Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

DreadLlama posted:

I love how a thread started by the QA team has a typo in the title.
You know you're in good hands. :v:

Also, Isinona is back with a new video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSQgGzo2S6Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

TomR posted:

Yes, a bunch of us are having problems.

Yeah, just fired up the launcher again and it's reporting that there are indeed server issues. At least Frontier knows about it.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Three times in a row I've been unable to turn in missions because nothing showed up on the destination mission board. A couple hours of effort for a million credits I didn't get, a bunch of rare materials i didn't get, and some reputation lost :frontear:

There's a bug that keeps you from being able to turn in missions if you don't have the same amount of cargo space free as the amount of cargo that you're delivering. But I had more than enough free space, so there appears to be something else going on too.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tippis posted:

It's not just FDev and their old-school-gaming cohort that confuse obtuse and obstructive UI and controls with actual complexity and in-game opposition, so where on earth did all of them get that idea?

All the players across all genres who unironically insist that inconvenience = Immersion/Pro Hardcore Difficulty.

Such as, weapon durability in 99% of games with it. When eve in in :darksouls: it's just there to pad poo poo out with a speedbump inconvenience at most.

I've even seen people bitch about standardized weapons pricing in a co-op horde shooter as "Ruining immersion and roleplay opportunities". Because they can just easily glance at the scoreboard and know how many wads of :10bux: to physically hurl at their teammates so they can afford a bigger gun.

Nevermind that you are buying as microwave gun from an airdropped 3D printer, to fight a 100 year old Cyborg Nazi, with your cryogenically frozen WW2 soldier teamed up with a Ren Faire enthusiast and punk rocker. No, it's QoL changes that "Ruin immersion and realism" :v:

They don't care about quality or reason, they just care if something is a hurdle. Because more hurdles = More Pro MLG hardcore gamer! Even if all that is is pausing the game to smash two guns together like a caveman from your backpack full of laser rifles, because your durability dipped into damage debuff territory again.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Durability is usually intended to be a money sink, you're right though that many games do not have their sinks thought out too well (usually way too many faucets).

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

radintorov posted:

Also, Isinona is back with a new video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSQgGzo2S6Q
The dude is a lunatic. Nice to see he's still having fun, though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Section Z posted:

All the players across all genres who unironically insist that inconvenience = Immersion/Pro Hardcore Difficulty.

Such as, weapon durability in 99% of games with it. When eve in in :darksouls: it's just there to pad poo poo out with a speedbump inconvenience at most.

I've even seen people bitch about standardized weapons pricing in a co-op horde shooter as "Ruining immersion and roleplay opportunities". Because they can just easily glance at the scoreboard and know how many wads of :10bux: to physically hurl at their teammates so they can afford a bigger gun.

Nevermind that you are buying as microwave gun from an airdropped 3D printer, to fight a 100 year old Cyborg Nazi, with your cryogenically frozen WW2 soldier teamed up with a Ren Faire enthusiast and punk rocker. No, it's QoL changes that "Ruin immersion and realism" :v:

They don't care about quality or reason, they just care if something is a hurdle. Because more hurdles = More Pro MLG hardcore gamer! Even if all that is is pausing the game to smash two guns together like a caveman from your backpack full of laser rifles, because your durability dipped into damage debuff territory again.

I find it's mostly people who already have all the shiny toys in whatever game that don't want other people to get them because it gives them a sense of achievement and elitism.

If you can make the road of progression fun of course then that's wonderful... but like you say a lot of people confuse not-fun hurdles with actual good game design.

I like a lot of the old-school feel to Elite but I blame the awful progression more on the very slow travel times (upwards of 20 minutes at the keyboard to reach a station 400k LS away? how fun!) than on the rewards per se. If we could spam and complete missions just as fast in classic elite with speed acceleration then it wouldn't be nearly as bad.

Of course with the multiplayer aspect required we'll never see that convenience return.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

TheresaJayne posted:

I absolutely love the in ship entertainment, Simon on the left side of the console

Hey thanks man :) I believe that was a goon suggestion from the SC thread. If you have any, let me know. I'm looking to clutter up the in-flight systems with unconscionable amounts goof ball poo poo.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Angrymog posted:

I was scanning the Elite screenshots before thinking to click on Toop's video. :(

Toops, I have a question - do the procedural birds work yet?

No procedural birds yet ._.

I'm in the middle of an engine swap. Unity just wasn't cutting it, so I ported the assets and re-wrote the flight model in Unreal Engine 4. The difference in visual/rendering quality is pretty mind blowing. Unfortunately, going to C++ from C# causes undue pain and sorrow.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Toops posted:

Hey thanks man :) I believe that was a goon suggestion from the SC thread. If you have any, let me know. I'm looking to clutter up the in-flight systems with unconscionable amounts goof ball poo poo.

Needs more personailization. Fuzzy dice, window garfields, neon signs. Go watch Hot Shots for inspiration.

I have a Frog model if you need one.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Toops posted:

Unfortunately, going to C++ from C# causes undue pain and sorrow.
Duh. Backspace, +, +.

It's like you don't even know anything about game development.

Signed Ben Lesnick, Developer.

edit: by Ryan Archer.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Toops posted:

Bobbleheads, post-it notes half obscuring important readouts, cracked multifunction displays, thick dust, faded button labels, excessive (like crazy amounts) of blinking lights and lots of useless stuff like a continual sine wave displayed for no reason.

Oh and random sparks flying from anything electrical.

Also: What if the ship readouts changed language randomly on damage? Suddenly your speed readout says "속도". Oh poo poo...

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 6, 2016

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

DancingShade posted:

Bobbleheads, post-it notes half obscuring important readouts, cracked multifunction displays, thick dust, faded button labels, excessive (like crazy amounts) of blinking lights and lots of useless stuff like a continual sine wave displayed for no reason.

Also: What if the ship readouts changed language randomly on damage? Suddenly your speed readout says "속도". Oh poo poo...

Those are all amazing. I was definitely making some custom particle systems tonight for sparking, lovely, malfunctioning electronics.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Toops posted:

You could add a CasioTone Calculator ....

Not only did everyone have one of these calculators at school, it was used to make the song Da Da Da....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNYcviXK4rg

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

quote:

daubed with Rastafarian symbols, Lions of Zion and Black Star Liners, the reds and greens and yellows over-laying wordy decals in Cyrillic script. Someone had sprayed Maelcum’s pilot gear a hot tropical pink, scraping most of the overspray off the screens and readouts with a razor blade. The gaskets around the airlock in the bow were festooned with semirigid globs and streamers of translucent caulk, like clumsy strands of imitation seaweed

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

DancingShade posted:

You basically just described Spaceteam, and I strongly recommend you and everybody reading this get it for your smartphones immediately.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I'm trying to do Engineers stuff but I have literally no idea how.

I guess I'd eventually like to unlock/level everyone, but I've decided on FSD jump range from Elvira Martuuk as a good first goal.

I'm currently in my old Robigo Asp and I apparently need to refit it to be able to do what it needs to do, go to Ngurii to buy Soontil Relics to unlock Elvira, then go gather Arsenic, Atypical Disrupted Wake Echoes and Chemical Processors (as well as Praseodymium, Selenium, Yttrium, Modular Terminals, Anomalous FSD Telemetry, Chemical Distillery, Energy Grid Assembly, Chemical Manipulators, Polonium, Strange Wake Solutions and Magnetic Emitter Coils for the higher grade stuff.)

1. What fit should I use? Is an Asp Explorer good to be doing this in or should I jump in something else? Money is no object as most of my playtime to date has been spent in Robigo.
2. How can I tell where to find the things I need to mine, both in space and on the surface?
3. Where can I find high wakes to scan?
4. Where can I find transport ships to salvage?
5. Are there any particular missions that award Modular Terminals?

This whole system is completely confusing and unintuitive and I can't find a guide anywhere that explains in baby steps what I should do.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 6, 2016

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

nene posted:

I'm really new to the game, and already starting to get pretty disillusioned by this. I've been receiving interdiction attempts pretty much since I started flying the tin can Sidewinder. Earlier today, I was flying back empty, an interdiction succeeded, and I was jumped by three pirates. Now I'm pretty awful at combat, fail to get away, and about two minutes later I'm contemplating the insurance payment.

This was exactly my experience, although it seems to be limited to a specific system. I'm probably going to play some more today and see if I avoid that system if I can engage in some normal gameplay.

I mean, I'm in the stock Sidewinder with a fuel scoop (although I did add a mining laser and a refinery later because why not I guess?) and in this one system I will get interdicted by a pirate I guess? I don't even know how to tell who/what they are really. Anyway I do the thing in the OP where I submit and then boost/fly like a crazy person (I tried to fight once but their ship is too agile for me to get it in my sights so it's pretty much impossible) and generally I can get back into supercruise before my shields are gone. Anyway, on my way to my in system destination I get interdicted one or two more times, and they even follow me to the system. They didn't scan me or anything they just start shooting straight away. I mean, I get that it's a really determined pilot and that's kind of cool, but they seem really interested in my lovely ship without anything of value on board!

I thought this might be the normal business and was pretty disappointed, but I guess it sounds like this is unusual so I'll just see if I can play around it until they get things fixed.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I actually like the travel aspect of elite in a way, it makes the galaxy seem appropriately huge, but it definately needs to be more profitable in fun/spacebux and/or for there to be a more instant gratification alternative available when you log in.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

I guess I'd eventually like to unlock/level everyone, but I've decided on FSD jump range from Elvira Martuuk as a good first goal.

I'm currently in my old Robigo Asp and I apparently need to refit it to be able to do what it needs to do, go to Ngurii to buy Soontil Relics to unlock Elvira, then go gather Arsenic, Atypical Disrupted Wake Echoes and Chemical Processors (as well as Praseodymium, Selenium, Yttrium, Modular Terminals, Anomalous FSD Telemetry, Chemical Distillery, Energy Grid Assembly, Chemical Manipulators, Polonium, Strange Wake Solutions and Magnetic Emitter Coils for the higher grade stuff.)

1. What fit should I use? Is an Asp Explorer good to be doing this in or should I jump in something else? Money is no object as most of my playtime to date has been spent in Robigo.
2. How can I tell where to find the things I need to mine, both in space and on the surface?

This whole system is completely confusing and unintuitive and I can't find a guide anywhere that explains in baby steps what I should do.

1. An Asp is fine. Just give it cargo space, an A-rank FSD, and maybe some guns or something. Collector limpets are a good idea, too. Swap out the rest of your slots based on what you're currently doing.
2. It's the same as normal mining. Engineers didn't add some new entirely separate method of mining, it's just that regular space and surface mining now drop engineer materials in addition to their usual drops.
3. Uh, you have noticed all the NPC ships that fly around the game, right? Wait around somewhere they tend to leave (like a station) and wait for one to wake. Or just attack a weak NPC literally anywhere and hope it tries to run away when you beat it up, then let it run and scan its wake after it leaves.
4. Pretty much anywhere in the bubble? Check unidentified signal sources, or just fly around murdering random Type-6s and Type-7s.
5. No. Missions are randomly generated.

Your problem is that you're expecting all this Engineers stuff to be new systems, when most of it is just "do everything you already usually do, except now you get materials for it.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Jack the Lad posted:

Asp is fine for most of the work, excluding having to shoot ships down for their loot. You could potentially roll in a Python.

Massive spreadsheet. and obtuse mat finder. Junga apparently is a decent system to find stuff and Shinrarta Dezra A1 has some.
Timbalderis b 1 (polo and vanadium and Gitsaugusi c 7 (niobium and yttrium) .
CALIFORNIA SECTOR DL-Y D4 C 6
But it's a bloody chore.
Follow long bands to find them apparently.

Literally outside of any starbase where ships are warping out. Also scanning ships gives you some of the other types of data. Encoded data USS has some as well. Old firmware I think comes from items you scan on planet surfaces or data bouys.

Their flaming wrecks you leave behind (USS convoys) or USS points.

No but high tech worlds tend to drop them more.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I actually like the travel aspect of elite in a way, it makes the galaxy seem appropriately huge, but it definately needs to be more profitable in fun/spacebux and/or for there to be a more instant gratification alternative available when you log in.

They made something specifically for instant combat fun - the arena mode. Only it doesn't pay out at all and they completely abandoned it right away.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Hey, I remember seeing a list of high-value exploration systems at some point - I have a friend who needs an exploration rankup for an Engineer access and we need to grab a quick ~150K CR worth of exploration data, preferably near Deciat. Any tips?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Drake_263 posted:

Hey, I remember seeing a list of high-value exploration systems at some point - I have a friend who needs an exploration rankup for an Engineer access and we need to grab a quick ~150K CR worth of exploration data, preferably near Deciat. Any tips?

Try any system with a decent population that you don't have system data for yet. Chances are that it'll have at least one “world” of some kind; possibly even an earth-like.

On a related note, though, has anyone figured out the breakdown for the optional bounty, trade, and exploration data requirements for the various Engineer ranks? I handed in a mere 750k worth of exploration data that I had gathered while zipping around to find the commodities required to unlock the obvious ones, and it sent me straight from rank 0 to 3.6 or so. If that's the pattern for the rest of the progression, the exploration Engineers are almost silly easy to please…

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

Drake_263 posted:

a quick ~150K CR worth

lurking the Citizen thread has me reading Chris Roberts for credits

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Hey, launch 4 billion whatever lotto winner checking in, also author of the great palladium jettison in front of the Monkey hangout. I haven't played the game since last year, is it fun again? I got bored stiff of the 'warp to random belt grind rats for bounties'. I think I had a Vulture when I quit.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The game has some interesting NPCs right now.

How much cash do you have? Do you have a moment to hear about Kermit our lord and saviour?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

TTerrible posted:

The game has some interesting NPCs right now.

How much cash do you have? Do you have a moment to hear about Kermit our lord and saviour?

Don't remember, and .. lol. Does the turn off everything fly blind into the mailslot still work when you accidentally shoot the police in a belt and need to get into the station? God, I haven't played since well before horizons was released.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

TehSaurus posted:

This was exactly my experience, although it seems to be limited to a specific system. I'm probably going to play some more today and see if I avoid that system if I can engage in some normal gameplay.

So I did play some more yesterday, and it seems like at any given time a system either has a pirate rear end in a top hat or doesn't, so I just am electing not to do anything in systems with rear end in a top hat NPCs until I have a ship capable of blowing them up.

I'm still having a good time trying new stuff in my Freewinder. I did another courier mission, scanned some stars, and also went mining in an asteroid belt, which apparently is a dumb thing to do but whatever I'm still just figuring out how to do stuff in this game about space so I don't mind. I am getting better at flying and docking and stuff so that's at least something. A dumb question about exploration data, say I have exploration data for Kini or some dumb system - if I get far enough away from it can I sell the data for money? I think that's what the UI is telling me, but it seems dumb that I would be able to do that.

Also what's 'The Bubble'?

Also also, I've been fooling around on the ship fitting page thing, and it's helpful to get a feeling for what ships can do, but if I want to understand/improve a ships turn rate is there any way that is represented beyond the agility field? Is there any way it can be improved?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The bubble refers to the bulk of human occupied space. It's roughly 200LY radius around Sol, encompassing about 150,000 systems.

There are a few human settlements outside the bubble, so it can be quite profitable to head out to these and do missions (pay scales with distance, and they're far away from everything else).

First Tube
Apr 25, 2010

From this day on I'd have to fight these forces of darkness and deal with the burden of day to day admin.
I am thinking about getting back into this game.

To make money quick should I just focus on trading goods and smuggling? I enjoyed doing bounties but it didn't seem like the money was really there when I played this game last (about a year ago). My ultimate goal is to get my hands on something with a bit more power than the Eagle I current own and wreck some fools.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TehSaurus posted:

A dumb question about exploration data, say I have exploration data for Kini or some dumb system - if I get far enough away from it can I sell the data for money? I think that's what the UI is telling me, but it seems dumb that I would be able to do that.

Also what's 'The Bubble'?

Also also, I've been fooling around on the ship fitting page thing, and it's helpful to get a feeling for what ships can do, but if I want to understand/improve a ships turn rate is there any way that is represented beyond the agility field? Is there any way it can be improved?

You don't lose exploration data when you sell it. It's basically just free money for scanning systems, you don't lose anything but the time you spent scanning.

The "bubble" is a popularly used term for human-populated space. There are a few stations outside the bubble, like Robigo and Sothis, but most of the populated systems are pretty clustered together in one big 200ly-wide blob.

Upgrading your ship's thrusters will increase its mobility, including its turn rate. Mass is also a factor; piling on heavy modules or loading up a couple hundred tons of cargo will noticeably affect handling.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Jack the Lad posted:

To add to what's already been said, check here to see the engineers, their requirements, the blueprints and their components, in one easy to access place. In particular for the components, it'll say where you can expect to find them.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Is there an English description of what each of the attributes affected by engineers modules does/means?

eg, "Clean/Dirty Drive Tuning" have two sub attributes called "optimal multiplier" and "optimal mass." The latter is familiar but not the former.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Chrysophylax posted:

To add to what's already been said, check here to see the engineers, their requirements, the blueprints and their components, in one easy to access place. In particular for the components, it'll say where you can expect to find them.

To add to this: note in particular the alternative ways of increasing rank. No need to hunt for odd bits and bobs just to sacrifice them on lower-tiered upgrades to get those rank-ups. Just go the regular, easily available route of trading/bounty hunting/exploring instead.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

DreadLlama posted:

Is there an English description of what each of the attributes affected by engineers modules does/means?

eg, "Clean/Dirty Drive Tuning" have two sub attributes called "optimal multiplier" and "optimal mass." The latter is familiar but not the former.

As far as I understand it, multiplier is how much faster your ship will accelerate and optimal mass is the mass that your thrusters work best with. It really seems to me that Dirty Drive Tuning will be better for almost all combat fits, except where heat build-up is a major concern. Clean Drive Tuning seems best for traders and explorers, who won't be building up heat with weapons fire.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Tippis posted:

To add to this: note in particular the alternative ways of increasing rank. No need to hunt for odd bits and bobs just to sacrifice them on lower-tiered upgrades to get those rank-ups. Just go the regular, easily available route of trading/bounty hunting/exploring instead.

Except that ranking up Tod with bounties seems bugged right now.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

BMan posted:

Except that ranking up Tod with bounties seems bugged right now.

Oh well, that sucks. But who needs multi-cannons anyway? Right? Right…?
Still, for those that do work, it's still a hellalot more sensible way than to actually do the upgrade grind.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I think that farseer chica is the only one you can rank without grinding. Unless I'm missing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Ambaire posted:

Hey, launch 4 billion whatever lotto winner checking in, also author of the great palladium jettison in front of the Monkey hangout. I haven't played the game since last year, is it fun again? I got bored stiff of the 'warp to random belt grind rats for bounties'. I think I had a Vulture when I quit.

Hey, you were the guy that got that 5 billion credit bug, right? I still don't have anywhere close to that. :gonk:

Welcome back. As with most games, goons are what make it fun. I couldn't imagine playing this game without someone giving me direction, but it's that direction that makes it worthwhile. Definitely hop into the PGS thread to get a better sense of what we're doing.

• Locked thread