Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Yeah, I've been thinking about that. It used to be only enemies ending their turn, but that was changed close to publication along with other similar powers like Hot Bomb because it was really easy for enemies to just take their whole turn and then get out of the zone with whatever remaining movement they had, making Hot Bomb pretty bad. But Area Denial is different because it only affects enemies, which definitely makes it way easier to use alongside a Defender or anyone who grabs enemies. It may indeed be too strong now.

Possible options for fixes:

- Make it only apply to enemies that end their turn there like it used to be.
- Make it apply to all creatures, not just enemies.
- Make it apply to enemies only, but not to enemies who are adjacent to an ally of yours (to represent you not being willing to shoot into the melee).

The first I think won't really fix the issue and is boring. The second or third seem like the way to go. Anyone want to try those out in their game and report back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

- Make it apply to enemies only, but not to enemies who are adjacent to an ally of yours (to represent you not being willing to shoot into the melee).

By this do you mean adjacent to an ally at the start of their turn? Or is giving enemies the choice of engaging in melee or leaving the AOE the intended effect? Either way, without playtesting it yet this option seems thematically appropriate and the most interesting of them there.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 5, 2016

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Maleketh posted:

Rules question: Can a Necromancer/Blaster apply his Mark of Death when dealing damage to a second creature with Multitarget Boost?

I don't mean to be rude, but I could really use an answer to this question. :shobon:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

The answer is yes. The Mark procs off of hitting and damaging an enemy, which you are doing when using Multitarget Boost to hit more dudes.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Maleketh posted:

I don't mean to be rude, but I could really use an answer to this question. :shobon:

Sorry, missed this one. You are asking about the case where you don't make an aoe, but roll well on your single-taget attack and get to apply extra damage to another enemy, right?

As written, you are not hitting that second enemy with the attack, just dealing it damage, so you do not apply mark of death.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I think "applies to all creatures" makes most sense for Area Denial.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

That might work mechanically, but thematically it's really stupid, in my opinion. Is the archer out of control, so he shoots his friends if they move? Hell, as a melee archer that means they could end up doing 3 damage to themselves for not moving out of their own Area Denial.

Maybe a better balancing factor would be they shoot the first target that moves? It does seem more powerful than other at-wills. Pin Down only affects the target you hit. It definitely seems like you should either make it the first target that does things in the area (maybe call it Flush Out, in this case, since you're only forcing one thing to move or get shot), or alternately lower the damage.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Zarick posted:

That might work mechanically, but thematically it's really stupid, in my opinion. Is the archer out of control, so he shoots his friends if they move? Hell, as a melee archer that means they could end up doing 3 damage to themselves for not moving out of their own Area Denial.

This is the way many other powers work. Are you suggesting we get rid of every "target: all creatures" power?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Gort posted:

This is the way many other powers work. Are you suggesting we get rid of every "target: all creatures" power?
Most other area powers are like lobbing a bomb into an area. There's no real way to be choosy about targets in the AoE.

It really depends on what the fiction is for Area Denial. Is it like a machine gun laying down suppressing fire? If so then it makes sense to hit all creatures. But that doesn't really mesh all that well with an "Archer". For someone with a bow it'd probably be more like you've drawn a bead and are watching an area ready to loose at anything that moves (that isn't like a "duck and run"). But you probably still have enough awareness not to shoot your friends.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

It kinda goes wrong fictionally for me when it's used in melee and therefore covers areas behind the archer, I guess.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Gort posted:

It kinda goes wrong fictionally for me when it's used in melee and therefore covers areas behind the archer, I guess.
That bit doesn't actually bother me personally in the "draw a bead" scenario. It could be some kind of gun-fu, where you're so aware of your immediate surroundings you can turn and fire instinctively. If you're shooting in melee you're probably adept at that kind of thing.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Just in case there was any doubt, I would like to report that a Brawler Rogue Controller is Fun Times. Just tumble around the battlefield throwing status effects at people.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
SO I had my first experience with Strike! today. DMing the pre-made adventure, we only got through the first encounter but none of us knew the rules (or how to use Roll20, really) so I probably should've expected that. I started everything off with a grand party on the Magnate's yacht, and all the PCs ended up socializing with people who were interested in them for various reasons. And then right at a turning point in each conversation the Summoner (with her Heightened Senses) noticed the mercenaries lurking beneath the water, getting ready to strike.

The merfolk, unfortunately, got screwed, largely because the leader rolled 1 for init and by that point everyone who could drag people into the water had tried, failed, and then died ignominiously. Anyway, because the PCs did so well, everyone survived to give them treasure or info.

Kinda feel like I didn't make them make enough skill checks, but either the opportunities never came up or, in lieu of trying to make nice with the high society folks, they just kept shoving hor d'oeuvres in their mouths. Who could blame em?

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I remember that Strike had optional rules for gridless tactical combat but they don't exist in the final version. Did they not work well at all?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Mitama posted:

I remember that Strike had optional rules for gridless tactical combat but they don't exist in the final version. Did they not work well at all?

There were too many edge cases and trouble spots and the thing kept growing and growing and in the end I decided not to put it in just because I couldn't really give it the "Seal of Quality" that I can give to other houserules that actually work correctly. Same thing happened for a diceless variant. Here's the full text as of when I cut it:

quote:

Ditch the Grid
This system allows you to draw the battlemap as a group of sectors, without breaking them down into individual squares. This is obviously going to be incompatible with the Take Cover rules, but if you’re using this variant then you are going for more abstraction than Take Cover allows.
The key idea is that squares of movement can now be spent on various actions. It takes 5 squares of movement to move from one sector to another. It takes 1 square to engage a creature in your sector in melee combat. (Engaged and adjacent are used here as synonyms except where characters with reach are concerned.) It takes 1 square of movement to disengage. Making any movement without shifting while engaged grants an Opportunity. Engagement and adjacency are transitive—that is to say that if A is engaged with B and B is adjacent to C, then A is engaged with C as well.
If you and an ally are engaged with the same enemy, it takes 1 square of movement to flank that enemy. If your ally is engaged with an enemy but you are not, it takes 3 squares of movement to move into flanking without granting an Opportunity, or 2 squares to flank if you are willing to grant an Opportunity.
It takes 1 square of movement to gain the benefit of cover if cover is available in your sector. For a ranged attacker, it takes 3 squares of movement to get to a shooting position allowing you to ignore cover against an enemy in your sector.
Forced Movement works similarly. 1 square of Forced Movement can force an enemy out of cover. 1 square of pulling or sliding can bring an enemy into engagement, while 1 square of pushing or sliding can force them to disengage. 5 squares can move them to a new sector.
Reach 2 means that enemies need to spend 2 squares of movement to disengage from you. Reach 3 means that you are engaged with each enemy in the sector—they must leave the sector to disengage. Characters with Reach may choose to engage at range—this means that they can use melee attacks against the target but the target cannot use melee attacks back unless their reach is at least as long. It also means that you are not adjacent for the purposes of Area or Close attacks. If you have reach 2 and engage at range, the target may disengage by spending just 1 square of movement, or may engage fully by spending 1 square as usual.
Ranged attacks work fairly simply: Range 5 or less may only be used within a sector, Ranges 6 to 10 may be used from a neighboring sector, and each increment of 5 adds another sector.
Charging is just moving and attacking—you cannot Charge a creature with whom you are already engaged.
Area attacks work differently too. Area 3x3 targets one creature and all adjacent creatures. You may except one creature from the sector if you wish. Area 4x4 is the same as Area 3x3 but you may include one other target in the sector. Area 5x5 targets an entire sector. Area 6x6 targets a sector plus any one creature in a neighboring sector. Area 7x7 targets a sector plus one group of adjacent creatures in a neighboring sector. Area 8x8 targets a sector plus one neighboring sector. Area 9x9 targets a sector and all neighboring sectors. Etc.
Close 1 targets all adjacent creatures. Close 2 adds one other target in the sector. Close 3 is like Area 5x5, Close 4 is like Area 7x7, etc. Many powers using Close N only target one or two creatures in their area—these are to be treated like Range N except that they do not grant opportunities.
Different sectors should have different attributes. Difficult terrain sectors cost 7 squares to enter and all movement within them costs twice as much. Sectors may contain cover or may not. A sector that is “dense” has cover from all other sectors. Sectors may contain traps requiring Saving Throws to avoid whenever anyone attempts to move within them. Sectors may be accessible only to certain character types: aquatic, flying, fire-immune, whatever.

dotLaura
Dec 23, 2007
i need to be excused.
Just finished our final fight for the Strike! game. I loved getting new skills for my HUGE veteran brute defender, Brenn.

Her top skills:
BARGE
Ultimate pull-up
Way cool scar story
Chaos dunk

Thank you Gort for running a great campaign.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
It was a Warhammer setting and I ended it literally covered in the blood of the Emperor's griffin. My wizard's top skills-
Cowboy
Diving out of the way of cannonballs
Inspire!
THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM

I've raved about the skill system before but the way it sort of becomes a little chronicle of the campaign is really great. Had a lot of fun with Strike, looking forward to dipping back in again when the next books are out, definitely going to pick those up!

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Also involved in campaign. Llewellyn the elf striker. Finished the game by posing awkwardly in front of the warhammer emperor while our healer failed a skill roll to save his griffin. Good times.

My skill list is fuckin long and I'm drunk now so so here's the whole thing.

Ambush
Hunting
Pathfinding
Weather prediction
Nature's bounty
Herbal medicine
Agility
Stealth
Escape artist
Trick shooting
Tree speaking
Pulling stuff
Matrix dodge
Bluff
Catch
Kick
Throw (we played blood bowl)
Building
Sea legs
Pulp hero
Swashbuckling
Vicious mockery
Training
Escaping Brenn
Disbelieve
Sneak up and get Im!
Legolasing

dotLaura
Dec 23, 2007
i need to be excused.

Kojiro posted:

THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM

Mallory, roller of ones, getting a crit on Final Form to send away legions of kurgans from the city with a gesture from their apparent god was pretty cool.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I'm very happy to say that jimbozig has given me permission to begin an open source character generator for Strike!.

Are others interested in this? Any particular things/suggestions?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

hyphz posted:

I'm very happy to say that jimbozig has given me permission to begin an open source character generator for Strike!.

Cool beans. I've been working on a monster builder on & off for my own use that I was considering adapting for characters later (honestly I probably won't finish it; it's easy enough to just write the monster block in my notebook).

Though I'm not sure you'd be able to do the thing I'd find the most helpful (power card sheet based on selection) without running into the issue of reprinting/distributing stuff in the book (unless jimbo ok'd that). If so yea, I'd use the hell out of it.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Generic Octopus posted:

Cool beans. I've been working on a monster builder on & off for my own use that I was considering adapting for characters later (honestly I probably won't finish it; it's easy enough to just write the monster block in my notebook).

Though I'm not sure you'd be able to do the thing I'd find the most helpful (power card sheet based on selection) without running into the issue of reprinting/distributing stuff in the book (unless jimbo ok'd that). If so yea, I'd use the hell out of it.

It can't contain full power texts as distributed, although I believe it'll be OK to allow the user to enter them from their copy of the book for their own use. I'll probably just load text from a JSON file that can be altered.

Has anyone done an HTML character sheet? The provided PDF probably contains more instructions than are needed when using a character generator.. (I'm writing it to run in a browser client-side just so it'll run on everything. Although I may regret using elm.)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

hyphz posted:

Just off the top of my head:

- Make sure to leave it expandable not just for Classes and Powers, but Roles, Feats, and Kits. Both for homebrew and future content, unless you're confident you can keep up with new releases.

- Some classes (such as one in the upcoming expansion) may not fit neatly into the traditional Class/Role paradigm, maybe have a check box for both Class and Role and have it checked by default. Unchecking Class would make you one of the "Simplified Classes" in the core book, and unchecking Role would just not give you a role. Again, probably not necessary if you simply have specific "rules" in place when people pick those specific classes, but worth considering as it might be less work.

- A way to export Power Cards. Something like this that can be easily printed off. Also have them export Roll20 macros (see my guide in the OP for necessary formatting). The latter is probably easier than the former but both would be nice if possible. I guess a printable character sheet would be nice too.

- Have it export a .txt version of your character sheet. Check basically any of the Strike PBP threads to see examples and pick which you think looks best.

I'm not exactly clear on what you can/can't have in the builder, since no full text removes a lot of the convenience of a builder (since otherwise you have to have the book with you to check everything anyway if you don't have it memorized), so I'd prioritize having the software export usable files as the main priority since I imagine that's where the actual convenience will come from versus the novelty of building in a builder versus doing it by hand.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Countblanc posted:

- Make sure to leave it expandable not just for Classes and Powers, but Roles, Feats, and Kits. Both for homebrew and future content, unless you're confident you can keep up with new releases.

Kits are relatively easy to do, as are Backgrounds and Origins, but Feats, Classes and Roles have the problem that they can affect all kinds of parts of a character. Trying to write an add-on scripting system that could support all of that would just be creating an inner platform, so my current plan is to modularise the source to make it as easy as possible for people to just implement their own. The fact that compiling Elm is easier than a really easy thing is helpful, too.

quote:

- Some classes (such as one in the upcoming expansion) may not fit neatly into the traditional Class/Role paradigm, maybe have a check box for both Class and Role and have it checked by default. Unchecking Class would make you one of the "Simplified Classes" in the core book, and unchecking Role would just not give you a role. Again, probably not necessary if you simply have specific "rules" in place when people pick those specific classes, but worth considering as it might be less work.

Anything can be left blank and is just left out.

quote:

- A way to export Power Cards. Something like this that can be easily printed off. Also have them export Roll20 macros (see my guide in the OP for necessary formatting). The latter is probably easier than the former but both would be nice if possible. I guess a printable character sheet would be nice too.

Wow, those are some nice ideas - I was designing power cards in HTML earlier but it's difficult to fit all the things on one line in the header in the way that the book does.

quote:

I'm not exactly clear on what you can/can't have in the builder, since no full text removes a lot of the convenience of a builder (since otherwise you have to have the book with you to check everything anyway if you don't have it memorized), so I'd prioritize having the software export usable files as the main priority since I imagine that's where the actual convenience will come from versus the novelty of building in a builder versus doing it by hand.

The plan is that while the builder can't highlight everything, it'll gather changes together and warn you. For example, the one Class I have implemented at the moment is the Necromancer and when you reach level 9, the text for "Command Undead" changes from "See page 102" to "See pages 102 and 103" to pick up the improvement at that level. It's not ideal but it does catch an error that'd be easy to make manually.

Edit: You can see so far at http://hyphz.github.io/StrikeGen.html . Only does skills and Necromancer class cards at the moment though.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 22, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

hyphz posted:

It would be nice if At-Wills and Basic Attacks leveled up when and how they're supposed to.

It would be nice if the character sheet accounted for the leveling system being used in a campaign (i.e. put check boxes next to Tricks for natural and hybrid leveling).

It would be nice if the character sheet had a place to put in one's choice of image.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

hyphz posted:

Make sure it prints nicely for black-and-white.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

hyphz posted:

Edit: You can see so far at http://hyphz.github.io/StrikeGen.html . Only does skills and Necromancer class cards at the moment though.

What should I be using to open the output file?

The program itself seems nice so far. I'm sure you realize this but just in case, the trash icon doesn't currently do anything (I assume it's supposed to delete the box it's next to). Some comments:

- Talk to jim and see if you can't like, include the first sentence of a power or something because it's really not terribly useful to see "See page X" for every single box. I've played a lot of Strike and I still couldn't tell you what quite a few abilities do, but if I had a sentence I'd probably remember the rest or at least know "oh yeah this is a Support/Defensive/Offensive power," which helps.

- Base the power bar's color off if it's at-will or encounter, not if it's a free/attack/role/no action. Health Swap being the one I noticed here.

- The "What skill?" for "How do you get stuff?" seems busted right now.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Countblanc posted:

What should I be using to open the output file?

As yet nothing. It's supposed to output the file in JSON so that the generator could load it back, but I reconsidered that when I realized it would mean mobiles couldn't save characters since they can't download. The usual way to fudge downloading on mobiles is to pack the character data into a parameter to the URL which can then be bookmarked, but I'm not sure if there's a decent compression library in Elm.

quote:

Talk to jim and see if you can't like, include the first sentence of a power or something because it's really not terribly useful to see "See page X" for every single box. I've played a lot of Strike and I still couldn't tell you what quite a few abilities do, but if I had a sentence I'd probably remember the rest or at least know "oh yeah this is a Support/Defensive/Offensive power," which helps.

The basic reasoning behind it was that the Rogue supplement is a thing, and future Class supplements are planned, so making power text publically available would be giving away these supplements entirely. As I mentioned I do intend to implement a way in which you can add your own text to powers when using it locally.

quote:

- Base the power bar's color off if it's at-will or encounter, not if it's a free/attack/role/no action. Health Swap being the one I noticed here.

It's trying to base it on the combination of frequency and type, but I had a problem with things like Health Swap and Lich Pact. In the book, they're coloured in the way that's usually used for At-Will Attacks, but they're not Attacks. I don't know if this is me misunderstanding the coding.

quote:

- The "What skill?" for "How do you get stuff?" seems busted right now.

I couldn't reproduce that... You are clicking somewhere else after entering it, right? (It won't update the form otherwise)

hyphz fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 23, 2016

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Alright, having tried it for myself, I've come to the conclusion that it'd be way, way more useful with the text. So you have permission to use power and class feature text from the core book. As for expansions, I'll hold off on making that decision for today.

The simple fact is that a really good tool that adds a lot of usability to the game and makes it easier to get into will hopefully get people playing more, and by consequence drive sales. I'm still at the stage where I'm more worried about getting people to play and talk about it than I am about people not paying for it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Alright, having tried it for myself, I've come to the conclusion that it'd be way, way more useful with the text. So you have permission to use power and class feature text from the core book. As for expansions, I'll hold off on making that decision for today.

The simple fact is that a really good tool that adds a lot of usability to the game and makes it easier to get into will hopefully get people playing more, and by consequence drive sales. I'm still at the stage where I'm more worried about getting people to play and talk about it than I am about people not paying for it.

Well, FWIW online builders usually incentivizes people to buy the books in order to look for better strategies and more details for their builds.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Plus if you lack the rules it's not like having the character info & power cards/sheet enables play via the generator alone.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

The color-coding in the books is basically Class At-Wills, Class Encounters, Role At-Wills, Role Encounters, and then weird other things like stances that don't exactly fit into those categories. The actual action type does not generally affect the color-coding.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Thanks very much! I've fixed the colors, and added reactive text for the Necromancer on the sample page.

The source is http://github.com/hyphz/StrikeGen if people are interested.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Probably goes without saying, but the new power readouts are much nicer.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Looking great! Having a Character Builder really helps.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
My Strike campaign fell through because of player scheduling problems, so I'm cleaning up a couple of my non-standard encounters so other people might be able to use them. The first is here.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Test version now has Duelists and MAs.

Multi Role Shapeshifter is going to be a massive pain in the rear end.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jimbozig posted:

Could have a policy of waiting 3-6 months or more after an expansion's release to allow it to be added to the character builder, most of any expansion's sales would have happened by then I imagine(kinda like how the D20PFSRD site usually waits a couple months before adding new Pathfinder books to it)

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

My Strike campaign fell through because of player scheduling problems, so I'm cleaning up a couple of my non-standard encounters so other people might be able to use them. The first is here.

Thanks, stealing this for when my players gain a level and travel to a reality-warped doomscape (session after next, probably).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The second of my monsters is up, starting on Page 4. I actually did use this one, it was a ton of fun to run. It requires a lot of tactical play both from the GM and players.