Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I was just learned about there are niggers and there and blacks. God dammit. gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bullfrog posted:

Unemployment among trans Americans is double that of other Americans, and yet this is somehow an "easy issue" that everyone already agrees on. Protecting the rights of minority groups *is* an issue of economic justice.

Don't throw vulnerable groups to the wolves because it doesn't affect you, or you don't think it's a serious enough political topic. It's not a coincidence that all this bathroom poo poo comes at the same time the murder rate for transgender Americans is at an all time high.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/nov/13/transgender-homicide-victims-us-has-hit-historic-high

If this was addressed at me, I agree with you. Moreover, I kinda suspect that Americans' tendency to dehumanize minorities is itself an obstacle to passing broad economic reforms (because, often, it would benefit them the most) so I don't imagine that it "doesn't affect me" -- transphobia, racism, sexism, etc. are all barriers to the solidarity required for my pet movement to succeed.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

lol republicans

Where's the link to the article?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Bi now gay later please find me a full time job that isn't this one. I'm not going to make it until August

goonspeed :(

Shageletic posted:

Ezra didn't retweet the link only the picture :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I was just learned about there are niggers and there and blacks. God dammit. gently caress

Chris Rock quit doing that bit because it was coopted for evil.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Maybe I can find it. What's the Vox article url then.

EDIT: Oh I'm a dummy, its his isn't it?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Shageletic posted:

Maybe I can find it. What's the Vox article url then.

idk, he didn't link it all. just posted the picture

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Shageletic posted:

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Here it is.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

was about to post it

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

zoux posted:

Chris Rock quit doing that bit because it was coopted for evil.

I know. I used to be pretty casually and actually somwhat, no, gently caress it I was racist at one point. I've moved past that thanks in large parts to who I've met and interacted with at college.

The ignorance that I perpetuated is still there and makes my home state look awful. I wish there was something I could do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I know. I used to be pretty casually and actually somwhat, no, gently caress it I was racist at one point. I've moved past that thanks in large parts to who I've met and interacted with at college.

The ignorance that I perpetuated is still there and makes my home state look awful. I wish there was something I could do.

Go forth and be racist no more.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Bullfrog posted:

Unemployment among trans Americans is double that of other Americans, and yet this is somehow an "easy issue" that's totally solved and that everyone already agrees on :rolleyes:

Protecting the rights of minority groups *is* an issue of economic justice.

Don't throw vulnerable groups to the wolves because it doesn't affect you, or you don't think it's a "serious enough" political topic. poo poo IS serious. It's not a coincidence that all this bathroom poo poo comes at the same time the murder rate for transgender Americans is at an all time high.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/nov/13/transgender-homicide-victims-us-has-hit-historic-high

Uh, I get that this is somewhat different because it's very possible these people were killed BECAUSE they were trans, but the murder rate for the US is 6.2 per 100k. If trans persons are .5% of the population (using a reasonable estimate from the data I'd seen), you'd expect them to be victims at about .031 per 100k. Since the US population is ~318.9 million, you'd expect about 99 trans persons to be murdered a year just due to the background murder rate.

Like, I get that trans murder might be happening more often due to conditions across the US, but it's still a rare event, and I'm not sure talking about "all time high" is super meaningful.

edit: And from the article -

quote:

Ahead of this meeting, HRC released its report finding that its count of transgender homicide victims is almost double what it was in 2014, likely on account of better tracking.
I'm not sure how accurate things that just started tracking are going to be.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Arrgytehpirate posted:

There is, and I'll bet you're already doing it to a degree. Non-racist white people have the advantage that racist white people don't automatically reject everything they say out of hand. The fact that racists feel comfortable enough around you to spew their racism gives you a foot in the door. You can disagree, gently and smilingly, and they'll at the very least take it as your real opinion, not something you made up because you have an axe to grind as a minority.

You can't save the world but you can erode the "everybody agrees with me, they're just too afraid to say it" shell these people keep their opinions in.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If this was addressed at me, I agree with you. Moreover, I kinda suspect that Americans' tendency to dehumanize minorities is itself an obstacle to passing broad economic reforms (because, often, it would benefit them the most) so I don't imagine that it "doesn't affect me" -- transphobia, racism, sexism, etc. are all barriers to the solidarity required for my pet movement to succeed.

More so addressing this

Business Gorillas posted:

Sorry if this offends you but I literally don't give a single poo poo who pisses where so long as they have proper bathroom etiquette and learn the social norms for urinal use

Reeks of thought along the lines of "I don't see race!", ignoring the fact that the conflict isn't merely about the bathroom. The reason these issues are important isn't that they're simply offensive or mildly inconveniencing to trans people. Legal discrimination, like the bill in NC is a reflection and perpetuation of attitudes that cause real harm. It's not just that people need to "stop caring as much". We can see that those attitudes directly lead to economic harm (the high unemployment rate among trans americans, or the fact that trans people can still be denied housing for their gender identity) and death (the high murder rate of trans individuals). It isn't a contest to see who can loudly proclaim they care the least about something. When someone, ESPECIALLY a government entity pushes against a vulnerable group, you need to push back. It's both the just and practical thing to do in service of a fair and equitable society.

Business Gorillas posted:

I'm saying it's really easy for a hedge fund manager to pat themselves on the back for being progressive and forward thinking because they Facebook liked an interview with that trans woman from Orange is the New Black.

1. You can't read minds. You can't simply assume they're doing it to get some imaginary liberal points. Surprise, people have opinions because they legitimately care about things!

2. Why would it even matter? Doing the right thing for the "wrong reasons" is still doing the right thing. Hopefully, their opinions are backed up with their daily behavior and actions though.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The Huey P. Newton Gun Club was great, and I'm sure we'll all agree, so what's the problem?
I think it's fine, I just thought it was funny in light of a few posters in the last gunthread being vocal about gun ownership being a symptom of a sick culture that needs to be crushed everywhere if we are to advance as a society.

Doctor Butts posted:

Oh man what a good point, thanks for sharing. This totally explains why pro-gun advocates were calling for teachers to be armed or dedicated police or security roam the hallways with guns.
If we Have To Do Something For The Children, and our offered choices of ineffective, symbolic policy were either a pointless new assault weapon ban or security theater, I can see why gun owners favored the one that didn't affect them personally.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm pretty sure the Huey P Newton gun club general membership would describe American culture as containing elements of a sick culture that needs to be crushed.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dead Reckoning posted:

didn't affect them personally

You don't say.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I find it more concerning that you needed intensive college education to "truly understand" your racism. You could have chosen to not be an open racist, but apparently that is asking too much.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Evil Fluffy posted:

The dumb thing is that letting Obama cut Social Security would've probably made him easier to beat because how the gently caress could he claim to be any less than center-right if he guts social programs?

Or he'll be part of future 6-3 rulings in favor of the ACA while being on the losing side of a bunch of pro-consumer/labor 5-4 rulings. Assuming Garland (or whomever Clinton would appoint) ends up being supportive of those things. She has her iffy connections but I could see her picking someone far left over a moderate she likes more solely as a "gently caress YOU AND YOUR DECADES OF BULLSHIT" response to the GOP.

I'd be surprised if he would start joining the conservatives in balking at the ACA once he's no longer a crucial 5th vote to protect it. For whatever reason I think Roberts may actually believe the ACA is a good thing that needs to exist (maybe he has friends/family personally helped by it) and continue to defend it against blatant lawsuits designed to destroy it at all costs. At this point his legacy would only be hurt if he suddenly swapped to trying to strike it down once conservatives are in the minority on the court.

When Clinton wins does that mean a bunch of these stupid-as-gently caress 3 dem 3 rep led groups (like the FEC?) will get a majority of Dems running it or are they required to be evenly split as to ensure nothing ever gets done?

The FEC is mandated to always have 3 Dems and 3 Republicans. Although, technically the President appoints all the members, but the Senate leadership of the other party gets to put some names up and the President only rejects them in extreme circumstances.

The FCC, SEC, etc would all start stacking with Dem appointees though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

There is, and I'll bet you're already doing it to a degree. Non-racist white people have the advantage that racist white people don't automatically reject everything they say out of hand. The fact that racists feel comfortable enough around you to spew their racism gives you a foot in the door. You can disagree, gently and smilingly, and they'll at the very least take it as your real opinion, not something you made up because you have an axe to grind as a minority.

You can't save the world but you can erode the "everybody agrees with me, they're just too afraid to say it" shell these people keep their opinions in.

This is real good advice. Once you plant that seed of what was wrong, you can work it little by little and hope it blooms into a something good.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

fits my needs posted:

I find it more concerning that you needed intensive college education to "truly understand" your racism. You could have chosen to not be an open racist, but apparently that is asking too much.

It is probably for the best to not start an ideological purity test for people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RuanGacho posted:

It is probably for the best to not start an ideological purity test for people.

Look at the guy who's never felt the swelling ecstasy of righteous indignation.

https://twitter.com/TWCNewsAustin/status/738444116296491008

Oh wouldn't it be grand if this was something.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

fits my needs posted:

Oh, shut up. A person leaving their awful views behind is to be celebrated, you're not doing anything other than congratulating yourself.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

fits my needs posted:

I mean, yeah I hosed up.

I was never let's go to a klan rally and lynch some dudes racist but more like a let's tell jokes at the expense of (insert minority group here), and using slurs of those groups as insults.

Once in college I realized that wasn't really accepted in the world. I met people who shattered the views I had.

The biggest thing is I decided I was tired of carrying around hate and anger when there was no reason to. It's much easier to live just taking people as they are and judging on individual merits.

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 2, 2016

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

zoux posted:

Look at the guy who's never felt the swelling ecstasy of righteous indignation.

https://twitter.com/TWCNewsAustin/status/738444116296491008

Oh wouldn't it be grand if this was something.

I would be deeply amused if Trump somehow managed to destroy Abbot purely through collateral damage but I won't hold my breath.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

fits my needs posted:

Wait, are we nitpicking the process somebody went through to stop being racist?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

fits my needs posted:

Look at this Grand Inquisitor calling out the impure.

People tend to require interaction and perspective to change held beliefs. Shockingly, college is a good place to do so, as you meet people outside of your terrible, racist bubble.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hillary's live on the tv kicking the poo poo out of Donald, at least better than I expected

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

sean10mm posted:

If we admit that racism, or not-racism, is something learned, rather than an inherent quality, why - then we'd have to admit that we're a product of our circumstances, and that we ourselves could have been racist but from our life experiences!

Shame on you for suggesting that "not being racist" isn't evidence of his being innately a good person who does the things good people do.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

sean10mm posted:

It is no longer how "woke" you are, but how early you became "woke".

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
When I was but a lad of three I carefully considered two options, being racist and not being racist. I, being a good person, chose to not be racist, unlike those of lesser moral fiber whose parents informed their early beliefs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aliquid posted:

Hillary's live on the tv kicking the poo poo out of Donald, at least better than I expected

Yeah, I dunno how much of a policy speech this is.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You scare me when you're entirely right.

I'd also add "If you have kids, try to make them better than yourself," on issues of social justice.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Im assuming nothing quotable yet and Hillary is just mashing down on the "Trump gaffe" button to see what comes out in an initial push.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ken Starr has officially resigned from Baylor. In the end what did him in, of all the things it possibly could've been, was doing everything he could to not investigate sexual misconduct

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 2, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

zoux posted:

Yeah, I dunno how much of a policy speech this is.

If she counters his nonsense with policy he'll just say, "That's stupid, she's stupid. I'll do it better and we'll all get hookers and blackjack!" , calling Trump a piece of poo poo as much as possible might be more effective.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

You don't say.
If you think that a policy is ineffective and has a negative effect on your life or the lives of others, I don't see opposing it, even if you agree with the goals it purports to address, as some grave sin. See also: drug prohibition, three strikes laws.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dead Reckoning posted:

lives of others

Go on. :allears:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Trump's response to anything Clinton says until the California primary ends should be;

"Why is Hillary talking as though she's actually sealed her nomination like I have, Bernie still has a chance"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

If she counters his nonsense with policy he'll just say, "That's stupid, she's stupid. I'll do it better and we'll all get hookers and blackjack!" , calling Trump a piece of poo poo as much as possible might be more effective.

Well it's policy now, I guess she was just hyping us up.

• Locked thread