Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

Buying a 999: good idea or the best idea?

By far the best idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

captainOrbital posted:

Depends on what you want to do with it. Track, good idea. Street, bad idea. Starbucks, good idea.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

While my Ninja is in the shop (lowside) I am going to do some test rides - Street Triple tomorrow. It looks sweet.

Voltage posted:

Man I either need to move to Cali, or you are always underestimating the cost of bikes by 1-2 grand. I swear in NY an abs beginner bike would go for at least 4k, and $1500 would get you a no title katana.

I agree. I am in Cali. I got Ninja 300 ABS 3 months ago and wasn't able to find one below $4k.

This was great, thanks.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

captainOrbital posted:

Perfect idea if you like fire. :supaburn:

Edit:

also, this will be a regular thing for you:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 2, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Nice legs. e/ clearly I'm referring to the castor stand.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 2, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I never saw the first situation with my 749... that second one though. Man. Do not try taking the harness out of the battery box, you will never get it back in right.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned: I'm all signed up for my Oregon class and will have that out of the way in about 3 weeks.

There are a couple of bikes around here that look like they might be for me. What do you all think?

1979 Honda CX 500 https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/5604120577.html

1980 Honda CB 450 https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/5605354951.html

1972 Honda CB 500 https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/5614653301.html

2002 Honda CB 750 https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/5608204946.html

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I literally tried the same thing, getting a really old bike (for me it was a bike that was given to me for free) as a first bike (it was even a Honda 500). The problem was that I spent more time working on it than riding it, which wasn't ideal at all.

So despite those bikes being running right now, they'll probably break soon. Old bikes are full of problems. That said, the pickings right now seem kind of slim for bikes in that price range. Maybe someone else can speak to the general reliability of restored Hondas from the 80s.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Don't bother with the CX, if the stator dies (which isn't uncommon) you have to drop the engine to fix it. I'd err on the side of passing for the 450/500, simply because you'll be using the bike to commute on, and the older they get, the higher the chance is that you'll be working on it more than riding it. This certainly isn't a universal rule, but I'd recommend going newer for you first bike so you can learn how to ride and not worry about 40 year old bits falling off. After a bit of experience with basic riding and wrenching, maintenance on older UJMs isn't a big deal, but it can be worrisome if you have to rely on the bike for transportation.

The nighthawk wouldn't be bad, but it's closer to the upper end of power and weight that is friendly for new riders. They may not be quite the aesthetic you're going for, but I'd seriously consider these:

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/5572845592.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/mcy/5605522088.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/5606170260.html
https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/5608641127.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/5611650646.html

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Don't even consider anything made before 2000. And if you can, get something with fuel injection to avoid the inevitable carb frustrations.

Any of the bikes the guy above me posted look pretty great.

Voltage fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 2, 2016

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

BlackMK4 posted:

Depends on what you want to do with it. Track, good idea. Street, bad idea. Starbucks, good idea.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Perfect idea if you like fire. :supaburn:

I'm trying to stay laser-focused on my mission to find The Ideal Tuono near Chicago, but I got distracted by the idea of riding around a cool-looking track-focused literbike, or that perfect-looking XB12 with the translucent "tank" or the world's purplest Street Triple or for some reason an RSV Mille WSBK Edition. There's too many things.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
For some reason the R1200R has caught my eye; 1200cc, like my Buell had, two cylinders (like my Buell had), no chain (like my Buell had). Only it's heavy and for olds...

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Dinosaur Gum
Tell me more about that Nighthawk : https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/5608204946.html

You're right in picking up that I don't have any interest in the sport bikes. I get the practicality of what you're saying, but those bikes just don't fit my personality in the slightest. Like the guy in the Triumph video said, they look like jet skis to me.

So how far out on the spectrum is that Nighthawk? I like the look of the thing, and I really like the space it has on the back to strap all my camping gear. I'm such a Pacific NW chode. One of the first things I'm likely to do with this this summer is take it out on a little camping trip in the Cascades. I know I'm likely only going to keep the thing for a year, but I'd still like to spend that year enjoying what I've got.

And let's say I ignore whatever it is you say & buy it anyway. Am I stepping into any sort of mechanical mess (ex- what you said about the CX) that I wouldn't want to?

Fender fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 2, 2016

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Don't buy a lovely old nighthawk with 45000 miles and a salvage title. You may not like those ninjas, but maybe you shouldn't bother riding if you are just doing it for the looks. Learn to ride on a bike you don't care about first and then get something that looks/is cool.

I say get a ninja 250, ride it for a year or two and then just get a Bonnie or whatever.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Also, those Ninjas aren't sportbikes. They're standards, with a comfy, upright seating position and street-usable powerbands.

The UJMs of the more recent past.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Fender posted:

Tell me more about that Nighthawk : https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/5608204946.html

You're right in picking up that I don't have any interest in the sport bikes. I get the practicality of what you're saying, but those bikes just don't fit my personality in the slightest. Like the guy in the Triumph video said, they look like jet skis to me.

So how far out on the spectrum is that Nighthawk? I like the look of the thing, and I really like the space it has on the back to strap all my camping gear. I'm such a Pacific NW chode. One of the first things I'm likely to do with this this summer is take it out on a little camping trip in the Cascades. I know I'm likely only going to keep the thing for a year, but I'd still like to spend that year enjoying what I've got.

And let's say I ignore whatever it is you say & buy it anyway. Am I stepping into any sort of mechanical mess (ex- what you said about the CX) that I wouldn't want to?

Last question: Probably. It's an older bike (14 years old) with lots of miles on it and a questionable history.

The salvage title and # of miles is worrying on that thing. At that point a lot of the mechanical bits might be wearing out, and the salvage title is just a huge question mark to me. I personally wouldn't trust that bike out to the middle of nowhere. Too much could go wrong, and being stranded with a motorcycle is no fun. The reason people are offering up the Ninja 250 isn't because we're ignoring your opinions but because it is a really good starter bike. It's reliable, easy to ride, good riding position (standard, not really sporty), cheap as balls. You'll get all your dumb new rider mistakes out of the way on something you really don't care about, then once that's done you'll be able to buy something way better.

So it might be alright in town and for local commuting, but I wouldn't go far out of town on it.

But honestly, do what you want. Keep an eye on Craigslist for more stuff to pop up, get through your class, start test riding some things, buy something and ride.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Fender posted:

Bonnieville as babby's first biek

I'm a little late to the party here, but I'll chip in here as I bought a bonnie as my first biek last fall. For the record, mine was a 2002 with 7k miles on it for $3,700 out the door (bought in the midwest). I've only been riding it for a few months now.

Bonnies are okay first bikes, but they have their flaws and drawbacks. Right after the learners class all I wanted to do was zip around on a little 250/300 for a while to just build confidence. I can't stress how much I wish I had a little 250/300 for just a few weeks to dick around on. The Bonnie is bigger, heavier, and just more unwieldy than the bikes you'll learn on. It's going to be easier to drop and harder to 'thrash around on as you learn how to biek.

With that said, the bonnie is a nice enough bike. The flaws in the 'honest bonneville review' video are all pretty true, but certainly things you can live with. I ended up installing Ricor Intiminators in mine, and they're the bee's knees. Rear shocks are next on the bracket for upgrades.

I haven't dropped the bonnie (yet :ohdear:). It's not unmanageable. It's not some huge horsepower beast that is going to run away from you and leave you on your rear end as it shoots into a school bus full of orphans. It's all very manageable and fun. It works well for commuting in the city. It lacks a windscreen, so budget some extra cash for that along with possible suspension upgrades.

So there you have it. You could certainly do it as a first bike, but be prepared for the pain in your heart and wallet when you first drop it and scuff up the beautiful engine case covers.

tl;dr - Wait until after the class to decide what you really want. Then buy a Ninja 250 to thrash around on and drop. Then buy a Bonnie and be my CA Bonnie Bud :buddy:.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

SquadronROE posted:

So it might be alright in town and for local commuting, but I wouldn't go far out of town on it.

I did trackdays and rode to Colorado from Florida on a 250. They may not be the best at any one particular thing, but they're the best introductory experience to motorcycling IMO.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

AncientTV posted:

I did trackdays and rode to Colorado from Florida on a 250. They may not be the best at any one particular thing, but they're the best introductory experience to motorcycling IMO.

Oh, when referring to "it" I meant the 14 year old Nighthawk. You can do longer trips on a 250, sure.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Ah, I misread. I agree then, and I didn't catch that it had a salvage title at first, which is an even better reason to pass it up.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Dinosaur Gum
I think I'm just gonna chill for a few weeks until I get my endorsement out of the way. I also need to talk to my Dad (we don't talk a lot, he doesn't know I'm doing this yet). He started riding a Harley when I was in high school and just jumped right in and hasn't had any accidents or problems that I'm aware of. Though I think he did swap his Softtail for a touring model at one point after realizing the first one was too much bike (and my Mom hated being on it). We'll see what's on the market in a month or so.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BlackMK4 posted:

I never saw the first situation with my 749... that second one though. Man. Do not try taking the harness out of the battery box, you will never get it back in right.

The original harness caught fire.

That was a replacement I made for a friend of mine. Fit like a glove, and hasn't caught fire since. Well... not that part of the bike at least.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fender posted:

No, it's not a mess. Superficially that bike looks very good. 45000 miles isn't too bad, those bikes easily do 100k with good maintenance. The question is of course how good its maintenance has been, but that's the case with any bike. I don't know anything about that US salvage title stuff, it just means it has been part of an insurance claim right? You're not taking the biggest risk in the world for $1700, but figure that you'll spend another $1000 in tools and parts the coming year or two. That's the generic advice for these types of bikes, not saying you should go for it. Definitely wait for your endorsement first.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Voltage posted:

Don't even consider anything made before 2000.

Unless it's a VFR. In which case, the opposite applies.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Miles tend to be kinder than age. That nighthawk has both. I've also had the displeasure for riding a couple of those, they are kind of terrifying. Slow like a 250, heavy.

Anecdote: I rode my first Ulysses past 40k in the middle of Montana, 50k on the Bonneville salt flats, and 60k near eureka Nevada. Miles don't mean a lot to me as far as where I'll take a bike. It's all about if you trust its state of repair.

My old Yamaha has like 3000 miles and I won't take it more than a couple miles from the truck

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 2, 2016

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Unless it's a VFR. In which case, the opposite applies.

I've only ever had a 6tth gen but I love it

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I rode a Nighthawk at the bike course, and it felt about as fast as my Eliminator 125 and way less comfortable. Granted it was a used up training bike, but that's probably about what you would expect from an old bike with a ton of miles.

I had a sweet 5 minute test ride on Triumph Street Triple RX. It felt pretty amazing. I will have to see how my Ninja feels like when the repairs are done - probably going to ride it for the summer and trade up.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The original harness caught fire.

That was a replacement I made for a friend of mine. Fit like a glove, and hasn't caught fire since. Well... not that part of the bike at least.
The coils like to go bad on the early models then feed power back into the ECU which has a tendency to fry the actual ground inside the ECU, then the bike won't start... however, if you plug the OBD connector in and connect the OBD ground wire to the frame the bike will run like normal. Woop.

I'm glad I sold mine before something really expensive broke.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I'm thinking, as a backup plan, I might get a cheaper SV AND A GROM.

My wife is somehow on board with this plan.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
A 749 is basically what a full-on superbike prepped SV650 is. A 999 is the 749 with another 35whp.
A Tuono is a SV1000 with more power and proper handling.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Fender posted:

A): when you're on the bike, you can't tell what it looks like
B): underneath the fairings it's still just a regular bike and you can do a conversion if you wish, case in point, my current bike, which started out as a faired sportbike before I fixed all the crash damage from the previous owner:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

A 749 is basically what a full-on superbike prepped SV650 is. A 999 is the 749 with another 35whp.
A Tuono is a SV1000 with more power and proper handling.

And a mille is an RC51 that doesn't pound your private parts into a pulp!

Or alternatively a 999 with a far lesser chance of conflagration.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

captainOrbital posted:

I have a love/hate relationship with those bikes.

The good: Still iconic as hell. Working on it is usually pretty easy, most parts are very nicely packaged to make most tasks easy. High spec parts as OEM equipment or easily swappable. Pretty mechanically reliable in stock trim. Amazing to ride fast. Sounds awesome. Belts tuned via sound.
The bad: Packaging is tight so if the bike's so much as touched pavement, everything is out of alignment. The kickstand mounts to the oil pan which is a part of the cases. The starter wires are underspec, leading to starter sprags going. Desmo valve adjustments. Belts tuned via sound. Ducati owners have absurd values for certain parts that are deemed to be desirable. Everything's loving expensive. Fuel pump filter ever 6k. Uncomfortable as gently caress. Sorta underpowered.

Totally an ownership experience worth having though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Uncomfortable as gently caress is being nice about it.

It's one of those bikes that is loving terrible and you hate it... then you ride it at the track and it all makes sense... then you hate it again.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 3, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

A): when you're on the bike, you can't tell what it looks like
B): underneath the fairings it's still just a regular bike and you can do a conversion if you wish, case in point, my current bike, which started out as a faired sportbike before I fixed all the crash damage from the previous owner:

A) Of course you can see what it looks like. Especially with a sea of gaudy plastic poo poo.

What bike is that?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Nitrox posted:

A) Of course you can see what it looks like. Especially with a sea of gaudy plastic poo poo.

What bike is that?

First gen SV650s

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
I need talking out of (in to, let's be honest) getting a new bike. I've always had I4s before and I'm on an 07 FZ1 now, and I'm childishly besotted with a 15 Monster 1200 that has about 900 miles on it. I can get it for £6500 after trade in which I can just bout afford.

I ride all year round, commuting 50 miles round trip twice a week plus the occasional long trip etc. So my concerns are reliability and practicality, which I have heard are sticking points on ducatis in general, or at least used to be? Also I would really like some fancy riding aides please.

Any thoughts? Is this OK or a bad idea? I really do want to get it but I also want to make sure its the right choice.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You definitely want to move from an i4 to a v-twin, that's for sure. Whether that vtwin is a Ducati or not depends on your tolerance for things Italian in nature

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You definitely want to move from an i4 to a v-twin, that's for sure. Whether that vtwin is a Ducati or not depends on your tolerance for things Italian in nature

I do want a v twin but I'm curious why the opinion is generally that they're better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Deketh posted:

I do want a v twin but I'm curious why the opinion is generally that they're better?

low end grunt and torque numbers. Makes it bit easier for slow maneuvers and commuting.