Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Magna Kaser posted:

Chengdu for some reason has one gazillion dutch people. The people most surprised about there being so many Dutch people are the Dutch themselves.

what kind of work is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

a7m2 posted:

what kind of work is it?

Software/IT

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

fart simpson posted:

You must be fat.

I think you mean strong. I'm strong okay?!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

American tourists get a bad rap, but let's be honest, Australians travelers are cunts and Russians are grumpy, quiet cunts.

Hui Tai Lang
Dec 31, 2009

I have met several Finns in Beijing, they always seem cool and very sociable. My fellow Americans are hit or miss (mostly miss). The Dutch girls at the hockey game last weekend left a very good impression.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

American tourists get a bad rap, but let's be honest, Australians travelers are cunts and Russians are grumpy, quiet cunts.

I don't know about travelers but for expats that's also accurate.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
One time in Bali, I was sitting at a cafe across from a convenience store, and there were three massively obese Australian women with sunburns and tube tops dancing in the convenience store and yelling OONCH OONCH OONCH like it was techno music and waving their ham arms and then a small Balinese man walked over and opened the door and said DO YOU WANT TO BUY SOME DRUGS? and they all screamed YEAH in unison and left with the man. At 2 PM.

I LOVE Australian tourists.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

That man's name? Albert Einstein

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

a7m2 posted:

That man's name? Albert Einstein

I don't care if you believe it or not.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I care :ohdear:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

bringmyfishback posted:

I don't care if you believe it or not.

actually i did believe you. i don't know why i posted that. sorry.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

You should be

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

i am

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Think it's this thread and not the SEA one.

5 days in Taiwan, with parents in law and grandpa (Club 25-90), going in July (or early August)

So nothing too strenuous, although he is far from housebound and enjoys a decent walk

Looking to be based in Taipei for ease of flying in and out, but I could be convinced to move around the island

Don't want a package tour that'll be 100% in Chinese and try to sell things at us

Ideally avoid hordes of other tourists too, but we aren't looking for 'Real' Taiwan or whatever. It's more of an avoiding excessive queueing with an old man issue.

Admittedly I haven't really looked into this yet, thought I'd ask first and look for myself while responses trickle in, save time.

So, any thoughts?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Post in the Taiwan thread and get Pandemonium's opinion: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470468

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
How does everyone here book train tickets in China online and in advance?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Ctrip? I think even 12306 works these days.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Imma ctrip you

:am:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Cheesemaster200 posted:

How does everyone here book train tickets in China online and in advance?

Ctrip works alright, but If you don't have a 身份证 you can't use the automatic kiosk to pick up your tickets and you need to go to a window with an actual person. You do need to use your passport as ID, but it's pretty simple.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Magna Kaser posted:

Ctrip works alright, but If you don't have a 身份证 you can't use the automatic kiosk to pick up your tickets and you need to go to a window with an actual person. You do need to use your passport as ID, but it's pretty simple.

just go early so you don't miss your train because a family of 10 decides to argue (all shouting at the same time) with the only person working the window kiosk

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

Doesn't that depend on the station? The ticket machines in Guangzhou were able to recognize my passport and listed my ticket reservation (which I'd already picked up at a booth).

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Jeoh posted:

Doesn't that depend on the station? The ticket machines in Guangzhou were able to recognize my passport and listed my ticket reservation (which I'd already picked up at a booth).

That's cool then. In Sichuan you can't, and when I was in Shanghai late last year I also couldn't. Would be great if this changed though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

THey're putting up those shared bicycle things everywhere in Shenzhen except you need a 身份证 to use them for some reason?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

fart simpson posted:

THey're putting up those shared bicycle things everywhere in Shenzhen except you need a 身份证 to use them for some reason?

Seems kind of dumb for a place that I presume gets so many non-resident foreigners coming and going.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I tried to help a Korean coworker use it because she doesn't read Chinese and we were both surprised they won't accept our dirty foreigner 深圳通s without stealing a Chinese person's ID first

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I can't even redeem my tickets from the arcade without a Chinese ID. :negative:

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

fart simpson posted:

In Xi'an they have these bikes too. It requires you to go to one of the banks that issue bus cards and give them your info along with a deposit (¥200 I believe). After all that you can now checkout bikes with your bus card. Foreigners too.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

SB35 posted:

In Xi'an they have these bikes too. It requires you to go to one of the banks that issue bus cards and give them your info along with a deposit (¥200 I believe). After all that you can now checkout bikes with your bus card. Foreigners too.

Ours are the same you use your bus card too, but they require a Chinese ID plus a ¥100 deposit

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Is Xi'an a worthwhile city to spend 2-1/2 days in? I want to see the terrracotta warriors, but I don't know what else there is to do.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Is Xi'an a worthwhile city to spend 2-1/2 days in? I want to see the terrracotta warriors, but I don't know what else there is to do.

Xi'an is a garbage city with a passable food/noodle soup street. It's a big old fart of a city.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Ceciltron posted:

Xi'an is a garbage city with a passable food/noodle soup street. It's a big old fart of a city.

I always like looking up places that folks ask about in this thread, so I thought "hey let's look at this Xi'an thing"...

https://goo.gl/maps/SBD9QNDBfnF2

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Switzerland posted:

I always like looking up places that folks ask about in this thread, so I thought "hey let's look at this Xi'an thing"...

https://goo.gl/maps/SBD9QNDBfnF2

That looks like... every Chinese city?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Let's meet at Wanda Guangchang.

No, the other one.

No, the other one.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Xi'an's an awesome city to visit. You can do the terracotta warriors in a morning, and then cycle the city walls in the afternoon, leaving you the evening to go to the Bell Tower and Muslim Street for food. Xi'an has the best noodles in China and some of the best Muslim food.

It's also very close to Hua Shan, a 40 minute fast train trip away. That takes a day, but you can extend that by either climbing at night, sleeping at a hostel on top of the mountain and viewing the sunrise, or climbing during the day, and spending the afternoon/evening at a nearby hot springs resort.

Also, there's the Wild Goose Pagoda to visit, great street BBQ, hotpot, dishes, dumplings and food in general. Lots of food. Also, it's Real China™

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
When I see a Chinese Walmart, I think of an ouroboros.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shop local, shop Walmart.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

the first time i ever went into a walmart was in china. theyre not v good but the booze is pretty cheap and theres a good selection of it. everything else isnt worth it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Walmart here used to have a 3 pack of decent western style sausages for only 9 rmb. That was pretty cool.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I have yet to see a Wal-Mart here. O_O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Walmart's pretty nice, they have a fair amount of stuff cheaper than I've found it anywhere else, a different selection of imports than most of the other shops, and American bacon.