Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'll try 079/080.

In the meantime I'll finish watching VOTOMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In the meantime, I've been watching 08th MS Team with subtitles. My first impressions are that, wow, the dub team did quite an accurate job translating the dialogue to english. Aside from a few simplifications, the two audio tracks are identical. Second, Shiro and Karen sound waaaay better in Japanese. Now, I liked Karen's VA in the english dub, but the Japanese Karen's sarcasm is so dry she leaves the english one yelling in the distance.

As for Shiro, I was never a fan of Steve Staley and his forced edginess voice. Japanese Shiro sounds like he could snap at any time and it's great. As for the rest of them, I'm ambivalent. I like English Elodore and Sanders better, and I have no strong opinion on Michel. Because gently caress Michel.

And just on a general note, thank god the Gundam franchise realizes there is more to the world than just Japan. I love the multinational nature of the casts.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 6, 2016

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Whelp, I just found this thing. On the one hand,the guy put tons of time visualizing and "designing" the drat thing,but on the other hand,he might juuust be a tad full of himself.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 6, 2016

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

VolticSurge posted:

Whelp, I just found this thing. On the one hand,the guy put tons of time visualizing and "designing" the drat thing,but on the other hand,he might juuust be a tad full of himself.

You should watch his 40 minute video on why the Destiny is a garbage MS design for maximum laughs. Granted, he brings up great points but they're almost made moot by his ego.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

You should watch his 40 minute video on why the Destiny is a garbage MS design for maximum laughs. Granted, he brings up great points but they're almost made moot by his ego.

He also spergs out about how the Impulse VS Freedom battle is really stupid. Lots of Jesus Yamato/Lacus Kline bashing. Worst thing is,he legit thinks Try is a good series. I know this because I've had the (mis?)fortune to be his friend on Steam.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Motto posted:

You can disagree with them, but it's pretty stuck up to think that anybody that liked Unicorn was tricked into doing so.

lmao it's not "stuck up" to acknowledge that a work is doing the time honored entertainment industry thing of heavy misdirection to cover bad writing. Do you think Unicorn is the first time that a work presented itself as having depth and then used explosions to hide that that was a lie?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

VolticSurge posted:

"NOTE: I am not yelling. My Voice is just Naturally Loud and I am also being VERY PASSIONATE at the same time."

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

why do so many people who talk about anime on youtube yell into a mic from twenty feet away

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Cable access commercial for a local used mobile suit lot.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

GulagDolls posted:

why do so many people who talk about anime on youtube yell into a mic from twenty feet away
Because stuff like a pop filter or proper audio mixing never crosses their minds.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

GulagDolls posted:

i do it on public access tv!

this is a joke

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Spelling Mitsake posted:

HOME OF CHALLENGE PISSING

gently caress YOU SIDE 5

muike fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 6, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VolticSurge posted:

He also spergs out about how the Impulse VS Freedom battle is really stupid. Lots of Jesus Yamato/Lacus Kline bashing. Worst thing is,he legit thinks Try is a good series. I know this because I've had the (mis?)fortune to be his friend on Steam.

You poor soul. What deluded opinion lead him to think Try was good?

Tunklord Supreme
Jun 4, 2011

dragon bong z

muike posted:

HOME OF CHALLENGE PISSING

gently caress YOU SIDE 5

solomon's filthiest, and exclusive home to the meanest sons of bitches in the principality of zeon

GUARANTEED!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

VolticSurge posted:

im friends with vf-kun and even i think you've made a mistake

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I'M ANTS IN MY EYES JOHNSON FROM ANTS IN MY EYES JOHNSON'S USED MOBILE SUITS

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
remember when kamille pulled a toy haro out of the equivalent of the earth sphere's dumpster and fa was like "what the gently caress dude"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tunklord Supreme posted:

solomon's filthiest, and exclusive home to the meanest sons of bitches in the principality of zeon

GUARANTEED!

I'm Ginias Sahalin and I'm crazy. Crazy for these rock bottom prices! If you find someone selling Apsalus, Zaku flight types, and Gouf customs cheaper, I'll kill their entire families!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tunklord Supreme posted:

GUARANTEED!

BRING YOUR BALL

BRING YOUR ZAKU

BRING YOUR HARO

WE'LL gently caress IT

THAT'S RIGHT!

WE'LL gently caress YOUR HARO

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Holy loving poo poo Sarah shooting through a ship while in its hangar to stop an assassination attempt was one of the greatest things I have ever seen.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You poor soul. What deluded opinion lead him to think Try was good?

Well, he claims that Yuuma is a "Suave ladies' man" Sekai is "funny and likable" and all of the fights are "intense and well-animated". Also,

muike posted:

im friends with vf-kun and even i think you've made a mistake

Who's vf-kun?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

... Yuuma being a 'suave ladies man' isn't accurate even if you're going by what the character's full intent is. He is a giant dork. That is the joke.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ImpAtom posted:

... Yuuma being a 'suave ladies man' isn't accurate even if you're going by what the character's full intent is. He is a giant dork.

don't you remember when he interacted with female characters in romantic fashion?? or interacted with any female characters at all??

VolticSurge posted:

Well, he claims that Yuuma is a "Suave ladies' man" Sekai is "funny and likable" and all of the fights are "intense and well-animated". Also,

Who's vf-kun?

he is strong and real and my friend and he wears a paper bag and /m/ thinks he's old

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

muike posted:

don't you remember when he interacted with female characters in romantic fashion?? or interacted with any female characters at all??

All I remember is him repeatedly going on about how Sekai's sister is hot,and barely interacting with her.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Off-topic, but all this talk about Gundam OVAs and stuff reminded me of how much I love F91. I can't even give a good explanation why, there's just something about it that resonates with me.

Really wish it had gotten a real ending. Crossbone isn't very good at following F91 (Cecily is an entirely different, much worse character, among other things).

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Midjack posted:

BRING YOUR BALL

BRING YOUR ZAKU

BRING YOUR HARO

WE'LL gently caress IT

THAT'S RIGHT!

WE'LL gently caress YOUR HARO

DON'T WAIT!
DON'T DELAY!
DON'T gently caress WITH US OR WE"LL RIP YOUR CHAR OFF!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
So I finished Zeta Gundam
-all these people i like are dead
-the theater scene was good
-kamille my buddy u ok

those last two episodes are so god drat exhausting. it was very very good, but god drat. i hear ZZ is very diversive, but that is suppose to be light right? I need something light.

You were wrong Mouar :smith:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
ZZ starts light and stays that way for a while. Then the Universal Century readjusts itself, sets its sights on Judau Ashta, and tries to gently caress over his life too.

But Judau doesn't get pushed around too easily.:getin:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In a perfect world I'd love to see a remastered dub for ZZ that brings back the 0079 Bright, just so he can be exasperated the whole time. But at the same time, animax Judau is amazing. I mean it, I think that he's legitimately good from what I've heard. He might sound like a thirty year old man in a 16 year old body, but the voice actor really puts everything into making Judau the angriest motherfucker in the solar system.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 6, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Shinjobi posted:

ZZ starts light and stays that way for a while. Then the Universal Century readjusts itself, sets its sights on Judau Ashta, and tries to gently caress over his life too.

That sounds good. I just want to be happy again.

Despite the anticlimactic nature of it and him being my favorite character, Jerid's death wasn't the one that hit me the hardest, it was a good way for him to go in terms of how he serve the story. But Katz death was like a gut punch to me. Like, he was a dumbass sometimes and would gently caress things up, but he was really a good kid.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

To be honest, though, it kind of does its job. ZZ can best be summarised as a bunch of happy-go-lucky kids very gradually realising that they live in the Universal Century, and it ain't getting better.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
gently caress YOU, A BAOA QU!

If you're dumb enough to buy a new prototype this weekend, you're a big enough schmutz to come to Big Anaheim Hell's Prototypes!

Bad Deals! Prototypes that break down!

If you think you're gonna find a bargain at Big Anaheim's, you can kiss my rear end!

It's our belief you're such a spacenoid motherfucker you'll fall for this bullshit, guaranteed!

If you find a better deal, shove it up your ugly rear end.

You heard us right; shove it up your ugly rear end!

Bring your Dom, bring your Zaku, bring your wife - we'll gently caress her!

That's right we'll gently caress your wife!

Because at Big Anaheim Hell's you're hosed six ways from Sunday.

Take a spacewalk to Big Anaheim Hell's, home of CHALLENGE PISSING!

That's right; CHALLENGE PISSING!

How does it work? If you can piss out an airlock in one long frozen unbroken piece, you get no down payment.

Don't wait, don't delay, don't gently caress with us!

Or we'll rip your Balls off!

Only at Big Anaheim Hell's, the only electronics dealer that tells you to gently caress off!

Hurry up, rear end in a top hat - this event ends the minute you write us a cheque!

And it better not bounce or you're a dead motherfucker!

Go to hell - Big Anaheim Hell's Prototypes. Home of the meanest sons of bitches in the Universal Century, guaranteed!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Darth Walrus posted:

To be honest, though, it kind of does its job. ZZ can best be summarised as a bunch of happy-go-lucky kids very gradually realising that they live in the Universal Century, and it ain't getting better.

Oh I totally agree! But what sets the ZZ crew apart from everyone else is that, as far as I can remember, they walk away from the war in better shape than just about every other crew that came before them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

lmao it's not "stuck up" to acknowledge that a work is doing the time honored entertainment industry thing of heavy misdirection to cover bad writing. Do you think Unicorn is the first time that a work presented itself as having depth and then used explosions to hide that that was a lie?

Are you gonna elaborate on any of that

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
victory spoilers

Well this was the funniest death scene since Gihren Zabi or Paptimus Scirocco. Rip Duker and Renda, too rad for this anime. Ride that sweet hog to your gently caress cabin in the woods

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kuvo posted:

victory spoilers

Well this was the funniest death scene since Gihren Zabi or Paptimus Scirocco. Rip Duker and Renda, too rad for this anime. Ride that sweet hog to your gently caress cabin in the woods

There's an even better one in Victory.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Chas McGill posted:

I'll try 079/080.

In the meantime I'll finish watching VOTOMs

If you like VOTOMS the closest thing in Gundam would probably be 08th MS Team despite its saccharine ending and Iron Blooded Orphans which has the advantage of you being ready to jump in on the hype train for Fall.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Droyer posted:

Yeah, i'm considering rewatching it as well. I'd want to get it on blu-ray first though.

So after saying this a while ago i've decided to finally start rewatching g-reco. It's fun! Knowing what's coming up + being able to watch episodes close together makes it far easier to follow.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ImpAtom posted:

There's an even better one in Victory.

Is that the one where the poor bastard gets clipped by a beam as the Gundam swoops by with no fucks given?