Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

froody guy posted:

How does it work if you receive a defective Rift? I've searched in the oculus site and googled "oculs rift return policy" but I found only people bitching about the fact that oculus doesn't have a return policy page. Dafuq?

The stories on reddit have not been good. Sounds like it's a long process of convincing support that it's actually broken, then an RMA. Apparantly they won't repair, only replace, and replacements aren't going to be sent until current orders have been fulfilled - so September now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

I can't wait for the full game - that and Budget Cuts both look like they're going to be super fun.
Budget Cuts was a blast. The first time I killed a robot and there was a surprise second robot, I turned around and then physically tried to run away. Got my foot caught in the cord, stumbled, then remembered it was VR but was too panicked to remember how to use the teleport gun in time and instead knocked a whole bunch of stuff off a desk in VR before getting shot. Pure comedy. Has anyone coined a term for overreacting physically to a virtual situation? I really Britta'd that getaway.

I also must have spent 15 minutes throwing knives in the room with the target on the wall. Overhand, underhand, side arm, having to physically jump to pull knives out of the roof...

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

NRVNQSR posted:

The stories on reddit have not been good. Sounds like it's a long process of convincing support that it's actually broken, then an RMA. Apparantly they won't repair, only replace, and replacements aren't going to be sent until current orders have been fulfilled - so September now.

That's pretty brutal.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

You suck it up, obviously. All sales are final

NRVNQSR posted:

Waiting to know if that was actually serious before canceling my preorder but that'd be fun.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

froody guy posted:

How does it work if you receive a defective Rift? I've searched in the oculus site and googled "oculs rift return policy" but I found only people bitching about the fact that oculus doesn't have a return policy page. Dafuq?

You submit a ticket and hope for the best. It's about the same for HTC, from what I hear.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I was in Microcenter Boston yesterday and they were selling multiple Vives for MSRP plus MA sales tax. Good way to save on shipping though.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Kazy posted:

You submit a ticket and hope for the best. It's about the same for HTC, from what I hear.

Not sure my body is ready for this guinea pig amazing tech devkit thingy VR :ohdear:

Probably waiting for the Vive to land in physical stores isn't such a terrible idea. I've heard other saying it's a matter of a couple of months, pretty much when I should have received the Rift.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

froody guy posted:

Probably waiting for the Vive to land in physical stores isn't such a terrible idea. I've heard other saying it's a matter of a couple of months, pretty much when I should have received the Rift.

Depending on where you are it might be a matter of now.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

Depending on where you are it might be a matter of now.

Nope, I'm in EU but that's all good, at least it gives credits to the rumors about this thing actually happening sooner rather than later.

Now the only reason to NOT cancel the Rift preorder is that insane idea of re-selling it on ebay but honestly I'm too lazy for that and it's hard to say if it's still gonna be possible by the end of July and for what profit.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

froody guy posted:

Nope, I'm in EU but that's all good, at least it gives credits to the rumors about this thing actually happening sooner rather than later.

Now the only reason to NOT cancel the Rift preorder is that insane idea of re-selling it on ebay but honestly I'm too lazy for that and it's hard to say if it's still gonna be possible by the end of July and for what profit.

I just sold two of them on eBay a couple days ago for $995 each. There's always people in countries who can't get buy them directly, so they'll always pay $200-300 premium to get it on eBay.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

GlyphGryph posted:

Brookhaven is great, just beat it. The ending of the demo... wow, especially considering what I was thinking at the end of wave 2 when you get that "glimpse" in the distance.

I can't wait for the full game - that and Budget Cuts both look like they're going to be super fun.

Yeah the ending of the demo gave me a proper feeling of fear the first couple of times. The sense of presence and scale really sells it. Definitely going to buy the full game when it comes out.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Looks like OSVR are also calling Oculus out for their shittiness.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Someone would actually need to use OSVR for that to mean anything.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Cojawfee posted:

Someone would actually need to use OSVR for that to mean anything.

They're pushing their SDK which is open and supports multiple HMD's, it has nothing to do with their hardware (this announcement anyway)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's what I was talking about. Someone would have to use it for it to matter. It's an empty gesture. They created their SDK to support any headset so why would there be headset DRM? Oculus created their SDK for their headset. However a bad decision it may be, it makes sense to them that they would want it to only work with the hardware they choose. If there's no DRM on the games whatsoever, that's a poor choice. Even Steam has DRM.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

That's what I was talking about. Someone would have to use it for it to matter. It's an empty gesture. They created their SDK to support any headset so why would there be headset DRM? Oculus created their SDK for their headset. However a bad decision it may be, it makes sense to them that they would want it to only work with the hardware they choose. If there's no DRM on the games whatsoever, that's a poor choice. Even Steam has DRM.

Yeah except Steam DRM isn't hardware exclusive, also steam doesn't pay developers to only develop for steam. But keep trying to defend the awesome DRM that is locking out other HMD users from a storefront.

God I'd love to see the uproar if steam locked rift users out of its store.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ah, I see you're playing the "not bothering to even read the post" game. I wasn't defending Oculus and I never said that Steam has hardware DRM.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Ah, I see you're playing the "not bothering to even read the post" game. I wasn't defending Oculus and I never said that Steam has hardware DRM.

Yeah so who cares? I don't think anyone cares that Oculus has general "DRM". No one would give two shits if Oculus had DRM locking it to its store (which it does anyway). People care that its creating DRM to explicitely lock other HMD's out of its store, and that its buying out developers to develop on an SDK that isn't applicable to every other HMD on the market.

Saying "Well steam has DRM too :downs: " Is like the dumbest point in this argument you could make.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
And an open source SDK that wants to be a platform that supports any hardware making a statement saying it won't have hardware DRM means literally nothing. They are jumping on a bandwagon by making a meaningless statement in hopes that people will use OSVR. I can't find any decent games that natively support the OSVR runtime. I can only find people trying to get their OSVR headset working in SteamVR.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Could be that they will launch on GoG's VR store.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

And an open source SDK that wants to be a platform that supports any hardware making a statement saying it won't have hardware DRM means literally nothing. They are jumping on a bandwagon by making a meaningless statement in hopes that people will use OSVR. I can't find any decent games that natively support the OSVR runtime. I can only find people trying to get their OSVR headset working in SteamVR.

Yeah but its still a good thing. People should be using OSVR and hopefully they will, just because no one uses it now does not mean its meaningless. I'd way prefer OSVR to become the defacto standard SDK. I believe its truly open as well as opposed to SteamVR which is hardware agnostic but still closed source.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I found this on the iracing forums and hadn't seen anyone post it here. Oculus' legal counsel has responded to Senator Franken about concerns with Oculus' data collection. Assuming they aren't lying to a US Senator, it all seems like normal stuff.

http://www.franken.senate.gov/files/letter/160519_OculusRiftResponse.pdf

Someone had also posted this. Steam released stats on the size of users' play areas a few days ago. Looks like a big chunk of people only have room for standing scale. Around half only have 2.5x2 meters of space. My area is 2m by 2m and even then I find myself just standing in the middle and teleporting around if the game supports that. For games like Final Approach or Job Sim where you're just given an area that's mapped to your play area, I find myself bumping into walls sometimes when trying to reach something in the game. I don't know if Final Approach changes the size of the maps based on how much room you have, but I'm not too keen on how it works. I always feel like I'm backed up against a wall or just in my own way while standing in the middle of the airport or whatever the level is. I'd rather if they just have one size, make it so I can reach everything while standing in one spot. If they wan to make it so I can walk around the level, make the level bigger and give me a teleport mechanic of some kind.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/358720/discussions/0/350532536103514259/

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 5, 2016

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Knifegrab posted:

Yeah but its still a good thing. People should be using OSVR and hopefully they will, just because no one uses it now does not mean its meaningless. I'd way prefer OSVR to become the defacto standard SDK. I believe its truly open as well as opposed to SteamVR which is hardware agnostic but still closed source.

From my understanding OSVR leverages both OVR (Oculus) and OpenVR (SteamVR) when running on Oculus/HTC hardware. I guess it provides its own api for accessing non Oculus/HTC hardware.
Supposedly for games that want to support it, it just lets you mix and match HMDs/Inputs and provides some sort standard interface for getting tracking data.

So in theory it sounds like it'd be the best of all worlds for developers to utilize, they'd just have to worry about how much overhead leveraging OVR/SteamVR would be for running on the two consumer grade kits out there.

TANSTAAFL
Feb 10, 2006
fubar

Cojawfee posted:

I found this on the iracing forums and hadn't seen anyone post it here. Oculus' legal counsel has responded to Senator Franken about concerns with Oculus' data collection. Assuming they aren't lying to a US Senator, it all seems like normal stuff.

http://www.franken.senate.gov/files/letter/160519_OculusRiftResponse.pdf

Someone had also posted this. Steam released stats on the size of users' play areas a few days ago. Looks like a big chunk of people only have room for standing scale. Around half only have 2.5x2 meters of space. My area is 2m by 2m and even then I find myself just standing in the middle and teleporting around if the game supports that. For games like Final Approach or Job Sim where you're just given an area that's mapped to your play area, I find myself bumping into walls sometimes when trying to reach something in the game. I don't know if Final Approach changes the size of the maps based on how much room you have, but I'm not too keen on how it works. I always feel like I'm backed up against a wall or just in my own way while standing in the middle of the airport or whatever the level is. I'd rather if they just have one size, make it so I can reach everything while standing in one spot. If they wan to make it so I can walk around the level, make the level bigger and give me a teleport mechanic of some kind.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/358720/discussions/0/350532536103514259/

You really think 18.5 % is a big chunk? Seems remarkably small to me considering it includes any Rifts that are using steam as well. I have 2.3x2.3 and find it pretty good though I wouldn't want to try standing scale that's for sure. My takeaway from those stats was clearly what they expected which was the large majority of users have more then the minimum required for room scale. Good news indeed!

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I would think early adopters are more likely compared to your average person to either already have the space, or clear out the space for the larger sized roomscale area, and even in that case ~20% are only using standing scale. Hmmm.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Well, uh

I mean I would hope the majority of people buying a product had the recommended minimums.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

https://www.facebook.com/mikeyk/posts/10102322332374103

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Well, uh

I mean I would hope the majority of people buying a product had the recommended minimums.

Haha, well yeah. I just thought more early adopters would have had more space.

Holy poo poo!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Holy poo poo that guy is super lucky it was only as bad as it was.

Poetic Justice posted:

I would think early adopters are more likely compared to your average person to either already have the space, or clear out the space for the larger sized roomscale area, and even in that case ~20% are only using standing scale. Hmmm.

20% is actually pretty small. Being an early adopter doesn't mean you just have lots of open space in your house. 20% is actually pretty drat impressive its that low, shows that most people really value roomscale over standing. I mean I have a pretty huge apartment and even I barely meet roomscale. I'm sure as time goes on and the tech becomes more ubiquitous people will start making the room for roomscale vr, like converting offices or something.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

TANSTAAFL posted:

You really think 18.5 % is a big chunk? Seems remarkably small to me considering it includes any Rifts that are using steam as well. I have 2.3x2.3 and find it pretty good though I wouldn't want to try standing scale that's for sure.
I agree, I'd hate to try standing scale unless I have tinyTyrannosaurus Rex arms. I had 2m x 2.3m and I thought it was pretty ok. I have long arms though so standing center and pivoting on foot and reaching for the wall I could knock it with the controller on the small dimension. I feel like 2m x 2m is still pretty close to standing scale, although you have a few inches in either direction to move.

After trying to decide if I should completely empty this room except for a desk, I just punched a hole in my wall between my office where the computer is into my dining room. On the far side of that I can push a coffee table back and get a 4m x 2.5m space and it is a whole new experience. The secondary benefit is that that room doesn't get 80+ degrees with a beefy VR computer running in it. The down side is that the lighthouses don't seem to track as well there. I did room setup like 10 times before I was able to complete it, although the first few times it failed I didn't realize I was trying to mark out close to a 6m x 2.5 space.

EDIT: Forgot to mention in case folks are wondering. I replaced the cable between the connection box and the computer with a 3m USB3 and HDMI cable (AmazonBasics) to extend the distance and supposedly that is just fine, but the recommended max for a USB 3.0 cable

Now if "something" would just happen to that dining room table to make it disappear...

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 5, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

20% is actually pretty small. Being an early adopter doesn't mean you just have lots of open space in your house. 20% is actually pretty drat impressive its that low, shows that most people really value roomscale over standing. I mean I have a pretty huge apartment and even I barely meet roomscale. I'm sure as time goes on and the tech becomes more ubiquitous people will start making the room for roomscale vr, like converting offices or something.

That's sort of what I'm saying though. The fact that the hardcore early adopters aren't already making room for the larger spaces doesn't give me a lot of hope that your average consumer will either.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Poetic Justice posted:

That's sort of what I'm saying though. The fact that the hardcore early adopters aren't already making room for the larger spaces doesn't give me a lot of hope that your average consumer will either.

You can't make space that you don't have. Just because they are early adopters doesn't mean they live somewhere with enough space. Like I said I have what many would consider a HUGE apartment for my city and I barely meet the roomscale minimum.

That number is incredibly and surprisingly low and is actually incredibly good news for roomscale moving forward. Its not even low enough to deter developers from focusing roomscale, the real thing to worry about.l

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 5, 2016

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Poetic Justice posted:

80% of them are making space. What kind of numbers would give you hope?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

That 18.5% must include all rifts on steam too, right?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Roshnak posted:

80% of them are making space. What kind of numbers would give you hope?

Oh my god, I'm retarded. My excuse is I just got back from being in the sun all day.

Marverick
Jan 9, 2004
Retired Webcartoonist
Anyone else tried Dreadhalls?

For a game with such simple graphics, it sure does a good job of scaring the poo poo out of me. I'm used to horror games by now, but not like this.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Tweak posted:

That 18.5% must include all rifts on steam too, right?

Yes they said so in their post, it includes both vive and rift.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i'm curious what percentage of that percentage then is vive owners just standing, and how many monitors they've punched

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Keep in mind that "standing scale" is anything smaller than 2x1.5 meters from my experience with trying to get my area to work. 1/5th is a pretty good chunk. Then over half have barely more than that. Most people have just barely enough room to get room scale. Just to get my area, I had to take a table apart and move it somewhere else. This is all people who are really into VR. Who knows what the average consumer is willing to sacrifice. There are of course plenty of people who have houses large enough to dedicate a room to video games or clear a big area of their family room to get a decent VR space. But often these people are setting up their room scale area right up against glass doors, TVs and other breakable objects.

Every time I see one of these videos I get nervous about showing someone a game like that. It's a testament to how immersive VR is, but I don't know if I can trust them to not sprint off and break something. When I first loaded it up, I saw that he wasn't using the wrist straps and I immediately assumed "Oh, he's going to throw the wand into the TV." I didn't expect him to go through the door. He could have died doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I had a pretty decent amount of space at one point (It was like 3.1x2.6 or something) but after a few weeks I didn't want to be in my living room anymore so I had to break everything down, and now in my bedroom I barely have any space at all.