Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
panda clue
May 23, 2014

Apoplexy posted:

I like to say the game is Diablo 2 2.

I always say this game is Diablo 3, because it is far more of a natural progression of a game from Diablo 2 than Diablo 3 will ever be :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Thanks for the CoC Blast Rain build. I'm going to check that one out tomorrow. I've avoided CoC in the past since it used to have a much higher barrier to entry with gear.

I was interested in that discharging juggernaut, but that seems to be the most popular build everywhere I look. I made the mistake of playing The ZiggyD Build (it was his arc build for... rampage I think?) and it was not super fun having all the items he recommended be super expensive. I'll try this CoC build and then see what else people are cooking up. I'm a little bummed they didn't try to bring some more skills up closer to the Earthquake range since that one just kind of pushes all the inferior skills out of the way.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

goddamn it, izaro died, but so did i.

edit: plus side, i'm glad i finally came around to summon raging spirits. dunno how I'd missed it back in act 1.

Trebuchet King fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 3, 2016

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MerrMan posted:

I'm a little bummed they didn't try to bring some more skills up closer to the Earthquake range since that one just kind of pushes all the inferior skills out of the way.

They nerfed earthquake helm because earthquake was way too powerful.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

TheRat posted:

They nerfed earthquake helm because earthquake was way too powerful.

We don't know for sure yet. Right now the lvl 66 Enchantment is 30%, and it's being nerfed to 20%. The lvl 75 Enchantment which is not available right now might be 30%, which would mean it's the exact same (though the hats would be worth way more because of the lvl 75 lab gating).

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The 75 EQ enchant on a good helm is going to cost infinite money

panda clue
May 23, 2014

TheRat posted:

The 75 EQ enchant on a good helm is going to cost infinite money

this cost me 9ex in perandus:

and there are going to be far less runs of the 75 laby happening, so yeah.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

panda clue posted:

and there are going to be far less runs of the 75 laby happening, so yeah.

Rumours from the alpha-people say that the lab is retardedly hard too.

(about hc) "Lol at all these people thinking they will have 8 points on their first characters"

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Deegan posted:

I'm trying to gauge the accessibility of PoE before I download and start it. It looks kinda cool, but my first impression from the OP is that I need to spend 2 days studying all the formulas for equipment and skills before I can actually be effective and have fun. It also sounds like the game doesn't start until 60 and then it is material farming.

I played D2's Eastern Sun years ago and enjoyed the new additions to D2, and the complexity, but never felt like I was experiencing the depth of the game because it was hidden behind an absurd amount of repetitive crafting formulas. I had to spend as much time studying the wiki and researching every single drop's use as I did actually playing. All the conversions, upgrades and triple tier secret recipes became tedious but required to see some content. Demon football field anyone? I got to the level where I could see some of that content and a Baal progression bug ruined my game.

I kinda want to try it and like it, but looking at the skill tree makes me hesitate. My first impression is that 90% of those skills will be 'gain +1 resist' or ''gain +1 spell power' and not actual unique skills. Are there only 2 or 3 specific paths, per character, that will let you see the end game? An optimized path is inevitable, but don't want to keep looking at a wiki every time I level.

Thanks for your input.
For what it's worth I've put something like 175 hours into PoE over six characters or so and have a loving blast with every new character I play, but I've never once gotten someone over level 65 or even seen a single map (the endgame loot runs) drop. You can have a ton of fun with this game without getting into endgame grinding/optimization poo poo.

EDIT: But wait until tomorrow to play, there's a new league starting then.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 3, 2016

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Hell even with only basic game and itemization knowledge (IE nothing beyond "get hp and resists, everything else is gravy") and a bog standard cookie cutter build guide you can easily get to yellow level maps. That's plenty for farming enough currency to start another neat character that might need some low to mid level uniques.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Deegan posted:

I kinda want to try it and like it, but looking at the skill tree makes me hesitate. My first impression is that 90% of those skills will be 'gain +1 resist' or ''gain +1 spell power' and not actual unique skills. Are there only 2 or 3 specific paths, per character, that will let you see the end game? An optimized path is inevitable, but don't want to keep looking at a wiki every time I level.

Passive tree, not skill tree - the difference is important.

The passive tree, indeed, has a lot of things like you mention, but some of the keystone nodes do have major impacts on your character.

The rest of the customization/uniqueness is from the skill gems that go in your gear (and the gear itself) and give you the abilities you actively use.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Coming back to this for the first time since beta and kind of overwhelmed by the sheer number of new skills. I'm not totally sure what I want to do for Prophecy but I've been kind of losing interest in the physical bow guy I've been playing in SC in the meantime, so I'm thinking I'll go with a caster.

I wondered if you could combo Desecrate + Detonate Dead and do decently (maybe transitioning to a different fire spell later on since it seems like Detonate Dead scales poorly)? Or should I just try something simple like a totem build until I get a better handle on the game's mechanics?

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
What I need is a (non-hardcore) safe, cheap, easy build for my lazy, non-skilled, uncreative rear end. Something along the lines of SRS, or Contagion/Essence Drain/Wither that I can just paint by the numbers, but still reach lvl 80+ without much effort.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Apple Craft posted:

What I need is a (non-hardcore) safe, cheap, easy build for my lazy, non-skilled, uncreative rear end. Something along the lines of SRS, or Contagion/Essence Drain/Wither that I can just paint by the numbers, but still reach lvl 80+ without much effort.

That would be 2h earthquake. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1596320

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think liftingnerds flame totem build from last league was honestly better. i did both and flame totem was easier to gear and easier to stay alive with even with a tabula (had a lightning coil on eq guy) since you can just drop your totems and run circles around bosses. totems also let you ignore reflect and poo poo. i had to be much more picky with map mods on the eq guy. he absolutely destroyed poo poo like lab and map packs but kind of struggled with boss dps, especially if i didnt have vaal ground slam charged up.

not saying eq is bad or anything obviously, just that eq build might not be the best one around.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Awesome! posted:

i think liftingnerds flame totem build from last league was honestly better.

no

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

A lot of things may be better, but when it comes to completely bulletproof autopilot you cant really beat marohi eq

E: And if you struggled with map mods/bosses Im guessing that was either t15, or your gear was very suboptimal.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

TheRat posted:

or your gear was very suboptimal.
sure it was my first league, but its labeled as newbie friendly and i did have the two recommended uniques, my resists maxed and health mods wherever i could get them.

i had an easier time autopiloting with his flame totem build is all im saying.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

It is newbie-friendly, but for red map scaling you're going to need proper jewlery, weapon links and quality gems to scale your damage high enough. When I recommend a build for autopiloting its mostly meant to get a person to mid to high mapping so they can learn the ropes. Marohi EQ is perfect for that.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it definitely did get me to mid tier maps but even at like tier 9 bosses took a long time. i had a 5l marohi and 5l coil for ground slam but maybe i was trying to get the wrong damage mods on my gear or something. actually how do i link my character i wouldnt mind if you took a look and told me what was up.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/-your-account-name

Make sure the profile is set to public in your account settings on the website

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i did it

i beat the loving labyrinth

necromancy, ho!

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Coming back to this for the first time since beta and kind of overwhelmed by the sheer number of new skills. I'm not totally sure what I want to do for Prophecy but I've been kind of losing interest in the physical bow guy I've been playing in SC in the meantime, so I'm thinking I'll go with a caster.

I wondered if you could combo Desecrate + Detonate Dead and do decently (maybe transitioning to a different fire spell later on since it seems like Detonate Dead scales poorly)? Or should I just try something simple like a totem build until I get a better handle on the game's mechanics?

The big issue with Desecrate is that it has a cooldown that limits it to one cast per 5 seconds. (It stores 3 uses, so you can do 3 right in a row initially but then you are stuck in slow mode.) Poking around the web just now it sounds like you can do Trap-Multitrap-Desecrate to effectively get more at once. This discussion was before Minefield came out, so I'm guessing you could do that too. (Remote Mine-Minefield-Desecrate) The cooldown is per skill gem apparently?? So I guess in theory you could get a poo poo ton of corpses out at once with two 3-links devoted to trap & mine and a random slot for self cast.

The new Necromancer Ascendancy node that adds two corpses per cast is obviously going to be important to making it viable. You could probably make it work, but it's probably going to be tricky.

The other annoyance is that neither Descerate nor Detonate Dead are affected by spell modifying nodes. The only thing that affects both of them is AoE modifiers. If you go all out on the passive tree you can get 60% increased AoE damage, but 50% increased AoE damage is the most realistic scenario. (Pre-Chaos Conversion nerf you could have scaled both with chaos damage nodes but that's less viable now.)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

TheRat posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/-your-account-name

Make sure the profile is set to public in your account settings on the website
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/SA_Awesome/characters

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
I'm going to make a Vortex Slayer. None of the other Ascendancies really work as well for it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

You're only 5linked, 4 of those links arent quality gems, 1/3 jewlery has (very low) wed, 2/3 jewlery has (mid-tier) flat phys, belt has very low wed, helmet doesnt have earthquake enchant, gloves have no damage mods (speed, flat damage), you're quite low level which means you have no jewels. All of these things seem minor on their own but when you add them all together its a huge source of damage (especially jewels). You're basically where you should be for t10-t12 or so, but if you wanted to push this char to comfortable t12-15 you would need to invest a lot more into damage gear.

Also, while your tree is perfectly allright its certainly not optimal for endgame.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Etup/characters <- Here's an example of a character that was 3rd in Talisman HC league when he died. He had a headhunter belt so you would never be able to match his speed, but the skilltree is excellent.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

TheRat posted:

Also, while your tree is perfectly allright its certainly not optimal for endgame.
i think i copied the tree in the guide exactly.

thats about what i was expecting on gear critiques. most of that was from one major gear up when i hit 68 and i didnt really touch it after. had 2ex and over 100c i could have spent on upgrades by the end i guess. not sure what i was planning on doing with that money.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Awesome! posted:

i think i copied the tree in the guide exactly.

My main objection is the lack of jewels, but the guide has those in for higher levels

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah i was going to finish out the life rectangle and then go for jewel slots

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Bouquet posted:

The big issue with Desecrate is that it has a cooldown that limits it to one cast per 5 seconds. (It stores 3 uses, so you can do 3 right in a row initially but then you are stuck in slow mode.) Poking around the web just now it sounds like you can do Trap-Multitrap-Desecrate to effectively get more at once. This discussion was before Minefield came out, so I'm guessing you could do that too. (Remote Mine-Minefield-Desecrate) The cooldown is per skill gem apparently?? So I guess in theory you could get a poo poo ton of corpses out at once with two 3-links devoted to trap & mine and a random slot for self cast.

The new Necromancer Ascendancy node that adds two corpses per cast is obviously going to be important to making it viable. You could probably make it work, but it's probably going to be tricky.

The other annoyance is that neither Descerate nor Detonate Dead are affected by spell modifying nodes. The only thing that affects both of them is AoE modifiers. If you go all out on the passive tree you can get 60% increased AoE damage, but 50% increased AoE damage is the most realistic scenario. (Pre-Chaos Conversion nerf you could have scaled both with chaos damage nodes but that's less viable now.)

You go traps/mines on it. Your damage is based on corpse life so the higher the maps the higher the damage you do. Just don't level as it, its awful.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

The way I was planning to use it was to mostly just ignore the chaos DoT from Desecrate and just use it as setup for Detonate, but yeah, it looks like it'd be tricky to pull off and feel terrible for leveling. If nothing else I can just grab another good fire spell or Fire Trap to level with, and try it out lategame once I have a few good fire damage/AoE damage nodes picked up.

Might just try it as a second character and do an easier farming build to start with.

e: I'm also wondering now that I've taken a closer look at Necromancer: do Blasphemy curses count as auras for her Commander of Darkness passive?

Hashtag Yoloswag fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 3, 2016

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I'm a bit sad that spark is getting nerfed. My volt sparker was the strongest build I have ever played. What's the strongest reflect-proof hc-viable build now? Poison bladefall trapper?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
With the changes to scepter implicates DD gets an actual gear boost for once. Assuming they stay as elemental damage.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm a bit sad that spark is getting nerfed. My volt sparker was the strongest build I have ever played. What's the strongest reflect-proof hc-viable build now? Poison bladefall trapper?

Probably shockwave totem. I've not tried bladefall trapper myself but the uber-farmers keep saying its garbage for map clearspeed.

E: I can see elementalist DD being really strong, and DD cannot reflect.
E2: Random 4 minute DD tree http://poeurl.com/Fgd

TheRat fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 3, 2016

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Bugsy posted:

With the changes to scepter implicates DD gets an actual gear boost for once. Assuming they stay as elemental damage.

Yeah, I was looking through weapons to figure out a good weapon set for it; I'm guessing a good +fire gems/+% elemental damage scepter would be the best thing I could use until I pick up something like Doryani's Catalyst or The Supreme Truth?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Theres quite a few options for DD. Double doriyani is the obvious one, but pledge of hands and searing touch are also great

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

TheRat posted:

Theres quite a few options for DD. Double doriyani is the obvious one, but pledge of hands and searing touch are also great

Can DD echo? Since it doesn't have the Spell tag I figured it wouldn't work with any gem that did.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I'm probably going to play a Blade Vortex + Bone Offering Necromancer again, it felt good last league. Reflect actually makes that build gain life, from the life gain on spell-block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Can DD echo? Since it doesn't have the Spell tag I figured it wouldn't work with any gem that did.

Just tested it ingame and yes, DD+echo works perfectly.

• Locked thread