Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

In light of the new movie, I wanted to ask just a general opinion question. When you think of the X-Men, who's on the team?

Giant Size X-Men #1 lineup definitely, give or take Thunderbird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Basically the Giant-Size #1 team except with Jean and Rogue instead of Banshee and Thunderbird.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

KittyEmpress posted:

Scott, Jean, Kitty, Kurt, Logan, Ororo, Rogue, and Hank.

This plus Colossus and Gambit. In two teams.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Inkspot posted:

This plus Colossus and Gambit. In two teams.

Gold and Blue teams all the way, with Wolverine somehow on both at the same time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm probably a combo of the cartoon line-up and Whedon's run. So, like, Cyclops, Emma, Beast, Storm, Rogue, Gambit, Colossus, Wolverine and Kitty.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Original five + Storm, Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Shadowcat, and Rogue.

I doubt think having an "iconic X-Men team" is true to the spirit of the franchise but that's who my mind goes to.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Alright, I have to ask, in that famous Ali vs. Superman issue, who, if anybody, actually wins the boxing match?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ali kicks Superman's rear end.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

In light of the new movie, I wanted to ask just a general opinion question. When you think of the X-Men, who's on the team?

Nightcrawler, Storm, Cyclops, Wolverine, Beast, Rogue, Angel, and in my heart, Jubilee.

This is a cool question. There have been so many iconic X-men teams that people are bound to have different ideas of what they are and cross-pollinate with some of their own favourite members who weren't on a given iconic team.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
As someone who doesn't actually read xmen, I always come up with a combo of 90s cartoon xmen and the arcade game, so like the cartoon team plus colossus and nightcrawler I guess.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

qntm posted:

Alright, I have to ask, in that famous Ali vs. Superman issue, who, if anybody, actually wins the boxing match?

Superman takes a dive, if I remember correctly. Or it was like...a clone or impersonation thing? Either way, Ali wins, but it's not 'clean'.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, it's clean. The fight's on another planet with a red sun so no powers, but Ali knocks his rear end out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We sold our incredibly high grade copy of that book 11 days ago for a very fair price so of course I expect it to sky rocket in value now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

As someone who doesn't actually read xmen, I always come up with a combo of 90s cartoon xmen and the arcade game, so like the cartoon team plus colossus and nightcrawler I guess.

No Dazzler? And does Wolverine sound Australian?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My perfect X-team has 13 members, perfect for splitting up into Blue and Gold teams.

Cyclops
Jean
Wolverine
Beast
Rogue
Gambit
Kitty
Storm
(Arch)angel
Iceman
Colossus
Nightcrawler
Psylocke

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Cyclops, Storm, Wolverine, Jean, Beast, Nightcrawler, Jubilee

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I thought of X-Men, and this is the stream of consciousness that came out. Wolverine (X-Men arcade, tan costume), nineties Cyclops (Jean!), nineties Jean (Scott!), Nightcrawler, Archangel, Colossus. Juggernaut is a cool villain. Magneto and Sentinels are pretty great too. Iceman (Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends), Beast, and then I started thinking about the Wolverine book with Patch and Mr Fixit in their tuxedos on the cover.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You are all crazy for including Beast.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I feel the same way but about Jean.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

You are all crazy for including Beast.

what

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He is a bad character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Beast only became a bad character after House of M. Prior to that he was just a goofy blue dude who was really smart and wanted to enjoy life.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

He is a bad character.

He is awesome when paired up with Wonder Man

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beast is a good character when they're not stupidly trying to shoehorn him into boring morally-ambiguous plotlines.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The problem is they weren't ambiguous they were usually him being a dick.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

No, it's clean. The fight's on another planet with a red sun so no powers, but Ali knocks his rear end out.

Ali also works out his secret identity.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SonicRulez posted:

The Animated Series cast, except Beast and Colossus are permanent members, and Jean is dead.

And Xavier is in charge, not stupid Cyclops.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

The Animated Series cast, except Beast and Colossus are permanent members, and Jean is dead.

And Xavier is in charge, not stupid Cyclops.

Beast was a permanent member, he had a spot in the theme song. He just spent like the entire series in jail.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Beast is arrested in episode one of the first season, goes to trial partway through (but it's disrupted by the Friends of Humanity), then receives a pardon in the season finale. However, there's definitely far fewer episodes where he's the main character, and those he does have aren't terribly memorable. There's the one where he cures blindness to help his blind girlfriend (who I'm fairly sure never appears again after that), but that's about it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The lack of Iceman intrigues me. I'd say Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, JEEEEEEEEEEEEEAN, Kitty, Colossus, Beast, Rogue, Iceman, and Nightcrawler. Juggernaut and Magneto are both heels. Xavier is not doing any Ambiguous Moral Choice (TM) storylines. Jean's not doing Phoenix poo poo either.

Android Blues posted:

Nightcrawler, Storm, Cyclops, Wolverine, Beast, Rogue, Angel, and in my heart, Jubilee.

This is a cool question. There have been so many iconic X-men teams that people are bound to have different ideas of what they are and cross-pollinate with some of their own favourite members who weren't on a given iconic team.

I was really curious about seeing if age played into it. Like if you were into the 90's cartoon it makes sense that you'd have Gambit and not bother with Angel. Or if you started with Giant Size, you'd have Colossus and prolly still not give a poo poo about Angel. I'm also always curious about which relatively new characters have any traction. I wanted to see if any X-Men created in the 2000's have any fans. Like maybe some wildcard would throw out X-23.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I like X-23 but I think she works better off the main X-Men team.

I wouldn't put Iceman or Angel on the team and I could live without Beast. The original 5 are kind of boring tbh.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
My introduction was through a strange amalgam of the 90's cartoon osmosis (never watched it, but pop culture soaked in) and pogs, so I always thought of the team as Professor X, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Wolverine, Jubilee, Storm, Beast, Rogue, and Gambit, with special appearances by Bishop, Cable, and Archangel. They were all opposed by Magneto and his buddies, the Sentinels. No idea how I settled on all them, but there you go.

Weirder still, at a book fair in about the 4th grade I picked up the novelization of Giant Size X-Men #1, so I was cool adding guys like Banshee, Colossus, and Nightcrawler to the mix (appropriately enough I immediately forgot about Thunderbird and Sunfire), but was baffled by who the gently caress these Havok and Polaris characters were or why I should care. More than 2 decades later I'm still trying to sort out what is real versus what my sugar fueled imagination cooked up.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My perception of X-Men seems to stem from the old toyline before the cartoon. tan costume Wolverine, Nightcrawler with the suction cups, missile firing Archangel, and Colossus with exciting barbell lifting action. I was Wolverine that year (1991) for Halloween. The costume was pretty much just a hard plastic mask, and a hard plastic glove that you could slide the claws out. Google shows that there was a yellow and blue repaint.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SonicRulez posted:

I'm also always curious about which relatively new characters have any traction. I wanted to see if any X-Men created in the 2000's have any fans. Like maybe some wildcard would throw out X-23.

Chris Claremont is a factor here, certainly, though not for his qualities as a writer so much as the fact that he was the X-Men writer for so long that he was able to introduce loads of characters and, crucially, give them quite a lot of development. Conversely, I think that from 2000 or so on, there's just too many books with too many writers who don't stay on long enough to really establish a character, and every writer wants to push their character (who's almost always "the next Wolverine" or "the next Kitty Pryde"), but their successors don't share their interest. For example, in Astonishing X-Men, Whedon was clearly very keen to push Armor as the 21st century's Kitty Pryde, but nobody else who wrote X-Men after him was and the character fell into abeyance.

I feel as though X-23 has managed to be at least a bit of an exception because she was introduced in the Evolution cartoon and brought across to the comics, so she had pre-existing characteristics which writers could explore, rather than being any particular creator's pet.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

When I think of X-men as an iconic brand, I mostly think of the '92 cartoon line-up, with more Archangel and Emma Frost, but less Gambit and Jubilee. When I think of X-men as a comic that I care at all to read, I think of the Morrison run and the line-up from that. If I were given leave to write any X-men line-up I wanted for at least 24 issues for Marvel, I'd probably steal an idea from one of my old posts and do Fantomex teaching a stylish crime-class to a medium-sized group of young X-folks, with Cyclops as the stern, disapproving dean whose dictates they have to work against.

Also, the Iconic Brand villains are Magneto, Juggernaut, Sentinels, Apocalypse, and Mr. Sinister. The Iconic Brand stories are Dark Phoenix Saga and either Age of Apocalypse or Days of Future Past with added AoA flavoring. Cable eventually appears, but isn't long-term main cast. At some point, an Iconic Brand X-men thing has to involve Wolverine confronting his Weapon X past somehow.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like the term "Iconic Brand" - similarly, just about every writer who takes on the Fantastic Four seems like they want to:

1) Write a definitive Doom story
2) Write a definitive Galactus story
3) Write a story where a substitute member joins the team
4) Write a story where Ben becomes human
5) Write a story where Johnny finally grows up (again)

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
In a couple pages I'mma do this with The Avengers.

Squizzle posted:

Also, the Iconic Brand villains are Magneto, Juggernaut, Sentinels, Apocalypse, and Mr. Sinister. The Iconic Brand stories are Dark Phoenix Saga and either Age of Apocalypse or Days of Future Past with added AoA flavoring. Cable eventually appears, but isn't long-term main cast. At some point, an Iconic Brand X-men thing has to involve Wolverine confronting his Weapon X past somehow.

Magneto includes the whole Brotherhood, right? Cause Mystique just got robbed. I'd also add Sabretooth to that list.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like the term "Iconic Brand" - similarly, just about every writer who takes on the Fantastic Four seems like they want to:

It's like how every Aquaman writer MUST tell the story that makes him awesome and badass and he does NOT talk to fish.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SonicRulez posted:

It's like how every Aquaman writer MUST tell the story that makes him awesome and badass and he does NOT talk to fish.

Yes, or how every writer wants to be the guy who finally fixes Hank Pym.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The best thing to do is check this list against John Byrne's entries and laugh at how hilariously bad his run has aged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Byrne Thing that always gets me is how many times he tried to capture that Dark Phoenix lightning in a bottle. In both his West Coast Avengers and Fantastic Four, a powerful lady character goes out of control and needs a stern talking-to from her teammates before her gyrating uterus destroys the fabric of reality or w/e. That's Wanda's demonic toaster-babies in WCA, and Malice in FF.

John Byrne, he's bad.