Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Cennxx just tweeted a 1.3.2 feature which sounds very nice; Chest Sorting. I've not dived into 1.3.1 yet (busy with other games and waiting for mods to update) but 1.3.2 talk already is interesting.

https://twitter.com/Cennxx/status/738438013756280832

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

graynull posted:

Cennxx just tweeted a 1.3.2 feature which sounds very nice; Chest Sorting. I've not dived into 1.3.1 yet (busy with other games and waiting for mods to update) but 1.3.2 talk already is interesting.

:hawaaaafap:

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Buttflakes posted:

There's prolly already been a conversation about this and I may have missed it, but- anyone care to share any tips for choosing an ideal map as a homeworld?

At a certain point in your progression post-hardmode you'll be able to get the "clentaminator", an item that lets you rapidly convert large areas to Hallow/Corrimson/Neutral regardless of the spread. The only reason to have a world you don't take into hardmode is if you just want to build something cool, in which case you might want to use the tshock server app which you can use to cheat materials in if you want, or disable enemy spawning entirely and not have to worry about all the bad words for jews getting in the way of building cool stuff.

But you still need to take a world into hardmode that has an NPC village with all the concerns that brings because half of them won't show up pre-hardmode. But those concerns are really overstated. If your NPC farm gets corrimson'd it's not that big a deal to build a new one elsewhere, if you were really attached to the first one just move back once you can clentaminate it.

Oh, as far as things to look for in worldgen it's all moot in hardmode anyway because everything important at that point comes from enemy drops and you're going to have to build boss arenas regardless.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 2, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

graynull posted:

Oh thank christ. Consider me pumped already.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I do wish that they would make the fishing accessories and maybe some others craft-able if crazy expensive, waiting on angler rng for the high test fishing line sucks.

Also, .. chest sorting? Yay. FINALLY.

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

Delicious flakes of butt!
Sorry, by "homeworld" I meant basically I was thinking I'd start a nice pretty world now that I keep returning to and kinda leave sorta natural that already has things like dungeons, pyramids, giant trees, etc or whatever I need.. close together near a good spot for a base, and have maybe a second world where I actually blow poo poo up, summon enemies, mine, etc... I was asking what kinda things I might want and should look for in a base world, like said dungeons and giant trees, etc... Looks like I don't need to do that, tho, and I'm just going to roll with one world.
This game is really detailed and I'm still just kinda trying to figure out how to progress effectively and move along as I continue to get my rear end handed to me.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Multiple worlds are for cowards. Claim your place and bend the world to your will :black101:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I only really start a new world when I get bored of the one I have and want to build a new giant base.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Shyeah, right, like I'm only gonna have statues with gold OR platinum armor in my greathall. Also how are you going to find that ultra-rare magic sword that becomes useless in hardmode if you don't create a hundred new worlds and run across every one?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Buttflakes posted:

Sorry, by "homeworld" I meant basically I was thinking I'd start a nice pretty world now that I keep returning to and kinda leave sorta natural that already has things like dungeons, pyramids, giant trees, etc or whatever I need.. close together near a good spot for a base, and have maybe a second world where I actually blow poo poo up, summon enemies, mine, etc... I was asking what kinda things I might want and should look for in a base world, like said dungeons and giant trees, etc... Looks like I don't need to do that, tho, and I'm just going to roll with one world.
This game is really detailed and I'm still just kinda trying to figure out how to progress effectively and move along as I continue to get my rear end handed to me.
One of the biggest things to keep in mind, that's been mentioned before, that's a reason to not do that is that a bunch of important NPCs are gated behind hardmode things, so you'd need to build an NPC tenement or something in your other world you're actually doing things in. And perhaps keep useful supplies on hand for crafting and resupplying so you don't need to swithc worlds whenever you need more special bullets or whatever.

And then you'd want special crafting stations on hand for things, and at this point, well..

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

just lol if you're not OCD enough to make a Large, Expert Hardmode world completely cleansed of Corruption and Hallow

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Excelzior posted:

just lol if you're not OCD enough to make a Large, Expert Hardmode world completely cleansed of Corruption and Hallow

I'm just barely OCD enough to use a DCU to mine out the entire corruption in a small world.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
Trip report: managed to find my floating islands with a combination of lightning boots, featherfall potions, and wildly firing with a space gun. Found a godly starfury and made a lucky blizzard in a balloon, and made sure to farm up some feathers while I was there. Not gonna get caught without gravitation potions again.

Looted the dungeon and underground deser, and dug around the jungle. Think I found a beehive, so that'll be my next target. There's so much to do, I haven't even touched the underworld yet.

Right now I have two problems. The first is getting a proper herb garden going. I found a staff of regrowth, so I thought I'd try setting up different types of blocks for planting. That was a massive failure, it's too easy to destroy the plants accidentally. I guess planters and pots are the way to go.

My second problem is pretty classic: too much sweet loot! I'm carrying around eight or so weapons because I can't decide on a loadout. I want to try everything it's kind of frustrating actually. I want to try out yoyos, looks like I got a good one from the dungeon, but I don't want half my inventory to be half full of equipment all the time.

I've been playing on two small worlds, so I can do stuff with both the crimson and corruption. My second actaully spawned with all four ores that my first was missing, so that's nice. Doesn't seem necessary at all, but unnecessary cosmetic stuff is like half the game so might as well. Made an expert world today to kill the eye, probably going to give all the expert bosses a shot as I go along.

Long rear end post. Guess this playthrough has me pretty hyped.

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

Delicious flakes of butt!

Zereth posted:

...so you'd need to build an NPC tenement or something...

I basically need to build one of these wherever I'm loving around anyway, right?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
If you're making a world purely for summoning bosses and raiding for ore then you don't technically need NPCs, but you'll probably want the nurse at the very least, and you'll want the guide and clothier for boss farming, and maybe the gunsmith for ammo...so you'll probably end up building housing anyway.

I've never bothered with extra worlds except for plundering loot I can't get in my main one. There's no real downside to doing everything on one world, at the very worst your base gets corrupted for a while until you can remove it with the Clentaminator.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Cicadalek posted:

If you're making a world purely for summoning bosses and raiding for ore then you don't technically need NPCs, but you'll probably want the nurse at the very least, and you'll want the guide and clothier for boss farming, and maybe the gunsmith for ammo...so you'll probably end up building housing anyway.

I've never bothered with extra worlds except for plundering loot I can't get in my main one. There's no real downside to doing everything on one world, at the very worst your base gets corrupted for a while until you can remove it with the Clentaminator.

Three wide gap, line it with stone slab. Like, digging a 4 wide gap and put stone slab on the outside so that corrupt vines can't grow. poo poo ain't hard.
http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Stone_Slab

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
That's why I say "at the very worst". There are plenty of ways to head off the corruption/hallowing early, I'm just saying that if it's too late or you're too lazy, there's not much that can be done to a world that can't be reversed.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Excelzior posted:

But then where will you go to farm corruption/crimson/hallow drops that you really don't need and already have ten chests full? Huh?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

But then where will you go to farm corruption/crimson/hallow drops that you really don't need and already have ten chests full? Huh?
my other world with carefully isolated versions of each biomes

:spergin:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Buttflakes posted:

I basically need to build one of these wherever I'm loving around anyway, right?
If you're just rolling in to make a desert go away to fuel your giant glass dong construction project or something, nah. Or to clown some bosses you massively outclass, or whatever.

If you'll actually be sticking around long enough that the absence of NPCs is a problem, yeah.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Excelzior posted:

my other world with carefully isolated versions of each biomes

:spergin:

Other worlds completely terraformed to the various biomes

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I just hallow my HQ once hardmode kicks in. It's makes things look different and it's pretty much just as safe. Plus, wandering a little further nets you easy fairy dust and you need tons of those. Secondary worlds are for massive deforestation and nothing else.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I apparently went through the pillars and the moon lord with my angler armor equipped, because when I went to put something in my piggy bank I noticed my vortex armor was in there. :shittypop:

I thought I was going through my bullets oddly fast.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Managed to beat expert skeletron. The trick ended up being a 2000 long minecart track stretching from my base to the dungeon with most of it just below the surface > sky transition. I took a couple skull hits then he hovered above me spitting them in front completely missing, then chased the minecart whirling, repeat. I had a couple tense moments when I realized I had forgotten to hammer the track stops to bounce but I got him.

e.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 3, 2016

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Man, before doing that wacky poo poo I would've instead suggested you raid the jungle or something to get max health.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Man, before doing that wacky poo poo I would've instead suggested you raid the jungle or something to get max health.

400 is the max before you kill a hard-mode mechanical boss.

Oh my god, I just crafted the Grand Design and this thing is AMAZING. Place or remove wire stuff from anywhere onscreen, no distance limitations.

e. a word

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Ambaire posted:

Oh my god, I just crafted the Grand Design and this thing is AMAZING. Place or remove wire stuff from anywhere onscreen, no distance limitations.

I always find it a bit aggravating that teleporters can only be acquired post-hardmode, because it's so much easier to run wire across the world without gastropods and poo poo chasing you around. Since apparently you can get this pre-hardmode I'm just gonna suck it up this round and run the wire long before I can actually use it.. or just cheat some porters in.

Fishing becomes so much better when you have a world-spanning teleporter network dropping you at the appropriate locations. Of course it's still mind-numbing if you don't fast forward the clock.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

New world, new devotional.

Blood & Skulls 2 New Patch Boogaloo

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
So I beat Terraria finally. My initial opinion of Terraria's combat hasn't really changed: it sucks really hard. It plays like a really clunky bullet hell except you have to deal with the terrain as well.

Building is still fun, though. I'm probably going to do one last project, once I figure out what I want to do.

I'm thinking maybe I'll make my own dungeon?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Chlorophyte shotbow with holy arrows is real good and almost as fun as confetti bullets.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

:perfect:

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I'm in the middle of my first Martian invasion, and either something is bugged with my game or this event is complete bullshit. It was going fine until the martian saucer showed up, and I can't get rid of or beat the thing. Even when I die, it immediately respawns at full health and homes in on my in my base in a matter of seconds. I can take out it's weapons, or rather the weapon healthbars, because it can still apparently attack with them in the second stage where it zooms around faster than I can aim at it (edit: ok, I exited out and reloaded and it doesn't have the weapons in the second stage any more, just the big beam, so I guess that was bugging, it still constantly spawns though). Then when I die, it again respawns at full health in its first stage. I tried just concentrating on the smaller enemies so I can get the event to 100%, but it is constantly hounding me and attacking me, and I've died soooooo many times to it so far, and it still keeps on coming back.

Doesn't help that the invasion started in the middle of a solar eclipse, which has carried over past the first day, and I'm being attacked by both aliens and monsters. This is really pissing me off, it is not fun in the slightest. Is the saucer supposed to respawn at max health every time you die like that?

Eh! Frank fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 8, 2016

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
The Martian Invasion spawns more than one saucer.

Your best bet is to make a platform with a roof that extends pretty far on either side to avoid the beam. If you have some kind of homing weapon or one that goes through blocks, or summons, even, it makes it a lot easier.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Eh! Frank posted:

I'm in the middle of my first Martian invasion, and either something is bugged with my game or this event is complete bullshit. It was going fine until the martian saucer showed up, and I can't get rid of or beat the thing. Even when I die, it immediately respawns at full health and homes in on my in my base in a matter of seconds. I can take out it's weapons, or rather the weapon healthbars, because it can still apparently attack with them in the second stage where it zooms around faster than I can aim at it (edit: ok, I exited out and reloaded and it doesn't have the weapons in the second stage any more, just the big beam, so I guess that was bugging, it still constantly spawns though). Then when I die, it again respawns at full health in its first stage. I tried just concentrating on the smaller enemies so I can get the event to 100%, but it is constantly hounding me and attacking me, and I've died soooooo many times to it so far, and it still keeps on coming back.

Doesn't help that the invasion started in the middle of a solar eclipse, which has carried over past the first day, and I'm being attacked by both aliens and monsters. This is really pissing me off, it is not fun in the slightest. Is the saucer supposed to respawn at max health every time you die like that?

All of the martian weapons are stopped by blocks. You can literally just build a little house that keeps you out of the rocket explosion radius. The drones collide with blocks when they start their attack run.
Digging a hole might work, too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
So has anyone done anything interesting with wiring, since the new update was all about that? I tried to wire up a minecart network in 1.3 but the system was just too limited to really do anything with.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

So has anyone done anything interesting with wiring, since the new update was all about that? I tried to wire up a minecart network in 1.3 but the system was just too limited to really do anything with.

There's been a trickle of new adventure maps using 1.3.1 features. And you can implement most of Joe Price's giant machines in just a few blocks and some wire now. One of the new 1.3 items lets you place wire anywhere on the screen and even lay down square sections just by dragging with the ruler on.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

dis astranagant posted:

There's been a trickle of new adventure maps using 1.3.1 features. And you can implement most of Joe Price's giant machines in just a few blocks and some wire now. One of the new 1.3 items lets you place wire anywhere on the screen and even lay down square sections just by dragging with the ruler on.

You can literally lay (perfectly straight gapless) wire as fast as you can scroll the screen, it's amazing

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fizbin posted:

You can literally lay (perfectly straight gapless) wire as fast as you can scroll the screen, it's amazing

If they'd just give us that for blocks I might actually build poo poo.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

dis astranagant posted:

If they'd just give us that for blocks I might actually build poo poo.

An accessory like the grand design for block placement would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

The grand design is nice for running around in caves and never getting blown up by traps because you can see and disarm them long before you get anywhere near them (and get free wire)