Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

theBeaz posted:

Everyone is doing such a good job ignoring them but since they keep trying to press their agenda here I just had to respond:

This is not the "Rift thread". This is the "VR thread". VR is going to change pretty rapidly in the next 12-18 months and it's nice having a megathread for it. The "Vive thread" was formed so some people could ironically wall themselves off from the Rift folks. However many of us are gaming enthusiasts and like hearing about both/all technologies. This thread is best thread. Go play console warrior in the other one.

Naw, this is the Rift thread, because it's pretty nasty to read this thread if you own a Vive. You are basically told you are self-entitled douche, even when you just want to talk about what is actually going on in the industry and people would rather ignore the current standing for what-might-bes, because that is all the rift has going for it.

Maybe at some point, when cooler heads prevail can the threads consolidate, but as it is, it's pretty rough to be excited about VR if you're just spending time talking about how your choice of HMD is going to one day be made inferior, just you wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Where is the vive thread?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

r0ck0 posted:

Where is the vive thread?

Here. We may look grumpy buy we don't bite, mostly because our vives are too big and bulky to support any kind of smiles.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mordaedil posted:

Naw, this is the Rift thread, because it's pretty nasty to read this thread if you own a Vive. You are basically told you are self-entitled douche, even when you just want to talk about what is actually going on in the industry and people would rather ignore the current standing for what-might-bes, because that is all the rift has going for it.

Maybe at some point, when cooler heads prevail can the threads consolidate, but as it is, it's pretty rough to be excited about VR if you're just spending time talking about how your choice of HMD is going to one day be made inferior, just you wait.

I have no idea what you are on about (nasty to read this thread if you own a Vive?) as no one in this thread has been bashing either system at all. Most of the discussion in here has been really neutral and either about software, or figuring out problems, or people's initial impressions, and 99% of the comments I've seen about the Vive here are positive. Are you just mad that no one wants to take the bait and turn this thread into another console warring shitfest?

There's no point to spending a thread saying "your VR choice is poo poo"..."no YOUR VR choice is poo poo!" It accomplishes nothing other than maybe marginally justifying your overpriced luxury purchase to yourself (and I mean that for both systems because let's face it, we're all suckers here who bought into questionable bleeding edge tech). You're not going to convince anyone. Although "you're not going to change the other guy's mind and you're wasting your fuckin time" probably applies to 99% of the arguments on the internet to begin with. So why not actually talk about useful information in here rather than rehashing literally the exact same argument that has been ongoing for months, with nothing new added?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I don't think he was being serious. :ssh:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Ah well in that case just forward my above speech to Knifegrab instead :)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mordaedil posted:

What the hell are you talking about? Do you live in some sort of fantasy world? This is the general VR thread and people talk about anything in VR. No one is disparaging you for owning a vive. As I stated in the OP, check your console warrior attitude at the door. This is like fighting over which CPU or GPU brand is better in a PC gaming thread.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Cojawfee posted:

What the hell are you talking about? Do you live in some sort of fantasy world? This is the general VR thread and people talk about anything in VR. No one is disparaging you for owning a vive.

Stuff it in your vive hole, jerk.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

What the hell are you talking about? Do you live in some sort of fantasy world?

can we please settle down

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If anyone is into sim racing, iRacing will have the latest oculus SDK in the new build next week. It's also going to have the pixel per display stuff that Assetto Corsa has so you can do some super sampling to get a clearer picture.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

His post history shows otherwise. I think the Vive is awesome. I'd love to buy a Vive. I like to hear about the Vive more and its future. And all the other competitors.

Having a Vive-only thread is as dumb as an Oculus-only store.

Long live PSVR.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

can we please settle down

His entire post history his him trying to be Knifegrab Jr. He's either being serious or he's being a super lame troll. Neither of those things is needed in the thread.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
And in the end the greatest console warriors where those in the anti-knifegrab camp.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Can you three please not actively try to make this place a worse place to post?

---

Waltz of the Wizard is super great and I would have been happy to throw down some cash for this even if it is pretty short.

I think I may have spent too long playing it though... nothing seems quite right in the real world anymore. Everything is a bit too far away and a bit... unreal seeming.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Spent a while setting up controls again in War Thunder. Jumped into the tutorial to fly around a bit and see how it feels. Must have been a calibration issue with my HOTAS. As soon as it turned over control to me I was fighting with the controls to keep it level. After 10 seconds of spinning uncontrollably, I had to rip off the headset. On the plus side, I'm only about halfway through my giant bag of ginger chews.

All I want is a super chill flight sim with easy controls to fly around in.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

DrBox posted:

Spent a while setting up controls again in War Thunder. Jumped into the tutorial to fly around a bit and see how it feels. Must have been a calibration issue with my HOTAS. As soon as it turned over control to me I was fighting with the controls to keep it level. After 10 seconds of spinning uncontrollably, I had to rip off the headset. On the plus side, I'm only about halfway through my giant bag of ginger chews.

Isn't that what "FlyInside FSX" is supposed to be? Or does that mess up the easy controls bit (I've never played it).

As for War Thunder I used to play it religiously with kb+m and I don't have a real HOTAS setup, just an old flight stick. Is it worth trying it again in VR with an Xbox controller or just pass?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did you go through and set your own controls for War Thunder? Make sure there isn't some other device giving input to war thunder that's messing you up.

If anything, War Thunder is worth loading up in VR just to fly around a bit. I'm not good enough at sim battles to play super serious and you just can't be very good at the game from the cockpit in the arcade battles. I loaded up War Thunder in VR and flew around a bunch and thought it was really cool. Then I took off my headset and started flying 3rd person with mouse and keyboard in order to be able to compete with everyone else.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 4, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I played some VR Pool and the game is pretty good. My only problem is when I scratched when playing the AI. The AI placed the ball and then hit a ball behind the headstring which is a foul but it kept on playing. I also checked out Final Approach. I avoided it at first because it is a phone game but the news that they were adding some other things to it caused me to break down and buy it. It's really good and I'll have to add it to the OP.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DrBox posted:

Make sure you *disable* mouse axis, otherwise if you don't leave it centered on your screen your plane will obviously trim itself wherever.

Cojawfee posted:

Did you go through and set your own controls for War Thunder? Make sure there isn't some other device giving input to war thunder that's messing you up.

If anything, War Thunder is worth loading up in VR just to fly around a bit. I'm not good enough at sim battles to play super serious and you just can't be very good at the game from the cockpit in the arcade battles. I loaded up War Thunder in VR and flew around a bunch and thought it was really cool. Then I took off my headset and started flying 3rd person with mouse and keyboard in order to be able to compete with everyone else.

I play arcade in "virtual cockpit" (the thing that is just hud) and it owns a lot anyway. Not as good as simulator battles, of course, but not all my friends can stomach that.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I bit the bullet and ordered a Vive since it seems to be at a point where you can get one without too much of a wait. What kind of shipping company do they use and is it possible to set a place to pick it up instead of having it delivered to my house? My work schedule is kinda hectic lately and I may not be able to be home for the delivery.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They are using Digital River which is complete gutter trash. Unless they changed things recently, they don't allow you to customize delivery. You have to let it fail delivery once and then you can set it to be delivered to a FedEx store.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Well dang.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I don't even like cockpit view in war thunder. I just use standard newbie mouse fly mode with chase cam in arcade mode. It's still a rush when you dive bomb ground targets.

I tried hooking up my joystick and playing one of those harder battles but honestly didn't enjoy it much at all.

BTW those who like space, apparently star conflict also supports VR. Haven't installed it yet to try; i played it years ago and then they patched some super grind in and I stopped.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 4, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Bhodi posted:

i played it years ago and then they patched some super grind in and I stopped.

That's exactly what happened in me and my friends' cases. We went and checked it out fairly recently, and while it's still easy to get battles, a lot of the time you get super veterans in who destroy you for breakfast, making it rather unfun.

I think the game just doesn't have a big enough player base or something. In warthunder, in the lower ranks, I rarely see the same players.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Question about VR and SLI support: does it depend on each singular game like in standard gaming or it's something "coz VR" period? Also, it's a yes or a no?

And as regards the new Pascal arch, I've got that all the amazing features implemented via VRWorks and relative uber-boosts in performances, aren't used by any game at all right now. Does it take a total rewrite of the game engine to implement them or it's something that can happen via a patch?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Republicans posted:

I bit the bullet and ordered a Vive since it seems to be at a point where you can get one without too much of a wait. What kind of shipping company do they use and is it possible to set a place to pick it up instead of having it delivered to my house? My work schedule is kinda hectic lately and I may not be able to be home for the delivery.

If you have a Microcenter nearby check their stock. The one nearest to me hasn't gotten any as fat as I can tell but the one in Columbus showed 10+ in stock last night.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

froody guy posted:

Question about VR and SLI support: does it depend on each singular game like in standard gaming or it's something "coz VR" period? Also, it's a yes or a no?
It's even more per-game than standard SLI. Standard SLI can sometimes be forced on games that don't officially support it using Nvidia's tools; VR SLI can only be implemented by games.

To the best of my knowledge there are exactly zero games to date that have implemented VR SLI.

froody guy posted:

And as regards the new Pascal arch, I've got that all the amazing features implemented via VRWorks and relative uber-boosts in performances, aren't used by any game at all right now. Does it take a total rewrite of the game engine to implement them or it's something that can happen via a patch?
Right now there's a large engine rewrite VR games can do which will make them run faster on any hardware. Again I don't think any games have done this yet, but I've seen concept renderers for Unreal so it probably won't be too long before some start to.

The Pascal optimisations are only available to games that have already done this rewrite, but for those games it should be doable as a patch.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

The Pascal optimisations are only available to games that have already done this rewrite, but for those games it should be doable as a patch.
Any idea about which ones did that already? Like, Valkyrie? Nvidia has always been a CCP's partner but I'm not quite sure about how good are people at CCP at coding :v:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

froody guy posted:

Any idea about which ones did that already? Like, Valkyrie? Nvidia has always been a CCP's partner but I'm not quite sure about how good are people at CCP at coding :v:

As I said, as far as I know no games have done the prerequisite "any hardware" VR engine rewrite yet, though there have been proof-of-concept demos. I imagine once someone does Nvidia will put a lot of pressure on them to include the Pascal optimisations on top and then shout about it from the rooftops, so I expect we'll know when it happens.

In the specific case of Valkyrie I'd say it depends whether they need the rewrite to hit framerate on PSVR. If they need it for that they'll do it, if they don't... well, I can't really imagine the PC version has been successful enough for them to justify additional investment.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Bhodi posted:

Many people have used it and since it's hosted on github so I thought it's relatively safe. I think chrome warned me and assumed it was a false positive and ignored it. Whether you do the same is up to you. In general, I don't have a high opinion of virus scanners so it was an easy choice for me.

Thanks, have installed it and been trying to make it work for a couple of hours now, finally got the alpha 3 working, now to try the lab!

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 4, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
If you want a cheap rift, just buy the replacement cable!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Knifegrab posted:

If you want a cheap rift, just buy the replacement cable!

Please tell me they're going to honor this. lol

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So what's the current go-to for VR Horror?

Right now the scariest game I've played has been Waltz of the Wizard (that part was pretty great by the way, in fact the whole thing is pretty great)

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

GlyphGryph posted:

So what's the current go-to for VR Horror?

Right now the scariest game I've played has been Waltz of the Wizard (that part was pretty great by the way, in fact the whole thing is pretty great)

Brookhaven Experiment has easily been the freakiest game I've experienced so far, although it definitely loses a bit of the edge after a couple of replays.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Aphex- posted:

Brookhaven Experiment has easily been the freakiest game I've experienced so far, although it definitely loses a bit of the edge after a couple of replays.

My friends made fun of me because I only had 2 minutes played in that game. A zombie snuck up behind me and I promptly hit the menu button and stopped the game. 2 spoopy.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Aphex- posted:

Brookhaven is great, just beat it. The ending of the demo... wow, especially considering what I was thinking at the end of wave 2 when you get that "glimpse" in the distance.

I can't wait for the full game - that and Budget Cuts both look like they're going to be super fun.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Visit is a near horror "experience" and it's cheap, Brookhaven is fun for a single playthrough but it's too drat slow and the end is the best part but it just takes too long to get there.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

Please tell me they're going to honor this. lol

Of course they'll honor it. You will get everything listed in the package by early 2018 too :D

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

How does it work if you receive a defective Rift? I've searched in the oculus site and googled "oculs rift return policy" but I found only people bitching about the fact that oculus doesn't have a return policy page. Dafuq?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

froody guy posted:

How does it work if you receive a defective Rift? I've searched in the oculus site and googled "oculs rift return policy" but I found only people bitching about the fact that oculus doesn't have a return policy page. Dafuq?

You suck it up, obviously. All sales are final