Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Apropos of nothing, Gabriel Duquette's Twitter is much harder to mine for material than Rev's, because you have to dig past his terrible, terrible taste in film.

He's both too much of an arrogant snob to enjoy popular culture and too much of a close-minded phillistine to enjoy high art, it's insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

Curvature of Earth posted:

Link please? Searching SA shows lots of references to her posting but none of her actual posts :(

here you go
bitcoin: a sisyphean nightmare, forever trapped in an endless wall of sperg

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh man I stopped following that thread at the exact wrong time and missed that, now I'm super disappointed :smith:

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/LibertyFarmNH/status/738722311336001536

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Apropos of nothing, Gabriel Duquette's Twitter is much harder to mine for material than Rev's, because you have to dig past his terrible, terrible taste in film.

He's both too much of an arrogant snob to enjoy popular culture and too much of a close-minded phillistine to enjoy high art, it's insane

Yeah, how can anyone suffer through the horrid post-rationalist twitter film discourse. Or their literary analyses.

At least Rev cuts the crap and puts up his lovely opinions every day with due diligence. That's something to respect.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

slate star codex posted:

I once read a science-fiction story that depicted a pretty average sci-fi future – mighty starships, weird aliens, confederations of planets, post-scarcity economy – with the sole unusual feature that rape was considered totally legal, and opposition to such as bigoted and ignorant as opposition to homosexuality is today. Everybody got really angry at the author and said it was offensive for him to even speculate about that. Well, that’s the method by which our cheerful acceptance of any possible future values is maintained: restricting the set of “any possible future values” to “values slightly more progressive than ours” and then angrily shouting down anyone who discusses future values that actually sound bad. But of course the whole question of how worried to be about future value drift only makes sense in the context of future values that genuinely violate our current values. Approving of all future values except ones that would be offensive to even speculate about is the same faux-open-mindedness as tolerating anything except the outgroup.

This kind of nonsense.

It's hard to interpret SSC-dude sometimes because a) he's a poor writer and b) you can't believe someone could come to such a twisted, dumbfuck conclusion. But as far as I can tell, he's saying that to best prevent a future where rape is normalized, we absolutely must not criticize dudes who like to fantasize about rape futures and think rape is ethically isomorphic to homosexuality, or whatever.

Imagine trying to pick a restaurant with this guy:

SSC: Where should we eat?
You: Hm I'm not sure. Just not pizza. Anything but that.
SSC: *drives up to pizza place* Oh well, I freely choose pizza.
You: What the gently caress, dude?
SSC: Ah, but by accepting *any* future except one that includes pizza, you lay the groundwork for a future that eventually includes pizza.
You: Holy poo poo you put a lot of thought into being a dumb rear end in a top hat.
SSC: You're just saying that because I'm in your outgroup.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Thanks, this is gold. Wow, this was when she was reporting on the Ross Ulbricht trial. (You know, the guy who ran Silk Road. Also he hired a hitman, because he saw that reducto ad absurdum of libertarianism and 100% unregulated free markets and thought it was a fuckin' great idea.)

Hey, what's the NRx position on hiring assassins?

*St. Rev voice* "Leftists have already murdered millions by tolerating Muslims and taking away Milo's verified checkmark"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can't believe that hitmen actually exist. I know there are people who murder others as part of their jobs, but the economics of being a person whose sole source of income is going out and killing others for a flat fee paid by strangers who find you through personal connections or secret ads just can't work, can they?

Mafia hitmen are also into selling illegal poo poo and protection schemes and illegal loans, and their murders are in the context of furthering their own careers or increasing the competitive advantages of their organization. Tv has taught a generation of idiots that they can just pay ten grand to a stranger to kill somebody.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

I can't believe that hitmen actually exist. I know there are people who murder others as part of their jobs, but the economics of being a person whose sole source of income is going out and killing others for a flat fee paid by strangers who find you through personal connections or secret ads just can't work, can they?

Mafia hitmen are also into selling illegal poo poo and protection schemes and illegal loans, and their murders are in the context of furthering their own careers or increasing the competitive advantages of their organization. Tv has taught a generation of idiots that they can just pay ten grand to a stranger to kill somebody.

I expect it's a "have a day job" situation, like acting and visual art. Probably a more secure career choice than those, though.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Sax Solo posted:

But as far as I can tell, he's saying that to best prevent a future where rape is normalized, we absolutely must not criticize dudes who like to fantasize about rape futures and think rape is ethically isomorphic to homosexuality, or whatever.

Nah, he's responding to this idea

quote:

A short digression: there’s a certain strain of thought I find infuriating, which is “My traditionalist ancestors would have disapproved of the changes typical of my era, like racial equality, more open sexuality, and secularism. But I am smarter than them, and so totally okay with how the future will likely have values even more progressive and shocking than my own. Therefore I pre-approve of any value changes that might happen in the future as definitely good and better than our stupid hidebound present.”

And saying that the only reason people are okay with hypothetical future values is because they are mostly okay with those values already.

Also wasn't the writer of that story Yudkowsky? Why be so coy?

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax

Sax Solo posted:

This kind of nonsense.

It's hard to interpret SSC-dude sometimes because a) he's a poor writer and b) you can't believe someone could come to such a twisted, dumbfuck conclusion.
...It sounds to me like a lot of words to just reinvent an especially :tvtropes: version of "maybe people in the distant future will do some things we think are hosed up and/or grotesque but for reasons that make perfect sense to them, and how do you know they won't!?" i.e. the idea that occurs to every even slightly clever kid who knows what both history and science fiction are. Except the kid is usually smart enough to just shrug at futurism beyond for-entertainment-purposes-only and go back to doodling in class.
It sounds like he's more concerned about not predicting the future incorrectly than he is about envisioning it in any kind of constructive, inspiring, illuminating way. Why should we give a poo poo about the space of ALL POSSIBLE future values, anyway? Nobody debates the future of ethics inside of an episode of goddamn Rick & Morty (as fun as that would be). It's not like any values we have now or would have in the future materialized out of nowhere with no antecedents in previous values, convincing moral arguments, or material needs.

^E: f;b

Puppy Time posted:

I expect it's a "have a day job" situation, like acting and visual art. Probably a more secure career choice than those, though.
I dunno you could set up a Patreon and one of the low level rewards is they'll kick someone in the balls for you.

Frogisis has a new favorite as of 07:11 on Jun 4, 2016

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

Nah, he's responding to this idea

Ah you're right, he's just blasting his strawman for its hypocrisy, which makes him very brave for thinking about this dystopia.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I first parsed this as criticizing sneer culture on the basis that it's just an accusation empty of logic. Correct, even if weirdly composed. Because I was sure that even post-rationalists don't take the term seriously.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Curvature of Earth posted:

*St. Rev voice* "Leftists have already murdered millions by tolerating Muslims and taking away Milo's verified checkmark"

To be fair, even Rev isn't that bad. Or he is, but not transparently so. His voice would go more like:

[some right-wing figure wrote a racist piece about refugees and Muslims which was widely criticized by the left]

Rev, subtweeting about the critics: "These commie prog fuckbags sure are evil, wanting to crush this poor free thinker!"

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Patrick Spens posted:

Also wasn't the writer of that story Yudkowsky? Why be so coy?

Probably because he knows it looks bad if it's too obvious he's just making questionable excuses for his buddy's lovely execution of a reprehensible story idea.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I know it's a few pages late, but the best part of the Gawker trial was Hulk trying to explain kayfabe by talking about his dick. :allears:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sax Solo posted:

This kind of nonsense.

It's hard to interpret SSC-dude sometimes because a) he's a poor writer and b) you can't believe someone could come to such a twisted, dumbfuck conclusion. But as far as I can tell, he's saying that to best prevent a future where rape is normalized, we absolutely must not criticize dudes who like to fantasize about rape futures and think rape is ethically isomorphic to homosexuality, or whatever.

Imagine trying to pick a restaurant with this guy:

SSC: Where should we eat?
You: Hm I'm not sure. Just not pizza. Anything but that.
SSC: *drives up to pizza place* Oh well, I freely choose pizza.
You: What the gently caress, dude?
SSC: Ah, but by accepting *any* future except one that includes pizza, you lay the groundwork for a future that eventually includes pizza.
You: Holy poo poo you put a lot of thought into being a dumb rear end in a top hat.
SSC: You're just saying that because I'm in your outgroup.

Scott is the slimiest motherfucker, I swear to god.

He's so dishonest, I'm pretty sure there's even a part of him that doesn't think he's dogwhistling

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Sax Solo posted:

Ah you're right, he's just blasting his strawman for its hypocrisy, which makes him very brave for thinking about this dystopia.

I'd guess that the rationalist who hangs out with a bunch of techno-fetishists probably runs into more obnoxious future-utopians than you or I.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/nydwracu/status/718499072768913408

"What an unbelievable oval office"-St_Rev, after seeing a piece of architecture he doesn't like

Takin' after Lovecraft in more ways than one

EDIT: Oh my, this is a can of worms https://twitter.com/search?q=st_rev%20architecture&src=typd

The Vosgian Beast has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Jun 4, 2016

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Am I reading this right:

Someone publishes a standard "ugh i think modern buildings are like so uggo and not at all like the nice traditional cathedrals we used to build!" about Paris that ends with "so like asking people what they think is a new kind of journalism right? like, why do people even build stuff like this (lol)?", rev goes "it's autism and malevolence (of the left, and a sign of the destruction of white European culture by leftists)", nydrawcan'tspellthisname King Shitbeard the Fourth, presumptive, jumps in with "looks okay i guess but lol progs", cites an article lamenting the demolition of brutalist structures as an example of leftists embracing the destruction of European culture, rev agrees that leftists are all trash by insulting the author of the article, and the author of the brutalist article is not cool with having his article mentioned in this context by shitbeard? And shitbeard apparently doesn't understand how to track who gets to your article from where?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Wales Grey posted:

Am I reading this right:

Someone publishes a standard "ugh i think modern buildings are like so uggo and not at all like the nice traditional cathedrals we used to build!" about Paris that ends with "so like asking people what they think is a new kind of journalism right? like, why do people even build stuff like this (lol)?", rev goes "it's autism and malevolence (of the left, and a sign of the destruction of white European culture by leftists)", nydrawcan'tspellthisname King Shitbeard the Fourth, presumptive, jumps in with "looks okay i guess but lol progs", cites an article lamenting the demolition of brutalist structures as an example of leftists embracing the destruction of European culture, rev agrees that leftists are all trash by insulting the author of the article, and the author of the brutalist article is not cool with having his article mentioned in this context by shitbeard? And shitbeard apparently doesn't understand how to track who gets to your article from where?

Pretty much

Rev is basically at the same level of perpetual rage at the perceived immorality of others that his strawman evil puritan prog is.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Accusing alt-right of lacking self awareness is kind of like saying the sky is blue, water is wet, fire is hot.

Having zero self-awareness is a requirement to embrace the bullshit. If you can't comfortably say "All women are sluts!" in front of the only woman who will touch you (your mother), you can't remain a part of the alt-right.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I just read the YCS alt-right thread and the fash is coming from inside the thread. :stonk:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jack Gladney posted:

There is this idea I have been seeing for over twenty years (I clearly remember reading about it in Wired) that if we develop some kind of secure anonymous system for transfering money, we'll be able to bring down the government because people will put out contracts for the killing of government officials. Yes, all of them. Then will come the good things.

I suspect there's like one guy who has a fixed idea here, and who is constantly re-published and referenced so other people get that same idea.

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I see Scott Alexander has been doing well in the months since this thread stopped paying attention to him

Wait. Isn't Scott into EA? Those $15,000 could, if donated to AMF, save the lives of around 5 children. I'm pretty sure that saving those lives is giving far more bang for buck than supporting some tech conference. Even if supporting a tech conference generates more good for the world then saving the lives of children, which hey it might, you should generally donate overseas, because it is almost always more cost effective. Shouldn't he try to find a bunch of fascists who are trying to organize a tech conference in South Africa and tell his followers to fund that instead? I mean, Scott is a lovely hypocrite of no value so I am not going to go trolling through his work, but does anyone know if he has a better justification for this bullshit.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nessus posted:

There is this idea I have been seeing for over twenty years (I clearly remember reading about it in Wired) that if we develop some kind of secure anonymous system for transfering money, we'll be able to bring down the government because people will put out contracts for the killing of government officials. Yes, all of them. Then will come the good things.

I suspect there's like one guy who has a fixed idea here, and who is constantly re-published and referenced so other people get that same idea.

Did you ever see that weird letter I guess someone sent to Lowtax about how bitcoin would lead to a future where anonymous crowdfunded exploding drones would descend from the sky on anyone who slighted anyone else ever and mankind would have to permanently stay indoors and lead the ideal nerd lifestyle and only go out rarely while wearing scramble suits, because that's my favorite version of this dumb idea.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Reflections85 posted:

Wait. Isn't Scott into EA? Those $15,000 could, if donated to AMF, save the lives of around 5 children. I'm pretty sure that saving those lives is giving far more bang for buck than supporting some tech conference. Even if supporting a tech conference generates more good for the world then saving the lives of children, which hey it might, you should generally donate overseas, because it is almost always more cost effective. Shouldn't he try to find a bunch of fascists who are trying to organize a tech conference in South Africa and tell his followers to fund that instead? I mean, Scott is a lovely hypocrite of no value so I am not going to go trolling through his work, but does anyone know if he has a better justification for this bullshit.

Bullies are being mean to a nerd and we, the nerd underdogs of society who make more than everyone else for some reason must stand up to the bullies and say we shall be pantsed no more!!!

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax

Nessus posted:

I think I read that exact thing online like 10 years ago. I remember being weirded out that his phrasing was "powerful people" in general but then all his examples were "LIKE IN THE GOVERNMENT WINK WINK" and conspicuously avoided mentioning any other form of influential organization. It always amazes me people think these systems will work and keep working, even in just the banal, technical sense. One of these assassins is going to forget his drat phone in a cab because he took it out to hear "Starships" again and give the game away.

There's other, quasi-related stuff like futarchy which I think I found by following a link from it and if I understand it correctly is a kind of wackadoodle sci fi direct democracy that involves a market where everyone bets on the likelihood of future events and on policies to address them (and anyone can propose a new one) that then get adopted by their viral popularity as people switch their bets, which is so loving bananas it's not without charm to my inner stoned freshman. I tried reading this long essay where the guy tried to explain how rich people wouldn't just exploit it but my eyes glazed over because I didn't care.

Frogisis has a new favorite as of 05:26 on Jun 5, 2016

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Did you ever see that weird letter I guess someone sent to Lowtax about how bitcoin would lead to a future where anonymous crowdfunded exploding drones would descend from the sky on anyone who slighted anyone else ever and mankind would have to permanently stay indoors and lead the ideal nerd lifestyle and only go out rarely while wearing scramble suits, because that's my favorite version of this dumb idea.

The most convenient of apocalypses, with running water and internet.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Frogisis posted:

I think I read that exact thing online like 10 years ago. I remember being weirded out that his phrasing was "powerful people" in general but then all his examples were "LIKE IN THE GOVERNMENT WINK WINK" and conspicuously avoided mentioning any other form of influential organization. It always amazes me people think these systems will work and keep working, even in just the banal, technical sense. One of these assassins is going to forget his drat phone in a cab because he took it out to hear "Starships" again and give the game away.

There's other, quasi-related stuff like futarchy which I think I found by following a link from it and if I understand it correctly is a kind of wackadoodle sci fi direct democracy that involves a market where everyone bets on the likelihood of future events and on policies to address them (and anyone can propose a new one) that then get adopted by their viral popularity as people switch their bets, which is so loving bananas it's not without charm to my inner stoned freshman. I tried reading this long essay where the guy tried to explain how rich people wouldn't just exploit it but my eyes glazed over because I didn't care.

Is a futarchy a society ruled by hermaphroditic anime babes or something

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It's probably worse.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I do remember that.

As for futarchy, the version where anime girls with penises rule everyone with an iron... something seems more realistic than a betting-market based system ever working out.

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax
I'm casting back to like 2006 here but imagine if the proto-Bitcoin people tried to turn all that derivitive betting and poo poo into the government, I guess? It was like Timecube in that it was kind of fascinatingly crazy but not enough to stick, obviously.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Jack Gladney posted:

That's the best part of the whole saga, Ross didn't actually hire a hitman. He was scammed by somebody pretending to be one, and IIRC it was the very guy he wanted bumped off using an alternate account on Silk Road.

This wasn't exactly helpful at the sentencing phase of the trial, of course, because he thought was hiring somebody to commit a murder and that didn't really go well with the "virtuous (and not black) young man with good intentions" portrait the defense was trying to use.

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

Bullies are being mean to a nerd and we, the nerd underdogs of society who make more than everyone else for some reason must stand up to the bullies and say we shall be pantsed no more!!!

I'm pretty sure that's the psychological reason. He identifies with racist scum, because he and the scum are both nerds. He privileges his in group and doesn't care about how his in group harms other people. And, in a hilarious parody of identity politics, he also believes that his group is persecuted and that attacks against his imagined identity must be forcibly responded to. But, I am curious how he is transforming that psychological narrative into a supposedly reasoned argument that is congruent with his other stated beliefs. Like, him saying "we should support free speech, event if it is speech I dislike" and "thought police are bad" works perfectly both with his psychology and his other stated beliefs. But extending that to "and we should donate money to this ineffective charity" sounds, on the face of it, odd. At least with MIRI he could Pascal Wager his way out of it. I'm not sure how he can here without being a hypocrite.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Look let's just live under the all powerful SHODAN/GlaDOS/AI god and be done with it

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

No Recette you're supposed to be the cute cutthroat shop owner, don't mingle with hateful people like this.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Annointed posted:

Look let's just live under the all powerful SHODAN/GlaDOS/AM god and be done with it

I fixed this for you.

hate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Reflections85 posted:

To him effective altruism is synonymous with MIRI because the Robot Devil might torture every atom in the observable universe and then create 2^16 simulations where each atom is tortured 2^16 times per simulation. If that is possible than the expected value of MIRI approaches infinity.