Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
For those running a flameblast elementalist build, are you planning on going clear mind/mom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Holyshoot posted:

Possibly but I'd rather have all attacks hit.

Does blast rain have a portion that isn't the explosions?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

voltron lion force posted:

For those running a flameblast elementalist build, are you planning on going clear mind/mom?

clear mind is super hard to justify for any non-blood magic build now that blasphemy exists.

its also hard to justify a blood magic build now that blasphemy exists.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
So I think I'm probably going to make a crit dagger Reaver for my first character this league. Is there a better offhand than Death's Hand/other options? And what do you think, should I still run Assassin's Mark for the crit chance or maybe a defensive curse since I shouldn't have a problem maintaining power charges?

The other thing I'm torn about is Assassin vs. Slayer. Slayer seems super awesome but those 2H nodes being worthless make me feel sad. And Assassin with the crazy poison/bleed node seems like it might do some insane damage.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rashomon posted:

So I think I'm probably going to make a crit dagger Reaver for my first character this league. Is there a better offhand than Death's Hand/other options? And what do you think, should I still run Assassin's Mark for the crit chance or maybe a defensive curse since I shouldn't have a problem maintaining power charges?

Relentless Fury on the low end (free culling strike and onslaught on culling strike, can't be chilled during onslaught), soul taker possibly on the high end (you don't give a gently caress about mana unless your golem dies or blood rage wears off).

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 2, 2016

panda clue
May 23, 2014
http://i.imgur.com/X1oOaqP.gifv

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Oh yeah, Soul Taker is cool I guess. Then I could potentially run another aura since I wouldn't need mana, plus no mana leech needed.

e: there's also the comedy option...which is just using a shield.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

What kind of Pathfinder build are you guys playing tomorrow to start with? Pathfinder is my favorite ascendancy but I'm struggling to find something with it that isn't just BV, which I hate. I was thinking about Reave since even though Raider is really good for it, once I added up all the stats most of what you're losing out on is evasion and attack speed.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Rashomon posted:

Oh yeah, Soul Taker is cool I guess. Then I could potentially run another aura since I wouldn't need mana, plus no mana leech needed.

e: there's also the comedy option...which is just using a shield.

It's not comedy at all. https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/tonic317/characters character SixMJewsNoSixSocket . I am max block reaver and I clear stuff with ease and the dps isn't bad. Tool tip gets up to like 160k, not that tool tip is everything. I just pop vaal reave and wb and go to town. The dagger is an 8ex dagger so with cheaper gear it might not be as good but still viable.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Safari Disco Lion posted:

What kind of Pathfinder build are you guys playing tomorrow to start with? Pathfinder is my favorite ascendancy but I'm struggling to find something with it that isn't just BV, which I hate. I was thinking about Reave since even though Raider is really good for it, once I added up all the stats most of what you're losing out on is evasion and attack speed.

Honestly absolutely any life based build gets a bunch of benefits from being a pathfinder. Block is better than Acrobatics due to Rumi's but PF has benefits for both physical and elemental damage dealers.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I was thinking of trying the pathfinder version of the Obliterate Chaos Kinetic Blast, but it would not be my starter character.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1639777

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

gonadic io posted:

As far as I know the explosions from blast rain are considered secondary damage and thus can't miss.

I've read a few times online of people verifying this, but should be easy enough to test myself.

Blast Rain doesn't do secondary damage. You might be thinking of Explosive Arrow.

Blast Rain can miss because it's an attack. So can Explosive Arrow. The secondary explosion component of Explosive Arrow can't miss, but the actual arrow fired can.

Rain of Arrows used to be bugged and would hit targets that it missed. That was fixed a long time ago. I'm not aware of any attacks ignoring Accuracy in the current game aside from Vigilant Strike, Vagan's mod, and Resolute Technique.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Holyshoot posted:

It's not comedy at all. https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/tonic317/characters character SixMJewsNoSixSocket . I am max block reaver and I clear stuff with ease and the dps isn't bad. Tool tip gets up to like 160k, not that tool tip is everything. I just pop vaal reave and wb and go to town. The dagger is an 8ex dagger so with cheaper gear it might not be as good but still viable.

I'm thinking something like that but with juggernaught and sword (for the implicit acc->atk speed boosts)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Holyshoot posted:

Take a look at this build. It's up your alley and uses Lions eye glare so you don't have to worry about accuracy. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1622354/page/1

this looks really cool. it says all map mods but im curious how it handles reflect poo poo

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tykero posted:

Blast Rain doesn't do secondary damage. You might be thinking of Explosive Arrow.

Blast Rain can miss because it's an attack. So can Explosive Arrow. The secondary explosion component of Explosive Arrow can't miss, but the actual arrow fired can.

Rain of Arrows used to be bugged and would hit targets that it missed. That was fixed a long time ago. I'm not aware of any attacks ignoring Accuracy in the current game aside from Vigilant Strike, Vagan's mod, and Resolute Technique.

All I know is that I had accuracy issues with barrage and switching to blast rain + respecing out of most of my accuracy upped my coc procs.

ZyrKx
Dec 10, 2006

Licorice Whip!
I did a flameblast elementalist in the flashback race and got it to 97, if I hadn't done that I would absolutely make it my first build in the new league since it's getting major buffs. I ignored mana regen passives and gear and just ran a mana potion the entire time, the only time it was an issue was in red maps with -60% regen where it slightly slowed the clear speed. Run enfeeble + temp chains on blasphemy and trivialise the entire game except for core bosses and uber.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

ZyrKx posted:

I did a flameblast elementalist in the flashback race and got it to 97, if I hadn't done that I would absolutely make it my first build in the new league since it's getting major buffs. I ignored mana regen passives and gear and just ran a mana potion the entire time, the only time it was an issue was in red maps with -60% regen where it slightly slowed the clear speed. Run enfeeble + temp chains on blasphemy and trivialise the entire game except for core bosses and uber.
Are there other buffs incoming besides the one to Elementalist that I didn't see? Excited nonetheless for it, but I'd be even moreso if there are. :supaburn:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

ZyrKx posted:

Do you have a tree or guide to have a look at?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm tempted to try some sort of lioneyes glare CoC build with Essence Drain. Just poo poo out tons of chaos damage, poisoned deathballs that pierce everything. Only reflect would be the phys from barrage.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

theshim posted:

Are there other buffs incoming besides the one to Elementalist that I didn't see? Excited nonetheless for it, but I'd be even moreso if there are. :supaburn:

Pretty sure nothing for Elementalist has changed since all the 2.3 info got released.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Sotar posted:

It is one of those challenges where if you play a lot of endgame maps, you can do half of it just by playing normally. Killing Atziri 100 times is where the grind is.

1200 voll seems like it would be way easier than 100 atziri. Running voll takes, what? A minute? And that's using MF builds, largely from a year ago? I wouldn't be surprised to see it regularly down to 30 seconds this league. Atziri is 2 minutes with a farming build, plus dealing with the headache of getting sac frags and pubbie trading, and you know midnight is gonna be expensive because of it. If you're a weirdo streamer that has a guild giving you poo poo for free, then yeah, atziri's probably quickest, but voll seems better for the rest of us plebians without sad nerds giving us money.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm probably going to level 5-6 characters this league so maybe in my leveling process I'll get 50-75 kills. I'm not doing Voll 1200 times.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Awesome! posted:

this looks really cool. it says all map mods but im curious how it handles reflect poo poo

For physical reflect, use: BR - CoC - Bladefall - GC - PhysicaltoLightning (Controlled Destruction will be the 6th link)
And most importantly use: Blackgleam quiver !!! (50% Physical to Fire conversion)

For elemental reflect, use: BR - CoC - Bladefall - Controlled Destruction - Increased Critical Damage or Glacial Cascade.
Instead of hatred you can use haste as an aura.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
With the way the challenges are currently I can see myself running HC for the first couple weeks and then starting on SC to finish challenges again.

ZyrKx
Dec 10, 2006

Licorice Whip!

Lungboy posted:

Do you have a tree or guide to have a look at?

I ended up as low life with a 6 link shavs and dual consuming dark for 100% chaos conversion, which won't really work for the new league.

If I was doing it again I'd start with something like this. Links would be flameblast, increased aoe, faster casting, controlled destruction, fire pen, ele prolif.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Holyshoot posted:

For physical reflect, use: BR - CoC - Bladefall - GC - PhysicaltoLightning (Controlled Destruction will be the 6th link)
And most importantly use: Blackgleam quiver !!! (50% Physical to Fire conversion)

For elemental reflect, use: BR - CoC - Bladefall - Controlled Destruction - Increased Critical Damage or Glacial Cascade.
Instead of hatred you can use haste as an aura.

cool thanks. i was just looking through the last couple pages and the author also said

quote:

2.) Bladefall and Glacial Cascade are staged spells, so you cannot one shot yourself to reflect, you always leech with the stages.
which i guess vaal pact makes possible

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Awesome! posted:

which i guess vaal pact makes possible

Nitpick. The spells being staged so each cast hits an enemy 3-4 times has nothing to do with whether it's possible to oneshot yourself on reflect or not. If you somehow got enough damage with Bladefall that each blade was doing 300,000 damage, 10% phys reflect would reflect 30,000 damage to you and oneshot you.

Sure, it's less likely/requires way more investment to be able to do so much damage per tick of Glacial Cascade that each tick oneshots you on reflect compared to say, a 10 stack Flameblast. But that has nothing to do with whether it's possible to do or not.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

right so you can but the chances of actually doing it (especially without insane gear costs) are very slim which is good enough for me

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Hard to imagine it's been 3 months already. So when does the new league launch? edit: Found out. 22 hours counting down!

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 2, 2016

Deegan
Dec 12, 2008
I'm trying to gauge the accessibility of PoE before I download and start it. It looks kinda cool, but my first impression from the OP is that I need to spend 2 days studying all the formulas for equipment and skills before I can actually be effective and have fun. It also sounds like the game doesn't start until 60 and then it is material farming.

I played D2's Eastern Sun years ago and enjoyed the new additions to D2, and the complexity, but never felt like I was experiencing the depth of the game because it was hidden behind an absurd amount of repetitive crafting formulas. I had to spend as much time studying the wiki and researching every single drop's use as I did actually playing. All the conversions, upgrades and triple tier secret recipes became tedious but required to see some content. Demon football field anyone? I got to the level where I could see some of that content and a Baal progression bug ruined my game.

I kinda want to try it and like it, but looking at the skill tree makes me hesitate. My first impression is that 90% of those skills will be 'gain +1 resist' or ''gain +1 spell power' and not actual unique skills. Are there only 2 or 3 specific paths, per character, that will let you see the end game? An optimized path is inevitable, but don't want to keep looking at a wiki every time I level.

Thanks for your input.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you can just follow a build guide and not worry about knowing how everything interacts at first. thats still where i am since last league was my first.

the skill tree is mostly stuff like +10 strength but there are also certain keystone nodes that alter how your character plays (like "your hits can never miss but you can never crit" or "you can place 2 totems but you cant deal damage with any other skills"). there are also the skill gems that you socket in your gear which determines what you can actually use.

I like to think of it like the tree is basically like the stat points and synergies in d2 rolled together and the skill gems are your d2 skills.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Deegan posted:

It also sounds like the game doesn't start until 60 and then it is material farming.

the game starts at level 1 if you're a hardcore character. and the game is made by Grinding Gear Games, so yeah, you grind gear.

Deegan posted:

I kinda want to try it and like it, but looking at the skill tree makes me hesitate. My first impression is that 90% of those skills will be 'gain +1 resist' or ''gain +1 spell power' and not actual unique skills. Are there only 2 or 3 specific paths, per character, that will let you see the end game? An optimized path is inevitable, but don't want to keep looking at a wiki every time I level.

there are practically an infinite number of 'viable' trees at this point. yea, some builds are better than others, some are cheaper than others, etc, but it is legitimately possible to come up with a 100% unique build that is perfectly viable.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
the game is a little daunting at first as it doesn't really hold your hand and has more complicated mechanics compared to most arpgs, but it's pretty easy to pick up and get rolling out the gate

mastering the game is a different story, the limit is really how autistic dedicated you are

there's quite a few builds that are perfectly fine for someone that's never played the game, and it's a lot harder these days to flat out brick your character (probably borderline impossible now)

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

ZyrKx posted:

I ended up as low life with a 6 link shavs and dual consuming dark for 100% chaos conversion, which won't really work for the new league.

If I was doing it again I'd start with something like this. Links would be flameblast, increased aoe, faster casting, controlled destruction, fire pen, ele prolif.

Thanks for that, looks good.

Deegan
Dec 12, 2008

Vasudus posted:

the game is a little daunting at first as it doesn't really hold your hand and has more complicated mechanics compared to most arpgs, but it's pretty easy to pick up and get rolling out the gate

mastering the game is a different story, the limit is really how autistic dedicated you are

there's quite a few builds that are perfectly fine for someone that's never played the game, and it's a lot harder these days to flat out brick your character (probably borderline impossible now)

This is cool. Thanks for the quick responses. I had spent a little time looking back at Eastern Sun....and wow....how did I ever find the time to play that game.

Oh...and what do you think about the story of PoE? I know it is a gear grinder but can you enjoy the lore/story? Is it all about CORRUPPPPTION?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Vasudus posted:

it's a lot harder these days to flat out brick your character (probably borderline impossible now)

yea, if you don't want to bother following a guide, just throw together a build that looks cool that ends up with at least 140% total boosted life from the tree at around level 70 (softcore) and you can't possibly go wrong.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
an example goofy rear end build that someone posted a few days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOK5uJDrzu0

dude is barely trying and is still able to actually kill poo poo, albeit slowly

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Deegan posted:

Oh...and what do you think about the story of PoE? I know it is a gear grinder but can you enjoy the lore/story? Is it all about CORRUPPPPTION?
it has some interesting bits but mostly just fluff to get you from zone to zone like most arpgs

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

panda clue posted:

yea, if you don't want to bother following a guide, just throw together a build that looks cool that ends up with at least 140% total boosted life from the tree at around level 70 (softcore) and you can't possibly go wrong.

*allocates Chaos Inoculation and Eldritch Battery*
"HALP! I KEEP DYING!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Deegan posted:

This is cool. Thanks for the quick responses. I had spent a little time looking back at Eastern Sun....and wow....how did I ever find the time to play that game.

I like to say the game is Diablo 2 2. So if you played Diablo 2 enough to do Eastern Sun, you'll likely love PoE. The lore/story is simple and there's a ton of lore scattered throughout the world you can dig into to construct a rough history of it, if you care to.

• Locked thread