Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The thing I liked about Novigrad is that it's very dense. Oxenfurt was a disappointment 'cause there's so very few actual quests but that's cause you have all of it in Novigrad, and they really run the gamut.
Oxenfurt gets more focus in Hearts of Stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Ciaphas posted:

(edit) Also I asked before but no one answered, alcohest and such are common enough that there's no good reason not to get flat loving stoned for every single fight, right?
I'm at level 30 and I have like 250 Dwarven spirits. go hog wild with potions.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Is it just me or do cats REALLY hate Geralt now? Before it seemed like they mostly went about their own business but now if you get within ten feet of of them, they start hissing at you.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
I want to buy the expansions through Amazon. Does anyone know if that code will work through Steam?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Book Geralt is learn2playnub Geralt, obviously. Also, I get the impression that sorcerers can easily bypass or dispel anything Geralt could do with signs. Ciri manages to learn some signs, too, but because she's a lot more magically capable than Geralt, she can annihilate a standing structure from a fair distance using the same gestures. However, Vilgefortz has mentioned before that Geralt is also capable of learning a lot of spells and being good with them too IIRC, so it's possible that Geralt could do it if he retrained himself, which is what the games kind of give us a chance to do.

Heliotrope is the sign in the books for protection like how alt-Quen works in Witcher 3 and helps protect against blasts from both physical and magical forces, so it makes me wonder how the hell Geralt's instincts to draw the sign didn't exactly show up pretty much ever again. I'll never understand why Geralt only uses signs against monsters or as a magic air bag and forgets everything besides swords when he's fighting any human or elf. Meanwhile in Witcher 3, Geralt can't cast anything to save him from falling 10 feet to his death.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

Imagine how everything would have been simpler if only Geralt had used Quen during Thanedd.
Seriously.

I've been going through the books (Tower of Swallows recently released in English so that's what I'm on) and I don't think Geralt has used any signs since Last Wish and Sword of Destiny. In the actual sequential stories he hasn't bothered at all. Same with potions.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I want to fly around the game world in VR plz CDPR. Obviously the actual gameplay isn't suited for VR but let me no clip around Skellige and find cool views or run around the streets of Novigrad

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Accordion Man posted:

Oxenfurt gets more focus in Hearts of Stone.

I guess it must. Since HoS doesn't appear to add a new location or anything, I was wondering where it was actually slated to take place. I'm still ten levels too low to go poking 'round to find out anyways.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Lareine posted:

Is it just me or do cats REALLY hate Geralt now? Before it seemed like they mostly went about their own business but now if you get within ten feet of of them, they start hissing at you.

That's actually more lore relevant. Cats can instantly recognize Witchers and don't like them. Also they're the only creatures aside from dragons that can absorb magical essence, but nobody has a loving clue what they do with it, making them one of the most mysterious beasts in the world.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Slicing people in half with heavy strong attacks is satisfying but bear 3 and 6 piece sets are complete and utter garbage. Like the worst set in the game which I find hard to believe given wolf sets just lets you stack poisons but at least that has some use.

Wizard geralt is strong until you fight something you cant use sign on and welp now you are going to have a miserable time but drat if having a chain reaction of exploding dudes not funny.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Crappy Jack posted:

That's actually more lore relevant. Cats can instantly recognize Witchers and don't like them. Also they're the only creatures aside from dragons that can absorb magical essence, but nobody has a loving clue what they do with it, making them one of the most mysterious beasts in the world.

I read that particular lore point and I'm confused--does that mean that they can use magic? Humans, dragons and cats, or does it mean something else?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I read that particular lore point and I'm confused--does that mean that they can use magic? Humans, dragons and cats, or does it mean something else?

Nobody knows. They take in the energy, just like dragons and humans do, but whereas humans and dragons will use them for awesome and terrifying magical displays, no one's ever seen a cat do anything with it. Maybe they soak it up and just poop it out. Maybe they're the most powerful magical beings in the universe and they're just biding their time. Maybe they're just too lazy.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

:iiam:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Crappy Jack posted:

Nobody knows. They take in the energy, just like dragons and humans do, but whereas humans and dragons will use them for awesome and terrifying magical displays, no one's ever seen a cat do anything with it. Maybe they soak it up and just poop it out. Maybe they're the most powerful magical beings in the universe and they're just biding their time. Maybe they're just too lazy.

Cats own

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I've seen exactly one kitty in this game and it was chill and cool and my friend. It was actually on a table during a cutscene but I'm not sure if it's a prop that's always there or just happened to be there incidentally. I'm not entirely sure how much of these cutscene details are wholly pre-loaded and how many might be algorithmic in some way--like how the camera will sometimes zoom way far out or focus on odd details even if the conversation hasn't really taken an emotional turn.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I've seen exactly one kitty in this game and it was chill and cool and my friend. It was actually on a table during a cutscene but I'm not sure if it's a prop that's always there or just happened to be there incidentally. I'm not entirely sure how much of these cutscene details are wholly pre-loaded and how many might be algorithmic in some way--like how the camera will sometimes zoom way far out or focus on odd details even if the conversation hasn't really taken an emotional turn.

Oh. That was Nibbles. Nibbles is cool. Most of the time though, cats can see that Witchers are abominations and react accordingly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So basically Witcher universe cats are just like real life cats in every single respect

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Crappy Jack posted:

One thing is for sure, they are terrible artists.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ciaphas posted:

So basically Witcher universe cats are just like real life cats in every single respect

You mean chill and cool?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

You mean chill and cool?

Yes but also lazy, indolent, and probably using magic to keep humans permanently enslaved as a food source

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ciaphas posted:

Yes but also lazy, indolent, and probably using magic to keep humans permanently enslaved as a food source

There's nothing about the ticklewhiskers at 5am that's magical

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Accordion Man posted:

One thing is for sure, they are terrible artists.

If you can call that art.

Something I like a lot is that some random incredibly minor characters are just such bros. Like the guy who you do wildlife photography with, I can so imagine Geralt popping by occasionally to have a drink with him.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

There's nothing about the ticklewhiskers at 5am that's magical

The fact that my cat hasn't been punted across the apartment yet for said 5am tickling clearly implies the use of mind controlling magics i'm on to you Hope you hear me

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The reason the games are so big on signs and potions is because the original short story is still the quintessential witcher adventure that everyone knows (relatively speaking). And they make sense from a gameplay perspective. In the saga signs and potions aren't that important and he rarely does contract work whole saving his daughter

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

Something I like a lot is that some random incredibly minor characters are just such bros. Like the guy who you do wildlife photography with, I can so imagine Geralt popping by occasionally to have a drink with him.

That second photo in the exhibition was so good.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I purchased the Witcher 3 and HoS on sale from my bookshop but apparently my 1.5 year old laptop is not enough to run it even on Low settings. GEforce GT 750 graphics card, 12 gig ram and i7 rpocessor but I can't even move Geralt to ogle on Yen at the beginning.

Is there anything I should be turning off or doing to actually be able to play this game (other than buying a desktop). If I'm hosed, I wont get Blood and Wine and play it on something else idk. :smith:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I decided to play this game again because of the new DLC and I also never finished it last time.

I totally forgot that "We must find Dudu." is a completely serious line that a character says in this game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah, especially how they set that guy up at first like he's some gormless rich moron risking his rear end for a cheap thrill, but then you find out that while he ain't the most outdoorsy type he still has a genuine appreciation for nature, is skilled with a camera, and is doing it in part to cheer up his disabled daughter.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 3, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I decided to play this game again because of the new DLC and I also never finished it last time.

I totally forgot that "We must find Dudu." is a completely serious line that a character says in this game.

Something of cheese!
The dudu quest is brilliant. I like how Priscilla based all her writing on geralt's stories like a giant fangirl. Replace duny the urcheon with a doppler

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 3, 2016

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

i never came to this thread on my first playthrough so here is my short NG+ first update:

griffin status: forever dicks

won a gwent match! may continue this card game malarkey when i head to wherever the gently caress. still need to find the other person to play in white orchard

nilfgaardians are all suspicious of me and thugs be in my grill but i am wearing kitty cat grandmaster armour featuring VERY SUSPICIOUS hood so I can't blame them. i can kill them, but i can't blame them

forgot to turn off DLC costume for yen. ridiculous

really miss having a stocked beastiary. may re-load my B&W save to read the few entries I didn't see pre-NG+.

killed some spazz by a well.

My review is short as i am only in the prologue stage but let me tell you, i will get paid no matter whay moral sacrifices i have to and will make

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
I'm a bastard who killed Letho at the end of W2. If I start a new game without any W2 save will I be able to find him alive?

Actually if I start a NG+ on the crap where I offed him will he be alive?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really liked Priscilla so I hope there's an ending for her that's happy.

Actually, I hope the characters get little "and then she/he did this" during the credits or something, I'd really like to get some closure on this cast as much as one can.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

necrobobsledder posted:

Meanwhile in Witcher 3, Geralt can't cast anything to save him from falling 10 feet to his death.

It's hard to pick a worst thing in the best video game of our lives, but I have died twice in the same hour falling no more than 10 feet as a guy who can roll around 30 times per minute while easily killing a living stone golem the size of a truck.

Also last poster and the other six: Why don't you guys like griffin + spells? Griffin/Igni is my favorite way to play the game so far, I loved Witcher 2 but rolling around spamming left click isn't really that fun. Aiming fire towards as many people as I can before they reach me, then spamming let click while rolling around is truly the best way to play a video game. Bear set is super popular in this thread and yet you just press shift click and kill a thing with an animation of a big sword? Am I missing something?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Are achievements not working for anyone else? (Playing on GOG Galaxy)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Bluhman posted:

I'm a bastard who killed Letho at the end of W2. If I start a new game without any W2 save will I be able to find him alive?

Actually if I start a NG+ on the crap where I offed him will he be alive?
If you simulate a save when Voorhis is asking you the questions in Vizima you can have Letho be alive. Don't know if that happens in NG+ though.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

to the guy who said in NG+ you don't get to repeat the vizima barber shop interview, you do.

letho lives, i answered questions that a few books and several posts in here later, I actually recognize

Accordion Man posted:

If you simulate a save when Voorhis is asking you the questions in Vizima you can have Letho be alive. Don't know if that happens in NG+ though.

whoa spooky

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Like in Dark Souls, gravity is truly the deadliest of all foes.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

extra stout posted:

It's hard to pick a worst thing in the best video game of our lives, but I have died twice in the same hour falling no more than 10 feet as a guy who can roll around 30 times per minute while easily killing a living stone golem the size of a truck.

Also last poster and the other six: Why don't you guys like griffin + spells? Griffin/Igni is my favorite way to play the game so far, I loved Witcher 2 but rolling around spamming left click isn't really that fun. Aiming fire towards as many people as I can before they reach me, then spamming let click while rolling around is truly the best way to play a video game. Bear set is super popular in this thread and yet you just press shift click and kill a thing with an animation of a big sword? Am I missing something?

In the grand tradition of fashion souls, it's 100% about the aesthetics of the armor and not at all about the stats.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Like in Dark Souls, gravity is truly the deadliest of all foes.

died in white orchard due to my longtime nemesis: fall from a trivial height

my only death so far, god forbid my next witcher contract is "walk into a quarry"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

extra stout posted:

Griffin just looks like rear end. I don't want Geralt to look like a lightbulb.

e: Ursine forever