Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Holy poo poo i thought for my whole life this was "Seed change" and was about to stupidly call you out on it.

Someone doesn't know their Shakespeare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ZoCrowes posted:

Please don't, I've been biting the gently caress out of my thumb at him and I don't want him to catch on.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Spiritus Nox posted:

That is a goddamn sledgehammer of an ad. Hope we see a dozen more just like it.

Hillary has a billion dollars and the special "Zero Fucks" edition of Obama standing in her corner. By the time September rolls around this will seem tame.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Clinton hasn't even gotten her teeth into the Judge Curiel story!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I also get a whiff of "If you care about living things you're a pussy," which is also an attitude women who go into OB/GYN and pediatrics catch. Even though they're heavily pushed into those fields in the first place.

Isn't everyone in med school "pushed" into those specialties and primary care because everyone wants to be a surgeon and make $400k/year?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Here's one in freshly released campaign ad form.

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/738788590306500608

On Terra Firma posted:

Holy gently caress. I know there are people that will stand by him no matter what but I cannot believe for a second people wouldn't be phased by this.
And this is why I'm not worried about Hillary vs Trump. Trump has left himself wide open to being smashed on multiple fronts, but the Republicans played nice(ish) and didn't eviscerate him.

Hillary is under no compunction to hold back, and will make him look like the utterly clueless idiot he is on national television, and she will have fun doing it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Talmonis posted:

This is good stuff. Might even scare the young and stupid who were testing the waters into thinking twice before going Jihadi. "Why am I on this list?" "Oh, because we're watching you since you've been talking to known terrorists. Anything else we can help you with today?"

Speedy recourse in clearing things up would be the best though. And yeah...that'd be nice to stop the openly racist garbage that the CIA and FBI "used to" get up to.

Honestly we need an aggressive national level amnesty in exchange for therapy/assistance. Call the hotline and get your kid to complete a deradicalization program and have all changes dropped. that way communities won't feel that if they report the religious or chemistry enthusiast teen the Feds will imprison them forever. Also this should apply to all radicalized groups in the US, no matter which kind of terrorism they falsely idiolize.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Plus isn't like 80% of Trump's oppo dirt still sitting there untouched? All Hillary's done so far is throw Trump's primary campaign words back at him which is something anyone with YouTube and free time could have done.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Antti posted:

Clinton hasn't even gotten her teeth into the Judge Curiel story!

Incorrecto
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/738795152504950784

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn't everyone in med school "pushed" into those specialties and primary care because everyone wants to be a surgeon and make $400k/year?

Sexism causes women in medicine to have unique challenges in an already challenging field, and if that's news to you the amount of explanation it would take to get you up to speed would derail the thread. I hope you'll look into it on your own.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Plus isn't there like 80% of Trump's oppo dirt still sitting there untouched? All Hillary's done so far is throw Trump's primary campaign words back at him which is something anyone with YouTube and free time could have done.

That's all her campaign should do.

Meanwhile, the super PACs should go all in on the oppo.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Combed Thunderclap posted:

This is a real argument people make? :gonk:

Some engineering students are really convinced that their major is the most difficult.

I'm not sure why it's always biology there though. I don't think calling biology a soft science is that prevalent outside of dumb sophomore engineering majors and alt-right twitter.
It seems like the obvious choice is how "computer janitor" went from low status secretarial work to a High Paying IT Career when men got interested (not that that's probably perfect, either).

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This is a big reason why I didn't like Mad Men, to be honest. I know it obviously wasn't glamorizing the era as much as a lot of people thought it was, but I just couldn't separate the show from my personal political feelings, making my immersion basically for poo poo. I get that that's totally my problem, though.

It is a real problem, though. Even though the show does a really good job of ripping apart that glamorous image to show just how awful the time period really was to everyone in it, you're left with two unpleasant realities at the end 1. Change is slow and 1970 is still decades away from what we consider normal and appropriate now, and 2. Rich, white dudes will almost always land on their feet, no matter how great the gently caress up. Roger, Pete, and Don do have a little character growth that contributes towards their happy endings, but realistically they could have stayed selfish, miserable shits to the end and never faced the kind of consequences characters farther down the social ladder would face for failing to be perfect and perfectly lucky.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Every woman who's ever been photographed without a smile plastered to her face gets called "cold." We can't undo the effects of twenty years of propaganda about Hillary (I'm not done sorting out what my real feelings about her are, and I'm actively trying) but we can stop repeating stuff like this so the problem at least doesn't get worse.

Alternatively we can stop buying into the idea that there's something wrong with a woman being reserved and stern, attributes that are often prized in male leaders. I really liked the Chillery Clinton meme because it took decades of rightwing "not nice/emotive enough = not feminine enough" dogwhistles and recast them as something cool and laudable.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Precambrian posted:

It's pretty much just a list of things Trump has actually done, so Clinton's list of citations gets the gist of it.
How the hell did I miss Trump praising Tienanmen Square? Literally praising the Chinese government for wiping out protesters. Amazing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ZoCrowes posted:

Perhaps they need to brush up

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Boon posted:

Previous job numbers are almost always revised and this month's will likely be revised upwards in ensuing months.

That said, it's still not a great jobs report but who the gently caress cares since it's continuing an unprecedented period of job growth and it's not indicative of an economic slowdown.

One job report isn't, but previous job reports were also revised downward so the labor market on the whole is looking less great. I know we've all got PTSD from several years of Republicans politicizing the hell out of economic news to deny any kind of recovery under Obama, but the economy will slow down sooner or later. It's just what happens.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Trabisnikof posted:

Honestly we need an aggressive national level amnesty in exchange for therapy/assistance. Call the hotline and get your kid to complete a deradicalization program and have all changes dropped. that way communities won't feel that if they report the religious or chemistry enthusiast teen the Feds will imprison them forever. Also this should apply to all radicalized groups in the US, no matter which kind of terrorism they falsely idiolize.

I'd get behind this. Anything that can keep kids from ruining their lives (or worse, the lives of others) would be a net good. The Dylann Roof's of the world might be saved before they go too far off the deep end.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Trabisnikof posted:

Anyone else catch that Obama townhall on PBS? Some gun shop owner asked him why he wants to take all the guns and Obama was finally sick and tired of it:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/obama-to-gun-owners-im-not-looking-to-disarm-you/

This was so good that I read it twice.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

It's been years since I took Spanish (and god, I wish I'd paid more attention instead of switching to learn totally useless Japanese), but shouldn't that either be "la problema" or "el problemo"?

We used to run into poo poo like that all the time where we wanted to have a Spanish language outreach but nobody on staff could do a good job translating and it'd just end up embarrassing and Google Translate-ish. (Thankfully now we have this problem more than solved)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

FairGame posted:

It's been years since I took Spanish (and god, I wish I'd paid more attention instead of switching to learn totally useless Japanese), but shouldn't that either be "la problema" or "el problemo"?

We used to run into poo poo like that all the time where we wanted to have a Spanish language outreach but nobody on staff could do a good job translating and it'd just end up embarrassing and Google Translate-ish. (Thankfully now we have this problem more than solved)

:ese: It's el problema because it's a Greek loanword which was neuter with an -a ending in Latin.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Still, ungender all nouns.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Luigi Thirty posted:

:ese: It's el problema because it's a Greek loanword which was neuter with an -a ending in Latin.

Thanks!

zoux posted:

Fuckin' ungendered nouns using the same bathrooms as my precious snowflake what will I tell my children

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Now I know what its like to learn English!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
How will i explain ungendered nouns to my hispanic children.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

zoux posted:

Go full Chinese, kill pluralization and verb tenses too.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Dead Reckoning posted:

The 2nd amendment doesn't have anything to do with sports or hunting. One doesn't "bear arms" against whitetail.

Maybe you don't

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

duz posted:

Maybe you don't

For some reason, the thought of a deer removing his hooves and revealing dainty hands terrifies me. It's unnatural.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
A Vox Editor just got suspended for encouraging people to "riot" at Trump rallies on his Twitter.

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/3/11853096/statement-on-emmett-rensin

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Aerox posted:

A Vox Editor just got suspended for encouraging people to "riot" at Trump rallies on his Twitter.

this is good, riots are bad. It should be simple enough to just embarrass trump at the ballot box

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Aerox posted:

Please don't hurt the feelings of fascists

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Goatman Sacks posted:

encouraging political violence, definitly not fascism

really everyone who doesn't agree with me is loving fascist scum

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Spiritus Nox posted:

That is a goddamn sledgehammer of an ad. Hope we see a dozen more just like it.

I think poo poo like this helps Clinton versus Sanders, as well.

Aerox posted:

Dude definitely should get suspended for that bullshit, but whether or not he does it, I'm convinced there's going to be a bunch of liberals rioting during protesting the RNC no matter what anyone does.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 3, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Goatman Sacks posted:

I like to think America can handle an election without political violence.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Doctor Butts posted:

I think poo poo like this helps Clinton versus Sanders, as well.

:agreed:

It was probably the major reason why it was done 5 days before the CA primary.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

boom boom boom posted:

I like to think America can handle an election without political violence.

I like to think we could get rid of cops too. :D

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Doctor Butts posted:

Dude definitely should get suspended for that bullshit, but whether or not he does it, I'm convinced there's going to be a bunch of liberals rioting during protesting the RNC no matter what anyone does.

Oh good, they can join some of the conservatives who will also be riot/protesting at the RNC

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FAUXTON posted:

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/2/11843114/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-speech-transcript-foreign-policy

She lit him the gently caress up. CNN tried to pull a buzzfeed with "TOP SICK BURNS FROM CLINTON'S SPEECH" and it had thirty four quotes. I like to think CNN did that on purpose just to cram as many of those stabs in as possible but it's CNN and maybe they think that's how you make a list like buzzfeed does.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/02/politics/hillary-clinton-attack-lines-donald-trump-foreign-policy/index.html

Trump took to Twitter to try claiming it was all lies, which didn't work:

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/738745426879369216

Can't wait for the general election and the first debate between these two, especially if Hilary's going to fact check him live on stage as well. :munch:

She needs to do this on stage. Quote some awful thing Trump said and then point out exactly when/where he said it and tell people to go on her site/youtube to see it for themselves and then promptly rip him another new rear end in a top hat.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Doctor Butts posted:

this is so annoying. trump isn't any worse than any other republican, he's just louder and more idiotic. he's not an existential threat to the world, no matter how much leftists whip themselves up into thinking they're on the front lines of an anti-fascist revolt

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Can't wait for the general election and the first debate between these two, especially if Hilary's going to fact check him live on stage as well. :munch:

She needs to do this on stage. Quote some awful thing Trump said and then point out exactly when/where he said it and tell people to go on her site/youtube to see it for themselves and then promptly rip him another new rear end in a top hat.

Can Hillary just put up a Screen in the room and just play a clip to counter every lie he says in the debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope she's got a staffer screencapping Trump's Twitter just in case he tries to delete the incriminating tweets later.

• Locked thread