Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Herbotron posted:

I'm having a lot of fun playing solo. It's a good game, and popular enough that you're not going to be put against players much, much better than you very often.

This is good, TF2 from 2009 to 2011 was my favorite online game and this looks similar but I generally prefer quick public matches to the bother of making teams with strangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I use Reaper to counter McCrees and widowmakers. It's a very simple fact that flashbang has a travel time and wraith form is instant so just bait it out and watch as the scared low skill noob panics around your ghost body before you become corporeal and pop a round or two into his skull.

Widowmakers have a very serious case of the tunnel vision so you just run the outside edges before you teleport to her and give her the ol ghost shotgun till she's dead.

Playing against bad players does not mean the character is a good counter.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Of heroes I've played >5 hours on (post-beta), McCree actually has my lowest winrate (45%~). I just can't loving make the guy work when it comes to actually winning the game, for whatever reason, despite usually doing okay on eliminations/damage done. Conversely, I'm at something like 58% on S76 and Pharah. People just seem to take to different heroes better than others, for whatever reason.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The amount of terrible Reinhardt games I have had has led me to believe, assuming I am getting roughly the same pubbies whether I am Reinhardt or not, that either I am the only person carrying my team when I do not play Reinhardt, or I am terrible at Reinhardt.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I, however, cannot.

A good way to play McCree is do what other people don't and try to get good with the primary fire. It hits hard and very accurate but the slow rate of fire can throw you off. Stay ahead of the curve on that front. I still fan but only on tanks because the fan, shift, fan combo just destroys tanks outright (which is a bit much) and I save flashes for other offensive heroes or support. I go for headshots after a flashbang, though. The flash then fan combo is way too overpowered. It's a hard counter to everything.

I think he's a fun hero but he can counter anything the game throws at him with his flash and fan.

Any tips with Hanzo? Like when to use his sonar arrow? I save my E for tanks (which also saps them of all their health if you aim at their feet) but I'm really bad at timing when to use the sonar arrow to get a view of where people are coming from or where to use it.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Playing against bad players does not mean the character is a good counter.

I mean I guess you didn't read the part about having the only good ability to negate flashbang or the best toolkit to directly take on a widowmaker

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Vermain posted:

Of heroes I've played >5 hours on (post-beta), McCree actually has my lowest winrate (45%~). I just can't loving make the guy work when it comes to actually winning the game, for whatever reason, despite usually doing okay on eliminations/damage done. Conversely, I'm at something like 58% on S76 and Pharah. People just seem to take to different heroes better than others, for whatever reason.

What's the sample size? 58% to 45% is only 2 games going from win to loss if you've only played 16 games on that character.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The best tools to negate Flashbang are distance and/or reeling him in with Roadhog. If I know I can get the jump on Reaper, he won't have a chance to Wraith Form away. If I know I won't get the jump on him, I'll duel him at a range where I'll simply out-DPS him (if my shots are accurate).

piratepilates posted:

What's the sample size? 58% to 45% is only 2 games going from win to loss if you've only played 16 games on that character.

I don't have the client open at the moment, but S76 is at something like 6 hours (although I played a lot more of him in beta), and Pharah is at about 5.5 hours.

Admittedly, the way in which it calculates wins/losses for individual heroes may be biasing the numbers. I tend to go McCree as a secondary pick if the game's going downhill or if they've switched up to very tank heavy comps, which is likely a part of the low win percentage. Still, I generally feel more confident in my ability to contribute to a victory on S76/Pharah overall.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 6, 2016

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I mean I guess you didn't read the part about having the only good ability to negate flashbang or the best toolkit to directly take on a widowmaker

The best toolkit to take on widowmaker includes a time delayed teleport where the character is rooted for some amount of time and also announces his presence to the entire world upon use, all on a character who is totally ineffective past mid/close range.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
^^ are you bad at reaper or something??? Playing reaper isn't hard, I should know...

You don't get the jump on a good reaper I'm afraid because a good reaper isn't where you expect him to be

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snazzy Frocks posted:

You don't get the jump on a good reaper I'm afraid because a good reaper isn't where you expect him to be

If I hear his gigantic elephant footsteps clanking down a stairwell, I'm going to sit behind a corner, wait for him to tromp out, and then Flashbang and fan him before he has a chance to move.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Poe's law is giving me trouble here :(.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Vermain posted:

If I hear his gigantic elephant footsteps clanking down a stairwell, I'm going to sit behind a corner, wait for him to tromp out, and then Flashbang and fan him before he has a chance to move.

The same could be said about clinky spurs

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I don't understand this pub tendency to flail around completely ineffectually for like five or six minutes and then suddenly in overtime they all clump and push an objective as six while my own team trickles in to try and stop them but it's really loving annoying.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snazzy Frocks posted:

The same could be said about clinky spurs

Right, but I'm not the one who's roaming around trying to sneak behind people. I'm generally staying close to my team and watching common flanking routes. If I suspect someone is going to take one of them, I'll lie in wait in order to ambush them. If not, I'll keep my distance so that I don't get jumped from behind a corner and duel people at midrange.

Lady Naga posted:

I don't understand this pub tendency to flail around completely ineffectually for like five or six minutes and then suddenly in overtime they all clump and push an objective as six while my own team trickles in to try and stop them but it's really loving annoying.

The rolling deathball is a really depressing phenomenon. I can barely count the number of games where we've held completely solid on first point right into overtime, and then something happens, the entire team dies, we trickle back in one by one, and the game is over with a loss in the next two minutes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I use Reaper to counter McCrees and widowmakers. It's a very simple fact that flashbang has a travel time and wraith form is instant so just bait it out and watch as the scared low skill noob panics around your ghost body before you become corporeal and pop a round or two into his skull.

Widowmakers have a very serious case of the tunnel vision so you just run the outside edges before you teleport to her and give her the ol ghost shotgun till she's dead.

reaper still loses in close range to fan the hammer even without the flashbang tbh

not a lot can survive that, especially not the free second one you get off of the dodge

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Non-Flashbang Reaper vs. McCree at close range is mostly a matter of who's better at aiming, combined with whether McCree gets a good fan pattern or not.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I think the discussion already happened upthread but by god does this game need respawn waves for the defenders at least.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

The more I see people using winrate as a measure of success in casual play the more I want to play Symetra to launch you tryhards off cliffs.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Shy posted:

The more I see people using winrate as a measure of success in casual play the more I want to play Symetra to launch you tryhards off cliffs.

You're right, how dare people want to get an idea of their personal skill in the only queue currently available. Such tryhards.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

I think the discussion already happened upthread but by god does this game need respawn waves for the defenders at least.

I'm still kinda curious as to why they didn't go with respawn waves in the first place. My only guess is that it was either meant to make flankers like Tracer/Reaper who could sit in the back and pick off respawning players more effective, or meant to reduce the downtime of play (e.g. you get in at the tail end of the next wave and have to sit for 12 seconds or whatever). Right now, individual respawns are a massive hassle due to the overtime system (you can get weird synchronized respawns that extend overtime for minutes without end), and they also make pub play pretty miserable when the kill feed is 90% red.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

it'd be nice for both sides so you don't end up either trickling into a meat grinder one at a time or waiting around for your team to spawn like in a spawn wave anyway

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is there a trick to getting your bnet battle tag to appear on Master Overwatch? Have I not played enough hours? Does it only rank the top amount and so I'm just no good enough to show up?

On PC and confused

Make sure you are including the full battletag, i.e. ReApEr#0666. Then wait a bit and it will pull your info.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Manatee Cannon posted:

it'd be nice for both sides so you don't end up either trickling into a meat grinder one at a time or waiting around for your team to spawn like in a spawn wave anyway

For sure but I'm selfish and I just had a deathball game and I only want the game to appease me personally.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Man, there's nothing worse than playing Reinhart with a lovely pubby team that flat refuses to push into the point with you. Like, come on, I can plant my shield and win this thing for us, but only if you're there using it as cover to pick off the enemy team. I can't do poo poo if all five of you charge off into a hallway to die to Junkrat or a Hanzo ult.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Baby Babbeh posted:

Man, there's nothing worse than playing Reinhart with a lovely pubby team that flat refuses to push into the point with you. Like, come on, I can plant my shield and win this thing for us, but only if you're there using it as cover to pick off the enemy team. I can't do poo poo if all five of you charge off into a hallway to die to Junkrat or a Hanzo ult.

Please add flashing lights and obnoxious sounds to the shield so people will be attracted to it, not unlike moths.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Vermain posted:

Non-Flashbang Reaper vs. McCree at close range is mostly a matter of who's better at aiming, combined with whether McCree gets a good fan pattern or not.

reaper aims?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I finally saw my first salt tonight, the other team flipped their poo poo when they lost the payload portion of King's Row to 2x Torb + Bastion. The funny thing was they were just bad, like at one point I flanked their entire team with Torb and killed Widowmaker, McCree, and then ulted before they even noticed I was standing about 5 feet to the side of them.

Also had a couple amazing games with Mei. Holy poo poo when she clicks she clicks. Stopped the payload before it even reached the first checkpoint on Gibraltar in one game, and won a close Volskaya defense. She's so much fun.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you should be able to put sprays on shields

when the shield disappears, the spray should fall on the ground

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I ran into a Mei on Ilos who was hopefully new to the character. I didn't see an ice wall the whole match and she kept charging my Pharah. I got caught indoors beating her to a health pack once and punched her to death out of surprise, the rest of the time I'd just boost up then rocket her.

I also recorded a symmetra highlight where a soldier gets the drop on me in a hallway but I revved up the chainsaw and jumped over his head a few times while he tried to get a bead on me. Definitely makes me feel better about my own ":wtf: did I just do" moments.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Lol just got my first 15 kill streak... With symmetra

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I like that symmetra has an indicator on the gun that shows what level of damage you're doing with the chainsaw. That and I was not previously aware that the chainsaw amp carried on for a while after it's disjointed

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Countblanc posted:

It may have to do with how the site calculates win/loss. Symmetra has the highest ratio despite clearly not being the strongest hero in the game, likely because people switch off of her a lot of the time after losing the first point so she isn't really around to lose if the defense doesn't hold. I'm not sure how that would translate for D.Va exactly but it's possible something similar is going on, where people switch off of her after failing to push successfully.

Mercy is also the most-losing hero which I mean, c'mon, clearly the list isn't really worth taking as any sort of realistic tier chart or whatever. Without knowing the methodology behind it it's pretty much impossible to infer anything from any of the aggregate statistics.

My theory is that the only time people play Symmetra is to troll an opposing team which is manifestly terrible (this is deffo the case for me, and not coincidentally my Symmetra winrate is higher than any of my "serious" heros).

I mean the MMR system ought to ensure your overall win rate approaches 50% if you are e.g. consistently playing a particular hero for several matches. But some times you are going to go against harder groups and sometimes you are going to get paired against easier ones. If there is any correlation between which heroes people play against a serious group and which characters they play against derpos, that can skew the statistics significantly.

Overwatch is really prone to this kind of hero winrate skewing compared to other games since, for example, you don't lock in a particular hero or team comp before the match. For this reason, I think a lot of the statistics on Master Overwatch should not be taken at face value.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

That is literally what triple-buffered vsync does, it'd be like that in any game.

This game buffers for dropped frames as it is, it's core to the engine, so it's like a double effect when you have triple-buffering enabled even when your machine easily achieves 60fps stable. It's nuts.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Sanctum posted:

There's something fucky with the way overwatch is rendering.

Playing TF2 I was struck by how dramatically smoother mouselooking was compared to overwatch. I made a sample FRAPs recording of each game @ 60 FPS, both with in-game FPS capped @ 70 in windowed borderless, no vsync, raw input, no motion blur. I was going to step through the frames and see what was happening but I didn't even have to, the overwatch recordings were at 30 FPS. The game was reporting running at a steady 70 FPS while recording, but the playback is a little over 30 FPS. :tinfoil:

The difference in smoothness is visibly noticeable, the frames are not updating as fast as the reported framerate. Someone with different recording software should probably test this out.
I use v-sync on my 60Hz monitor and I get frame pacing wonkiness too. It's just dawned on me right now that I haven't updated my drivers, maybe, but there's definitely a lack of the true buttery-smoothness of a rock solid 60. I've also tried nVidia's adaptive v-sync (not G or Free, just the nVidia driver option) and turned v-sync off in-game, which I guess is what folks here would recommend in order to keep latency low?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

LiquidRain posted:

I use v-sync on my 60Hz monitor and I get frame pacing wonkiness too. It's just dawned on me right now that I haven't updated my drivers, maybe, but there's definitely a lack of the true buttery-smoothness of a rock solid 60. I've also tried nVidia's adaptive v-sync (not G or Free, just the nVidia driver option) and turned v-sync off in-game, which I guess is what folks here would recommend in order to keep latency low?

You don't need to use Vsync at all, there's a frame limiter option in-game. Use that instead.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Lady Naga posted:

My solution has just been to get into a higher MMR. Now solo queue is literally impossible so it doesn't matter :v:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 6, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Marxalot posted:

My solution has just been to get into a higher MMR. Now solo queue is literally impossible so it doesn't matter :v:

Max MMR is cool because you go against 3-4 stacks with people like internethulk and relic, and sometimes you beat them because you're alright and you have half a stack on your team too

and when you DO lose its your fault and you can feel confident in the knowledge that when you improve itll lead to more wins since your teammates are better htan you

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
my stacks mostly consistent of people picking incoherent messes and d.va and zenyatta and then complaining about them picking reinhardt/mercy/lucio/mccree/pharah/soldier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Protip: Shoot at the Reinhardt until he dies.

Doesn't always work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gRUzl4S2lU