Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Taiso posted:

Once I embed a hero into an army can I break him out solo again?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

theDOWmustflow posted:

In Warhammer fluff, do the Vampire Counts and Von Carsteins have legitimate claim as prince-electors within the Empire (or whatever the Empire equivalent is to HRE electors)? Is peaceful co-existance within the realm of possibility or is the animosity akin to trying to befriend Chaos or the Greenskins?

Also it would be cool if the VC faction could "awaken" Empire elector states with the blood kiss.

Yeah if being an undead monstrosity isn't disqualifying, Vlad legitimately married into and claimed the titles and lands of the Elector Count of Sylvania and Mannfred is his heir

Peaceful coexistence might be a possibility, but the whole "undead monstrosity" thing and a pathological belief that those with the superior bloodline are destined to rule means that as a group they'd still be far more prone to treason and starting civil wars than the average Elector Count

But despite appearances the undead are definitely not as inimical to human life as Chaos or the Greenskins are- its noted that many peasants are cool with living in Sylvania because the taxes are low and the Counts keep public order well enough that despite their depredations life isn't really more brutal/dangerous than anywhere else, and the Tomb Kings (not in the game currently) are downright protective of all of their living descendants

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 5, 2016

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Rakthar posted:

That's what was being presented, summoning 6 zombies for 900. And my response was that the scenarios where 6 zombie units would help me materially win a battle that I otherwise couldn't seems very limited.

For sure speed is their number 1 issue (I just got into the habit of clicking x3 speed and watching zombies eat artillery until they finally crashed into the lines).

In my VC game I went heavy on vargheists, wolves and vargulfs. I had good success mixing zombies with that composition since all those fast units can obliterate your enemy but they run into issues against simple crap like spearmen or just getting out of position and swamped by 3 guys. My fights tended to involve vargheist groups starting at the ends of the combat line and working the way to the middle while wolves killed everything in the rear. And I did find that I could not win large battles without the zombies since my dps units get slaughtered in a straight-up fight.

I could see a different army composition, like one that is more fighty with grave guards and dark knights, not getting as much value out of zombies.

Also you keep mentioning 900 gold like this isn't a game where you regularly spend 2000g for a 100-200 income buff. If you spend 900 gold but the net impact is you save turns of 300g upkeep (more if we count skeleton upkeep as the alternative) that is a pretty decent ROI, and of course it gets much better the longer you wait before re-summoning.

Rakthar posted:

Seriously, post any campaign replay of your zombies doing cool poo poo I'm ready to believe.

I don't have time to redo a battle right now but I just reloaded a turn 44 save from my VC game. I'm sieging a dwarf castle with one medium army inside + their province defense and I've got 9 zombie stacks (2 commanders brought them), 4 vargheist stacks, 1 vargulf and 2 wolves. The zombies never do any cool poo poo but they stand in front of quarrelers and towers well enough. I also have about 5 skeleton stacks.

I recall raiding dwarves a lot around this time and I definitely recycled those zombies immediately afterwards since I'd spend the next turns cleaning up the smaller provs. And while I might have been able to make that fight work without the zombies they definitely gave me a lot of wiggle room.

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 6, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Started with VCs, took the starting army out on a jaunt all the way to Spain, settled down there. Lost home to Drakenhof on the way or whoever, but who cares, they're now stronger for bothering people over there while I move on to Tilea and south Bretonnia. The great migration was really viable and lots of fun!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

When I play multi I want to choose my lovely little starting guy so me and my bro can be together at the start

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Mister Adequate posted:

Started with VCs, took the starting army out on a jaunt all the way to Spain, settled down there. Lost home to Drakenhof on the way or whoever, but who cares, they're now stronger for bothering people over there while I move on to Tilea and south Bretonnia. The great migration was really viable and lots of fun!
Wow, interesting, I would like to hear more. Did just you just raid your way over?

Edit: Idea for a challenging VC campaign. Only ever raise troops through raise dead, recruiting is off limits!

cheese fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 6, 2016

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I like that they sectioned off Athel Loren on the campaign map as a wink and nod towards the Wood Elves. I can then roleplay grumble as Mousillon turns everyone into vampires and Archaeon burns everything while the elves do nothing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Did anyone save that agent effortpost someone did a few days ago? I don't see a link to it in the OP.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

cheese posted:

Wow, interesting, I would like to hear more. Did just you just raid your way over?

Edit: Idea for a challenging VC campaign. Only ever raise troops through raise dead, recruiting is off limits!

Nope, just hit March Stance on turn one, headed through the mountains so I got on ships by Border Princes, then sailed around to my destination and sieged it in a couple turns. Presumably it would be a lot tougher if the main army was at home rather than just having a garrison!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Mister Adequate posted:

Nope, just hit March Stance on turn one, headed through the mountains so I got on ships by Border Princes, then sailed around to my destination and sieged it in a couple turns. Presumably it would be a lot tougher if the main army was at home rather than just having a garrison!
And you captured the VC faction there right?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

cheese posted:

And you captured the VC faction there right?

No this is down south of them a ways, I hit the capital (can't remember the name, starts with M) of Estalia

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

No this is down south of them a ways, I hit the capital (can't remember the name, starts with M) of Estalia
Ah gotcha.
Edit: Just tried that and there was a full stack in the capital :/

cheese fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 6, 2016

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Aurubin posted:

I like that they sectioned off Athel Loren on the campaign map as a wink and nod towards the Wood Elves. I can then roleplay grumble as Mousillon turns everyone into vampires and Archaeon burns everything while the elves do nothing.

This is why dwarves are the best :colbert: They'll help out when poo poo gets rough.

I'm playing Vampires and me and my dorf bros hi five over the mountain of orc corpses we've made. I mean, yeah I've eaten the odd city of humans but they were all border prince assholes anyway.

:drac::hf::psydwarf:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

ZenVulgarity posted:

When I play multi I want to choose my lovely little starting guy so me and my bro can be together at the start

To play co-op multiplayer as the same race you need a mod, otherwise you can only have 1 player per race.

Legendary Lord Unique Start Position

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal
Protip: If you deploy an agent in a province you don't need to wait until next turn to undeploy him. Just have him queue up to move somewhere else next turn and it automatically undeploys him. This means you don't need to wait three turns to pack and unpack dudes in different provinces.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bad Moon posted:

This is why dwarves are the best :colbert: They'll help out when poo poo gets rough.

I'm playing Vampires and me and my dorf bros hi five over the mountain of orc corpses we've made. I mean, yeah I've eaten the odd city of humans but they were all border prince assholes anyway.

:drac::hf::psydwarf:

My VC win was inestimably helped by Omega Zhufbar with like four full provinces. They even contributed a half-stack to the showdown with Archaon in southern Kislev. :3:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

QuintessenceX posted:

Protip: If you deploy an agent in a province you don't need to wait until next turn to undeploy him. Just have him queue up to move somewhere else next turn and it automatically undeploys him. This means you don't need to wait three turns to pack and unpack dudes in different provinces.

idgi how does this differ from just moving him next turn and how do you ever have to wait three turns? Actually what does "pack and unpack dudes in different provinces" even mean

e: oh do you mean you can deploy two turns in a row? and doing this doesn't cancel the first deployment?

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 6, 2016

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Ravenfood posted:

Did anyone save that agent effortpost someone did a few days ago? I don't see a link to it in the OP.

This one about how to get 27k a turn with VCs using agents?

https://imgur.com/a/M8HOm#jbVKnrg

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Turn 80 as the Orcs and the whole of the badlands are almost mine, barring one or two Top Knot strongholds. Just got a message that the first Chaos Horde was stomped out in the north and I didn't have to lift a finger. Am I crazy or can I just raid and pillage northward from my cozy little corner until I win?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The mechanics of the Chaos campaign don't really fit the way Chaos feels when you're playing other factions, or how they're portrayed in the backstory.

Archaon and his posse are supposed to be a all-destroying horde pouring down from the north, out to destroy all civilization. Sure enough, this is pretty much what they feel like when you play other factions. At least I've been pretty intimidated by them so far.

But the mechanics when you play Chaos encourage you to keep to only one, maybe two, stacks, and avoid conflict whenever possible. After all, you don't need to defend any territory, to win you only need to eliminate Empire, Dwarves, and Bretonnia and not any of their subfactions.

I just finished my Chaos campaign, and I only ever had one stack. I spent most of the game avoiding and fleeing from enemy armies, and sniping at exposed settlements. After I finished razing the last settlement of the target factions, one of their subfactions immediately moved in and resettled, and I didn't give a poo poo. I just needed to destroy the Empire, I don't give a poo poo about Middenland, after all.

After I won, I didn't really feel like I razed all of the civilized world so much as dented it a little bit. Almost every region I razed had been resettled. I never was a unstoppable horde, just one very timid and tenacious army.

Yeah, it's fun and interesting to play, but it doesn't fit with what I'd expect Chaos to play like, is all.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Is there a way to continue quests in coop that require you to deploy an agent in a certain territory your human ally holds? I can't deploy in his territory in the badlands so I'm completely locked out of both of Mannfred's things.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Geisladisk posted:

The mechanics of the Chaos campaign don't really fit the way Chaos feels when you're playing other factions, or how they're portrayed in the backstory.

Archaon and his posse are supposed to be a all-destroying horde pouring down from the north, out to destroy all civilization. Sure enough, this is pretty much what they feel like when you play other factions. At least I've been pretty intimidated by them so far.

But the mechanics when you play Chaos encourage you to keep to only one, maybe two, stacks, and avoid conflict whenever possible. After all, you don't need to defend any territory, to win you only need to eliminate Empire, Dwarves, and Bretonnia and not any of their subfactions.

I just finished my Chaos campaign, and I only ever had one stack. I spent most of the game avoiding and fleeing from enemy armies, and sniping at exposed settlements. After I finished razing the last settlement of the target factions, one of their subfactions immediately moved in and resettled, and I didn't give a poo poo. I just needed to destroy the Empire, I don't give a poo poo about Middenland, after all.

After I won, I didn't really feel like I razed all of the civilized world so much as dented it a little bit. Almost every region I razed had been resettled. I never was a unstoppable horde, just one very timid and tenacious army.

Yeah, it's fun and interesting to play, but it doesn't fit with what I'd expect Chaos to play like, is all.

OTOH I finished my Chaos campaign with three stacks, having razed everything from Kislev to Sylvania to Brettonia

EthanSteele posted:

Is there a way to continue quests in coop that require you to deploy an agent in a certain territory your human ally holds? I can't deploy in his territory in the badlands so I'm completely locked out of both of Mannfred's things.

This sucks and so does your co-op buddy getting a quest to assassinate a greenskin character when the greenskins have been wiped out for at least 20 turns

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 6, 2016

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Some of the quest battles are actually really fun when you play them from the main menu with the default armies and not a full stack of turbo gods who wreck everything, especially when you don't know what to expect ahead of time.

Trying to deal with 4 stacks of fully upgraded Chaos Knights that show up as reinforcements behind your army just as you engage the main army as the Dwarfs when you start with very little in terms of armor-piercing is rather tricky! Thank god that Gyrocopters are so good. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pvt Dancer posted:

Choo choo! Off screen is another two full stacks of Skaeling.

Anyone have thoughts on Great Cannons vs Helstorm Rockets? I find the Great Cannons more difficult to use because they can't really shoot over your lines.

I just finished a 150 Empire Long Campaign and the sniping mertis of the Cannons aren't comparable to the sheer firepower of the helstorm rockets.

This obviously assumes you have ranged superiority. If you're facing Dwarves or Chaos dick artillery you'll struggle real bad and you'll need actual cannons. But versus Nords or Orcs Hellstorm is just spetacular.

Grab those magic sniping chariots for accurate long range shots. They almost never miss, they can fire above infantry units while giving them great defensive boosts.

Does starting a campaign with a specific Lord change it? Are you locked out of quests or special events? I want to start an Orc run but i don't know if choosing Grimgor locks me out of special events of the other Orc dude.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Hellstorms struggle against armoured troops and so arent good for late game armies.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
How are you guys using units like trolls and giants? Do you have them embedded in your frontline as tankers and linebreakers, or as flanking units?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I tend to have them behind the front line, to exploit small gaps that appear in it between units. Their small size is a good asset for this.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah I feel like Chaos is kind of reversed. Lore wise* norsca is a bunch of feuding tribes that occasionally get united by a leader/some chaos rear end in a top hat but currently it starts out with two chummy heavy hitters, and then the player can break them up into four "awakened" tribes that immediately start squabbling among each other

*I think, it's been awhile

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Captain Beans posted:

To play co-op multiplayer as the same race you need a mod, otherwise you can only have 1 player per race.

Legendary Lord Unique Start Position

It still seems like this mod has major issues judging from the (retarded) comments on the mod page, and currently has confederations disabled. Has anyone tried to use one of the "faction unlock" mods instead that supposedly support coop?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Don't forget ABW.

Always Be Waaaghing

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Any repercussions to the easy agents mod on the workshop? It just does what it says on the tin right?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

LGD posted:

But despite appearances the undead are definitely not as inimical to human life as Chaos or the Greenskins are- its noted that many peasants are cool with living in Sylvania because the taxes are low and the Counts keep public order well enough that despite their depredations life isn't really more brutal/dangerous than anywhere else, and the Tomb Kings (not in the game currently) are downright protective of all of their living descendants

That's what it was like under Vlad. Who had the advantages of being the best statesman of his bloodline, actually giving a poo poo about the peasants, his mortal predecessor being worse in both of these regards and the Empire having a hugeass civil war at the time, dragging down the averages to beat across the board. Sylvania under his successors is about as miserable a shithole as it can get in the Empire, though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Vlad was that guy who was smart enough to know humans were his meal ticket.

His kids, uh, not so much.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

theDOWmustflow posted:

How are you guys using units like trolls and giants? Do you have them embedded in your frontline as tankers and linebreakers, or as flanking units?

I keep trolls with my warboss because their leadership sucks. They can shred infantry if they're not anti-large, but they'll run from prolonged combats. I've also found sticking some leadership banners on them helps. Alternatively, use them as shock cav; charge in, wreck face, disengage and repeat, but that might be too micro-intensive.

Giants I like charging in from the flanks, terror makes their targets run off faster, letting me roll up the enemy line quicker. The giants also do friendly fire so you want to be careful about where they engage from, I've used them as additional frontliners before and they ended up killing a bunch of my boys alongside the enemy. Orcy as gently caress but not a winning strategy. :v:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Had my first siege battle. Orcs (Grimgor) attacked my main Dwarven settlement and I wrecked them at the walls, a pure slaughter. Somehow the orc units were routing through my lines toward the city and I couldn't stop them from moving through my units even though they were broken/shattered. Their shattered units somehow captured the city and I lost the battle despite almost no losses. I even had guys back in the "bastion" area and they still capped. And of course all my full strength units get killed to the last man as a result.

Awesome. Well I guess this is why saved games are a thing.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unzip and Attack posted:

Had my first siege battle. Orcs (Grimgor) attacked my main Dwarven settlement and I wrecked them at the walls, a pure slaughter. Somehow the orc units were routing through my lines toward the city and I couldn't stop them from moving through my units even though they were broken/shattered. Their shattered units somehow captured the city and I lost the battle despite almost no losses. I even had guys back in the "bastion" area and they still capped. And of course all my full strength units get killed to the last man as a result.

Brutally cunning.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I resettled a couple of ruined holds near the VC. Turns out that were ruined for a reason and the Corruption means I'm never going to be able to maintain public order (they're in separate provinces which makes it even worse).
But it's too late to back out now. I can't lose them without getting a Grudge telling me to take them back.
So I'm going to have to send armies to destroy the (neutral) vampires nearby to beat back the corruption. And then I'll have to keep going and wipe out all the vamps to stop them resettling the ruins. All over stubbornness in refusing to let go of a couple of level 1 settlements that should never have been built.

What I'm saying is that this is Dwarfy as gently caress. Grudge system working as intended.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
If anyone is worried about awakened tribes squabbling, just awaken the tribe and immediately attack them again the next turn. You'll get the option to subjugate them, which makes sure they never turn on you or any of your other subjugated buddies.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I just had Raise Dead turn skeleton spearmen into Graveguard with greatweapons because 3100 guys died between both sides of a siege. Vampires own.

Captain Ironblood posted:

If anyone is worried about awakened tribes squabbling, just awaken the tribe and immediately attack them again the next turn. You'll get the option to subjugate them, which makes sure they never turn on you or any of your other subjugated buddies.
Exactly this. Your first action as Chaos should be running from one end of the north to the other sack-razing and subjugating everyone so you don't have to come back and have loads of free replenishment a few turns' march away.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

I just had Raise Dead turn skeleton spearmen into Graveguard with greatweapons because 3100 guys died between both sides of a siege. Vampires own.

Exactly this. Your first action as Chaos should be running from one end of the north to the other sack-razing and subjugating everyone so you don't have to come back and have loads of free replenishment a few turns' march away.
Its worth noting that, at least on Hard, the other Norsca factions will continuously recapture these settlements once you leave. It took a lot of babying on my part to get 3 or 4 subjugated tribes up and running with a few settlements. Good use of War Targets helps.

Also, I'm really toying with the idea of trying a Hard campaign as VC where I have to only raise dead for units.

• Locked thread