Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Researching blueprints looks interesting, is it a huge isk sink though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
It's a waste of time, just buy them researched on the cheap. Checkout the blueprints channel in-game. Use a calculator to determine if you can even profit with max skills, as it seems like a lot of the items are being manufactured with minerals mined for free

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

bluegoon posted:

Researching blueprints looks interesting, is it a huge isk sink though?

It's not a gigantic isk sink, but it is a waste of time in many cases, especially when you can procure fully researched BPOs for a relatively tiny fee off contracts.

About two years ago, the BPO research system was redesigned, and a bunch of us industrialists ended up with redundant stacks of perfectly-researched BPOs that we had little use for.

e: I'll copypaste my old saw from the last thread (with one tweak):

ullerrm posted:

I'm firmly of the opinion that everyone should do the following things at least once in their eve career:

* Visit some landmarks / key systems: the Eve Gate, Yulai station, Malkalen station, Steve, Titanomachy, Thera
* Set up a Planetary Interaction chain
* Huff gas in a WH
* Build a T1 module
* Invent a BPC for a T2 ship or module, and build it
* Run a data or relic site
* Suicide gank a miner
* Run a lv4 mission (which may include grinding standings to be able to use a lv4 agent)
* Run an epic arc mission
* Set up a small POS with a moon miner, even if it's just atmospheric gases or some other worthless goo

Chances are, for most of these, you'll cry out, "holy poo poo this is terrible, why do pubbies pay $15/mo to do this?" But you'll be wiser for the experience. (Alternately, you might go "this isn't so bad" and have knowledge, and often an income stream, that few Goons possess.)

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 2, 2016

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

jm20 posted:

It's a waste of time, just buy them researched on the cheap. Checkout the blueprints channel in-game. Use a calculator to determine if you can even profit with max skills, as it seems like a lot of the items are being manufactured with minerals mined for free

Yeah that's not a bad idea.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

bluegoon posted:

Yeah that's not a bad idea.

I was eyeing the Cerberus but the price was a bit crazy, something 200m I think, so think actually building a few might be worth a shot, maybe mine the minerals myself or something.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
My sock is full. My schedule was clear. I ratted for 16 hours today (took a 3 hour break in the middle to take care of a 6 year old). Made 700m in ticks, 10/10 sold for 90m, ~150m loot, and 3 loving faction spawns. One happened to be good and dropped ~190m implant.

Pretty great day. :homebrew:

Now, need the solo sansha 10/10 fit!

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

FranktheBank posted:

So, ratting fleet is highly successful. Looking at doing 8/10s and 10/10s solo. For now, I have 1 account to solo it with. (The other accounts aren't gonna have injectors for a while) I saw some Golem, Paladin, and Tengu fits that said 10/10 solo. I was curious on how active they are?

What I mean by active is am I like turning off 1 active, activating another and in general lots of micro. I am too dumb and bad for that.

I -assume- I only have two options:

Get a ship that lands on grid, orbits something and fire whatever (assuming missiles) and deploy drones.
or
Get a ship that jump drives to somewhere, sits and tanks while firing stuff.

DISCLAIMER: I have a very, very, very limited knowledge about fits and weapons and pretty much everything that isn't drone boat ratting in a VNI. So if my assumptions are incorrect, let me know.

The more information the better. You might have to explain it like i'm an idiot because I am.

10/10s are really the only thing worth doing anymore due to the escalation rate. A/B/C-type loots are in shorter supply generally, but are also inferior to x-type and thus less expensive.

It also depends what pirate faction you plan to do 10/10s against - though generally it's best to use a Tengu if you're not 100% in safe space - being able to evade gatecamps with nullification is very useful.

That being said, I did a ton of mazes (guristas 10/10) in a vargur to grind my way into an aeon - it was a lot of fun, and burned through the site in 12 minutes.

Sad side story, I tried to export that vargur during the fall of deklein, and the geniuses that Zephyrine employed used a non-NPC corp freighter with an active wardec - and I didn't ask for collateral because I was used to padded helmets.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
I heard a lot of good things about the Tengu soloing Sansha 10/10s. Killing only what needs to be killed to go to the next room. What kind of fit would I be looking at?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

FranktheBank posted:

I heard a lot of good things about the Tengu soloing Sansha 10/10s. Killing only what needs to be killed to go to the next room. What kind of fit would I be looking at?

I would tell you but I don't know. The only person who ever admitted to doing Tengu 10/10s taunted me with the ISK they earned and nothing else. suzy rc mudstone

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I think I accidentally caught the wrong thread, so here my question again, if anyone would have some advice:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Hey fitting-folks/miniluv-folks,

is this fitting at all feasible to move small amounts of BPCs or implants around highsec on a neutral alt with max skills using instadock and -undock bookmarks in Jita?
I figured the shield extenders and resistance amplifiers may be useful to protect against single remote-sensorboosted suicide-gankers that may try to off you out of simple suspicion of high value cargo, despite not being able to cargoscan you, figured the 19m signature radius increase wouldn't make too much of a difference in those cases.

And by small amounts, I mean 300-600 million tops

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I think I accidentally caught the wrong thread, so here my question again, if anyone would have some advice:

It'll work as long as you're on the ball. But, if they can cargoscan you even once, they'll smartbomb you. I'd use a blockade runner.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 2, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That thing warps in 1.9 seconds, even if they were doing a hellcamp and managed to lock you with a rsebo'd loki, cargo scan takes longer than a second iirc. Is this even in the realm of possibility? I mean, who exactly goes around trying to gank fast traveling intys in highsec.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

ullerrm posted:

If they can cargoscan you even once, they'll smartbomb you. Use a blockade runner.

I'm a little confused...if a smartbomb does 300 damage and a battleship can fit 8, wouldn't the two MSEs and resists require a ganker to have like 3+ battleships at upwards of 700-800 million in value to pop an interceptor at just the right time and spot on a gate?

I know you're never really safe anywhere, but I was planning on ferrying maybe two or three implants and/or BPCs at a time, and maybe twice per week, so I'd be surprised if people would try to put in that amount of dedication and resources to catch a 9,300 EHP interceptor with 1.9s align time that flies across high-sec once or twice per week?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

ullerrm posted:

It'll work as long as you're on the ball. But, if they can cargoscan you even once, they'll smartbomb you. I'd use a blockade runner.

Blockade runner roulette isn't unheard of. Would probably be harder to set up a coordinated smartbomb camp ahead of an interceptor than to get lucky on an instalock or decloak on a BR.

Of course the real correct answer is a collateralized courier contract. Red Frog/Blue Frog are way cheaper than losing your expensive poo poo because you wanted to save a few isk.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Morris posted:

Blockade runner roulette isn't unheard of. Would probably be harder to set up a coordinated smartbomb camp ahead of an interceptor than to get lucky on an instalock or decloak on a BR.

Of course the real correct answer is a collateralized courier contract. Red Frog/Blue Frog are way cheaper than losing your expensive poo poo because you wanted to save a few isk.

I've looked up Red Frog/Blue Frog and the prices are 45 million and 100 million for maybe 20 jumps...that's considered cheap these days? Instead of moving two to three BPCs in a way that would require a ganker to invest time, coordination and resources considerably more valuable than your cargo to kill you?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I read that as BPOs rather than BPCs. Regardless the tanked interceptor is probably a better bet than a BR that might get shot just to see what's inside.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!
Just use the Luxury Yacht. Hit warp then cloak and off you go. Mine is fit with all istabs plus a DC, covert cloak and MWD. My rigs are Hyperspatials, but you can use extenders if you're really worried about it. I warp to an insta undock, cloaking on the way before I land, then I warp to gate. After I jump, if there are any ships on gate with me, I click warp->cloak and off I go again. With my hyperspatials, I'm warping at 10.4AU/s, so it's going to be difficult for someone to keep up with me, even if they do manage a miracle cargo scan.

With the DC, I'm sitting at 22,140 EHP (with my alts skills). It's only got 30m3 of space, but that's plenty for BPCs/BPOs/implants.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Your travelceptor will do fine. I've moved AT ship BPCs in something similar and nobody's ever paid me the slightest attention while doing so.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

If you want to bling out your Yacht, you can actually make it warp in under 2 seconds as well.

Midslot is kind of a wildcard, some people fit MWDs, some people fit Burst Jammers, or a Large Shield Extender - really it doesn't matter so long as you remember that using a Burst Jammer in highsec might not be a great idea.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
like, you could count on one hand the number of interceptors that get smartbombed in highsec, and then you're putting tank on yours unlike theirs. the number of legitimately smartbombed tanked interceptors in highsec is probably zero.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with using an interceptor over another ship, as long as you don't AFK, in which case a brick tanked covertops t3 is better, as long as you don't go over a billion isk.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

ullerrm posted:

I wouldn't even use a BR.

For hauling BPC's, use a cloaky frig instead.

You want a frig that can warp while cloaked.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If you're going from jita to elsewhere, use a JF to bounce it off of the Jita undock to some lowsec border station and then move it with a blockade runner once you're off the main pipes.

If you're going from elsewhere to Jita, use the yacht with a large shield extender and make sure that you have an instadock bookmark.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
If you're moving ~100m3 or less, use a yacht or travelceptor. Value of cargo doesn't really matter. Cloaky+align T3s/BRs are fine as well, just don't afk and warp to instant dock BMs.

If you're moving ~60,000m3 or less, use a DST with max tank and an MJD. You're shooting for 120k EHP or more at least, omni. (cloak and MWD is highly recommended as well)

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Can someone :eng101: me a cloaky Tengu fit?

I'm hunting in space where rats shoot EM/Thermal

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Hunting ratters? I don't think I've seen a tengu for cloaky hunting before. What does it bring to the table that something like a proteus would not?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Deofuta posted:

Hunting ratters? I don't think I've seen a tengu for cloaky hunting before. What does it bring to the table that something like a proteus would not?

I've been dunked on by tengu's in dek before.

Why is a proteus better?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oodles posted:

I've been dunked on by tengu's in dek before.

Why is a proteus better?

Mostly, damage output. Cloaky Tengus generally don't have great DPS; with a slightly pimped max-DPS setup (5x HAMs and 3x faction BCSes) you're doing ~400dps with faction ammo, ~480dps with Rage. For comparison, a cheap T2-fit cloaky blaster Prote does ~460dps with CNAM, ~520 with Void, with a cheap T2 fit. Cloaky rail Protes with faction MFSes do ~475dps with CNAM.

Also, the Prote can scram at long range if you take that subsystem.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

ullerrm posted:

Mostly, damage output. Cloaky Tengus generally don't have great DPS; with a slightly pimped max-DPS setup (5x HAMs and 3x faction BCSes) you're doing ~400dps with faction ammo, ~480dps with Rage. For comparison, a cheap T2-fit cloaky blaster Prote does ~460dps with CNAM, ~520 with Void, with a cheap T2 fit. Cloaky rail Protes with faction MFSes do ~475dps with CNAM.

Also, the Prote can scram at long range if you take that subsystem.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Fly a Proteus, if you have the skills for it. You get naturally high EM/Thermal resist and boatloads of extra damage, on top of the safety of a long-range scram.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
A tengu is strictly better than a Proteus for hunting in Serpentis and Guristas space because a cloaky proteus can only do kinetic and thermal damage, which is exactly what the ratters will be fit to tank. I had some reasonably good luck ganking fancy ratting ships with a cloaky nullified HAM tengu a few years ago. These days, however, the stratios just does it better; the only real reason to use a Tengu is if you're uncomfortable dealing with bubbles or don't have any SP invested in drones at all for some reason.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

A tengu is strictly better than a Proteus for hunting in Serpentis and Guristas space because a cloaky proteus can only do kinetic and thermal damage, which is exactly what the ratters will be fit to tank. I had some reasonably good luck ganking fancy ratting ships with a cloaky nullified HAM tengu a few years ago. These days, however, the stratios just does it better; the only real reason to use a Tengu is if you're uncomfortable dealing with bubbles or don't have any SP invested in drones at all for some reason.

Yep, this is true. That said, he said he was "hunting in space where rats shoot EM/Thermal" -- in which case, being K/T (or the pure K of a gank Tengu) isn't that bad.

Ironically, in this case, he'd prefer CNAM over Void, because CNAM has more K than T, whereas Void is equal amounts of both.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Does it make sense to join goon waffe as a newbie with no money? In terms of having fun and learning the game and have stuff to do. Alternatively how does one join Videogames' chill mining guild?

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Sekenr posted:

Does it make sense to join goon waffe as a newbie with no money? In terms of having fun and learning the game and have stuff to do. Alternatively how does one join Videogames' chill mining guild?

join that or groon

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Sekenr posted:

We love new players. The most lucrative decision you can make is to join goonwaffe and just innocently ask your questions.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"What kind of ammo do I put in my warp scrambler?" once got a newbie about a billion or so, back in 2011

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Sekenr posted:

To join RVCMF, open the Corporations menu on your NeoCom (click the icon above your portrait > Social > Corporations), search for Rock Venture, right-click the search result for Rock Venture Chill Mining Friends corp. > Show Info, click the Apply to Join button. VG doesn't have a recruitment thread or any out-of-game forums or anything.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
Are there any good resources online that I can do some reading to learn basic principles and ideas for learning to get better at pvp? I primarily want to understand how to start thinking about fitting and how to recognize if I have the right ship/fit for a particular engagement in pvp. I hope this question makes sense. I don't have a lot of successful experience with pvp.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Nunes posted:

Are there any good resources online that I can do some reading to learn basic principles and ideas for learning to get better at pvp? I primarily want to understand how to start thinking about fitting and how to recognize if I have the right ship/fit for a particular engagement in pvp. I hope this question makes sense. I don't have a lot of successful experience with pvp.

I didn't begin to understand modules until a year in, and just filled mids with hardeners and used cruise missiles on PVE battleships because lol 200km range (farther is good, right?)

You can pvp in whatever you want, but if you want to win you have to recognize which fights to take.

If I recognize a ship by name it's because I've been killed by it several times.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
there was a great blog by... azual skoll? it touched on some great points and was good food for thought.

I can't name any single resource, but I will recommend blogs and articles about game mechanics on eve news sites.

ullerm do you have a blog? would you consider doing one, it would be worth reading a stream of consciousness about game mechanics topics by you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
Yeah any reading you can throw my way would be awesome as I usually learn well that way. I did see some stuff from Azual Skoll but it was from around 2011-2012. Would it still be accurate? Yeah I really need to hurry up and join some sort of group and not try to do it alone, but I feel like I want to understand the fundamentals and theory rather than show up somewhere and just do what people tell me without understanding why it is being done that way.

• Locked thread