Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Deketh posted:

I do want a v twin but I'm curious why the opinion is generally that they're better?

They're not soulless robotic hand buzzers.

V-twin is God's configuration. 2 wheels, 2 cylinders, amen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Deketh posted:

I do want a v twin but I'm curious why the opinion is generally that they're better?

Someone post the gifs.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I4:

v-twin:

p-twin:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Take a V4 and call me in the morning.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Is there a nice sarcasm-filled summary of what Italian nature is?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

pokie posted:

It would be some sort of GIF with a dapper man enjoying an espresso, but which suddenly turns into a vicious oil well fire.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

pokie posted:

Fix It Again Tony, writ large

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Midlife crises never cost so much or looked so good

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Deketh posted:

No motor configuration is objectively "better", unless you take into consideration what you'll be doing with it.

I'll assume you want to use your motorcycle on the street, like 99% of us.

I4's can make big power but it's generally only at the very top end of their rev range, the other 80% of the rpm range is spent waiting for something to happen. Also since they rev so high they generally don't get fun until you're breaking the law. Also they tend to be buzzy and don't sound good unless you are into the sound of a civic with an exhaust on it.

V-twins are torquey, can be very revvy and are generally more fun on the street. If you're thinking about a Ducati, v-twins have the most soul, which is critical to Ducati ownership. Standardizing on v-twins is one thing the Italians got right, unlike most of the other stuff related to their bikes.

Parallel twins, despite technically being 0 degree v-twins are boring and generally lifeless motors. Apparently Yamaha makes a decent 270 degree p-twin that isn't terrible, but I'll believe it when I ride one.

Triples are awesome, but come saddled with a speed or street triple that you have to deal with. Please buy a GT750 if you want a triple.

Basically they all have their advantages and disadvantages, but for the average street rider a v-twin is hard to beat.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Can confirm, had a boringish ptwin in a ninja 250, an i4 that did nothing until 8k, and now a v twin tuono wheelie machine supreme that owns hard all the time.

I do still miss the i4 in my R1 and it never felt underpowered, and my next bike is gonna be the new FZ/MT10 which should satisfy the urge.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also just for reference I went from a versys 650 (p-twin) to an SV650 (v-twin) this past year and despite both being fuel injected twins that make similar power and displace 650cc's they could not be more different

Cylinder config does matter

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Deketh posted:

As someone who went from riding an FZ-1 to now having an SV650, can confirm this:

Skreemer posted:

low end grunt and torque numbers. Makes it bit easier for slow maneuvers and commuting.

Right off idle it has more grunt than my old FZ-1, it's basically almost impossible to stall this thing, even starting off on a steep hill - and mind you this is an old 650cc bike with literally half the HP of an FZ-1. But once you get above 6000 RPM there's just no extra oomph, it just kinda gradually gets less and less punch the higher you go (not wheezing or anything, just doesn't feel as strong as down low), as opposed to a liter I4 which goes from ludicrous speed to plaid around that RPM.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Triples are awesome, but come saddled with a speed or street triple that you have to deal with. Please buy a GT750 FZ-09 or XSR900 if you want a triple.

Fixt.

pokie posted:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Cylinder config does matter

Relay this to bmw. thanks~ in regards to the horizontal twin

You also forgot thumpers. :cry:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Thumpers are tiny tractors with a fun amount of torque if they're powerful enough. I actually rode an xl500 the other that was a hoot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
A huge chunk of that low end responsiveness is down to gearing and flywheel weight.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thumpers I find are generally more fun because of the bike they're mounted in, rather than the engine itself

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I had a 250 Ninja to start with. A parallel twin is fine to start on. Very linear, not likely to give you a sudden burst of unexpected uncontrollable power if your wrist twitches when you go over a pot hole. Its not exciting, but its confidence building. It did sound boring though at normal rev range. Then I had the 1000cc superhawk. V-twin. Sounded and felt great. A lot of low end torque which made it a lot of fun to ride around at normal speeds. Also sounded amazing. The only thing I didn't like was that it would occasionally be uneven while at a static speed. Now on the bandit; huge torque at any speed. Sounds like a civic.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's called surging, it can usually be tuned out :)

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Fixed from my own p-twin experience.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I'm thinking about getting an FZ-07. What are the lovely things about this bike?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

triples:

(think of the stutter as changing gear)

still working on thumpers

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Triples are awesome, but come saddled with a speed or street triple that you have to deal with. Please buy a GT750 if you want a triple.

What's wrong with street triple?

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Thanks for the advice and amusing gifs y'all, can't wait to get my fancy red oil fire.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No motor configuration is objectively "better", unless you take into consideration what you'll be doing with it.

I'll assume you want to use your motorcycle on the street, like 99% of us.

I4's can make big power but it's generally only at the very top end of their rev range, the other 80% of the rpm range is spent waiting for something to happen. Also since they rev so high they generally don't get fun until you're breaking the law. Also they tend to be buzzy and don't sound good unless you are into the sound of a civic with an exhaust on it.

I'd argue that I4s make good commuters for this reason, sure they're boring and predictable if you shift early and use all the gears without breaking the speed limit, but if you want a bit of fun (and to drain the tank twice as fast) you can just leave it in second :newlol:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I haven't figured out whether I want a triple or a v-twin for my next bike. The Ninja 500 is just such an excellent commuter I might never get rid of it though, unless I give it to my buddy as a gift. Same guy who shot those cool photos of my bike, he really wants one but can't quite afford it right now.

It's still way too early for me to get something more powerful but I can dream.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I guess I should clarify, all of the things that I said about p-twins make them excellent beginner motors. It's part of why ninja 250's sold like hot cakes and are the de facto starter bike.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Speaking of power, is there anything new in the 80-100hp range? The only things I can see that make that are 600cc i4s from the 80s and 90s (although some were still in production until just a couple of years ago).

Now it seems like there's your ~600 twins that make 70hp on a good day while anything bigger than that (or the new 600cc i4s) puts out 120hp minimum, and a big hole in between.

Am I not looking hard enough, or is there really nothing there? Is it just that modern electronics/ride control means there's no reason to restrict the power of middleweights to under 100hp?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Not looking hard enough. I think the new Africa twin falls in that range, as does the Indian scout, Yamaha FZ-07, CB1100F, probably more. Depends on what you like to ride I guess.

rdb fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 4, 2016

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Speaking of power, is there anything new in the 80-100hp range? The only things I can see that make that are 600cc i4s from the 80s and 90s (although some were still in production until just a couple of years ago).

Now it seems like there's your ~600 twins that make 70hp on a good day while anything bigger than that (or the new 600cc i4s) puts out 120hp minimum, and a big hole in between.

Am I not looking hard enough, or is there really nothing there? Is it just that modern electronics/ride control means there's no reason to restrict the power of middleweights to under 100hp?

Husky 701! Only 67hp, but it's also 320 or 350 wet (internet says different things) and either way it's light enough that it should feel more in the middle of that 80-100 range than its heavier competitors. Also, I haven't blindly promoted either the super Duke or the 701 lately so it's got that going for it as well.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

HotCanadianChick posted:

A): when you're on the bike, you can't tell what it looks like
B): underneath the fairings it's still just a regular bike and you can do a conversion if you wish, case in point, my current bike, which started out as a faired sportbike before I fixed all the crash damage from the previous owner:

Ninja 500 is still my favorite bike for "looks like frumpy rear end with fairings, looks brutal when you strip them."

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

PCOS Bill posted:

Fix It Again Tony, writ large

My friend says that in Brazil they joke that Fiat stands for "foi inganada agora tarde": I got ripped off this afternoon.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

I'd argue that I4s make good commuters for this reason, sure they're boring and predictable if you shift early and use all the gears without breaking the speed limit, but if you want a bit of fun (and to drain the tank twice as fast) you can just leave it in second :newlol:

I can't legally use my 4th or 5th gear unless I want to bog below 5k rpms. :sigh:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Chichevache posted:

I can't legally use my 4th or 5th gear unless I want to bog below 5k rpms. :sigh:

Sounds like a good excuse for a +1/-2 sprocket set. :getin:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Chichevache posted:

Probably the only reason I get away with it is the zzr has a really flat torque curve with acceptable pull* as low as 4krpm for everything short of actual hills (though 70mph in 6th puts me at 6.5k)

Remind me what you're on?

*for cruising/sedate takeoffs, not overtaking

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 4, 2016

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Ola posted:

It would be some sort of GIF with a dapper man enjoying an espresso, but which suddenly turns into a vicious oil well fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldn4JkJsBsE

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The VFR800 is still sitting around 109hp...

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
So I've had my CB500F for a while now and no matter how hard I push it, it doesn't bring out any emotion in me anymore.

I've been looking at a naked, torque monster, as most of my riding is 0-60 and my heart seems to be set on the FZ-07. I test drove my friends ER6N and as exhilarating as it was to ride it, I felt like I needed a bit more oomph. Is the FZ-07 still a good option or should I go for the FZ-09? I'd be keeping this bike for a few years as well. Any other suggestions?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

PCOS Bill posted:

The VFR800 is still sitting around 109hp...

There are parts of every vfr800 I love but no one that's perfect. The latest headlight, engine, and assorted comfort gizmos look great, but they scrapped the beautiful undertail exhaust from the previous model, and moved the radiators off the sides leaving the thing too skinny for my dadly tastes. :sigh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pr0phecy posted:

So I've had my CB500F for a while now and no matter how hard I push it, it doesn't bring out any emotion in me anymore.

I've been looking at a naked, torque monster, as most of my riding is 0-60 and my heart seems to be set on the FZ-07. I test drove my friends ER6N and as exhilarating as it was to ride it, I felt like I needed a bit more oomph. Is the FZ-07 still a good option or should I go for the FZ-09? I'd be keeping this bike for a few years as well. Any other suggestions?

Go for the FZ-09. Or buy a Street Triple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Parallel twins, despite technically being 0 degree v-twins are boring and generally lifeless motors. Apparently Yamaha makes a decent 270 degree p-twin that isn't terrible, but I'll believe it when I ride one.

It's super good.

quote:

FZ09/FJ09/XSR900 !