Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I am a big fan of the concept of city-states and I am really liking the look of what they're doing here. The unique bonuses sound awesome. And I like that you can put money in the meter and steer their army around for a bit.

I do hope that they'll be able to feature more prominently in a "proxy-war" type situation though, especially in late-game cold war times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BattleHamster posted:

I was having this issue until I disabled Adblock.

Thats probably it. Thanks for linking that info other poster!

I wonder if you can actually take OVER a city state and make them a vassal or some such.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That last picture mentions "Amenities". Do we know what those are?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jay Rust posted:

It sounds like they're Luxuries. Zanzibar's special bonus says it gives you two Luxury Resources, which provide 6 Amenities each. I'm guessing Luxury Resources and probably other sources provide Amenities which translate into the happiness modifier thing.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah I wondered that. The little icon looks like a circus tent, so I wonder if those balloon-laden camps provide the same stuff.

Also, Well-of-souls says the government type "Classical Republic" gives a bonus to Amenities, which makes me think Colosseum, so maybe it's just another word for Happiness?

Edit: if the Luxuries provide Amenities then yeah this sounds like a find-and-replace for Happiness.

Edit 2:

From the city info. There's a green "2" there, but other numbers are white, so I reckon that number can go negative. We know happiness is per-city and not global, so it must be happiness.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 2, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Other Well of Souls info:

* The Civics tree is a sort of secondary tech tree, meant to feature and replace traditional Civ tech advances like Chivalry that really aren't technological advancements.

* Qin Shi Huang will hate you if you've built more Wonders than him.

* Cleopatra likes and respects civs with a strong military, but will despise people with weak militaries.

* Aztecs are in under Monty, as is India with Gandhi.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
OK, so science is one bucket you fill up for bonuses, culture is another.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Gort posted:

OK, so science is one bucket you fill up for bonuses, culture is another.

Like Civ 5. :nallears:

It sounds like they kinda grafted the Civ 4 social policy pick-and-mix onto it though, the way you can unlock these cards and then put them into slots. I'm really eager to see that in action.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Yep. It wasn't a criticism. Civ games tend to revolve around filling buckets for rewards.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Cythereal posted:

That works nicely with my "build every Wonder" strategy. :getin:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Gort posted:

Yep. It wasn't a criticism. Civ games tend to revolve around filling buckets for rewards.

Yeah I wasn't having a go. I admit I don't really understand that emoticon but i like using it

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cythereal posted:

* Aztecs are in under Monty, as is India with Gandhi.

boo

If they're balancing them more it sounds like it could be better than civ v. Like, if culture is as valuable a road to invest in as tech that would be great stuff

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

If they're balancing them more it sounds like it could be better than civ v. Like, if culture is as valuable a road to invest in as tech that would be great stuff

Hard to see how it possibly could be though, those who invest in tech will invade and crush those who invest in culture with superior teched armies.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I had gotten the impression, maybe from that Quill118 video or something else I read, that the culture tech tree will pretty much just unlock "cards" that you can slot into your government for different bonuses. Though I suppose it would unlock the governments themselves too.

It actually seems like a neat system for customizing your civilization.

But I don't think you'll be unlocking knights in the culture tree, even if the "chivalry" tech is in there.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hard to see how it possibly could be though, those who invest in tech will invade and crush those who invest in culture with superior teched armies.

Some unit types maybe locked behind cultural techs. Some cultural techs may unlock military bonuses that really make a difference.

E: ^^^ Ah yeah, makes sense

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Eiba posted:

I had gotten the impression, maybe from that Quill118 video or something else I read, that the culture tech tree will pretty much just unlock "cards" that you can slot into your government for different bonuses. Though I suppose it would unlock the governments themselves too.

It actually seems like a neat system for customizing your civilization.

But I don't think you'll be unlocking knights in the culture tree, even if the "chivalry" tech is in there.
There's also actual building/district unlocks there too, it's not all governments and policies. Not actual units though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eh, they're series staples. To date, only five leaders dating back to the original Civilization I have never missed a game (not counting offshoots like Revolutions): Gandhi, Alexander, Shaka, Genghis Khan, and Elizabeth.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 2, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Eric the Mauve posted:

They might both be viable if the culture tree gives you bonuses other than raw tech. Regular spearmen might not match the strength of technologically superior pikemen but something like a nationalism or fealty bonus unlocked by culture tree could even the odds.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thinking about it "realistically" (always a fraught prospect), a primitive culture is not going to be able to self-organize well enough to tech up to the pikeman level, or be able to afford to field a large army. You need the tools that allow you to organize your society before you can embark on serious public works -- tools like taxes, language, laws, regulated commerce, an understanding of the rights and responsibilities of government, formalized systems of study, etc. Maybe your primitive culture might be able to create enough lone geniuses to come up with some great ideas, but without the rest of society able to act to leverage those ideas, they're worthless.

In other words, having a culturally-advanced society is a hell of a lot more than just having a bunch of artists producing pretty paintings and sculptures. Culture is society -- it's the frameworks that govern how people think. You're not going to achieve any significant level of technological advancement if your people don't know how to think and organize themselves.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
From a gameplay perspective, it's probably something like needing both Organized Religion and Architecture to build a cathedral or whatever.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I hope they make Pericles the Greek leader like in Civ IV

I also wish they would bring back Asoka, but the nuclear Gandhi meme won't die any time soon

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Phobophilia posted:

jfc i cant believe i need to explain elementary poo poo

the problem with square tiles, where diagonal movements cost as much as cardinal movements, is that it becomes optimal to always move on diagonals every single turn, because such moves are ~40% further than cardinal moves

Meh. This is true, but terrain such as mountains and jungles and forests and things can affect what is optimal. In addition, an enemies unit placement can also make cardinal moves more optimal as well. This is not a huge gain.

Phobophilia posted:

it also gets rid of the jankiness of the "big fat cross", where cities can't access tiles 2-diagonal from the centres

i regularly poo poo on civ5 but its hexes are one of its major advantages over civ4. the only downside is that 2-rings of hexes has only 18 tiles, while the full BFC has 20 tiles, meaning that hex cities wont be as big as BFC cities. civ5's solution was to expand city sizes to 3-rings, which was a mistake because it set the game down the path of tiny numbers of cities

A civ game without a BFC is just the equivalent of fanfiction to me.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

Cythereal posted:

Qin Shi Huang and I share this trait.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Qin Shi Huang is going to be my best buddy in the world, 'cause he'll build all the wonders and then I'll take them from him.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Eiba posted:

And there are a few neat pictures:

The GUI and color scheme is giving me some serious flashbacks of Stardock's game Elemental for some reason.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

AG3 posted:

The GUI and color scheme is giving me some serious flashbacks of Stardock's game Elemental for some reason.

It's the way the fog works and the font of the text.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Clarste posted:

From a gameplay perspective, it's probably something like needing both Organized Religion and Architecture to build a cathedral or whatever.

Oh god I hope this is not the case. Worst case you can unlock it with either, but having both gives you a production bonus, but I would hate nothing more than finally getting the technology that gives me the signing new thing I had in my sights, and finding out that no, it's still far away.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Rexides posted:

Oh god I hope this is not the case. Worst case you can unlock it with either, but having both gives you a production bonus, but I would hate nothing more than finally getting the technology that gives me the signing new thing I had in my sights, and finding out that no, it's still far away.

Realistically this would just be a variant on the techs that have multiple prerequisite techs; it's just that in this variant, some of the prerequisites are unlocked with culture instead of science. The problem here is one of perspective: you're used to thinking "emphasize science -> get cool shinies" because that's how it worked in all previous Civ games. Now it is/appears to be "emphasize science and culture -> get cool shinies". The actual methodologies in play haven't changed all that much, you just have two buckets to fill instead of one.

EDIT: aren't there buildings/tile improvements in Civ5 that require you to unlock multiple techs to build them? Like, a tech will be listed as letting you build, say, railroads, but only in conjunction with another tech. This is the same basic idea.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 3, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
no such exist in civ5. you can have cavalry without rifles, for instance

you had more multi-tech dependencies in civ4, like horseback riding + archery for horse archers, or archery + feudalism/machinery for longbows/crossbows, or hbr + military tradition + gunpowder/rifling for cuirassiers/cavalry, or rifling + assembly line for infantry

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Reminder than you could create the Internet without computers.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

RagnarokAngel posted:

The steam punk web. It's a series of tubes

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

you had more multi-tech dependencies in civ4, like horseback riding + archery for horse archers, or archery + feudalism/machinery for longbows/crossbows, or hbr + military tradition + gunpowder/rifling for cuirassiers/cavalry, or rifling + assembly line for infantry

I hated that.

gently caress realism.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Remember Military City-States? Also rush-buying units, having enough defence that it's too much trouble...

It's rarely quite as simple as that.

Then there's things like 'filling your cities with Barracks gives you a Culture building'.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 3, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Rexides posted:

I hated that.

gently caress realism.

So... you gave spearmen a hidden +1000% Combat against Armor units, right? ;)

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

berryjon posted:

So... you gave spearmen a hidden +1000% Combat against Armor units, right? ;)

It's not proper civ otherwise

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I bet you could throw a spear down a tank's cannon and cause the whole thing to explode

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RagnarokAngel posted:

In my most recent game, I had rocketry and satellites without combustion.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'd love it if the game would actually address that, like letting you make stuff that never existed in the real world if you have an odd combination of techs. My friend joked that when you build a Gatling Gun without Gunpowder, your factory makes a box of bullets that are bouncing around really fast and shooting is a matter of opening the box.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

RagnarokAngel posted:

Hell, you still can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Krazyface posted:

Hell, you still can.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers