Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

In Training posted:

It was cool when the Smash community banned the new characters at Evo even though they had been out for like 8 weeks or something

hosed up that it was the only tournament game where Ryu was banned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

https://twitter.com/fubarduck/status/738596808042024961

Every time I think Capcom is done being really dumb they manage to get even funnier

Lol that's cool

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Dias posted:

It is, and the way it was handled was terrible. Bad enough that I'll not really buy another NRS game on PC unless things REALLY change next iteration. Like, an actual well-regarded PC port company and WB not publishing it, or overwhelmingly positive feedback on the port.

The Doomguy in the new DooM game has a better relationship with demons than WB does with the PC market.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah there's no way I'm buying an NRS game again, at least capcom's wet fart of an effort beats dropping support for a platform with zero warning. Also before SFV launch I was looking forward to the daily challenge thingys, and I don't think we've heard a single word about those except in the advertising. The people making this game clearly don't know what they are doing so I'm just done, this is just sad.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

Crown Face posted:

According to Capcom's Japanese blog, the whole Ibuki debacle is Capcom USA's fault because that DLC roadmap wasn't meant to be official. The roadmap was only made "official" and released based on Capcom USA's own decision - they don't have a public roadmap in Japan.

If that's actually true and not just Japan throwing their US offices under the bus, then that's pretty incredible.

In case anyone is interested, here's a quick and dirty translation of the pertinent section (literally zero effort on my part because it's like 1:30 am and I'm tired):

quote:

Ayano says:

Following our reveal on May 31st that Ibuki would be the next DLC character, we received many comments saying that we were falling behind the schedule we had originally laid out. This seems to be based on information from Capcom-Unity, the community site managed by Capcom USA. (The road map for DLC characters in 2016 was announced in this post.)

On the other hand, no such road map has been announced in Japan.

The reason that the information provided in announcements put out by Japan, America, and other regions differs is because each team is responsible for deciding what information they disclose in order to quickly respond to the needs of the players in their region.

When Capcom USA announced their own road map, we here at the Street Fighter V team in Japan also considered making our own road map public. However, after looking at how things were progressing on the development side, we decided against making any promises to Japanese players that we were not 100% sure we could keep.

As a result, the differing information coming out of each region has invited both misunderstanding and confusion from the players. We are now painfully aware of what a poor decision this was and cannot apologize enough.

Moving forward, we plan to have all information regarding future content, including the release dates of DLC characters, be uniform across regions and reported promptly.

imho, this is a big mess and i'm loving every second of it

i do like that they're bringing up the input lag on both blogs though i hope something comes of that

The Timely Howard fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 3, 2016

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
SFV is such a depressing trainwreck :negative:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Goddamn baka gaijin at it again

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

They have screwed up Every Single Thing about this game besides the core gameplay, goodbye SF

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Bisse posted:

They have screwed up Every Single Thing about this game besides the core gameplay

nah they actually screwed that up too

even if you ignore the implication that input lag somehow isnt part of the "core gameplay"

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Well, I don't think there's going to be a Street Fighter 6 now.

How long you think it's going to be till Capcom goes the way of Konami and just quits games and just makes Pachinko machines?

I think Monster Hunter might be their only IP that they haven't torched but I know gently caress all about Monster Hunter so maybe the new one sucks, I dunno.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There’ll be a Street Fighter 6 but it’ll be in 20 years instead of the 10 before.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh I left my full-width alphanumeric on, sorry.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i could definitely see sf6 in 5 years or so, unless theyve gone full monhun

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Will Capcom still exist as a company in another 20 years from now?

Maybe it'll be like a reanimated corpse bought by the Koreans\Chinese like SNK

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Street Fighter is owned by Capcom USA as of 2004, so it's unlikely to go the Konami route. Instead, it'll probably get liscenced out to sub par 3rd party contractors and we'll end up with middling to bad adaptations.

.....oh :smith:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just fyi, Capcom's not dying in 20 years... or ever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Capcom is fine

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Street Fighter is owned by Capcom USA as of 2004, so it's unlikely to go the Konami route. Instead, it'll probably get liscenced out to sub par 3rd party contractors and we'll end up with middling to bad adaptations.

.....oh :smith:

Is this a post from 2008 because if not, you're a little late

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
What are the chances they relicense Marvel or find a new series to VS? Sounded like there was a little hope behind the wording of what Disney/Marvel is going to do now that they said gently caress videogames.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Capcom has a ridiculous set of IPs + I still enjoy most of them (what on earth are you thinking with umbrella corps though)

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, I don't think there's going to be a Street Fighter 6 now.

How long you think it's going to be till Capcom goes the way of Konami and just quits games and just makes Pachinko machines?

I think Monster Hunter might be their only IP that they haven't torched but I know gently caress all about Monster Hunter so maybe the new one sucks, I dunno.

Monster Hunter is still the best at what it does which is pretty impressive considering all the hunting games that have popped up in the past few years (especially on Vita since MH is on 3DS now)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A new Vs game doesn't seem impossible but after Disney's loving nonsense before I don't see them being too open to trying to mend that bridge

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
yeah no way theyll get to do their BLATANTLY non-canon takes on characters again aka the fun ones ie magneto etc

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

Is this a post from 2008 because if not, you're a little late

I was making a joke response to a post 5 above mine. Should I have quoted that for you?

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

the fact that Capcom would rather make their entire US branch look incompetent than take a little heat from the community is indicative of how poorly that company is being run right now

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
We have reached peak corporate dysfunctionality here. No communication, no fucks given, and blame diverted.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

stiknork posted:

the fact that Capcom would rather make their entire US branch look incompetent than take a little heat from the community is indicative of how poorly that company is being run right now

Yeah it seems like the people at the USA and Japanese branches really don't like each other

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They're probably still bitter about the US branch making SFII too fast

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

S.J. posted:

Yeah it seems like the people at the USA and Japanese branches really don't like each other

explains why despite combofiend being pretty smart about sf design has accomplished exactly as little as skill

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
it was all a publicity stunt ofc

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

capcom bad

S.J.
May 19, 2008

General Morden posted:

it was all a publicity stunt ofc

One of those stunts where the rope breaks due to lack of oversight and someone dies on stage

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

anime was right posted:

explains why despite combofiend being pretty smart about sf design has accomplished exactly as little as skill

I highly doubt he has any say whatsover in game development as a community manager anyway.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

S.J. posted:

One of those stunts where the rope breaks due to lack of oversight and someone dies on stage

Capcom vs. Spiderman: Turn off the dark

fake edit: would.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Capcom vs. Spiderman: Turn off the dark

fake edit: would.

Basically,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uZX60akANU

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
For someone who has just recently gotten into watching this poo poo: how is the global popularity with fighting games at the moment, and where is the momentum compared to where it has been in the previous years? What effect do you think the popularity of Smash has on fighting games?

The way I worded that makes it sound like I'm doing research for an article, but it is for my own edification.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bushmaori posted:

For someone who has just recently gotten into watching this poo poo: how is the global popularity with fighting games at the moment, and where is the momentum compared to where it has been in the previous years? What effect do you think the popularity of Smash has on fighting games?

The way I worded that makes it sound like I'm doing research for an article, but it is for my own edification.

Fighting games have been resurging since 2009 when sfiv came with mkix out shortly thereafter. Western series like skullgirls, KI and nether realms games have been going strong for a few years along with japanese stuff like arcsys games but now the japanese devs are all releasing together this year with KOFxiv, Tekken 7, Pokken, Sfv Guilty Gear XRD revelator, and a jillion anime/manga girl games all coming out.

This is like the biggest year for major fighting games in ages and ages.

smash is a separate scene and catches flak from players of the above games

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Am I the only one who sees a big red dick as the still frame before you click the video?

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
8 Frames of lag
I can't react
8 Frames of lag
Crush counter timeeeeee!!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Am I the only one who sees a big red dick as the still frame before you click the video?

its on fire and a bit charred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
in 20 years Capcom JP will not exist anymore because their population will be so sparse.