Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

When I worked in a Mcdonalds in Canada back in 1991 we used real eggs. People claimed we used powdered eggs or some kind of egg mix back then too. I don't know if they've ever used egg substitute, or if it is just inconceivable to the human mind that they might be using anything natural so people keep assuming it must be egg substitute.

there are long-standing rumors that KFC uses some kind of horrible mutant animal that isn't really chicken and that Arby's roast beef comes in powdered form.

people are really stupid about fast food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

are you saying i could have been stocking my fallout shelter with powdered beef all these years?

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Alhazred posted:

Still better than this one:

It's scrambled eggs in a carton, for folks too lazy to crack an egg.

Legitimately great for me because my grip doesn't work right. Though I prefer those egg cracking holder things because fresh egg is way better than that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

are you saying i could have been stocking my fallout shelter with powdered beef all these years?

you gotta know a guy on the inside :ssh:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I worked in the dining hall during university and we had big cartons of those eggs. People complimented our scrambled eggs all the time. I wasn't a big fan of eggs at the time, so I didn't notice them tasting horrible, but the sight made me gag a little.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Alaois posted:

there are long-standing rumors that KFC uses some kind of horrible mutant animal that isn't really chicken and that Arby's roast beef comes in powdered form.

people are really stupid about fast food

KFC buys the same chicken as everyone through whichever local distributor offers the best price. Most chicken places buy their chicken separately from the normal distribution. They come frozen, usually mixed pieces unless the store wants to separate the chickens themselves in which case they come fresh. As I recall, KFC does 8 pieces per head. Places that sell leg and thigh together do 6 per head.

Arbys gets their Roast Beef in big squishy bags. They feel like a bag of goo but there is regular meat in there. It's just the liquid on the outside. It then gets taken out of the bag and roasted, or in the case of one store I worked with when I supported POS systems, boiled in the bag, and then sliced. I don't know how common the boiling method is, but it apparently works. It's Arby's. You'll never notice the difference. It always sounds good but never fails to disappoint. I do like their curly fries though.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

moist turtleneck posted:

It's making me really mad that they consider waffle and pancake batter to be the same thing

But isn't it?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Arbys should advertise their sous vide method and charge $14 per artisan sandwich

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

mostlygray posted:

It's Arby's. You'll never notice the difference. It always sounds good but never fails to disappoint. I do like their curly fries though.

I've never figured out just how a place that prides itself on meat sandwiches has only one really good thing on the menu, and that one's made of potatoes.

(Well, and the chocolate turnovers, which probably come in frozen, too.)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

Arbys should advertise their sous vide method and charge $14 per artisan sandwich

Fellow Marketing major spotted.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sentient Data posted:

Man, they already charge up to eight dollars for some of their sandwiches, I think the average Arby's consumer wouldn't pay that much and the upscale crowd is unlikely to go to a restaurant with a giant cowboy hat logo.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

stefania_r posted:

Camping Lifehacks Part XXXVI: Return of the Shoe Organizer

This is from forever ago, but as a professional camper who just got back from two nights in the backcountry, I have to give this my two cents.

I just point my headlamp at what I need to see, works like a charm. Illuminating your campsite deprives you of seeing the starry night sky.

I have both a foampad AND an air mattress, I use the pad anytime I have to walk more than 2 km to my campsite because at that point I'm already carrying loads of gear and I don't need to add 10 pounds of delicate rubber that could just get destroyed and then I'm right proper hosed at being insulated from the ground. My air mattress is mostly used for drive-in or walk-in car camping where I expect to get completely wasted and want the luxury of a mattress to pass out on.

What the gently caress is a camp kitchen? Just put your poo poo out on your picnic table like a normal person.

I just squash a partial roll of toilet paper flat and stick it in a ziplock bag to waterproof it. Weighs nothing and takes up very little space, and can be carried in your pocket for easy transport! Whoever needs to put it in a cylindrical container is a weirdo and probably a prissy baby.

These hacks suck if you're a real camper.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Filox posted:

I've never figured out just how a place that prides itself on meat sandwiches has only one really good thing on the menu, and that one's made of potatoes.

(Well, and the chocolate turnovers, which probably come in frozen, too.)
Fried potatoes are a lot harder to gently caress up than meat, especially in a fast food "do it NOW" setting. Mystery solved.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Picnic Princess posted:

I just squash a partial roll of toilet paper flat and stick it in a ziplock bag to waterproof it. Weighs nothing and takes up very little space, and can be carried in your pocket for easy transport! Whoever needs to put it in a cylindrical container is a weirdo and probably a prissy baby.

These hacks suck if you're a real camper.

The container is for used toilet paper :ssh:

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

Fried potatoes are a lot harder to gently caress up than meat, especially in a fast food "do it NOW" setting. Mystery solved.

If they had any sense at all, they'd at least try to make the sandwiches at least as good as the fries, is what I'm saying. And the curly fries aren't fantastic, just pretty good.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

cyberia posted:

The container is for used toilet paper :ssh:

A whole coffee can though? If you're making GBS threads that much, go home and go to the doctor.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Picnic Princess posted:

A whole coffee can though? If you're making GBS threads that much, go home and go to the doctor.

Check your low-wipe-count privilege

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

sous vide is really a convenience/food safety boon, yeah? not much of a selling point, unless you want to paint your non-sous'd products as dangerous

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Picnic Princess posted:

I think it's more a 'hide your shameful used toilet paper' thing than a need for something that big. When I've been camping in areas where you're not supposed to bury or burn your used paper I'd just put it in a ziploc bag :shrug:

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

sous vide is really a convenience/food safety boon, yeah? not much of a selling point, unless you want to paint your non-sous'd products as dangerous

Well you can really jam-pack meatw with flavor and keep it at a low temp that you otherwise couldn't. Before sous vide, you could braise cheap meat with a bunch of herbs, spices, and aromatics, and after 6-8 hours at like 275 it would be fall apart tender and full of flavor, but obviously cooked to well done. You could sear your nice cuts, and impart some flavor with a marinade, but that would be very subtle. With sous vide, you can take middle of the road cuts, like top sirloin or flank, cryo vac it with whatever herbs and aromatics you want, have it in a 130 bath for 12 hours, and get a very flavorful, perfect medium rate every time with a quick sear in cast iron.

At my restaurant we do a bone in pork chop that we sous vide in bacon fat, garlic, bay leaf, rosemary, and thyme. 3 hours at 145. The end product is an infinitely more flavorful and tender cut than would be possible any other way, and comes out a perfect medium every time.

We advertise the pork as sous vide. We don't advertise the chicken breasts that we do at 152 for 2 hours in oil, garlic, and bay leaf. But it is also the most delicious an moist chicken I've ever had after 5 minutes on the grill. And perfectly safe at a lower tempurature, which is the point you were making. For that reason, I could see advertising it as sous vide if it were more of a staple menu item (we just add our chicken to salads and such). You know that a sous vide half chicken is going to be much more moist and flavorful than its roasted counterpart.

om nom nom has a new favorite as of 05:28 on Jun 6, 2016

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The biggest benefit with beef is cooking it precisely how you want it and then searing the outside. This is a big deal for steak since it's thin compared to a roast, but roast beef is typically pretty rare on the inside anyway so it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I and a lot of other people are kind of icked out by the whole cooking food in plastic bags thing. I know on a rational level that it's almost certainly harmless but there's still a small sliver of doubt in the back of my mind, and I think a lot of my circle would find it pretty alarming, so I wouldn't really want to serve anything sous vide to them without first telling them.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Throatwarbler posted:

I and a lot of other people are kind of icked out by the whole cooking food in plastic bags thing. I know on a rational level that it's almost certainly harmless but there's still a small sliver of doubt in the back of my mind, and I think a lot of my circle would find it pretty alarming, so I wouldn't really want to serve anything sous vide to them without first telling them.

What are you concerned about? The plastic leeching out? That happens at like 250-350 degrees C or some stupid high number liquid water can't even touch. At least for food grade materials.

Sous vides only fault comes from foodies being all smug douche about it.

Edit: \/ yeah I should have added that the plastic be food grade and safe for that temperature. Go microwave a sandwich bag yes that'll be sticky.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM has a new favorite as of 12:51 on Jun 6, 2016

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
If you're microwaving something in a sandwich bag, that's not a good idea. However, most sous vide setups are significantly more robust.

Also, lifehack: sous vide your used toilet paper. Walla.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

Does the word "toxins" come up in conversation a lot?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Picnic Princess posted:

as a professional camper

:allears:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Picnic Princess posted:

.. but as a professional camper

This.. this is a thing? Please elaborate. I would love to be paid to camp.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

bongwizzard posted:

Does the word "toxins" come up in conversation a lot?
or "vaccines"

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Somebody has a new favorite as of 03:15 on Jun 9, 2016

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Do I look like I know what a JPEG is...*audio quality rapidly drops*

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Do I look like I know what a JPEG is...*audio quality rapidly drops*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The wart thing works. Used it when I was a kid instead of the terrible terrible smelling cream.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Shine your houseplant leaves, because that is a perfectly normal thing to want to do to your houseplants.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dareon posted:

Gonna have a hard time stabbing a bacteria with a cashew, son. :colbert:

The correct method is to decapitate the bacteria with a sword made from a yew tree and then bury the head and the body in separate cashew cairns.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

This.. this is a thing? Please elaborate. I would love to be paid to camp.

To be honest, many of the people who graduate with the degree I'm taking become backcountry guides, thus get paid to camp. While I don't have a proper job yet, I am the one who plans, coordinates, and leads every outdoor excursion I go on whether it's a half-day hike or a 100km+ backpacking trip. It's kind of my thing and I obsess over outdoors and camping like MRAs obsess with how much of a victim they are.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh so you're some kind of picnic princess then?

Like lording it over the outdoor refectorial affairs, I mean?

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 00:09 on Jun 7, 2016

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

zedprime posted:

Shine your houseplant leaves, because that is a perfectly normal thing to want to do to your houseplants.

Uh yea, for some people, it is. gently caress that noise as for as I'm concerned. That's money+time+energy I'd rather spend 1000 other ways. My plants don't get dusty looking though so I don't know wtf is going on with other people's plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
A leather sofa that smells like bananas, that's what I want in my living room :chloe: