Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

YF-23 posted:

Look for interesting stuff to do past the midgame.

Which Paradox game are we talking about here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
I'm actually curious as to what I was supposed to be so outraged about in those timelapse videos. Watching streams and stuff today there's definitely parts of the game that need work. Or not. I'm really not sure if the AI throwing millions of soldiers into an obviously unwinnable meatgrinder situation is a feature or a bug given the setting. But lots of streams had the AI taking ten times the losses as the player because they would never stop throwing endless streams of troops to die in the mountains.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Yeah, it seemed a little goofy or confusing at times, but nothing really particularly atrocious was visible, I wouldn't say.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
If anything the second video showed that they really have done great work with naval invasion AI. I can't imagine the AI in DH or HOI3 ever doing a naval invasion of crimea and supporting it well enough to win Russia from an already victorious Germany. :shrug:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Bad news for me, really. I haaate dealing with naval invasions.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

If anything the second video showed that they really have done great work with naval invasion AI. I can't imagine the AI in DH or HOI3 ever doing a naval invasion of crimea and supporting it well enough to win Russia from an already victorious Germany. :shrug:

I can't imagine the AI in HOI3 ever doing a naval invasion

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Yeah as someone who's played HOI since HOI2 that looked pretty good. A little odd place for a naval invasion, but it worked. Most surprising things to me were Greece eating up Turkey and Blitzkreig Sweden. Expanding Poland was probably US forces pushing along that front. If you attack with your forces from allied territory, it's your ally that takes the new territory, not you. Doesn't matter in the end once everyone sits down at the peace table.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Cantorsdust posted:

Yeah as someone who's played HOI since HOI2 that looked pretty good. A little odd place for a naval invasion, but it worked. Most surprising things to me were Greece eating up Turkey and Blitzkreig Sweden. Expanding Poland was probably US forces pushing along that front. If you attack with your forces from allied territory, it's your ally that takes the new territory, not you. Doesn't matter in the end once everyone sits down at the peace table.

I could see it being a good place to invade a victorious Germany. Normandy would a be a shitshow, and invading an unforified coast in territory that isn't likely to be thrilled about their German overlords makes a bizarre amount of sense.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
You'd be better off invading Italy straight up, then, as opposed to crossing the whole Mediterranean just to backdoor Russia.

Still, I'm glad Paradox has learned the unfortunate truth; we're actually no better then reddit anymore. Good job.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

To be honest while that video maybe shows the AI isn't too smart it doesn't mean the game won't be fun. I'm excited for it and I have a preorder and everything

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I received an anonymous gift via steam after I spoke well of HOI4 :tinfoil:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

was the gift HOI4?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Stairmaster posted:

was the gift HOI4?

HOI3, and it doesn't even include the unit packs!

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Still, I'm glad Paradox has learned the unfortunate truth; we're actually no better then reddit anymore. Good job.

lmao

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Jobbo_Fett posted:

HOI3, and it doesn't even include the unit packs!

Someone really doesn't like you speaking well of HoI4. :tinfoil:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Someone really doesn't like you speaking well of HoI4. :tinfoil:

I think they are trying to convince me that the AI in HOI3 is better.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I think they are trying to convince me that the AI in HOI3 is better.

I guarantee they are not

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

corn in the bible posted:

I guarantee they are not

Well, joke's on them anyways! I already own it and HOI4!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

look out james bond! here comes duncan jax!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

look out james bond! here comes duncan jax!

I had to look this up; I know what I'm watching tomorrow!

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
At least they didn't send you bad rats.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Westminster System posted:

At least they didn't send you bad rats.

Own that too!

I need a copy of Ride to Hell: Retribution though.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

The HOI3 AI loved doing naval invasions, sometimes failing to do the same one over and over again, repeatedly.

Here's Japan attempting to take Guam on horseback:

They also loved trying to take that one Aleutian island they could reach and would generally just sail around the Pacific landing where they could. The UK AI also loved trying to execute Operation Zeppelin, which would end the war when the German AI overreacted and sent everyone they could down to Greece, allowing the USSR to race across Europe unopposed. I also saw the Germans invade Maine once, though I don't know how they managed it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Dump some divisions into Sicily, watch as the Germans and Italians throw hundreds of thousands of casualties your way trying to attack across the straight.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Dump some divisions into Sicily, watch as the Germans and Italians throw hundreds of thousands of casualties your way trying to attack across the straight.

Isn't one of the issues that people are noticing with the HOI4 AI is that it does not seem to consider invasions of neighboring allied countries to be a priority? So in that scenario, the German AI wouldn't prioritize sending any troops down to Italy at all?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Drone posted:

Isn't one of the issues that people are noticing with the HOI4 AI is that it does not seem to consider invasions of neighboring allied countries to be a priority? So in that scenario, the German AI wouldn't prioritize sending any troops down to Italy at all?

Not sure, I haven't watched a lot besides most of the WWW stuff. HOI3s answer was "Send units no matter what, gotta protect the front!". I can only hope that the AI won't abandon its allies if it can help and won't foolishly waste manpower if the odds of winning a fight are <5% (which also happens in HOI3 when the AI is overaggressive. Makes it easy to counterattack)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The HOI3 AI loved doing naval invasions, sometimes failing to do the same one over and over again, repeatedly.

Here's Japan attempting to take Guam on horseback:

They also loved trying to take that one Aleutian island they could reach and would generally just sail around the Pacific landing where they could. The UK AI also loved trying to execute Operation Zeppelin, which would end the war when the German AI overreacted and sent everyone they could down to Greece, allowing the USSR to race across Europe unopposed. I also saw the Germans invade Maine once, though I don't know how they managed it.

This has nothing to do with HoI 3's AI, but it's still my favorite screenshot of it:

HoI 3 is an incredibly flawed game I had basically no fun trying to learn how to play and getting destroyed constantly, but I do appreciate that they remembered to include the horse-human hyrbrid soldiers Hungary was experimenting with in the 1930s.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I never played a Paradox game before, besides Stellaris, and from seeing different people play HoI4 I have to say I am supet excited for it.

Why are people mad?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Michaellaneous posted:

I never played a Paradox game before, besides Stellaris, and from seeing different people play HoI4 I have to say I am supet excited for it.

Why are people mad?

I have some concerns that smaller countries don't build armies (see El Salvador and Bhutan streams), peace conferences can be wonky (see Estonia puppeting Afghanistan), the AI isn't great at warfare (see France abandoning the Maginot line and countries driving isolated units dozens of provinces past the frontline until eventually cut off and destroyed)...

We'll see though

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Have we all forgotten the good old days of HOI3 release when AI Mexico successfully invaded Germany?

I'm still pumped for HOI4, despite feeling that Stellaris was a pretty weak offering.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Michaellaneous posted:

Why are people mad?

Paradox games have a reputation for buggy releases. Every time, Paradox fans think it's going to be better, and when the releases still come out buggy, they get themselves all worked up over their dreams being smashed, etc.

Paradox games also have a reputation for being iterated upon and turning from mediocre launch games into fantastic games around 6 months to a year later.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Drone posted:

Paradox games also have a reputation for being iterated upon and turning from mediocre launch games into fantastic games around 6 months to a year later.

Maybe the only people playing the games 6 months to a year later are the ones who thought it was fantastic from the start

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Drone posted:

Paradox games have a reputation for buggy releases. Every time, Paradox fans think it's going to be better, and when the releases still come out buggy, they get themselves all worked up over their dreams being smashed, etc.

CK2 and EU4 genuinely were better. There seems to be some bizarre revisionism going on at the minute where they were as bad as CK1 or EU3 on release. And, well, hahaha I remember the EU3 release you fucks. Hell, Vae Victus and Deus Vult still have more and more serious bugs than CK2 has ever had.

To be honest, Stellaris isn't that bad for bugs. There were/are a couple of pretty serious ones that impacted play experience (passive AI, sectors ignoring development restrictions), but the real problems with Stellaris have nothing to do with bugs and everything to do with the fundamental design of the game.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The fundamental design of the game is fine, it's just that it came out half-baked and there's a bunch of poo poo missing.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I really need my sector governor to start scheming and have take half the fleet with him in a bid of independence though.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

Drone posted:

The fundamental design of the game is fine, it's just that it came out half-baked and there's a bunch of poo poo missing.

If it's half-baked and there's a bunch of poo poo missing that means the fundamental design is not fine dude

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The fact that the emancipation faction (slaves) are doing exactly nothing is a very clear indicator that they released the game unfinished to meet a deadline.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Viral Warfare posted:

If it's half-baked and there's a bunch of poo poo missing that means the fundamental design is not fine dude

I don't think you understand what fundamental design means.

If the fundamental design of a game is not fine, then no amount of polishing or adding features that were missing at launch will make it a good game. See: Hearts of Iron 3.

If the fundamental design of a game is fine, but polish or features are missing due to whatever factors (in Stellaris' case, a rushed production schedule), then adding the missing features will make it a good game. See: Victoria 2.

Drone fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Viral Warfare posted:

The thing with something being half baked is that you can just keep on baking it until it turns out fine.

Better to be half-baked than overdone.