Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

DemonMage posted:

Most important thing as a newbie is grab Neversink's Loot Filter, bunch of junk in the post just hop down to the Instructions section. This'll make life a hell of a lot easier by highlighting important things and making it super hard to miss important currency. And most importantly it'll hide completely worthless items as you go, so you don't even have to worry about 100% junk items.

This is great ty. Anything else? I've scanned the last 10 pages or so and read the OP. I'm pretty nervous about loving up my build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Unless you follow a build guide to the letter, you probably will gently caress up your first build but you'll have built up a stash of items and experience to make your next character (and the one after that, and the one after that, and the one after...) all that much better.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Can I get an invite to the guild? Character name is SAHashtagYoloswag

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

quote:

Disabled background preloading on Windows XP to restore compatability with that fifteen-year-old operating system.

lol

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

quote:

Fixed a bug where prophecies related to crafting could be completed by anyone in the town of the person with the Prophecy.
Someone got a free (Act 1 Normal) rare and a free 20% armor quality boost from me because of this one. I still got the achievement for boosting something to 20% quality with a prophecy though.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Bouquet posted:

Someone got a free (Act 1 Normal) rare and a free 20% armor quality boost from me because of this one. I still got the achievement for boosting something to 20% quality with a prophecy though.

I was on the receiving end of one of these. Was a little confused until now.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 4, 2016

Post Alone
Mar 29, 2010

SOMEONE PLEASE, invite big_gay_grandma to the guild. Thanks, folks!

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

96 spacejam posted:

I only understand a few of those words but I'll start combing the official build forums to piece it together. And not that I'm going to play HC for my first playthrough but is this a glass cannon type build or can I take some hits as a dex/int char? Specifically with the build you laid out

Very few builds in PoE are tanky in the sense that they can safely take more than a couple of hits from (level-appropriate) enemies. The character's passive defences are for dealing with the damage you don't avoid by moving your character out of the way.

The suggested defences were life, with lots of life nodes and evasion. Life nodes meaning passive tree nodes that have a stat "% increased maximum Life". You should aim for at least 180% total increase. And then get items with a base life stat for every slot you can. This should get you comfortably over 5k life.
Evasion gives you a un-randomised roll against enemy accuracy to avoid attacks and to prevent critical hit confirmation from attacks. The exact mechanics can be seen on the wiki (Evasion). You should aim to have 10k+ evasion in your final gear. Base evasion comes almost exclusively from items, and increase % from dexterity and passive nodes.

The recommended start as Shadow is also fairly close to the Acrobatics cluster, which can provide another defensive layer. Dodge and spell dodge are random rolls to completely prevent attack and spell hits, respectively. Note that evasion only works against attacks, so it's a very good idea to get another layer of defence on top of your life pool vs spells. High evasion and dodge also render you very "tanky" against attacks, since you negate most hits.

One layer of defence that was not mentioned earlier is elemental resistances. They are fairly easy to cap at 75%. Aim to have your resistances capped for the Act 4 boss fights in normal. And re-capped as soon as you can in cruel and merciless difficulties. Chaos resistance is less important, but getting it to at least 0% (after merciless penalty) is a good idea.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
FYI, currency stash tabs are on sale today

96 spacejam posted:

This is great ty. Anything else? I've scanned the last 10 pages or so and read the OP. I'm pretty nervous about loving up my build

Are you going to be making your own? If so, valid concern - you want lots of life; damage can come later :)

If not, just follow the build and you can't really go wrong :)

There are some good league starters here

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Valle posted:

Will you be switching to the one in your thread at some point, or is this a refined version?

I will be switching over to a build closer to the one in my thread later on, the reason I haven't updated my thread on the oforums is I want to do some testing with the new juggernaut stuff, but I will be updating my build as I progress in Prophecy. My goal is to kill Uber Atziri, twinned Core, and whatever the new council boss fight is, since those are the only fights I wasn't able to do in Perandus.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Please invite ApoCoCalipse into the guild.

J
Jun 10, 2001

soscannonballs posted:

I will be switching over to a build closer to the one in my thread later on, the reason I haven't updated my thread on the oforums is I want to do some testing with the new juggernaut stuff, but I will be updating my build as I progress in Prophecy. My goal is to kill Uber Atziri, twinned Core, and whatever the new council boss fight is, since those are the only fights I wasn't able to do in Perandus.

Hey, I know you're lazy and don't like to push buttons but before you spend money on kaom's heart this league, try out ancestral warchief. I'm only rocking a 3 link earthquake and a 2 link ancestral warchief at the moment but I've been quite impressed with the damage it does and am currently planning to link it up more and try it in maps to help with killing bosses or tough unique enemies. The damage has been quite noticeable so far even with a random rear end levelling weapon. I was considering using kaom's but now I'm really leaning towards wanting sockets in my chest armor instead.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
So I just has a Tabula Rasa drop off a goat man near Kuduku. What are these things worth these days?

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

J posted:

Hey, I know you're lazy and don't like to push buttons but before you spend money on kaom's heart this league, try out ancestral warchief. I'm only rocking a 3 link earthquake and a 2 link ancestral warchief at the moment but I've been quite impressed with the damage it does and am currently planning to link it up more and try it in maps to help with killing bosses or tough unique enemies. The damage has been quite noticeable so far even with a random rear end levelling weapon. I was considering using kaom's but now I'm really leaning towards wanting sockets in my chest armor instead.

I used it a bit while leveling and its a very cool skill, but I don't need the damage. I was able to kill t12+ map bosses very quickly already, so having more life is much more important than some boss damage.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Bombogenesis posted:

So I just has a Tabula Rasa drop off a goat man near Kuduku. What are these things worth these days?

https://www.poe.trade

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Learning this game is a blast; I'd originally written off Tornado Shot as "eh, I guess it's cool but my Split Arrow's doing way way better dps". I didn't realize the split would benefit from LMP/GMP :getin:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

LMAO - goddess unleashed guy really got screwed on his unique item.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Does anyone know how gaining your ascendancy works on subsequent characters? Do you just get the points right away? Do you have to run the lab once to choose your ascendancy and then get the points? How easy or difficult it is will help decide my next character (and I need the help; so many great builds).

Also, can I get a guild invite for NoperBombard?

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
A word of caution: the possessed foe prophecy will stick a tormented spirit in all three of the minibosses in the arena before Daresso. I assume it will do the same to Museum and Arena maps. If you pair it with the prophecy that makes a spirit pop back out of the possessed mob when you kill it, it makes for a very easy way to get the double possession challenge and a ton of loot! Or you could die horribly.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

How the gently caress are people almost level 90 already. Bots? Or have they been playing non stop since the first second the servers came back up?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Noper Q posted:

Does anyone know how gaining your ascendancy works on subsequent characters? Do you just get the points right away? Do you have to run the lab once to choose your ascendancy and then get the points? How easy or difficult it is will help decide my next character (and I need the help; so many great builds).

Also, can I get a guild invite for NoperBombard?

The only thing that gets skipped on subsequent characters is doing the Trials. Still have to run the Lab each difficulty/character.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Nostrum posted:

How the gently caress are people almost level 90 already. Bots? Or have they been playing non stop since the first second the servers came back up?

They play nearly nonstop at the start of the league, they're very good at the game and some of them have a team of people helping them out.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Yeah there are quite a few people who will play for 30+ hours, some of them have groups of friends who pool their currency together onto one guy to enable a really broken build that can carry the whole group. Like last league it was scold's bridle to get a vaal molten shell guy online as soon as possible. And they'll have someone playing a dedicated support character which adds an absurd amount of survivability to the group. Some others are streamers who have armies of fanboys who give them items as well.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

lol, completing the Kuduku prophecy gives a bunch of fusing orbs

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Nostrum posted:

I went to bed when I hit top50 on the hcladder, which was lvl78 I think. This was around 22 hours into the league, but Im a very slow starter compared to the best racers.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Could I get a guild invite for DevorEQ please.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Okay so my computer is fixed, I'm downloading today, and I need to make a decision on what melee build to roll. Cyclone is obviously still good, I've heard EQ is pretty good? But I don't know how I feel about trying to have as low attack speed as possible, I like going fast. What's a good fast melee build? Or should I just go with cyclone for the third time?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Bob NewSCART posted:

Okay so my computer is fixed, I'm downloading today, and I need to make a decision on what melee build to roll. Cyclone is obviously still good, I've heard EQ is pretty good? But I don't know how I feel about trying to have as low attack speed as possible, I like going fast. What's a good fast melee build? Or should I just go with cyclone for the third time?

Blade Vortex maybe?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

What you're probably looking for is ice crash.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Do ES/life builds just forego armor/evade and try to pick up as many ES/life nodes as possible and Acrobatics or something? My witch has okay raw health but abysmal armor and evasion, and I'd have to go pretty far out of my way to get any of either (Acrobatics is also pretty far away from where I'm speccing but it's a ton of evasion and I could also probably pick up a few evasion nodes along the way).

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

EQ works just fine with high attack speed, in fact once you have some gear you will one-shot most enemies with just the initial hit.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Please invite MorgothGrond to guild.

Thanks!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Goons, tell me if I should play Lightning Arrow or Caustic Arrow

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Lightning Arrow

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

Goons, tell me if I should play Lightning Arrow or Caustic Arrow

Do you want to kill things directly or make piles of goo and then dodge stuff while the enemy melts?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Posting Mathil's 2H slayer lacerate:
click

From his starter build video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sxPNmjJCX8

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I found an Overflowing Chalice and holy cow, this thing is awesome. I can keep my flasks up about 80% of the time if I time everything right just killing a few things as I run through a zone, I'm sure it'd be closer to 100% if I had more of my Pathfinder points (I only have Nature's Adenaline right now). And they're dirt cheap. Go out and buy one and play with it if you can.

Also could I get a guild invite on ThisIsntLettuce? Thanks. (steam account is harahune if I'm dumb and you need that instead)

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 5, 2016

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i wanted to make a build with gmp frostbolt totems on a heirophant with ice nova mines and it turns out that does not work

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the frostbolt and ice nova/vortex combo is loving bad. probably better to just raw cast frost bolt or vortex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm starting to suspect that they tested FB/vortex with like zero ping, when even the slightest ping means your vortices won't go off on top of the FB you clicked, on, and it is instead centred on you. Increasing the projectile speed of the FB makes it harder to get it to work right. Decreasing the projectile speed just makes it a bitch to clear.

It's like they're trying to make us pull off UT shock rifle explosions, except there's no room clearing reward for lining up the shot properly, and you're better off just running up to everyone and setting off the vortex yourself.

• Locked thread