Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Your a dumbass.
Wow Lowtax has made a lot of money off you.

She's not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Service programs would be good.

For example if your family is in the top 40% of earners you have to work a retail job for two to four years.

Everyone else can do as they like from any kind of identified public service jobs, be it medical, local through state government, public safety, americorps, military, whatever, the point is you learn about the civic commitment that a self governed populace requires.

But if you don't complete your service you don't get to vote. I think this is fair. Combine with GMI and you might have a Trump resistant society on your hands.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

RuanGacho posted:

For example if your family is in the top 40% of earners you have to work a retail job for two to four years.

Everyone else can do as they like from any kind of identified public service jobs, be it medical, local through state government, public safety, americorps, military, whatever, the point is you learn about the civic commitment that a self governed populace requires.

But if you don't complete your service you don't get to vote. I think this is fair. Combine with GMI and you might have a Trump resistant society on your hands.

I like this. Personally I think everyone should have to work retail at Walmart for at least 6 months.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I can tell you a lot about service programs, and I have mixed feelings on mandatory service.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Let me tell you why I, too, feel people who aren't me should be subject to forced labor or disenfranchisement

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Javid posted:

Let me tell you why I, too, feel people who aren't me should be subject to forced labor or disenfranchisement

There is value to mandatory civil service, but not really in the way anyone here has remotely described it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

There is value to mandatory civil service, but not really in the way anyone here has remotely described it.

Of course there is value it's free labor!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Well that was kind of my point -- it shouldn't be free labor -- that's a bad service experience/activity.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

When did I suggest no compensation? Also when no one can see the value of bringing people of different ethnic and class backgrounds together I am worried.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Crowsbeak posted:

When did I suggest no compensation? Also when no one can see the value of bringing people of different ethnic and class backgrounds together I am worried.
My bleak theory would be that the various plush internships that the well-off get would get recast as their Public Service Year or whatever, while the poor got to build roads in Nevada. Of course this might build solidarity among the working classes... :ussr:

HookedOnChthonics posted:

You'd probably end up with an education/HHS/HUD budget larger than defense on your balance sheet, but :shrug:
While I doubt it would be cheap, I doubt it would be as bad as that, and there would also be considerable economic benefits.

As for building pride in your country I suppose this has a certain Orwellian vibe to it. Who decides what constitutes "pride" and "what you should be proud of"? Is there a major deficiency in "national pride" among young people or is this just another way to blame them for not taking the jobs that aren't there?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Man this thread has gone in a strange direction.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Nessus posted:

While I doubt it would be cheap, I doubt it would be as bad as that, and there would also be considerable economic benefits.

As for building pride in your country I suppose this has a certain Orwellian vibe to it. Who decides what constitutes "pride" and "what you should be proud of"? Is there a major deficiency in "national pride" among young people or is this just another way to blame them for not taking the jobs that aren't there?

Some quick back-of-the-napkin math and I don't think you pay less than $200 billion a year strictly in salaries and stipends for that year's crop of personnel

And oh god inculcation of pride isn't what I meant at all

If anything it's the opposite in that it should thoroughly disabuse a person of the idea that America is at all a fair or equal society

I think it should develop one's empathy and perspective: force everyone, in some regard, to become comfortable somewhere they never were before, with people they would otherwise never have met. Time it to the critical identity-building phase of a person's life, throw as many opportunities and resources for personal development as possible in the mix, mandate a little socialization, and walla, better, more democratic citizens capable of looking past socioeconomic lines by dint of shared experience. Draft proponents have occasionally used basically the same argument, though with increased chance of death I guess.

But again, the whole idea of making it mandatory so fundamentally rejects facts of both political reality and apparent human nature that it may as well be full communism now

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
This thread has taught me that any proposed changed to the american status quo will lead to dystopia.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

My bleak theory would be that the various plush internships that the well-off get would get recast as their Public Service Year or whatever, while the poor got to build roads in Nevada. Of course this might build solidarity among the working classes... :ussr:

I would be very much against such internships. You see unlike you I don't hold the individual on this unasailable pedestal.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

wait is crowsbeak actually amergin?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

What's funny about "building roads in Nevada" is that it's not actually a public job in most states. It's all contracted out to private firms.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Not a bad gig being paid to pay five dudes to watch one dig a hole.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
To change the subject of whether required service to the country is a capitalist plot. Noted shithead and eater of cakes Tom Cotton is preventing the Senate from passing a criminal law reform bill that would make it harder to lock up kids because he thinks parents should be able to request their children be locked up.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

I just saw the picture and was briefly disappointed that Bob Mould wasn't running for president.

The dude wrote "Makes no sense at all.", He has got my vote.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nosfereefer posted:

This thread has taught me that any proposed changed to the american status quo will lead to dystopia.

Congratulations, you are now old.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Man this thread has gone in a strange direction.

Slow couple of days in the news.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

John Oliver just bought $15 million in medical debt (at a cost of $60,000) and forgave it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxUAntt1z2c

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nosfereefer posted:

"lead to"

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

RuanGacho posted:

I have long wanted to be able to sentence people to a year or years working full-time at McDonald's.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Noam Chomsky posted:

I have long wanted to be able to sentence people to a year or years working full-time at McDonald's.

Wouldn't work.

quote:

But still you'll never get it right
'Cause when you're laid in bed at night
Watching roaches climb the wall
If you called your Dad he could stop it all

I mean, short term service projects can make a big difference in helping the privileged few realize how the other 99% live, and I'm a big fan of things like service requirements for graduation, etc. But the rich aren't ever going to experience or understand actually working a low wage job over a long term.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 6, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Litany Unheard posted:

John Oliver just bought $15 million in medical debt (at a cost of $60,000) and forgave it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxUAntt1z2c

As much as I have problems with how some collection services behave, the rolling jubilee method of buying debt for pennies on the dollar from down-chain creditors and just poofing it into thin air is pretty awesome for the folks being relieved even if it's basically generating easy profit for places which tend to use rather questionable business practices.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wouldn't work.

I mean, short term service projects can make a big difference in helping the privileged few realize how the other 99% live, and I'm a big fan of things like service requirements for graduation, etc. But the rich aren't ever going to experience or understand actually working a low wage job over a long term.

Yeah it's like that dude that decided to show how easy it was to work hard and live on a lovely minimum wage job. It worked ok until his mom (or someone) got real sick and he had to cancel the experiment. The take-a-way was that anyone can do it and him quitting shouldn't count since it was outside the bounds of the experiment, not that "hmm what would have happened to his mom if he couldn't just quit his minimum wage job that he needed to survive."

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

FAUXTON posted:

As much as I have problems with how some collection services behave, the rolling jubilee method of buying debt for pennies on the dollar from down-chain creditors and just poofing it into thin air is pretty awesome for the folks being relieved even if it's basically generating easy profit for places which tend to use rather questionable business practices.

How is it awesome for the folks being relieved? My understanding is that the reason the debt is so cheap is because "the folks'" credit score has already been trashed and the debt written off, so instead of the collection service getting the $0 they assumed and budgeted for, now they have a free $60,000 from John Oliver at no benefit to the debtors. It's not like John Oliver paying their debt is going to make their credit score go back up.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Radish posted:

Yeah it's like that dude that decided to show how easy it was to work hard and live on a lovely minimum wage job. It worked ok until his mom (or someone) got real sick and he had to cancel the experiment. The take-a-way was that anyone can do it and him quitting shouldn't count since it was outside the bounds of the experiment, not that "hmm what would have happened to his mom if he couldn't just quit his minimum wage job that he needed to survive."

Is there a link or something to this? The guy sounds incredibly dumb.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

How is it awesome for the folks being relieved? My understanding is that the reason the debt is so cheap is because "the folks'" credit score has already been trashed and the debt written off, so instead of the collection service getting the $0 they assumed and budgeted for, now they have a free $60,000 from John Oliver at no benefit to the debtors. It's not like John Oliver paying their debt is going to make their credit score go back up.

I mean, he also can't take away whatever medical ailment got them into this situation, but it's one more lovely thing off their plate which is nice.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Barbe Rouge posted:

Is there a link or something to this? The guy sounds incredibly dumb.

I wish I could find it since I guess it's unfair to say the guy learned nothing without being able to cite it. I definitely remember people using it as a "work hard and budget yourself you will be fine" answer to complaints about how difficult it is to survive on such a salary but MAYBE the guy writing it learned the real lesson (like when Mancow and Christopher Hitchens tried to prove waterboarding wasn't real torture and then said "actually yeah that's real torture"I can't quite remember and I can't remember the dude's name to find his book.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Thaddius the Large posted:

I mean, he also can't take away whatever medical ailment got them into this situation, but it's one more lovely thing off their plate which is nice.

Not really, because it was out-of-regulation debt, meaning it had already legally expired and the companies can't legally pursue it anyway. Scummy debt collectors might pursue it anyway, assuming the debtor doesn't know the law, but such a scummy debt collector might also pursue it after selling it off to a TV show, so not much gained.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

haveblue posted:

Congratulations, you are now old.

but i am not even american :(

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

But seriously, a lot of people would get some valuable experience from a modern cultural revolution. "send the silver spoons to the mcdonalds!"

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Academician Nomad posted:

Not really, because it was out-of-regulation debt, meaning it had already legally expired and the companies can't legally pursue it anyway. Scummy debt collectors might pursue it anyway, assuming the debtor doesn't know the law, but such a scummy debt collector might also pursue it after selling it off to a TV show, so not much gained.

Now all of those folks get a letter saying "you officially don't owe this money" which is nice, and it's probably a nice relief for people who thought they still had that debt hanging over their heads.

Sorry it didn't fix everything forever? It's a nice gesture, no reason to scream about the cloud while we're briefly enjoying the silver lining. We know the cloud is still there.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

DemeaninDemon posted:

Not a bad gig being paid to pay five dudes to watch one dig a hole.

Digging is hard work and you trade out doing it with one of the guys watching you as a rotation.

Nosfereefer posted:

Hyep.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Academician Nomad posted:

Huh, I didn't know that, learn something new every day. And now I want to start drinking heavily at 7:30 am, so thanks for that.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

BuzzFeed Terminates Ad Deal With Republican Party Over Trump

quote:

BuzzFeed has terminated a deal with the Republican National Committee to run political advertisements in the Fall, the company's CEO Jonah Peretti informed employees Monday morning.

In an email, Peretti cited the Donald Trump's rhetoric and campaign promises as the reason for the decision.

"Earlier today, Buzzfeed informed the RNC that we would not accept Trump for President ads and that we would be terminating our agreement with them," Peretti said. "The Trump campaign is directly opposed to the freedoms of our employees in the United States and around the world and in some cases, such as his proposed ban on international travel for Muslims, would make it impossible for our employees to do their jobs."

Peretti added later in the email, "We certainly don't like to turn away revenue that funds all the important work we do across the company. However, in some cases we must make business exceptions: we don't run cigarette ads because they are hazardous to our health, and we won't accept Trump ads for the exact same reason."

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
^^^^ e: but my freedom of speech!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wouldn't work.

The wouldn't learn anything (as much?) because they don't need the job. The really lovely part of working at these jobs is having to jump through hoops and put up with dicks because you need to feed yourself or your family. If you don't need the money then management doesn't have the control to make your life miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Nosfereefer posted:

Now you understand the nation is a fat person in a speedo perched atop a mountain of wet soap. Any movement, no matter how small, may begin the slide into *spins wheel* Daoist *throws dart* Anarchy!

• Locked thread