tower was giving clearance to take off to another aircraft. It's about 10 seconds between the Captain calling TOGA and the tower giving the order to go around. That really isn't much time.

Also, I remember that episode of Air Disasters/Mayday, as I remember one of the ironies being that the Captain (a veteran pilot) was familiar enough with flying through a micro-burst situation to warn the FO ("You're gonna lose it all of the sudden; there it is!" TS 6:05:20, 1:20 in the video) but still pressed on with the landing rather than calling a go-around when they first encountered the situation.

It was normal to fly around thunderstorms like that at the time wasn't it?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

hobbesmaster posted:

It was normal to fly around thunderstorms like that at the time wasn't it?

Someone with better/more accurate knowledge of the incident and the industry about that time will probably correct me, but weather tracking wasn't as good as with the similar American Airlines 1420, and I think the tower and aircraft both thought the weather was better than it was (a Leerjet had apparently made the landing not a few moments before, but didn't report having flown through heavy rains). Even then, if I remember correctly, the weather situation, while bad, was still "better" than what was going on when AA1420 tried to make it's ill-fated landing.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Loving the mental image of a leerjet.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ehnus posted:

I seem to recall that Air Canada ended up dusting off a bunch of their L1011s that were in the boneyard in the mid 90s to fill a capacity gap until some new Airbus of sorts arrived.

I remember seeing a few flying around in the new livery of the time.

I think that's still my favourite Air Canada livery. The new one still looks like minty garbage, IMO.

I flew on an L1011 once, when Air Transat still operated them. I don't really remember much about it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Another loving Allegiant flight had to land in Florida after having mechanical problems.

quote:

An Allegiant Air spokesperson has confirmed that the aircraft that made an emergency landing this morning at St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport is the same one that made an emergency landing yesterday.
Today's emergency landing is the second for the airline at St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport in two days.

Seriously, this has been at least a dozen incidents causing diversions or emergency landings.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
they should try maintaining their air planes

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Loving the mental image of a leerjet.

It'd have the best cockpit

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

quick n dirty

Also http://www.atc-sim.com pushes all my nerd buttons in completely the right way., Start on Kobe to get a grip of things

Yes, it's unrealistic, but it got me looking at STAR charts, because throwing aircraft to 1000ft as soon as they enter your airspace and throwing beacons instead of thinking about headings is easy but probably not good for mountains or people below. Mainly, I wanted to know what a good step down would be depending on how far out they were. Because there must be limits for noise/terrain reasons.

Actually trying to get planes to do what they should is much harder. For example, look at http://opennav.com/pdf/RJBE/JP-AD-2.24.7-RJBE-en-JP.pdf.
Suddenly you can't let them land both ways, and you have to route everything through SIOJI
I imagine it's harder than real life too because planes will just randomly appear in your airspace rather than taking ASANO or AWAJI approaches, and they won't auto-circle a beacon

Then again there isn't Kansai traffic to worry about, so...

All in all it's not SOVIET SAM SIM-level accurate, and it's a shame you have to type strings in, but it's good fun for a couple of hours. I really wouldn't sign up though, not for what it is at the minute, but since it's a one-off payment and not a subscription, I might do it to kick the developer a few dollars if they can add a bit more of a gameplay element

oh and for 1011

simplefish fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

A Thunderbird went down in Colorado during Air Force Academy graduation (no injuries) and I'm also hearing a Blue went down in Tennessee. If true, a lovely day for flight demo squadrons.