Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Shouldn't this be on the mountain map, just for fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

As Kastein says, I assume there's a centrifugal clutch on the crank snout, also lol front bank ram-air, and I assume there's enough gas in the tank to assure one death.

I mean I'm impressed and I love it, but you wouldn't get me within three feet of it.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Ferremit posted:

Imagine belting down the main straight at 300+ kph and seeing THAT. Track just drops off.

Excellent - every track needs a proper "oh poo poo, don't mess this up or you'll die" sorta corner.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

mekilljoydammit posted:

Excellent - every track needs a proper "oh poo poo, don't mess this up or you'll die" sorta corner.
I've always been partial to "Turn 8" at Istanbul Park:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d42SBxIYUM

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/1511-doyle-thomas-1951-ford-club-coupe-is-his-latest-car-and-first/

http://imgur.com/a/NvRBR

:getin:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 2, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That thing is beyond dope. Holy poo poo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

quote:

Once again, they packed the engine compartment with a Shelby GT500 5.4L modular engine—an unexpected surprise unless you know Doyle's taste.

Lol what?? Yes replacing the Chevy engine in the Ford coupe with a brand new Ford engine is quite whacky! What a surprise! No, no we won't mention the supercharger we'll just never speak of this again.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So uh, they had a bit of weather at the Nurburgring 24-hr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWfk3QEbeKQ

(skip through every minute or so, it gets good 5 min in)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everyone knows the ring is better in the snow, nature was just trying to make sure people had fun.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

xzzy posted:

Everyone knows the ring is better in the snow, nature was just trying to make sure people had fun.
I'm not sure I'd consider crabbing at like 2mph with armcos within touching distance to be particularly fun. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Falken posted:

I'm not sure I'd consider crabbing at like 2mph with armcos within touching distance to be particularly fun. :v:

Doing it wrong then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOvVPTY72DQ&t=102s

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

That's a photoshop, right?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Wait, that's real?

That's INDY? :psyboom:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've only been to Indy for MotoGP which brought in like 60,000 and that felt like a lot of people even though vast chunks of the bleachers were vacant. Every single seat in the house is full in that photo. :stare:

Probably took two days to get all those bodies in and out.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's two Le Mans

largest single day sports event in the world for like 100 years running now

e- 100,000 more people than Woodstock lol

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was at Daytona when they broke the attendance record for a prime time event, I forget the number but it was crazy, took forever to get out of that place I should have just slept in my car.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

All that alcohol. All that urine.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Helluva lot of weed too :v:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Fayez Butts posted:

That's a photoshop, right?

Enourmo posted:

Wait, that's real?

Yes it's real. IMS is loving massive. It has the largest seating capacity of any venue on earth. It holds 350,000 people officially. You don't appreciate it until you are there and realize the straights are over a half mile long. Here is a picture that helps with the sense of scale.

And yes that picture is legit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's also the only good thing about that city.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I mean the massive crowd makes sense for the 500, strangely the thing that weirded me out was the golf course plopped right there in the infield. Never thought of it, but I guess what else are you gonna do with all that terrain if there's not track on it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Just looked at Indy on Google Maps... ummm.. where the gently caress do they park the cars for that many people? There is not much parking outside of that track, it's mostly houses and stuff.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Enourmo posted:

I mean the massive crowd makes sense for the 500, strangely the thing that weirded me out was the golf course plopped right there in the infield. Never thought of it, but I guess what else are you gonna do with all that terrain if there's not track on it.

Something less ragingly stupid, pointless and hateful than a golf course. Like literally anything other than a golf course. I'd rather have a mall in the middle of the infield than another loving golf course.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rhyno posted:

It's also the only good thing about that city.

Indianapolis has some great food too!

The Locator posted:

Just looked at Indy on Google Maps... ummm.. where the gently caress do they park the cars for that many people? There is not much parking outside of that track, it's mostly houses and stuff.

A lot of those houses sell parking. There's also infield parking. Still doesn't seem like enough, but there is mass amounts of parking. Probably mass amounts of busses/shuttles too.

Slavvy posted:

Something less ragingly stupid, pointless and hateful than a golf course. Like literally anything other than a golf course. I'd rather have a mall in the middle of the infield than another loving golf course.

They typically do have a mall, built out of tents. They also have a (permanent) car museum in there. The golf course is just there to brag that they have a golf course.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Whats wrong with a golf course? Golf is fun and cool

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Locator posted:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

The Locator posted:

Parking in the front yards of those houses for a few bucks is a tradition nearly as old as the race itself. Also there are several large fields to the north/northwest around the Coca-cola plant that hold a lot of cars/campers.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There are also a number of parking lots for the race that are not used any other time, so they're just open grass fields.

So, yeah, pretty much any place a car will loving fit gets a car parked on it come race day, doubly so this year. You see that reddish blob right next to a couple golf holes in the infield? That's the Snake Pit. People crammed in as close as they can get for a concert in the middle of the race.

They pulled off the crowd control nearly flawlessly this year, despite moving pretty much the entire population of Anaheim into the racetrack and back out again. I think enough people heeded the warnings to get going early so it just wasn't an issue getting in.

Getting out, well, they hosed up the shuttle buses and didn't have nearly enough, but everyone else got out fine.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

:stare:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

http://crossfade.io/#!/96a7dk2es7

This needs to happen. It definitely needs to happen.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Apparently golf is more popular than you think?

I get it though, seems like a waste of space on the infield, just to say "I golfed at Indy!"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

it's best not to ask, those of us who understand it have suffered mental scars beyond belief

long live the milk gimp

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Oh god curiosity got the best of me and now all I can say is LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH!

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

fyodor posted:

Lol what?? Yes replacing the Chevy engine in the Ford coupe with a brand new Ford engine is quite whacky! What a surprise! No, no we won't mention the supercharger we'll just never speak of this again.

It's shocking because they went with a mod motor instead of a coyote. It's like they wanted to make their life harder.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

I don't know what this Volvo is but that rear window dragged me across half a parking lot:

evilcat
May 16, 2009

thechalkoutline posted:

I don't know what this Volvo is but that rear window dragged me across half a parking lot:

1800ES I believe due to the all glass rear. Not too common it seems with only two model years made and a little over 8000 produced. That one seems to be in remarkably good shape.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Enourmo posted:

Wait, that's real?

ooooooh you can streetview it https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@39.8...!7i13312!8i6656

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There are so many good viewing spots at Indy too. Coming down that front straight, the bleachers contain the sound a bit more and it's so gloriously noisy as they cross the line. Everyone's flat out and the seats rattle and it's just the best.

If they're on the infield course, the mounds are great too because you get to see lots of cool cornering. Then they open up into the back straight and it's great noise yet again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

evilcat posted:

1800ES I believe due to the all glass rear. Not too common it seems with only two model years made and a little over 8000 produced. That one seems to be in remarkably good shape.

This is correct. This car should be in every car geek's pantheon of cool poo poo. P1800 and a wagon with THAT rear window. The ES is for EcStasy.