Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

iminers posted:

Have to agree with alex. How much money went into this trainwreck again?

About $9 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entoloma
Jan 2, 2009
The Gold Crown/premium currency thing suggests they've gone full F2P business model now. I just hope the main quest and story holds up and is satisfying enough. There is still the offline mode too. And there are future mods for that.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I got banned from their chat servers for swearing :(

Edit: They have now informed me that chat rules being violated may result in me being banned from the game completely!

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 28, 2016

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Don't have a potty mouth then.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

yoloer420 posted:

Edit: They have now informed me that chat rules being violated may result in me being banned from the game completely!

This seems like a bad idea for business/population as I can't imagine anyone swearing at SoTA buying a second copy

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Yeah it seems a bit much. I'm now waiting for management to inform me of their decision.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

yoloer420 posted:

Avatar, that is most unseemly of you.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

yoloer420 posted:

That is bullshut if they do. I can see if you're spouting hate speech but a ban for swearing is nuts.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
This game may not be an MMO but they can ban you like one!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Why don't they have a swear word filter like any other game made in the last 20 years?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

2DCAT posted:

Why don't they have a swear word filter like any other game made in the last 20 years?

Didn't hit the stretch goal.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

2DCAT posted:

This was on their irc server. The decision is in, I will be unbanned from the pay to win MMO at the end of the month!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

yoloer420 posted:

This was on their irc server. The decision is in, I will be unbanned from the pay to win MMO at the end of the month!

You were banned from a video game for words said outside of a video game. What a time to be alive.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

yoloer420 posted:

What did you get banned for? Did you call Lord British gay? Give us the dirt!

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I got kicked for swearing, rejoined and called the admins a bunch of loving children.

They didn't enjoy that. I then joined their discord server and continued. Hilariously the bot they had set up to send messages between discord and irc was banned from irc due to swearing.

At one point I said EA did a better job with UO than Garriot did.

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 30, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

yoloer420 posted:

I got kicked for swearing, rejoined and called the admins a bunch of loving children.

They didn't enjoy that. I then joined their discord server and continued. Hilariously the bot they had set up to send messages between discord and irc was banned from irc due to swearing.

At one point I said EA did a better job with UO than Garriot did.

Stop insulting Lord British. No more warnings.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Oh, so you actually got banned for being a dick. Good job on lying in your original post.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

jabro posted:

Oh, so you actually got banned for being a dick. Good job on lying in your original post.

They cited swearing as the reason. Being a dick was likely why they enforced the rule.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Justice is my favorite virtue.

lethargical
Sep 21, 2010

Lethargy at it's best.
I backed this game sometime ago, surprising to see activity on Something Awful for the game.

Am I the only one who really dislikes their card / deck design system for combat?

I don't see the reasoning behind it and would have much rather preferred what other mmo's do.. That being skills and cooldowns on hotbars >.>"

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

lethargical posted:

much rather preferred what other mmo's do.. That being skills and cooldowns on hotbars >.>"

If you put one skill per slot on your hotbar it plays like a normal MMO.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Alexander DeLarge posted:

About $9 million.

my gawd you guys that is just....Amazeballs

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Gonna log in post wipe, right click the gates of my Lord of the Manor Mansion and proceed to clear the inn basement of rats and pests. Maybe I'll even pass over to the wooded area zone to kill giant spiders. Gonna be sweet getting that exp in offline mode cause who wants loving pleb peasants camping their spawns

Also can't wait for the Skyboxes DLC gonna be fuckin sweet oh man skyboxes dude

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

lethargical posted:

Am I the only one who really dislikes their card / deck design system for combat?

I don't see the reasoning behind it and would have much rather preferred what other mmo's do.. That being skills and cooldowns on hotbars >.>"

My biggest complaint about these themepark MMOs we've gotten for the last decade is how they basically throw you into a 50 hour tutorial for your character, when anyone with half a brain could hop onto a friend's character during a bathroom break and figure out how to play that character optimally in the 5-10 minutes they're provided. At least with the decks, there's purpose behind that and it isn't so basic.

Yeah sure, it introduces a bit of RNG into the whole thing which is not ideal at all for PVP but it's nice having a game where you benefit greatly from knowing your character inside and out. If they put some "weight" and "impact" behind the combat, I think it'd be amazing, but right now it's just floating numbers and generic animations.

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

I really can't wait for this game to release proper, so I can sit back and watch the drama wave consume us all.

But seriously, I played this for ten minutes today and it's really, really bad.

sulley
Aug 15, 2004

Not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

lolasaurusrex posted:

I really can't wait for this game to release proper, so I can sit back and watch the drama wave consume us all.

I think if any drama happens it would probably just be from the official forums. Most people here who have played the game have been pretty straightforward about it being not good.

Most of the positivity here has just been about RG, who probably deserves a pass for churning out a turd or two in his career.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
The last time I played this it had some wonky overworld junk and it was completely unfinished. Good to see nothing has changed in 2 years.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

lolasaurusrex posted:

I'd be surprised if there's any sort of drama wave.

This game is both very expensive and very bad; people who have spent money on a thing generally don't want to admit they were duped. See: every scam, cult, MLM, and snake oil out there. I'm no different - I once vehemently defended my purchase of Hellgate: London (no, not the lifetime subscription).

The people who have spent thousands on the game and can't get it back are going to continue to defend this game. It'll "launch" (the last character wipe is, what, in a month?), probably never leave alpha, and slowly bleed players / people. One by one, the whales will quietly realize they're not that special without any peons to lord over - and who would buy this game for the flat fee without housing? - and log in less and less. Content updates will involve more extras for purchase (buy this Valentine's rose for $15!), and less in-game work (we fixed a door! maybe!).

It'll be a perfect trickle of mediocrity all the way down.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The game design actually reminds me of a 3D Ultima 4.

You have an overworld plus separate instances for towns, basements and dungeons.

Similar dialogue system too :v:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Thursday Next posted:

I'd be surprised if there's any sort of drama wave.

This game is both very expensive and very bad; people who have spent money on a thing generally don't want to admit they were duped. See: every scam, cult, MLM, and snake oil out there. I'm no different - I once vehemently defended my purchase of Hellgate: London (no, not the lifetime subscription).

The people who have spent thousands on the game and can't get it back are going to continue to defend this game. It'll "launch" (the last character wipe is, what, in a month?), probably never leave alpha, and slowly bleed players / people. One by one, the whales will quietly realize they're not that special without any peons to lord over - and who would buy this game for the flat fee without housing? - and log in less and less. Content updates will involve more extras for purchase (buy this Valentine's rose for $15!), and less in-game work (we fixed a door! maybe!).

It'll be a perfect trickle of mediocrity all the way down.

This is a fair assumption, though I think since it's already accepted that this is a niche game for those who love Richard and Ultima so much they would accept even a weird unfinished tribute to it- The game is not dead from the perspective of the dedicated players until Richard Garriot loses interest, from my own experience having the guy who made your favorite RPGs talk to you and craft you an item is enough to keep it installed another week.

Drama would actually be terrible because if he lost interest in the project the four guys with 5000$ houses would be left defending it within a day.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
The game will be good. Richard Garriott is making it. The game will be good. Richard Garriott is making it. The game will be good.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Seems like Garriot lost his touch ever since he joined NCsoft.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
What this game needs is a skateboarding dog that's "hip" and "with it" to connect with and capture the youth market demographic.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

DancingShade posted:

What this game needs is a skateboarding dog that's "hip" and "with it" to connect with and capture the youth market demographic.

This

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that reference hits a little too close to home since Ultima 9 just ended halfway through with a blue screen that said THE AVATAR DIED ON THE WAY BACK TO HIS HOME PLANET

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Name. Job. Bye.

May fortune favor thee!!!

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

DancingShade posted:

I must go now..my planet needs me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there a set in stone release date yet?

Boo Boo Glass
Nov 13, 2015

I said come in! posted:

Is there a set in stone release date yet?

Short (and misleading) answer? No, there's no release date yet.

Longer (and more accurate) answer? Less than two months!

They still claim it's in "pre-alpha". They don't have a published plan, that I could find, that details how they're getting from that made-up state to an actual alpha, or beta, or launch. However, the last character wipe - as in, no more wipes, you can start playing your final actual character after this - is July 28th. So while the game may still change around you, your character and all of its equipment and abilities and housing will be permanent and live after July 28th.

Their own site has a hilarious fence-walk about this bullshit:

"Please understand that final wipe is not “launch”. We will continue to be working to finish the game’s story content well past final wipe, while we remain in Early Access. Until then, the game is neither “launched” nor complete, but as mentioned below, the concept of “launch” may not even be applicable to this development model. Launch will be when we pull the game out of Early Access and we start marketing / public relation campaigns to pull in new customers."

Enjoy your pre-alpha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

extra stout posted:

This is a fair assumption, though I think since it's already accepted that this is a niche game for those who love Richard and Ultima so much they would accept even a weird unfinished tribute to it- The game is not dead from the perspective of the dedicated players until Richard Garriot loses interest, from my own experience having the guy who made your favorite RPGs talk to you and craft you an item is enough to keep it installed another week.

Drama would actually be terrible because if he lost interest in the project the four guys with 5000$ houses would be left defending it within a day.

Yeah, fair enough.

If people enjoy this game, more power to 'em. I'm going to keep warning people off of it, particularly in light of the fact that it's less than two months away from "launch". I'm just sad that this is what we got, 9 million USD and 5+ years in.

• Locked thread