Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.

Sekenr posted:

is Sothis/Ceos OK with Asp right now or should I bring Python?

While you have to be more picky choosing missions due to cargo space, the Asp is my all round favorite. It has great jump range and good speed (Ceos/Sothis cargo missions are usually 350+ Ly). If I'm interdicted I often just submit, boost away and then jump again. This can be quicker than playing the interdiction mini-game. There's a lot of mis-information about scanning out there too. If you get interdicted and a scan starts, just boost away. The Asp is fast enough to avoid the scan ever being completed. All that stuff about shooting the NPC or dropping chaff is a waste of time (imho). Also I don't use a fuel scoop, just extra fuel tanks to ensure I can make the journey without any pauses for scooping. I based my setup on this: http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/03A5A5A4D4A5D5C------00---05f5f30240012f.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==?bn=Trader%20Asp

King of Cheeses fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Knifegrab posted:

How does everyone with a hotas/rudder pedals handle control on the srv? I bound my stick's left/right to steer left/right and roll left/right when in the air. I bound my rudder pedals to control the yaw of the turret and my stick's up/down controls the pitch of the turret as well as the pitch of the srv when in the air.

It works ok but it doesn't feel great.

I use the rotary silder on top of the throttle to do steering, throttle for speed and joystick for pitch and roll. Ministick for aiming turret. Having roll on joystick while also steering ended up in one train car wreck too many.

I'm going to bind it to my logitech wheel one day :v:

King of Cheeses posted:

If you get interdicted and a scan starts, just boost away.

This is the correct course of action, unless you're in something terribly slow.

Truga fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 4, 2016

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

TheresaJayne posted:

I absolutely love the in ship entertainment, Simon on the left side of the console

I was scanning the Elite screenshots before thinking to click on Toop's video. :(

Toops, I have a question - do the procedural birds work yet?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I just reset my save, I'd forgotten how much fun the game is when you're just starting out and barely scraping by.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Did I get this correctly? There is no engineer upgrade to fuel tank capacity or decrease fuel consumtion by FSD? Asking because my priority 1 was to make my FDL and clipper not refuel every 2 jumps.

King of Cheeses posted:

While you have to be more picky choosing missions due to cargo space, the Asp is my all round favorite. It has great jump range and good speed (Ceos/Sothis cargo missions are usually 350+ Ly). If I'm interdicted I often just submit, boost away and then jump again. This can be quicker than playing the interdiction mini-game. There's a lot of mis-information about scanning out there too. If you get interdicted and a scan starts, just boost away. The Asp is fast enough to avoid the scan ever being completed. All that stuff about shooting the NPC or dropping chaff is a waste of time (imho). Also I don't use a fuel scoop, just extra fuel tanks to ensure I can make the journey without any pauses for scooping. I based my setup on this: http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/03A5A5A4D4A5D5C------00---05f5f30240012f.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==?bn=Trader%20Asp

Um, I meant the missions to get stuff from Sothis to Ceos. They are pretty close to each other.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 4, 2016

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Sekenr posted:

Did I get this correctly? There is no engineer upgrade to fuel tank capacity or decrease fuel consumtion by FSD? Asking because my priority 1 was to make my FDL and clipper not refuel every 2 jumps.
There's no engineer upgrade specifically targeting FSD fuel use, but engineer FSD upgrades can have secondary effects that impact fuel use (in addition to the fact that improving FSD range improves fuel efficiency just by simple virtue of jumping farther for the same fuel use). It's not anything that's going to make a massive difference on a FdL or clipper, though, as it's just a few percentage points at most.

You can already increase fuel capacity by just buying fuel tanks that slot into your internal slots, so presumably that's already considered handled. This does require sacrificing one or more slots that might otherwise be dedicated to another purpose like more armor or a SCB, even if only temporarily. If I feel like taking my FdL a long distance I usually just fit a large-ish scoop and keep an eye on my route to make sure I don't find myself in a patch of brown dwarfs at an inconvenient moment.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Bargearse posted:

I just reset my save, I'd forgotten how much fun the game is when you're just starting out and barely scraping by.

Better get to Robigo mate you can make 3mil per hour!

(I just restarted too and it rocks)

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Strategic Tea posted:

Better get to Robigo mate you can make 3mil per hour!

(I just restarted too and it rocks)

Yeah, the early game is where the "Han Solo simulator" aspects of the game really shine.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
So I managed to pick up a fine on a planet while doing some engineering stuff, accidentally fired my turret in a no-fire zone. Now I have a fine that is showing as the name of the engineer, not the base, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to pay it, not at that base or any of the stations in system. Is this just bugged, and I'm boned and going to pick up a bounty?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you don't have a bounty somewhere you're either the most cautious person ever or not really playing Elite. Just ignore it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

DancingShade posted:

If you don't have a bounty somewhere you're either the most cautious person ever or not really playing Elite. Just ignore it.

Or you were just killed for your bounties.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

So I managed to pick up a fine on a planet while doing some engineering stuff, accidentally fired my turret in a no-fire zone. Now I have a fine that is showing as the name of the engineer, not the base, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to pay it, not at that base or any of the stations in system. Is this just bugged, and I'm boned and going to pick up a bounty?

It's under Contacts, give it a few seconds to load and show up. But really it doesn't matter. The engineer counts as kind of a mini-faction that controls only the area around their base.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Got a mission to deliver beer to a planet base but when I arrived there was no mission board, how do I turn it in?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Knifegrab posted:

Got a mission to deliver beer to a planet base but when I arrived there was no mission board, how do I turn it in?

That mission is bugged, just abandon it and do something else. FDev is working on it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

TomR posted:

That mission is bugged, just abandon it and do something else. FDev is working on it.

Are all missions of this type bugged? Thanks for the info btw

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
No, just some missions spawn with destinations without mission boards so you won't be able to turn them in. If you get one just move on for now.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

TomR posted:

No, just some missions spawn with destinations without mission boards so you won't be able to turn them in. If you get one just move on for now.

It's not a bug, it's an accurate simulation of poor administration of logistics.
You should fill out one of those "How did we do?" service cards with the faction who gave you the mission; otherwise the poor underpaid intern will keep sending people to the wrong place.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The AI is still loving OP.

I'm in a not too shoddily fitted mining Asp and got a "your mission is getting sabotaged"... and yeah, trying to jump to a different system etc to get away from this loving DBS interdicting me every 5 seconds is getting tiring.

gently caress this.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Plus they still are armed with stuff that does impact and internal heat damage.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

WebDog posted:

Plus they still are armed with stuff that does impact and internal heat damage.

Railguns and Plasma always did that but there was no indicator for it before.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Ahh right I was wondering what the hell was going on.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wibla posted:

The AI is still loving OP.

I'm in a not too shoddily fitted mining Asp and got a "your mission is getting sabotaged"... and yeah, trying to jump to a different system etc to get away from this loving DBS interdicting me every 5 seconds is getting tiring.

gently caress this.

Yeah the interdictions are really bad. Even having no cargo or only limpets loaded still gets you the "There's the one with the big haul!" messages. And then they open fire without scanning you. Even if you low wake out they'll keep following you. I dropped in the middle of nowhere in the Delkar ring for mining and as soon as I was in position an FDL showed up and was immediately hostile. Then a cutter appeared out of nowhere and scanned me while I was dodging the FDL and correctly did the "No cargo?! What a waste" routine. When the cops eventually showed up they engaged the cutter and ignored the FDL.

All this would be less annoying if everything wasn't so loving time consuming in this game. High waking away from Delkar 7 and flying back burns over 5 minutes. And odds are you'll get interdicted again on your way back.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, I jumped to another system and got interdicted within 10 seconds...

loving useless.

Got 1.5+ mil worth of ore in the hold, so I nuked the process and gonna log on after the mission expires.

If that doesn't work, I'm filing a loving support ticket and leaving this game until they've unfucked this crap.

Might as well sell my Rift too at that point, as this game is pretty much the only use I have for it :v:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Space Skeleton posted:

Railguns and Plasma always did that but there was no indicator for it before.

:frontear:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
FWIW Frontier has acknowledged the issues with NPCs being too aggressive and is looking into rebalancing it. There's also something weird going on where pirates seem to almost exclusively spawn at Dangerous rank and above. So not only is it a lot harder to do stuff without being harassed by psychotic NPCs, but they're also usually going to be the chaff/SCB spamming + crazy FA-off maneuvering variety too.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

timn posted:

FWIW Frontier has acknowledged the issues with NPCs being too aggressive and is looking into rebalancing it. There's also something weird going on where pirates seem to almost exclusively spawn at Dangerous rank and above. So not only is it a lot harder to do stuff without being harassed by psychotic NPCs, but they're also usually going to be the chaff/SCB spamming + crazy FA-off maneuvering variety too.

I assumed that I was only seeing high rank pirates because I was mid-high combat rank. If they're just not spawning at lower combat ranks, that would explain a lot of the problems people are having - especially because, in my experience, bounty payouts don't seem to take the target's combat rank into effect. Back when pirates actually showed up with bad combat ratings, you were as likely to see an elite eagle worth 4000 credits as a harmless one worth 20k.

Maybe the much-vaunted AI improvements were simply removing lower combat ranks from the spawn pool.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I was spending a while in hi-res last week and saw the occasional expert NPC which seemed to be giving consistently lower payouts, so I think that's working ok actually. And while I do agree that top-ranked NPCs could still put up a decent fight before (chaff spamming for example is not actually a brand new behavior), there have definitely been major improvements in 2.1 aside from the spawn rate seemingly being tilted towards the top end.

Whether or not that apparent tilt is based on player rank is a good question. I haven't seen anywhere that Frontier has alluded to that. It would actually be good for players who are looking for tough fights to increase combat rank and get better bounties, but then really lovely if you're switching gears and doing something in any kind of non-combat ship.

EDIT: To prove a point, I was just moving my Corvette across the bubble to get some FSD upgrades. Of four pirates that spawned and interdicted me along the way, two were Elite FDLs and the other two were Elite Anacondas.

timn fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 5, 2016

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist

hobbesmaster posted:

There is however a major problem with the AI indiscriminately attacking people for no reason at the moment. This could be a problem with the AI checks for aggressive behavior or some sort of standings/bounty/pp check error.

I'm really new to the game, and already starting to get pretty disillusioned by this. I've been receiving interdiction attempts pretty much since I started flying the tin can Sidewinder. Earlier today, I was flying back empty, an interdiction succeeded, and I was jumped by three pirates. Now I'm pretty awful at combat, fail to get away, and about two minutes later I'm contemplating the insurance payment.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I finally got time to put in my first prolonged play session since 2.1 + first wave of fixes went out and…

:gizz: Bookmarks.

I couldn't care less about NPCs spamming interdictions because I'm pretty good at avoiding those (and if it's really critical, you can just skip them). I don't particularly care about the item grind because, meh, it'll come naturally with time (at least for the upgrades I'm interested in). I was lucky enough to miss the OP NPCs for the most part, and my standard HazRes seems to be about the way I left it.

And any niggles are completely overshadowed by the simple, obvious, and glorious multiple QoL upgrades that bookmarks provide. Maybe it's just CCP who has turned me submissive/masochistic as far as QoL goes and I'm easily pleased, but why is it that so many devs have such a hard time figuring out that if the game is easy to play — something drastically different from easy to complete — enjoyment just shoots through the roof? It's not just FDev and their old-school-gaming cohort that confuse obtuse and obstructive UI and controls with actual complexity and in-game opposition, so where on earth did all of them get that idea?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've got to admit for all the annoying "why can't I find any material X for engineers?" the bookmarks and radio chatter really make me smile.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ive gone from a simple comodity trader during the start of the game, to an almost exclusive imperial slaver, to a robigo illegal runner to a bounty hunter and now I'm making my millions transporting high quality poo poo (literal poo poo) from sothis to wherever it is needed.

You see the denizens of sothis are going through a boom period so all they do is eat eat eat and produce hundreds of tons of poo poo, and such is its quality that its in very high demand in the federation.

Seriously this is robigo levels of cash and I've gotten interdicted just once while ferrying it. There are two full sized stations too, so you can come in in an anaconda or a type 9 if your positively mad.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
I'm not entirely up to speed on things, been busy, but as far as I can tell from trade stuff(which is probably outdated) biowaste in Sothis is selling for like lets say 10 credits and sells for at best like 137?
Even with a large cargohold, that doesn't seem like a lot, am I missing something?
Also Sothis is waaaaay the hell out there it seems.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Eryxias posted:

I'm not entirely up to speed on things, been busy, but as far as I can tell from trade stuff(which is probably outdated) biowaste in Sothis is selling for like lets say 10 credits and sells for at best like 137?
Even with a large cargohold, that doesn't seem like a lot, am I missing something?
Also Sothis is waaaaay the hell out there it seems.

No, its just that all the non contraband missions in sothis are to transport biowaste to somewhere. They all pay like 2-6 million and you can take like 15 missions if you have the space for it. Robigo might have generated more money per mission, but you had to deal with near constant interdictions and the probability of being scanned. Even in an python, which makes the trips longer, it still feels like it takes less because I dont have to deal with interdictions.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

No, its just that all the non contraband missions in sothis are to transport biowaste to somewhere. They all pay like 2-6 million and you can take like 15 missions if you have the space for it. Robigo might have generated more money per mission, but you had to deal with near constant interdictions and the probability of being scanned. Even in an python, which makes the trips longer, it still feels like it takes less because I dont have to deal with interdictions.

Wait. Are you saying that with a cargo hold full of (literal) poo poo, you don't get the “there's big haul I heard about” interdictions? Who are these people and what have they done to FDev?! :aaa:

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
aaaahh missions
Excellent, thanks for clearing that up for my dumb self :bang:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tippis posted:

Wait. Are you saying that with a cargo hold full of (literal) poo poo, you don't get the “there's big haul I heard about” interdictions? Who are these people and what have they done to FDev?! :aaa:

Like I said Ive been interdicted once in my time hauling poo poo and I'm almost certain it was caused by turning in one of the group of missions and not jettisoning the reward item they gave me.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

nene posted:

I'm really new to the game, and already starting to get pretty disillusioned by this. I've been receiving interdiction attempts pretty much since I started flying the tin can Sidewinder. Earlier today, I was flying back empty, an interdiction succeeded, and I was jumped by three pirates. Now I'm pretty awful at combat, fail to get away, and about two minutes later I'm contemplating the insurance payment.
Frontier has a thread open about it, so hopefully they do something about it.
An interesting (if really aggravating) one is when multiple cops in a wing scan you and all but one find you clean; then the one finds "something" and they all turn hostile. :frontear:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I love how a thread started by the QA team has a typo in the title.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Anyone having server issues right now? First it started by not being able to get any missions in the bulletin board. Now I'm straight up getting errors saying "...cannot connect to transaction server".

My internet connection works just fine and the Elite Dangerous launcher claims the servers are OK. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Yes, a bunch of us are having problems.

• Locked thread