Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Kessler was unfortunate with his eye and hand injuries and should really have done better with his talent.

Unfortunately danish boxing currently is just a huge garbage fire.

This guy was the new big hope but the first time he faced anything that even remotely looked competent he lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Jose posted:

how much of calzaghe not fighting the best is that they avoided him because he wasn't a big enough name to be worth a fight they could well lose?

Honestly there wasn't much of a market for him at the time that some of the guys would have been going by. Jones is moving up to face 175 champs by 1997, when Joe Cal basically wins a belt. He wouldn't really have been all that viable to US audiences, especially considering Jones likely has to go back down a class by the time that it interesting. James Toney is a cruiserweight by the time Calzaghe wins his first belt, so that probably doesn't work either. Hopkins could have jumped to 168 before he went to 175, but honestly, I'd figure jumping from 160 to 175 straight off losing to Taylor again is a worthy enough challenge.

Other than that, I don't think there is a legit US 160-175er who really missed out on Calzaghe. A fight against Glen Johnson in 2000 once he wins a minor belt before jumping to 175 probably would have been fun, but he had lost to Ottke. So he could have fought the other 168 belt holders before 2006, which is probably a fair criticism. But I'd still take the Kessler and Lacy wins as pretty solid ones (I think he ruined Lacy more than Lacy was bad).

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
roy jones jr would have smoked calzaghe so bad in his prime

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Yeah before his reflexes start to go, I don't think all of the awkwardness Calzaghe could throw at him would have done him any good. Jones was too good.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Who beats prime Jones?

Aside from Montell Griffin lol

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Anyone else who he might accidentally hit while down imo.

Hard to really say, I can't really say I have a credible opinion for anything before the early 90s. I'd figure if we pretend for a second the Hagler learns from Leonard stealing rounds from him, he might be able to grind out RJJ. I think Jones is too big for most of the blown up welters, but there were some guys who could hit in the generation prior (at least going off the Classic stuff available).

I guess it depends on how chinny you think Jones ends up being if he never blows up and then comes back down in weight.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Who beats prime Jones?

Aside from Montell Griffin lol

No one at 160-168.

Maybe Michael Spinks and Bob Foster at 175.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think 168 and 175 were his prime weights, not sure how well he stacks up to best middleweights. I'm no boxing historian though, so I can't really begin to crack that nut.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think 168 and 175 were his prime weights, not sure how well he stacks up to best middleweights. I'm no boxing historian though, so I can't really begin to crack that nut.

Roy was more suited to 160 than 175, where he was fighting guys who were 6'2 and 6'3 and had 10 pounds on him. Roy was a monster at 160. He was also the only guy ever to beat prime Bernard Hopkins, and did it convincingly, with one hurt arm. Historically, I'd take him over Robinson, Hagler, Monzon, anybody.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Hooray for unification bouts :toot:

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/737802724310286336

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The pros are confirmed to be allowed to box at the Rio Olympics.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Wait, all pros, or just the ones who've jumped through a bunch of weird hoops like was mentioned earlier?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Oh this is going to be hilarious.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Any pro can enter the qualifying event in Venezuela next month. I guess there are hoops to jump through there to be eligible for the event but it seems like, based on what I've read, any pro who is seriously interested in it will be in.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Left the decision a bit late haven't they? If you put a teenager who's been preparing to fight other amateurs against guys with 20+ pro bouts they could get hurt.

Doesn't Paquiao want to go to Rio? Imagine him in the first round against a skinny 17yo from Uzbekistan

Monday Bandele fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 1, 2016

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Monday Bandele posted:

Left the decision a bit late haven't they? If you put a teenager who's been preparing to fight other amateurs against guys with 20+ pro bouts they could get hurt.

Doesn't Paquiao want to go to Rio? Imagine him in the first round against a skinny 17yo from Uzbekistan

With the scoring system and the amount of bouts an amateur has before the olympics, they honestly have the advantage over a pro. Pro pace is much slower.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

People are always saying the teenager thing, and while I agree in principle don't forget that lomachenko turned pro like last year.

In some countries it's a thing to stay an amateur forever.

Still don't think it's great, especially for proven fighters, and the new scoring system is going to favour pros as well.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Olympics uses the ten point must system now, no?
I don't think it's very fair to feed amateurs to an all time great like Pacquiao and it's definitely introduced too late to be truly fair for this Olympics. The headgear is out too now because of suspicious it caused more concussions than it prevented.

Perhaps it would have been better served being a thing in 2020 and having a pro boxers event and amateurs at the Olympics.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
On the up side, Shannon Briggs crashing the event and shouting "Lets go, Gold!!!" has a ring to it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
british boxing is going to treat this olympics at least like they always have and

https://twitter.com/RealCFrampton/status/737934645103333376?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/RealCFrampton/status/737937424228220928?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Frank warren, who is a massive bullshitter admittedly, thinks the AIBA are moving to try and take control of pro boxing

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Pacquiao isn't going to Rio, said it plainly a week or two ago.

I haven't heard of any notable pro that has expressed interest in competing so this may be a non-issue for everyone but the greenest of pro fighters or 22-3 type busted prospects looking for renewed momentum in their stalled careers.

some old hussy
Dec 6, 2005

What are you waiting for? You're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are. Come on. Stop trying to hit me and hit me.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Pacquiao isn't going to Rio, said it plainly a week or two ago.

I haven't heard of any notable pro that has expressed interest in competing so this may be a non-issue for everyone but the greenest of pro fighters or 22-3 type busted prospects looking for renewed momentum in their stalled careers.

I would love to see this man with a gold medal around his neck

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

some old hussy posted:

I would love to see this man with a gold medal around his neck

He'd probably do something really cool like get smoked out before the semifinals

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah that's the thing about this Olympic stuff. A guy like Broner could have a lot to gain from competing in the Olympics and winning a medal... but he'd look like a joke if he got beaten in the first round by some Brazilian kid nobody has ever heard of, not to mention he'd miss out on whatever $ he'd make fighting a pro instead. He's got the kind of career that would benefit from a gold medal, for sure, but he's also probably set to make good money against bums as it stands.

There are probably contractual obligations to the AIBA that will also prevent a lot of pros with lucrative or expected-to-be-lucrative careers from hopping into the Olympics.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

there are fighters that stay amateur their whole careers. khan was 17 when he fought kindelan who was like 32 and it was alright. such a huge fuss about nothing imo.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ehhh. I guess I don't see the big deal either. Pro athletes from the NBA can still compete in the Olympics as far as I'm aware. I think having the Olympic medal as a goal for aspiring fighters is good, but I also can't complain about more competition for the medals.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

My favourite part of the Olympic discussion is the nationalities people pull out when talking about the hypotheticals.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

No pros on the US Olympic team. Seems like we won't see much come of the pros inclusion until 2020.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Too late to get the cycles right for this one

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Vargas-Salido will be Fight of the year book it.

Edit: speaking of the Olympics the first "major" fighter attempting to qualify for Rio is Hassan N'Dam Njikamfor Cameroon

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/former-world-title-challenger-hassan-ndam-njikam-to-take-part-in-olympic-qualifying-event/

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 3, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ali is on life support after being admitted to hospital and probably going to die

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jose posted:

Ali is on life support after being admitted to hospital and probably going to die

2016 has been the worst, man :smith:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

The SituAsian posted:

Vargas-Salido will be Fight of the year book it.

Edit: speaking of the Olympics the first "major" fighter attempting to qualify for Rio is Hassan N'Dam Njikamfor Cameroon

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/former-world-title-challenger-hassan-ndam-njikam-to-take-part-in-olympic-qualifying-event/

Looking forward to seeing him getting knocked down repeatedly (but not out) by some random dudes

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/738947940950114304

:smith:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

gently caress 2016, man...

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Greatest of all time

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

:rip:

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Yeah that sucks. Someone post that really good Ali youtube compilation video

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Someone way better with boxing history and words make a thread about how awesome he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Bubba Smith posted:

Yeah that sucks. Someone post that really good Ali youtube compilation video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFidzk5MWwE

E: I rhought this was going to be all ali rhymes but it wasn't and i'm disappointed

I mean it's got a lot of that though

EE: better link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTcbxTXV8pM

Jump King fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 4, 2016

• Locked thread