Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Remember when everyone flipped their poo poo when a Trump supporter punched a guy in the back of the head? He didn't have poo poo on these guys:

Anti-Trump protestors, because violence is only bad when the people we don't like do it!

Because people here are totally cheerleading this. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Picking Perez seems risky to me and Hillary is easily one of the most risk-averse calculators out there. I just don't see it :\

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Oh yeah I remember the pages and pages of cheerleading of violence against Trump supporters.

Only violent rhetoric here is calling for lining up predatory bankers and we're only half serious. Some 3/4.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Oh yeah I remember the pages and pages of cheerleading of violence against Trump supporters.

Only violent rhetoric here is calling for lining up predatory bankers and we're only half serious. Some 3/4.

100% of the time.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I like Tom Perez, but its kind of a sleeper pick that doesn't get a lot of people excited name wise.

I didn't know a drat thing about him until just now, but I like what I hear.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

yes I'm sure protests will catch the public interest this time, it's different from all the others, and will certainly crack the veil of total apathy toward violence this nation embraces to its core. mass shootings don't even make the news anymore, but some guy getting punched will

This crops up every time Trump has a bad day I swear.

Anyway the comparison you want to make is with the girl who got jumped by a van full of people shouting Trump or the homeless guy beaten half to death by people shouting Trump or that guy doing donuts in the middle of a crowd of protesters

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bunleigh posted:

Does Paul Ryan have any actual political skills at all? He comes off as basically a high school libertarian who never outgrew his childish ideas on how the world works. He managed to maneuver himself into the exact same lovely spot Boehner spent 5 miserable years in, without securing any kind of leverage for himself at all. Now he seems to have done the same with Trump. He held out for a random amount of time and then endorsed the guy with seemingly nothing to show for it. Hell of a player, that Paul Ryan.

I'm starting to get the idea that whenever Republicans herald an up and coming politician it's like saying a kid is the best player in region where it turns out the region sucks and he's been dunking on four foot losers.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

Also, if a narcissist starts a cult as a scam, they almost invariably end up believing the lies they're peddling after it's successful.

While we're playing armchair psychologist, or armchair historian? Isn't Trump's power structure similar to Hitler and other big dicts?

A bunch of tiny satellite groups all fighting each other and with infighting that go through a central figure?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

DemeaninDemon posted:

the only thing that I want to break is my chains

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Who would be a good pick for Sander's VP?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

boom boom boom posted:

Who would be a good pick for Sander's VP?

Tinkerbell

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Because people here are totally cheerleading this. :allears:

And no one here is denouncing it. Or even acknowledging it as even negative, and demonstrated below:

DemeaninDemon posted:

No acknowledgement, no repudiation.

Epic High Five posted:

yes I'm sure protests will catch the public interest this time, it's different from all the others, and will certainly crack the veil of total apathy toward violence this nation embraces to its core. mass shootings don't even make the news anymore, but some guy getting punched will

This crops up every time Trump has a bad day I swear.

Anyway the comparison you want to make is with the girl who got jumped by a van full of people shouting Trump or the homeless guy beaten half to death by people shouting Trump or that guy doing donuts in the middle of a crowd of protesters

The protester violence isn't even acknowledged here, and immediately dimissed by the 'both sides do it' perspective.

This isn't cropping up every time Trump has a bad day, it's occurring when he has a rally.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

duz posted:

Just wear a skirt instead, you'll look better in every way.

Yeah really. I am getting pretty jack these past few months. I will just put on enough muscle that no one will gently caress with me. And everyone can see my amazing calves.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Have you ever looked into sarongs?

Hmmmm... Not bad.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

And no one here is denouncing it. Or even acknowledging it as even negative, and demonstrated below:

If you aren't getting a lot of comments it's probably because you make the same poo poo-and-run post every time. It's always a link from some crap source accompanied by a "heh liberals." When it fails to get any play you find another garbage news article and do it again.

It's boring. Just shut up.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Stultus Maximus posted:

Have you ever looked into sarongs?

I am unabashedly pro-sarong, although personally I'm more about kurtas (aka "have you considered... making your loose shirt go all the way down?"). Extremely lazy, surprisingly snazzy, and well-suited to tropical and semitropical hellscapes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its safe to say that the reason there isn't some big denouncement of violent protests tonight is because its clearly a handful of idiots throwing a couple of punches and committing small acts of vandalism. Bad, criminal behavior but safely within the confines of "in a big enough group some people will be assholes".

There weren't exactly riots. And the reason it doesn't have the same impact as a Trump supporter slugging someone is because those incidents are usually accompanied with audio of Trump saying something like "I'll pay the legal bills" or "in the good old days he wouldn't walk out" while these sort of incidents usually come with Trump's opponents condemning violence.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

No acknowledgement, no repudiation.

The protester violence isn't even acknowledged here, and immediately dimissed by the 'both sides do it' perspective.

This isn't cropping up every time Trump has a bad day, it's occurring when he has a rally.

No one knew about it until you brought it up and everyone has been saying "yeah that's lovely" so what more do you want exactly?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

probably wants us to see the error of our ways and convert to the candidate of peace and pacifism, Donald J Trump

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Litany Unheard posted:

If you aren't getting a lot of comments it's probably because you make the same poo poo-and-run post every time. It's always a link from some crap source accompanied by a "heh liberals." When it fails to get any play you find another garbage news article and do it again.

It's boring. Just shut up.

It's a link with multiple videos of protesters surrounding people, pelting them with eggs, and assaulting them, witnessed by multiple sources.

Tell me exactly how different my approach to the usual USPol conversation (post embarrassing republican tweet/link). If the entire political spectrum isn't fair sport in the USPol thread, then mods should change the thread title to specify this.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

It's a link with multiple videos of protesters surrounding people, pelting them with eggs, and assaulting them, witnessed by multiple sources.

Tell me exactly how different my approach to the usual USPol conversation (post embarrassing republican tweet/link). If the entire political spectrum isn't fair sport in the USPol thread, then mods should change the thread title to specify this.

It's DnD I'm not sure how you missed the legions of commies and pacifists.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Boon posted:

Ah yes, the most casual of business casual attire. The short pants, or just shorts for short.

Yeah, it should be OK and it's kind of bullshit that it's not :colbert:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

He's implying we're all partisan hypocrites because we aren't losing our minds over a Trump supporter getting egged but we did when Trump was openly encouraging political violence at his rallies a few months ago.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

The Iron Rose posted:

No one knew about it until you brought it up and everyone has been saying "yeah that's lovely" so what more do you want exactly?

No one has said it's been lovely.

Epic High Five posted:

probably wants us to see the error of our ways and convert to the candidate of peace and pacifism, Donald J Trump

What would be great to see in this thread is being able to mock everyone on the political spectrum.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Fine.

Violence in all forms (except against predatory capitalism) is wrong and you should wag your finger at it and give a stern talking to the violent individual.

I'm so terribly sorry for not being on a high horse in the uspol thread. At least I'm not cheering it on and masturbating into my ammo box like Trump supporters do. Now politely go piss off.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

it makes me real sick to see trump supporters and Steven crowder get punched at rallies. makes me want to vomit.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Rhesus Pieces posted:

He's implying we're all partisan hypocrites because we aren't losing our minds over a Trump supporter getting egged but we did when Trump was openly encouraging political violence at his rallies a few months ago.

What's crazy is, protesters didn't even need anyone to to encourage political violence, they did it on their own! But I'm getting the sense that that makes it better.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Candidates saying embarrassingly ignorant/sexist/xenophobic/fascist/misogynist/etc things or contradicting themselves and lying about it are different from protesters starting poo poo because the former is/are unexpected and the latter really isn't. I hope this aids in your understanding of the neurotypical mind. Goonspeed.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

smell this posted:

it makes me real sick to see trump supporters and Steven crowder get punched at rallies. makes me want to vomit.

If you sucker punch someone you deserve to be beaten purple.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

No one has said it's been lovely.

What would be great to see in this thread is being able to mock everyone on the political spectrum.

You can do whatever you please but you also need to defend your positions. I've explained why I'm not OUTRAGED and I think this will come to nothing, because not much happened and it never has. It's lovely but it's also everybody doing it and nobody actually cares, including yourself by how you're putting this out there, so :effort:

What I absolutely do not feel the need to do is defend the honor of a white supremacist holding a rally in San Jose after excoriating a federal judge for having the audacity to have two legal Mexican immigrant parents, who not too long ago openly said he'd love to see more violence at his rallies, and WHOOPS looks like there's some people getting worked up.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Epic High Five posted:

You can do whatever you please but you also need to defend your positions. I've explained why I'm not OUTRAGED and I think this will come to nothing, because not much happened and it never has. It's lovely but it's also everybody doing it and nobody actually cares, including yourself by how you're putting this out there, so :effort:

What I absolutely do not feel the need to do is defend the honor of a white supremacist holding a rally in San Jose after excoriating a federal judge for having the audacity to have two legal Mexican immigrant parents, who not too long ago openly said he'd love to see more violence at his rallies, and WHOOPS looks like there's some people getting worked up.

I totally respect this.

Not asking you to defend Trump though, that was never a aspect to this at all. The poo poo with the judge is hilariously terrible.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

You know, I think the funniest thing about the judge situation is that I'm certain he STILL doesn't understand how deeply and fundamentally offensive it is to even a lot of party line conservatives.

He thinks it's just say the magic word and everybody is on your side situation, but it's literally a direct assault on the validity of the American dream if a non-white achieves it with no dog whistles or anything

Paul Ryan approves!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Partisanship: drawing a distinction between just acts and unjust acts.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Epic High Five posted:

You know, I think the funniest thing about the judge situation is that I'm certain he STILL doesn't understand how deeply and fundamentally offensive it is to even a lot of party line conservatives.

He thinks it's just say the magic word and everybody is on your side situation, but it's literally a direct assault on the validity of the American dream if a non-white achieves it with no dog whistles or anything

Paul Ryan approves!

I 100% in agreement with you -- I don't know if it's because he's surrounded by yes men or he's amassed a large white support base, but I don't think he can even see the racism behind it anymore. He gets cheers and sees his ratings go up when he shouts about the !mexicans!, it can't be bad because so many people react positively to it.

I cannot wait until we see how the general election turnout out is among minority voters, or the epic shitstorm that follows on cable news about the historic low minitory turnout he received.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
His base believes affirmative action is the reason behind any and all minority promotions. So going after the judge just feeds that.

The gop will not learn either.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Necc0 posted:

Picking Perez seems risky to me and Hillary is easily one of the most risk-averse calculators out there. I just don't see it :\

What are his risks?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

FAUXTON posted:

What are his risks?

There's a risk that he might solidify the base but be too left-wing for middle America. There's a risk that a woman and a Latino on the ticket might alienate more voters than it brings in. There's a risk that big money donors will decamp for the GOP or simply sit this one out because they think that he's a sign that a Clinton Administration will be too hostile to them. I'm sure that I can think of other risks if I thought about it for a little while.

I like the guy and from what little I know about him he seems like a decent fit. But let's not pretend that we represent mainstream political thought or that we represent anything more than a small slice or the electorate. There are always other considerations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zeroisanumber posted:

There's a risk that he might solidify the base but be too left-wing for middle America. There's a risk that a woman and a Latino on the ticket might alienate more voters than it brings in. There's a risk that big money donors will decamp for the GOP or simply sit this one out because they think that he's a sign that a Clinton Administration will be too hostile to them. I'm sure that I can think of other risks if I thought about it for a little while.

I like the guy and from what little I know about him he seems like a decent fit. But let's not pretend that we represent mainstream political thought or that we represent anything more than a small slice or the electorate. There are always other considerations.

Okay now stop comparing a Hillary-Perez ticket to something like a Romney-Ryan ticket and start facing the reality of who the GOP nominee is.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Tom Perez would also be awesome because we could get 24 years of progressive candidates for President. He could totally run in 2024 after our 8 years of Hillary.

How amazing would that be!

I don't think he'd polarize voters more than Trump already has.

I still want Trumps VP nominee to be Gingrich though.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 3, 2016

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
I think the biggest issue with Perez is that he's been appointed to everything while the only office he ran for he was disqualified on a technicality during the primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Tom Perez has a really bad hairline, and thus will not be picked for VP nor would be be able to run for President.

100% serious.

• Locked thread