Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

does this look like the face of Mercy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Thor-Stryker posted:

You can wonder all you want, just remember that some lovely pubbie will fill the spot you vacate.

-No tanks on payload? Pubbie goes D.Va
-No healers? Pubbie feels you need a third sniper.
-Koth map? Pubbie hears Widow and Bastion make a good team combo
-On Offense? Pubbie is real good at Symmetra he swears.

Don't forget Koth Reinhardt. When that happened to me he eventually changed. It's like cool, all it takes is spiking at least half the match for him to set his ego aside and maybe if we manage a complete shutout from here on out we can still win.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
And now I ran into a Mercy that refused to heal anyone other than the one she was queuing with. She even said so when I asked.

I'm done with solo queue for now.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Why is hanzo considered garbage tier? Is it just because widowmaker is ridiculous?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Germstore posted:

Why is hanzo considered garbage tier? Is it just because widowmaker is ridiculous?

That and "HITBOXES :byodame:", as far as I can tell. He seems plenty strong to me in most pubs.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Germstore posted:

Yes, and that's strictly in competitive. Hanzo is a fine hero for normal play provided you can hit things.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

And now I ran into a Mercy that refused to heal anyone other than the one she was queuing with. She even said so when I asked.

When I complained about one of them she said it was because I was poo poo.

I mean I was golding elims and damage without a goddamn healer but okay lady.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hanzo has the dragons, which in my experience have provided far more utility to the team than the recon visor. Granted, the visor is still useful, just less often.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Germstore posted:

The two really don't compete for team slots despite both ostensibly being snipers. Hanzo's mediocre-ness is entirely separate from Widow, I'd say he more closely competes with the mid-range skirmishers like 76.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i can't think of anything more boring for Mercy than pocket medicking a sniper

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Efexeye posted:

This reminds me of the early days of TF2, where it wasn't uncommon to see three Medics pocket healing a good Sniper just for the assists.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

FAUXTON posted:

Hanzo has the dragons, which in my experience have provided far more utility to the team than the recon visor. Granted, the visor is still useful, just less often.

The Recon Visor is really just a clever bit of social programming to fool the people who think they're elite snipers into actually helping the rest of the team. It's like the spotting mechanics in the Battlefield games where snipers can get auto-spotting scopes...only actually more helpful.

The dragons are a nuke you use to clear the point/payload/snipe people through walls. Or in my last game: chump the team that thought having 2 Bastions sitting right next to each other was a GOOD idea. I mean, sure it protected the Bastions when I was Reaper, but it sure as gently caress doesn't stop the dragons from tearing them a new one.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
mei is slowly becoming teemo

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

someone's cool zenyatta POTG
https://gfycat.com/FlusteredPoliticalJabiru

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

I find Hanzo to be a better sniper if you like being more aggressive. You can OHK most people reliably with a well bounced scatter arrow. The scouting arrow let's you know where to look or even pick someone off around a corner. Not having a cooldown on your climbing ability means you can pretty much go anywhere very quickly or juke people trying to flank you.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

anime was right posted:

mei is slowly becoming teemo

Makes sense since Overwatch is a MOBA.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Been winning all the time since I started blocking/avoiding/reporting everyone who beats me.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yes, and that's strictly in competitive. Hanzo is a fine hero for normal play provided you can hit things.

And if you can't, don't stress it, Hanzo's got you covered and the game will aim for you. I feel like 90% of the team are doing some sort of weird Bastion style contortion on Hanzo's screen which is the only way I can justify the ridiculous hitboxes.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Minrad posted:

I got one this morning with a zarya ult, courtesy of Brannock :buddy:

Turns out a bunch of heroes all floating in one spot get turned into mincemeat with discord headshots.

My Zenyatta game got a lot better when I said "gently caress it" and turned trying to survive with his flimsy rear end to the wind. Just focus on shooting dudes and discording and hope whoever has the harmony orb is somewhere useful and not dead with it, you're like a less lovely Hanzo with a counter-ult to Reaper and Pharah and so on.

Yup, I die a lot more, but also ding and hurt people like crazy. I shoot my balls at their feet when they hide behind the payload too for some extra damage to make them run. I need one of those amazing Zarya ults with Mei's so I can walk up to them and right-click/left-click combo (I bound discord to my right-click so it's easier to cast quickly while they're in my sights).

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
At first I did not like Pharah at all. When I tried playing her she just felt week and all I saw of other Pharahs was them getting shot out of the sky, and not even by Widowmakers. I learned that being on the ground isn't 100% terrible for her and when you are in the sky it's often best to stay low to reduce the odds of a sniper getting eyes on you and making it easier to land your rockets. Use your mobility to get onto a good ledge for flanking, float behind the enemy push and rain rockets down on them, disrupt their positions with her E ability...float right above Reinhardt and press Q while being careful not to be TOO close to his shield. It would be nice if she could cancel her ultimate early, not refunding any charge but letting you move again and not be a big easy to hit target.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

They should get more meta with the plays of the game. A mercy is all over the place healing everyone or a really good Reinhardt is carrying the group? Play of the game is them on the char selection screen picking that character. Show a player who had really bad aim clicking away from widowmaker to someone else. Game itself was boring and routine? Show someone making a basket in the start room or show the most used medkit. Show someone noticing one of the side paths instead of charging down the middle into a shielded bastion over and over.

I got play of the game on D.Va yesterday and fully expected it because I lead the rush in to the point, helped gun down 2 guys, rounded the corner and killed a junkrat who was revving his tire, then charged a reaper over the edge. Play of the game showed a few seconds of me running back from respawn then coordinating with three other team mates to gun down the first two guys. Then it ended, before the junkrat tire or the environmental kill. Everyone was like wtf in the comments.

My friend got one the night he got the game as junkrat. He had killed three guys on the point with a tire then finished off another with grenades, but his play of the game replay was in a side street where he spent a few seconds shooting at a Pharah and missing, then gave up and walked back to the rest of us, died to an ulting genji, but his death grenades killed the genji. So I guess that was for unintentionally saving the rest of us?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
If Torb's turrets count as living things, can you give them armor and shields? (Maybe not shields, since I don't think Symmetra can target them...)

^^ There's a PotG category for interrupting someone's ult. He probably got that one.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

bagrada posted:

My friend got one the night he got the game as junkrat. He had killed three guys on the point with a tire then finished off another with grenades, but his play of the game replay was in a side street where he spent a few seconds shooting at a Pharah and missing, then gave up and walked back to the rest of us, died to an ulting genji, but his death grenades killed the genji. So I guess that was for unintentionally saving the rest of us?

One of the Potg types is "Interrupt" if you stop/delay a character after they use an ultimate. I got one as Mcree for flash banging a Reinhardt after he ulted three people.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

GlitchThief posted:

Makes sense since Overwatch is a MOBA.

it isnt

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Solumin posted:

If Torb's turrets count as living things, can you give them armor and shields? (Maybe not shields, since I don't think Symmetra can target them...)

^^ There's a PotG category for interrupting someone's ult. He probably got that one.

You definitely can't give them shields. I haven't tried armor. You can heal them as Mercy, or plant them on a health pack spot so they heal themselves when damaged if a pack is up.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Aranan posted:

Where is a good place for Symmetra turret placement right at the start on Route 66? I've tried inside the various train cars, but they are all so visible that they get smashed immediately. I tried on the underside of the bridge right after the payload, but it's difficult to place them there and they also don't last long. The gas station doesn't seem like a great place, either. Any suggestions?

I haven't had much chance to play her much on that map, but right around the sharp bend is a good spot to plant some since they can't be seen until you're past the bend, and your team should have the enemy occupied. A couple more above the high exit in that area should also work, and then maybe the remaining ones inside the gas station to zap someone going for the health. Don't bother placing anything near the diner that spot can't be held for long no matter what.

Broken Cog posted:

Switch to Mei and Ice-wall her off at every turn. Sorry!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

One of the Potg types is "Interrupt" if you stop/delay a character after they use an ultimate. I got one as Mcree for flash banging a Reinhardt after he ulted three people.

I interrupted a whole bunch of ults with McCree yesterday, but sadly didn't get PotG for them. Maybe it was because I interrupted them before they could even activate properly. I got a Reaper twice the moment he tried to ult, on the first syllable of die. I got a Reinhardt as he said hammer, before he could actually stun anyone.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Don't forget Koth Reinhardt. When that happened to me he eventually changed. It's like cool, all it takes is spiking at least half the match for him to set his ego aside and maybe if we manage a complete shutout from here on out we can still win.

gently caress you KotH Reinhardt is awesome on some maps (Nepal, for one), you shut your mouth. :colbert:

Efexeye posted:

Why do people keep forgetting Mercy's alt-fire? It literally gives you like 125% damage or something ludicrous like that, I've seen Widows one shot Soldiers or Zaryas with it.

Hell, Mercy boosting a Reinhardt or Winston makes them do some pretty impressive area damage on a point, just need to know when to use it. Damage boost on Mei turns her primary hose into a murder spray. Boost on a Roadhog using his ult is just straight up cruel and unusual punishment for the other team.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I think my favorite thing about this game is interrupting Pharah's ult with a Hanzo headshot. "JUSTICE RAINS FROM AB-......".

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Fuzz posted:

gently caress you KotH Reinhardt is awesome on some maps (Nepal, for one), you shut your mouth. :colbert:

Why do people keep forgetting Mercy's alt-fire? It literally gives you like 125% damage or something ludicrous like that, I've seen Widows one shot Soldiers or Zaryas with it.

Hell, Mercy boosting a Reinhardt or Winston makes them do some pretty impressive area damage on a point, just need to know when to use it. Damage boost on Mei turns her primary hose into a murder spray. Boost on a Roadhog using his ult is just straight up cruel and unusual punishment for the other team.

Does damage amp make Mei's primary fire freeze faster or something?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I seriously like the female characters in this game. They're all cool. And like... This is the second game I can think of that has a Korean woman in it, and the first one where you can't see her panties. It makes me feel, I dunno, represented? It's just nice that there's a cool woman in literally every combat role.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
I wish people understood that you have to stand in the square to get the objective.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Papercut posted:

I think my favorite thing about this game is interrupting Pharah's ult with a Hanzo headshot. "JUSTICE RAINS FROM AB-......".

I like hooking a Reaper just when he starts his ult, preferably before he gets the first DIE all the way out.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

FAUXTON posted:

No, just no. It's not the proper comparison. Widowmaker is a great sniper and Hanzo is just bad design

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grammaton posted:

I wish people understood that you have to stand in the square to get the objective.

I really wish people understood that standing on the objective prevents the enemy from advancing or capturing and having people who can stand on the objective is very very important. So many frigging games are lost because Bastion sits on the side and shoots while a single Lucio pushes the cart in.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

bagrada posted:

You definitely can't give them shields. I haven't tried armor. You can heal them as Mercy, or plant them on a health pack spot so they heal themselves when damaged if a pack is up.

Right, I knew about the health packs, which made me wonder about armor. I'm guessing you can't, but I haven't checked.

Slime posted:

I interrupted a whole bunch of ults with McCree yesterday, but sadly didn't get PotG for them. Maybe it was because I interrupted them before they could even activate properly. I got a Reaper twice the moment he tried to ult, on the first syllable of die. I got a Reinhardt as he said hammer, before he could actually stun anyone.

One of the really nice things about this game is that you don't need another ult to handle someone else's ult. Stop High Noon by shooting McCree in the head, run away from all of the area-clearing ults, shoot Junkrat's tire... they're manageable.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ImpAtom posted:

I really wish people understood that standing on the objective prevents the enemy from advancing or capturing and having people who can stand on the objective is very very important. So many frigging games are lost because Bastion sits on the side and shoots while a single Lucio pushes the cart in.

no one has cared about objectives in years. id wager 80% of FPS players do not even care about team wins/losses as long as their k/d is good.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Goetta posted:

I like hooking a Reaper just when he starts his ult, preferably before he gets the first DIE all the way out.

Haha. It's all about interrupting the cheesy voice lines.

God I hate Reaper so much. I know the character design is supposed to be ironic or whatever, but I can't bring myself to even try him because his voice lines are so stupid.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

It kind has some elements. Like when a useless D.Va (any other kind?) keeps loving feeding ultimate to everyone in the enemy team while doing absolutely nothing herself. Tactical visors and rocket barrages incoming all day :zenpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Papercut posted:

Haha. It's all about interrupting the cheesy voice lines.

God I hate Reaper so much. I know the character design is supposed to be ironic or whatever, but I can't bring myself to even try him because his voice lines are so stupid.

hes real fun and you are missing out