Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Not all bookreaders have fallen for the LSH hype.

Unrelatedly: this episode has just made sure that Cersei won't explode Olenna at the end of this season. Meaning, we'll probably get Cersei vs. Olenna+Ellaria early next season. The War of the Three Queens is on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

meristem posted:

Not all bookreaders have fallen for the LSH hype.

Unrelatedly: this episode has just made sure that Cersei won't explode Olenna at the end of this season. Meaning, we'll probably get Cersei vs. Olenna+Ellaria early next season. The War of the Three Queens is on!

Add Sansa in the north and Dany+Asha/Yara in the East and we got ourselves the Ghostbusters remake of the war of the five kings!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Fantastic cold open. Wonderful way to reintroduce the Hound.

More directing like this, and GOT will be truly great again.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Someone on Reddit noticed that "Arya" used her right hand to do everything in this scene. Arya has always been left handed and it is an important enough detail that Maisie Williams trained herself to be left handed for the character back when she got the part.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Someone on Reddit noticed that "Arya" used her right hand to do everything in this scene. Arya has always been left handed and it is an important enough detail that Maisie Williams trained herself to be left handed for the character back when she got the part.

god dammit this show

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

CytotoxicTrev posted:

That episode kicked rear end! It was great seeing the Hound back, and it was cool seeing 10 year old Lady Mormont. I think 62 troops from Bear Island was more of a symbolic victory, really. The dude from House Glover really shut them down, though. Do you all think Sansa was sending the letter to Littlefinger to ask for help from the Knights of the Vale after all?
Yes, pretty obviously. She was clearly portrayed as being very conflicted about writing that letter, and there's nobody else who both has the kind of military power that she needs and whom she could plausibly ask for help that would make her feel that uneasy.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Yes, pretty obviously. She was clearly portrayed as being very conflicted about writing that letter, and there's nobody else who both has the kind of military power that she needs and whom she could plausibly ask for help that would make her feel that uneasy.

I realllllyyyyyy hope it's the Manderlys and she is conflicted to make the audience think she is asking Littlefinger because she is acting against Jon's orders. Otherwise it's so on the nose that .... oh gently caress, I'm talking about the show not the book right?

Aaaaaanyway, why did they make NotAsha lesbian? Just to fill some Hollywood quota?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yara is lesbian because she's a merger of Asha and Victarion, so she has to hit on Dany, obviously.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I know I bitch a lot about the show's sense of distance but drat, Yara & Theon just straight up sailed halfway around the world between episodes.

Ian McShane bringing some emotional variety to the show was great.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I never would have thought that this show would recover this way. I figured it would either be a straight downward trajectory or a new, improved direction from the start of the season.

That said they seem to be solving their problem with content creation in a fairly ingenious way. Going about 3 pages into The Winds of Winter, backtracking over the rest of the existing books and then jumping right to the end of the A Dream of Spring; Turning the last available GRMM material (and known plot points like The Battle of Winterfell/Mereen) into a fully fledged climax. This is the best possible outcome really because the bulk of the remaining books (should they ever be released) will be unspoiled and the ending may turn out to be completely different anyway.

Characters like Littlefinger and Varys will come out the worst though. They've had years of characterisation set up for something they're supposed to do in books 6/7 and they're going to have one moment of action and then die like any other supporting cast member.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 6, 2016

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

She did 2 things!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
If Arya was meant to be dead now, they'd actually show it. She's far too popular and "important" for them to do a Stannis.

A really good episode. The lack of Ramsay is a major plus.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I hate the pacing of this loving show.

Some cool stuff happened. I was entertained. I still hate that this is a show where characters are introduced in a cold open and are dead by the time credits roll. That's loving lame. The rate at which people are introduced to die is loving lame. The unwillingness to slow the god drat plot down because D&D want to be done with the show is loving lame! This episode was entertaining, and would have been better if most of the things that happened, took place over an episode or two more. God drat.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

If Arya was meant to be dead now, they'd actually show it. She's far too popular and "important" for them to do a Stannis.

A really good episode. The lack of Ramsay is a major plus.

No way she dies this season IMO.

hemophilia posted:

I hate the pacing of this loving show.

Some cool stuff happened. I was entertained. I still hate that this is a show where characters are introduced in a cold open and are dead by the time credits roll. That's loving lame. The rate at which people are introduced to die is loving lame. The unwillingness to slow the god drat plot down because D&D want to be done with the show is loving lame! This episode was entertaining, and would have been better if most of the things that happened, took place over an episode or two more. God drat.

The books needed speeding up. By the end of the books there's no real solution in site it's just more convoluted. Everyone had theories but by the end of the books Sansa is stuck in the vale, Arya is in Bravos, Dorne are still farting around, Jon's dead. Bran is still a tree, theon is only just getting his balls back, Dany is making GBS threads in a desert and Jaime's wandering off in the jungle, there's a new player on the scene just landing in Westeros and the majority of characters we see a POV of, while they've grown a lot are no closer to a conclusion and while that's fine for an epic book series, the show has to have an end point. Even if they do two more full seasons that's going to be 8 years. Longer than most shows, let alone HBO shows run.

At least at this rate but the end of the season you would think we have the final stage set for the battle for the iron throne and a set up for the battle with the white walkers that we've been waiting for forever that should have a conclusion after that. They're setting up the final two seasons really well for a change. It's almost as if following the pacing of the books was a detriment. It kind of explains why last season sucked so much. There's was too much they had to touch on to make the story make sense. They are better off doing what they're doing. The hound reveal was a good one and the way his character was still angry, still seething and still the same guy albeit a bit quieter at this point was a good move.

Yeah seeing Ian McShane introduced and dead in the same episode kind of sucked, but what, you wanted a 5 episode arc where the Hound cries a little bit, seethes a little bit and we end up in the same place? GRRM jerks everyone around too much. Throwing the source material away and getting the pieces in place as well as they can has worked out pretty well. This is the best season since season 3 imo.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

BlindSite posted:

At least at this rate but the end of the season you would think we have the final stage set for the battle for the iron throne and a set up for the battle with the white walkers that we've been waiting for forever that should have a conclusion after that.

This is an insane opinion. There is gently caress all going to be going on with the Iron Throne by the end of the season. The show will have made almost no progress compared to the books. The way the show is behaving now there might as well not be any more books or seasons. Just tie a loving ribbon on the thing and kill everybody off.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

That was probably one of the best episodes the show has ever done, and thats saying something.

Loved McShane too. I'm hoping they've started a trend with him and Richard E Grant in that they'll cast high profile actors for short but memorable roles.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Why does Davos suddenly know the 'Night King' by name? I thought prior to this the only two characters who mentioned him explicitly were Bran and Benjenhands?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Drunk in Space posted:

Why does Davos suddenly know the 'Night King' by name? I thought prior to this the only two characters who mentioned him explicitly were Bran and Benjenhands?

The Night King is the stuff of legend, Jon saw a walker with an icy crown at Hardhome so it's not inconceivable that he'd refer to him as such, I mean, obviously it's more of a script convenience but it's not unreasonable.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

kater posted:

This is an insane opinion. There is gently caress all going to be going on with the Iron Throne by the end of the season. The show will have made almost no progress compared to the books. The way the show is behaving now there might as well not be any more books or seasons. Just tie a loving ribbon on the thing and kill everybody off.
The gently caress no progress. By the end of the season, in comparison to the books:
- Stannis will be dead
- Jon will be resurrected
- Winterfell will have been retaken, and Sansa and Littlefinger will be in it
- Bran will be back at the Wall, with some major intelligence about the White Walkers
- Dany will be done with Meereen
- Cersei will wildfire the High Sparrow, Margaery et al.
- Arya will be back in the Riverlands
- the Brotherhood will be destroyed.

The only plots that will be around their book endings will be Jaime/Brienne's, Sam's, Dorne's and Euron's. And next season's major conflicts (Dany vs. Euron, Olenna and Dorne vs. Cersei, Arya vs. the Freys) will be all set up.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Drunk in Space posted:

Think about how extremely generic "Night King" is. If the forces of the Long Night had a leader, what else would modern people call him? It's not like he said "King Ahumashabuzzer is coming!"

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

That last Arya scene was terrible. She was attacked by a "professional" assassin who didn't know or care to make sure that her target was dead. And no I'm not counting glancing into the water for five seconds.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Lycus posted:

Think about how extremely generic "Night King" is. If the forces of the Long Night had a leader, what else would modern people call him? It's not like he said "King Ahumashabuzzer is coming!"

I meant his apparent and sudden familiarity with a character who hadn't been named in 5 seasons and was only mentioned this season by characters who are hundreds of miles away. I guess I can understand how they'd put two and two together based on the experiences at Hardhome, but in the narrative of the show it's just a little jarring that people are suddenly talking about the big bad openly and plainly. I would've expected an "oh poo poo" scene first where the penny dropped and they all realized who they were dealing with. It feels really rushed and convenient.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Cephas posted:

Arya definitely has some sort of plan.

1. In episode 6, she takes Needle out from its hiding place, finds a hidden location to stow away in, and sits in complete darkness.
2. In episode 7, she's out in broad daylight. The complete darkness of episode 6 lets us know she's smart enough to realize that she's not safe, so walking around not even disguised must be a conscious decision rather than thoughtless idiocy.
3. She has enough stolen money to buy passage on a ship, with a cabin, and even convince them to leave early. She has an entirely new outfit from her episode 6 peasant girl costume. This implies she's planning her escape with resources at her disposal, rather than out of sheer desperation.
4. She doesn't have Needle with her when she's out in the open. This means she's kept her best weapon a secret.
5. She stands conspicuously out on a bridge, possibly waiting for an attack. The faceless men could attack her from a rooftop, or from underneath the bridge, but she's trained with them enough to know their methods and may have ruled these out. So she might have chosen the bridge because it limits the range of possibilities for an encounter. It also provides an escape route via the water.
6. Arya spent the last few weeks literally fighting blind; she would have been able to anticipate an attack as obvious as this one. Instead, she turns to take the attack in the stomach, without defending herself. But she has enough strength to push the Waif away and headbutt her, then flip over the bridge and dive into the water. This means she may have taken the attack deliberately, and might have had some sort of trick underneath her padded tunic.
7. The Waif would want Arya's body so they could take her face. In other words, she wouldn't settle for presuming that Arya died when she hit the water. The Waif would go on recon and find the body. So Arya's plan couldn't be to fake her own death, because she'd know the Waif would want her corpse.
8. In the episode preview, we see the Waif running through the streets, undisguised, holding a bloody knife. This doesn't seem like Faceless Man behavior, as they prefer discretion. Probably, she's pissed that Arya pulled a fast one on her and lost her cool.
9. In the preview, we see Arya parkour jumping off a building in a new outfit. So she probably wasn't actually as hurt as she seemed to be.

I think what may be the case is that Arya knows she can't run or hide from a Faceless Man out to kill her, so instead she's baiting the Waif into a confrontation on her own terms. We know from her exchange with the actress that Arya is pretty good at reading people's interior motivations. She's pulling this stunt to draw the Waif out of her comfort zone, and what she'll probably do is lead the Waif to a place where she's hidden Needle, her secret weapon, and use a decisive surprise attack to kill her.

10. She spent the last 2 episodes hanging out with a theater troupe whose special effects include fake blood and gore.
11. She is leaving a trail of blood on the cobblestone road.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oliver Reed posted:

That last Arya scene was terrible. She was attacked by a "professional" assassin who didn't know or care to make sure that her target was dead. And no I'm not counting glancing into the water for five seconds.

Is there reason to believe the waifu is a "professional" and not also in training?

Also I guess I don't get the fake Arya stuff because they made it a point to show the faces come from the dead. I could buy that she is heavily armored and had fake blood under her first layer, maybe even a prop she stole from the play.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Oliver Reed posted:

plus if you really wanna nitpick, it didn't really look like she stabbed any critical areas. maaaaaybe the liver.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Oliver Reed posted:

There may be more to whole thing that meets the eye, but yeah, if it's being played straight, it was incredibly dumb that she wouldn't have just stabbed Arya in the heart, neck or planted a dagger in her back. Hell, all the times that's happened this season in full-on cliche fashion, this is the one time you would've expected it to happen and instead she makes her turn around and then slashes at her belly! And the part where she grins smugly at the blood in the water and then walks away with a look of "ha, she must be dead. No-one could possibly survive that!" is like something straight out of an 80's cartoon show. The Waif might as well be a loving Captain Planet villain.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i thought the guy who played robbett glover loving killed his last little speech and honestly the entire scene. there were a lot of good actors in this ep

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

10. She spent the last 2 episodes hanging out with a theater troupe whose special effects include fake blood and gore.
11. She is leaving a trail of blood on the cobblestone road.

Good thing the trained assassin didn't just slit her throat?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Drunk in Space posted:

There may be more to whole thing that meets the eye, but yeah, if it's being played straight, it was incredibly dumb that she wouldn't have just stabbed Arya in the heart, neck or planted a dagger in her back. Hell, all the times that's happened this season in full-on cliche fashion, this is the one time you would've expected it to happen and instead she makes her turn around and then slashes at her belly! And the part where she grins smugly at the blood in the water and then walks away with a look of "ha, she must be dead. No-one could possibly survive that!" is like something straight out of an 80's cartoon show. The Waif might as well be a loving Captain Planet villain.

On the other hand, a perforated colon's a terrible way to die. If real, the Waif just gave Arya a slow and painful death.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Drunk in Space posted:

Or she could have shot her in the neck with a cross bow. Comedy option: flat out decapitation with a saber, followed by Monty Python style stump squirting.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Accretionist posted:

On the other hand, a perforated colon's a terrible way to die. If real, the Waif just gave Arya a slow and painful death.

Yeah, I have a feeling a Faceless Man would still make absolutely sure their victim was dead, though, even if they wanted them to suffer. The way she walked off was just comical lol

I hope this is moot anyway, though, and they really do having something clever up their sleeves (I'm kidding myself aren't I?)

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Accretionist posted:

yeah I was basically thinking "great, gut wound. Enjoy the next 4 days of being immobile with wrenching pain and slowly dying."

Annual Prophet posted:

Or she could have shot her in the neck with a cross bow. Comedy option: flat out decapitation with a saber, followed by Monty Python style stump squirting.

After seeing a few of those ISIS videos, I can't think of that as comedic ever again. Thanks internet!

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Drunk in Space posted:

Yeah, I have a feeling a Faceless Man would still make absolutely sure their victim was dead, though, even if they wanted them to suffer. The way she walked off was just comical lol

I hope this is moot anyway, though, and they really do having something clever up their sleeves (I'm kidding myself aren't I?)

Isn't wanting your victim to suffer anathema to a group who is only talking about the gift of death and who are supposed to be "no one"?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

If that wasn't arya and was instead some kind of pressganged actress who dodged a few knife slashes and headbutted the waif and ninja tumbled into the water and swam to safety unseen, then that was dumb as poo poo. If Arya got stabbed in the guts for real she's dead, which is dumb as poo poo, and if she lives for literally any reason in a world without penicillin, that's dumb as poo poo. If she planned ahead and packed some theater tricks to fake a gut slash and knew she'd not be stabbed in the throat, back, or be poisoned, attacked by a blowdart, whatever, she just had the magical foresight to know she needed to put chainmail and a bloodpack exactly in her belly, and was right, that also is dumb as poo poo. Wherever they go with this I think it's pretty dumb.

Especially the goddamn waif.

I mean goddamn, it reminds me of the red letter media review of star wars episode 2 where the jedi chase the face changing assassin into a bar, and instead of like, changing its face and walking right the gently caress back out again, it sneaks up on obiwan and tries to shoot him point blank in the back? Then dies because that's a criminal misuse of the ability to change your face? If you can change faces probably the worst loving thing you can do with that ability is to charge right the gently caress at the person who thinks you're trying to kill them. Old lady coulda fallen down and baited out some compassion or looked lost and confused and asked for help or literally anything other than an entirely too interested manic old lady yelling "hey kid" and stab.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Accretionist posted:

Assuming she even managed to pierce her intestines, which is not necessarily easy to do nor something she could be assured in having accomplished.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Isn't wanting your victim to suffer anathema to a group who is only talking about the gift of death and who are supposed to be "no one"?

Yeah it's pretty weird. I think it might have worked if they'd given us more of an idea as to why the Waif would have such a hate-boner for her, because she is still human at the end of the day and perhaps her own training was rocky (perhaps Arya reminds her uncomfortably of her own weaknesses and difficulties adjusting to the role). I suppose you could say that there's some degree of jealousy there, that she fears Arya is going to take her place as Jaquen's favourite or something like that, but yeah, they really could have done more to develop that I think. Arya's whole story for the past couple of seasons has been very weak, which is sad because I always felt that her story up until Braavos was one of best in the series, both in the show and the books.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 6, 2016

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Will all be worth it if we get more Hound & Arya adventure time. (We won't.)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Either way you look at it this was incredibly stupid. Arya and the Waif should have just fought cause that's the only thing that would have made any sort of sense. It could have still ended with Arya getting stabbed cause the Waif is a far superior fighter.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Noctone posted:

Will all be worth it if we get more Hound & Arya adventure time. (We won't.)

The continuing adventures of Limp and Colostomy Bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Drunk in Space posted:

Yeah it's pretty weird. I think it might have worked if they'd given us more of an idea as to why the Waif would have such a hate-boner for her, because she is still human at the end of the day and perhaps her own training was rocky (perhaps Arya reminds her uncomfortably of her own weaknesses and difficulties adjusting to the role). I suppose you could say that there's some degree of jealousy there, that she fears Arya is going to take her place as Jaquen's favourite or something like that, but yeah, they really could have done more to develop that I think. Arya's whole story for the past couple of seasons has been very weak, which is sad because I always felt that her story up until Braavos was one of best in the series, both in the show and the books.

The point is that the Waif should not have a hateboner at all, because she is Jaqen (as seen at the end of season 5) which leads us to believe that the Faceless Men don't have a personal identity. The reason the waif is portrayed as it she is on the show is that the producers/show writers only understand very basic narrative concepts and applied the "former teacher's pet growth resentful of the talented outsider" to the Arya situation to have a season long storyline.

• Locked thread