Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

End of Life Guy posted:

It's gonna be a W/G werewolf that pumps toughness and shits sheep tokens or some such dumb thing because it tested well with casuals.

Luckily we already have a W/G token-shitter in SOI.

I'm hoping that the R/G werewolf legend is actually a werewolf, unlike that time Maro claimed that looking like a minotaur in the art and having flavor connections to minotaur qualified Mogis to be the B/R minotaur legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Elyv posted:

Window breaking theme deck with Mayor, Mardu Shadowspear, Relentless Dead

Anything else?

Shard of broken glass :v:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I'm hoping that the R/G werewolf legend is actually a werewolf, unlike that time Maro claimed that looking like a minotaur in the art and having flavor connections to minotaur qualified Mogis to be the B/R minotaur legend.

As someone who played a fuckton of minotaur tribal, I can confirm that mogis not being an actual minotaur was a huge drag. Still fun to shout and demand tribute from other players though.

MoreLikeTen fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 5, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thought-experiment: imagine the new warhammer "role playing" rules applied to magic. Get extra draws, scry, or other effects for shouting a catchphrase, holding a goblet up for m'lady, smashing a nearby window, or dressing up as a phyrexian gooberlord.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The idea of the flip trigger is that if no-one's doing anything it's 'night', and if people are doing things it's now day again. That kindof works but tends to be clunky in-game. They probably could have explored other triggers (like just every upkeep) or done more designs like Duskwatch Recruiter that aren't horrible on their front side and which have a mana sink to help them flip.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Build it into the rules that it becomes night or day every five minutes and have some TO announce it to everyone, boom flavor solved

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

vanov posted:

Build it into the rules that it becomes night or day every five minutes and have some TO announce it to everyone, boom flavor solved

Player 2: dude, hurry up!
Player 1: (long pause), attack with this guy
Player 2: block with my bigger dude
TO: (ominous clock strikes twelve sound)
Player 1: transform my guy , your guy will die
Player 2: ok, well before damage, I'm going to the bathroom for 5 minutes

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

logis posted:

Player 2: dude, hurry up!
Player 1: (long pause), attack with this guy
Player 2: block with my bigger dude
TO: (ominous clock strikes twelve sound)
Player 1: transform my guy , your guy will die
Player 2: ok, well before damage, I'm going to the bathroom for 5 minutes

I don't see the problem.

I think werewolves would be improved without being made broken if the condition to flip was you not casting a spell on your turn as opposed to any one. This way your opponent doesn't smugly cast an instance at the end of the turn.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

JerryLee posted:

Well, the "entire idea behind" zombies is that they're once-living but now dead and partially decayed people who were reanimated out of the ground, and that's a significant part of their horror, but most of the time I can just cast a card that resembles them in that reanimated-out-of-the-ground state and not have to deal with a front face that depicts some or all of that person's life, untimely death, and funeral service.

and the card that did this was one of the biggest flavour slam dunks in the original block

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

End of Life Guy posted:

It's gonna be a W/G werewolf that pumps toughness and shits sheep tokens or some such dumb thing because it tested well with casuals.

A shepherd that shits out sheep tokens and transforms into a werewolf that eats them for upside would actually be awesome

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Mr. Jive posted:

A shepherd that shits out sheep tokens and transforms into a werewolf that eats them for upside would actually be awesome

Yeah, 0/1 sheep tokens, you can sac them to gain 2 life or something

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
SCG having issues? Stream seems offline.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Molybdenum posted:

Yeah, 0/1 sheep tokens, you can sac them to gain 2 life or something

Gain two life, give a werewolf +2/+2 or a creature -1/-1/

Ewezamas Jitte

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Sickening posted:

SCG having issues? Stream seems offline.

Yep. 20 mins ago they said they're working on it and will be up ASAP, but no real timeline.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Snacksmaniac posted:

Ewezamas Jitte

:rimshot:

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

a werewolf shepherd is really good flavor for innistrad as a whole but unfortunately it was already done last time for a lovely card that did nothing with it

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

As for a legendary werewolf, how about a 1/1 that flips into a 0/0 that gets a counter every time something flips (including itself?). Maybe something that would prevent it from dying if you get the triggers wrong.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

odiv posted:

As for a legendary werewolf, how about a 1/1 that flips into a 0/0 that gets a counter every time something flips (including itself?). Maybe something that would prevent it from dying if you get the triggers wrong.

The ability is on both sides? So it just gets smaller in wolf form?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Procrastinator posted:

and the card that did this was one of the biggest flavour slam dunks in the original block

You mean the card I mentioned a sentence or two after the ones you quoted, observing that its flavor was incredibly cool but would be incredibly tedious to have on every Zombie in Innistrad? That card? :v:

Snacksmaniac posted:

Ewezamas Jitte

:golfclap:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Dr. Stab posted:

The ability is on both sides? So it just gets smaller in wolf form?

Nah, I was just thinking the ability would be on the one side. It would only stay the same size or get bigger when it flipped into a wolf.

But yeah, back and forth would make for some awkward triggering I think and plenty of chances for feelbads.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The actual mechanical trigger for transforming them feels pretty arbitrary though. It doesn't really have a clear flavor, and "don't cast anything during your turn" clashes a bit with the RG Aggro approach that werewolves seem like they're meant to take.

I would say that "casting no spells" is an abstraction of a nighttime lack of activity, after everyone's gone to bed, while two spells is a daytime surge.

EDIT:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The idea of the flip trigger is that if no-one's doing anything it's 'night', and if people are doing things it's now day again. That kindof works but tends to be clunky in-game. They probably could have explored other triggers (like just every upkeep) or done more designs like Duskwatch Recruiter that aren't horrible on their front side and which have a mana sink to help them flip.

Yah, what he said.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
I didn't even pick up on the day/night thing, I just figured it's always kinda quiet and spooky right before werewolves transform in the movies. You always get a shot of the moon and/or a couple getting busy in a secluded location, not a bunch of people doing taxes and yelling.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

in hindsight building the cool aggro tribe around a mechanic that requires you to sit around not doing anything wasn't quite the flavour home run Wizards anticipated

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

ZeroCount posted:

in hindsight building the cool aggro tribe around a mechanic that requires you to sit around not doing anything wasn't quite the flavour home run Wizards anticipated

they're the midrange tribe, vampires are the aggro tribe (humans are also...kind of?)

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A werewolf deck needs things to do with its mana on the turn the player controlling them decides not to do anything to flip them.
Stuff like duskwatch recruiter and activated abilities that only cost mana help a lot, and lend a midrange flavor to the deck. Good instants help as well.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The SOI werewolves cost 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5. (avg. 2.9)

I dunno felt like bringing it up.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
So what metagame shift, if any, caused Wheel of Sun and Moon to jump up to $15ish, up from the $4-5 it was the last time I looked at it?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Warwilf?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

C-Euro posted:

So what metagame shift, if any, caused Wheel of Sun and Moon to jump up to $15ish, up from the $4-5 it was the last time I looked at it?

8 bucks lightly played on TCGPlayer all day

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
My best guess is its flexibility. It nerfs any dredge decks plus gives you good defense against mill strategies.

EDIT: Also it nerfs Melira/Anafenza shenanigans, Snapcaster Mage, delve strategies. It's pretty good to have handy.

Emerson Cod fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 6, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Until proven otherwise you should assume it's mtg finance

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Shadowmoor/Eventide prices are all over the fuckin' map.

Also Wheel is a fun casual card because it allows you to play your cards forever. At least, that's what I see it as.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

this is 100% correct

Elyv fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 6, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Seth Manfield wins yet another GP

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rabidsquid posted:

Yep. Rest In Peace blew up whatever fringe playability Wheel had. Now you'd have to be in a deck that can pay its mana cost, that wants the constant replacement effect grave hate, but not Rest In Peace's symmetry. This reduces the list of decks that play it to near nothing.

Only list of any notability to have ran it in the last two years is this thing. This was nearly two months ago.

So unless this weekend has just had some crazy wheel nonsense it's based on nothing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's because EDMN will have a "bottom of library" theme and Wheel will be the centerpiece of modern's new most broken deck.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

speaking of #mtgfinance apparently someone bought out all the NM/M Libraries of Alexandria

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

i heard some idiot nerds wanted to start playing vintage because of ema....

http://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/11943

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
It is played as mono green devotion SB tech vs. graveyard strategies. still isn't good.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You may laugh at my Wheelbarrow of Sun and Moon now, but we'll see who looks silly when they print Future Sight But For The Bottom Of Your Library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's because EDMN will have a "bottom of library" theme and Wheel will be the centerpiece of modern's new most broken deck.

Finally a chance to print canal dredger on modo.

• Locked thread