Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Conjecture, but in that BvS trailer it looks like during the opening in Africa a plane is sent in and Superman clashes with it, the fallout killing the villagers. It makes more sense that the woman testifying to the senate is so emotional now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think it was a drone.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Man, I'd love an Antoine Fuqua superhero movie. Would have been perfect for a Wolverine movie.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Man, hell yes!

DrVenkman posted:

Conjecture, but in that BvS trailer it looks like during the opening in Africa a plane is sent in and Superman clashes with it, the fallout killing the villagers. It makes more sense that the woman testifying to the senate is so emotional now.

Nah, she says the government swept in and killed her family after the militia was gone. Her point is more that Superman came and made the situation worse for everyone but made sure his white gf was safe.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

She actually didn't use any race terms but yeah.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guy A. Person posted:

Man, hell yes!

Nah, she says the government swept in and killed her family after the militia was gone. Her point is more that Superman came and made the situation worse for everyone but made sure his white gf was safe.

Superman doesn't care about black people.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

RBA Starblade posted:

Superman doesn't care about black people.

Requesting that gif of Kanye, Mike Meyers, and Chris Tucker with monocles tia

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!

Guy A. Person posted:

It's also a question you'd want to ask God, if you had the chance.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

It's also a question you'd want to ask God, if you had the chance.

drat that's a good point

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yesterday I watched Dredd for the first time and was surprised how relatively grounded in reality it was. I was expecting more of a Blade Runner-setting, but it has just enough sci-fi and dystopian elements inserted into a fairly close to reality setting to be quite unsettling. Really enjoyed it, it's got a strong 80s vibe and it's pretty much exactly what I was expecting The Raid to be.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Am I the only one that thinks the bad guy in Suicide Squad might be some form of Starro the Conqueror?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Am I the only one that thinks the bad guy in Suicide Squad might be some form of Starro the Conqueror?

Probably

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Die Laughing posted:

I read a report saying that the pack of monsters they fight are known as "Eyes of The Adversary", so there is a hive mind or demonic aspect to them.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
It's The Tattooed Man played by Common

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oFpj4ypsLE

Cop Casey Jones

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Now that Mystique is officially a hero, Bryan Singer says that he wants the next X-Men movie to be a Mystique solo film. With or without Jennifer Lawrence.

http://www.avclub.com/article/bryan-singer-thinks-mystique-should-have-her-own-f-237699

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yesterday I watched Dredd for the first time and was surprised how relatively grounded in reality it was. I was expecting more of a Blade Runner-setting, but it has just enough sci-fi and dystopian elements inserted into a fairly close to reality setting to be quite unsettling. Really enjoyed it, it's got a strong 80s vibe and it's pretty much exactly what I was expecting The Raid to be.

Dredd was pretty low budget and bombed in theaters. :/ The world of Mega City One in the comicbook is pretty much like Los Angeles in Blade Runner, or any other cyberpunk sci-fi city. That said though, Dredd is also the best comic book movie. Pete Travis (the director) and Karl Urban both want to do a sequel but it sounds like that will never happen.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Netflix series possible. I think I read they were in talks.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/155552/20160503/karl-urban-confirms-dredd-tv-series-coming-netflix-amazon.htm

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The MSJ posted:

I read a report saying that the pack of monsters they fight are known as "Eyes of The Adversary", so there is a hive mind or demonic aspect to them.

Yeah, according to one article they're summoned by Enchantress who's the main villain.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
http://www.trendread.com/2016/06/iron-man-3-shane-black-defends-mandarin.html

quote:

“We may have done our job a bit too well in a way because we succeeded in actually having a surprise in the middle of a big summer movie where you normally know virtually everything about it before you go in” he explained. “And when I say we did our job too well it meant some of the fans felt fooled. They felt I think that they'd been led down one path and then sold a bill of goods. It's hard. Because I want to please the fans... but in this case I thought and we all thought that it was just a very interesting and very layered decision to take the Mandarin

Black continues: “We had this think tank – A.I.M. – from the comics and ‘OK, what if this was a cobbled together sort of boogeyman?' That they'd researched - they actually had data spit out about the various things that people would find frightening and they would concoct from this. This sort of straw man terrorist. This paper tiger. And then push him on the internet.

"I thought that felt modern, it felt interesting, it felt textured. I thought to myself, ‘Hey Whiplash in Iron Man 2 – he doesn't look like Whiplash in the comics, people like it when you trade up and kind of shake it up a little.’ And the truth is people did – I mean we made a lot of money with the movie, but there is a hardcore niche of fandom that was genuinely disappointed; they wanted to see their version. And for that I feel bad. I still like the choice we made.”

We then asked Black whether he'd adapt the character more faithfully if he could make the movie again…

“Of course not,” came the response. “The minute you start to govern your creative impulses based on anticipation of someone else's response or their expectations then you're going to fail. You're going to fail them too. Because you're not going to surprise anybody – you’re going to be busy second-guessing what other people want and indulging that people-pleasing side of yourself.”

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
gently caress those fanboy dummies, they're idiots.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shane Black still having to explain why he didn't directly adapt a yellow peril villain, three years later, is depressing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Timby posted:

Shane Black still having to explain why he didn't directly adapt a yellow peril villain, three years later, is depressing.

But... the canon???

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!

Timby posted:

To be fair, it's probably less that you can't do a non-racist version of the concept (basically just make him a villain who... is Chinese) and more that Chinese audiences would wonder why the guy would call himself that. It's like calling yourself The Grecian when you live in Greece.

I guess they also might not like a Chinese villian, but it's not like you can't work around that by having his agenda be hostile to China as well.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If it were like a Jackie Chan movie, the villain would be the Mandarin and turn out to be a rich white guy, and Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker would track him down to a final confrontation at the docks.

Basically what we got.

I think it's less worrying about a yellow peril and more worrying about China has strict rules movies showing in their country can't strictly have a villain that's even Chinese, only good guys, with a few various loopholes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I sincerely doubt it was "this character can't be ethnically Chinese" and was more "this character in the comics is one step away from Fu Manchu. If we're going to change it that much, let's do something interesting".

Like even in the film the guy's named "The Mandarin". Pretty sure if China was that sensitive they wouldn't have let that name be used.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

I guess they also might not like a Chinese villian, but it's not like you can't work around that by having his agenda be hostile to China as well.

Iron Man and chinese military crush the Tibetan separatists

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Edit wrong thread!!

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 4, 2016

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The best (worst) is reading the Facebook comments under the trending stories thing for that. Literally everyone going "lovely DIRECTOR APOLOGIZING THREE YEARS LATER FOR HIS lovely PIECE OF poo poo MOVIE I HOPE HE loving DIES."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's so weird that people are so sensitive about the change considering literally no one gave a poo poo about Iron man before the first movie, let alone his rogues gallery.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's so weird that people are so sensitive about the change considering literally no one gave a poo poo about Iron man before the first movie, let alone his rogues gallery.

ESPECIALLY his rogues gallery.

The best iteration of Iron Man's rogues gallery is from Iron Man Armored Adventures about Teenage Tony Stark

What I'm trying to say is Iron Man has lovely villains

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

To be fair, it's probably less that you can't do a non-racist version of the concept (basically just make him a villain who... is Chinese) and more that Chinese audiences would wonder why the guy would call himself that. It's like calling yourself The Grecian when you live in Greece.

Mandarin isn't even a race or an ethnicity, it's just a dialect. So I guess it'd be like calling a black character The AAVE? The Ebonics? I think the version we got is probably the least racist version possible of a character called The Mandarin.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The Mandarin is a Western term for bureaucrats of Imperial China.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yep: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarin_%28bureaucrat%29
It generally came to mean "high ranking Chinese official who is also a learned scholar" among people who weren't really all that familiar with Chinese culture so back in the 60s when Marvel were looking for a name for a Fu Manchu ripoff dude who was also a mad scientist they just went with that.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That's always the dumbest way to name characters.

Like DC Comics had some Justice League annual where they introduced a Turkish superheroine.

Her superhero name was The Janissary.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 4, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That's always the dumbest way to name characters.

Like DC Comics had some Justice League annual where they introduced a Turkish superheroine.

Her superhero name was The Janissary.

That doesn't even make sense! Janissary were non-ottomans recruited from areas paying the jizya!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't care what color he is but i wanted to see a dude with ten magical rings fight iron man.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the ten rings were in the first movie

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So no one has seen TMNT2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012