Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Is Genji actually a good character to play or is he just a case of ""work twice as hard to get equal or lesser results as another way easier character". I'm leaning towards the latter but open to tips if he actually has strategic worth.

I mean aside from deflecting Bastions to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Winston's gun hits everybody in front of him within a short range but it can also headshot, so keep that in mind. Also try to leap a little bit behind the dude you're going after so that they can't just unload an arrow in your face the second you land. He's great at KOTH and the final push of payloads but unfortunately McCree and his stupid M2 own Winston badly.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Idea time:

What about a tank that heals?

Or an ability that redistributes damage? Like all incoming damage is spread over the team or one player takes the damage dealt to another player?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Zoness posted:

Ah yes the very useful counter to one of the weakest ults in the game.

Zenyatta's ult has its uses but it really has a hard time being as useful as lucio's (shielding is almost always better than healing) or mercy's

Actually thats my really big beef with zenyatta's ult - it's just so much less useful than lucio's given that the most devastating good ults or even some characters' standard damage output instantly kill through it.

not only is it a bad ult just in terms of mechanics, it sucks because it forces zenyatta to commit to melee which often results in his robot sadbrains being splattered all over the wall

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
What if Mei could point her ice gun at the ground and fire to create a jetpack, and cast iceberg on other people?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is Genji actually a good character to play or is he just a case of ""work twice as hard to get equal or lesser results as another way easier character". I'm leaning towards the latter but open to tips if he actually has strategic worth.

Genji is very good but he is definitely a lot of effort for a situationally very powerful hero. If you want to rate characters by power level to effort to learn mccree blows every other character out of the water right now but there are some maps that highly favor a genji regardless of opposing hero matchup.

Even if you are not very proficient with Genji, he matches up very well against poor mobility squishies and even a good Genji fares poorly against tanks.

Lady Naga posted:

What if Mei could point her ice gun at the ground and fire to create a jetpack, and cast iceberg on other people?

She can already boost herself with ice wall which I've seen about 1% of mei players actually use.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I briefly played Winston but wasn't sure what I was doing (only had like 10 seconds in the match). I'll check him out too. Is it similar tanking to Reinhardt? Or is it more mobile?

The thing with Winston is that you have to learn his cycle, he's good for flanking and interruption but you really have to practice leaping back out of the fray since he's a huge target.
He doesn't get kills as fast or as often, but he's far more useful to your team than another widow/dva/hanzo.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Zenyatta's ult should just basically be like Lucio's in that it overheals or something and should also increase damage and do AoE or something

edit: And yeah McCree and Widow really need damage nerfs I know everyone has said this a million times but it's true

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Zenyatta's ultimate seems ok for when your team is trying to make the final push to win on an attack map

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Veib posted:

I haven't played TF2 since like 2010 and loving love Overwatch right now.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Give reinhardt a healing ability so I can play a true paladin, thanks

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

If the WoW playerbase is to be believed, a paladin who never heals is a far more accurate representation of the class.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I was just thinking that a new healer should have a healing ability that's always on that they don't have to think about, ala Lucio, but with some sort of aesthetic that appeals to the Reaper/Hanzo crowd. A true paladin class smells too much like teamwork, anathema to the Lone Wolf xxxbongrips247xxx.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
It's basically impossible to make people that didn't want to help the team do so, I don't think that's a valuable design space.

Also there's already an AoE healer that does a lot of damage in the game. He's even good against torbjorn! I think Soldier 76 is still criminally underpicked when he is a character that has no glaring weaknesses (that aren't mccree or widowmaker).

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Make a healer that has to set up a big operating tent and people go in and there's a 3 hour surgery scene and he's drinking martinis the whole time and making fun of Frank.

I just noticed last night that Winston's lab has a tire swing in it.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Zoness posted:

Ah yes the very useful counter to one of the weakest ults in the game.

that was kinda the point, zen needs a new ult

Imagined posted:

Well I'm not a game designer, obviously. I'm just trying to think of ways to make an offensive, front line healer who can help lead a push from the front instead of follow at the back, to make a more "fun" healer that appeals to people who like to DPS. Maybe a slightly tanky short-range character who pumps out an AOE heal with every hit they land, in proportion to how much damage it does? So it would be somewhere in between the steadiness of Lucio's aura and the raw single-target healing of Mercy.

if you want a fun healer just throw in a chloromancer from rift

wait that's basically the stuff that you said :thumbsup:

Imagined posted:

I was just thinking that a new healer should have a healing ability that's always on that they don't have to think about, ala Lucio, but with some sort of aesthetic that appeals to the Reaper/Hanzo crowd. A true paladin class smells too much like teamwork, anathema to the Lone Wolf xxxbongrips247xxx.

disciple of khaine from WAR comes to mind on this one

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Zoness posted:

It's basically impossible to make people that didn't want to help the team do so, I don't think that's a valuable design space.

Also there's already an AoE healer that does a lot of damage in the game. He's even good against torbjorn!

That's why I think they should make characters that automatically help their teammates as a byproduct of acting selfishly. But I also think if they made a character with the exact same abilities as Lucio but gave them an aggressive looking design instead of looking like he stepped out of Jet Set Radio, pubbies would play him.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

YESSS. This and Warrior Priest from WAR were literally what I had in mind.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 6, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think the problem with damage dependent healers is that healers are meant to appeal to people who can't aim.

Unfortunately most people who can't aim immediately flock to playing Hanzo.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

He felt like that to me as well when I started playing him but once you learn him he definitely becomes a good hero. He's not even that hard to play once his basic stuff becomes muscle memory. He's not in the same god tier as Tracer, McCree, Lucio and Widowmaker but you can definitely turns games around with him.

Also he will probably be indirectly buffed in the coming weeks when Blizzard gets around to nerfing the aforementioned heroes which are all pretty annoying for Genji to deal with

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

That's why I think they should make characters that automatically help their teammates as a byproduct of acting selfishly. But I also think if they made a character with the exact same abilities as Lucio but gave them an aggressive looking design instead of looking like he stepped out of Jet Set Radio, pubbies would play him.

Yes but on the other hand a healer that can actually kill flankers that dive them without a massive player skill gradient would probably be immediately nerfed so

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Zoness posted:

I think Soldier 76 is still criminally underpicked when he is a character that has no glaring weaknesses (that aren't mccree or widowmaker).

I decided to play him for a couple of games, since I never really touched him outside of the very first training sequence. I ended up playing with him for a few hours. One game netted me 40 elims, 4 gold medals, 1 silver medal for healing. In another game I got a gold medal for healing. Really, really liking this character.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Imagined posted:

A fallen paladin that aoe heals by dealing damage :krad:

Have him give dark one liners like "Can't have light without the dark." And his ult is "I have fallen in order for you to stand."

And then modulate his voice so he sounds edgy and gruff because edgelords.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

If there was an aim-dependent healer I would be all over that. I like support roles in most games but this one, aiming and shooting stuff is too fun. Maybe a character that can shoot enemies and cause them to deal less damage, and dealing damage also fills up a bar like torbjorns scrap. Then press a button to throw out a small health pack for your allies.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

God no. So many duel wielding turds trying to solo people in pvp

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
What about a healing turret class. Not like a WoW shaman but maybe he has a base station. As long as he stays within LoS of it, he gets a damage boost and any damage he does is channeled back to the base station and heals anyone within 10 meters of it. It lasts until it's destroyed like Torb's turret and can be repositioned at will.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

el B posted:

I decided to play him for a couple of games, since I never really touched him outside of the very first training sequence. I ended up playing with him for a few hours. One game netted me 40 elims, 4 gold medals, 1 silver medal for healing. In another game I got a gold medal for healing. Really, really liking this character.

The whole 'DPS but still has an good heal drop' makes him one of my top picks, esp when your team only has one support and could use some extra boost. I also recommend turning on his option to see teammate healthbars so you can drop that health down for them with a little more awareness. Plus his long range accuracy is really good in burst fire shots.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Is there a tier list around anywhere yet for the heroes so that I don't poo poo up the thread asking if [this one hero I like] is any good? Mostly curious about the tanks, honestly - I've played them all and I still don't have a good feel for how their contributions stack up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

These are all pretty boring ideas but I think Team Overwatch will surprise us with something unexpected + fun.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

2 SPOOKY posted:

Is there a tier list around anywhere yet for the heroes so that I don't poo poo up the thread asking if [this one hero I like] is any good? Mostly curious about the tanks, honestly - I've played them all and I still don't have a good feel for how their contributions stack up.

http://www.planetoverwatch.org/12-overwatch-tier-list-and-hero-meta-report-the-payload-report
In KOTH, play Winston or Zarya instead of Reinhardt.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

No don't. Charging people off of cliffs is what KOTH is all about.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

No don't. Charging people off of cliffs is what KOTH is all about.

Might I suggest: Lucio?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Save Target As posted:

The whole 'DPS but still has an good heal drop' makes him one of my top picks, esp when your team only has one support and could use some extra boost. I also recommend turning on his option to see teammate healthbars so you can drop that health down for them with a little more awareness. Plus his long range accuracy is really good in burst fire shots.
You might not know so it's more a general question out there for soldier players, but is there something showing where his damage fall off sort of begins and caps, and what's about the optimal burst-fire for accuracy? 3-shots?

I usually do pretty well closer up but find I don't really seem to do poo poo at med to long-range with him.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Imagined posted:

What about a healing turret class. Not like a WoW shaman but maybe he has a base station. As long as he stays within LoS of it, he gets a damage boost and any damage he does is channeled back to the base station and heals anyone within 10 meters of it. It lasts until it's destroyed like Torb's turret and can be repositioned at will.

What if we just got a WoW shaman

I wouldn't mind actually.

Maybe to make him/her easier make the totem laying a single button and randomly select from 4 totems :haw:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

exquisite tea posted:

Please don't entertain this line of discussion unless you want to get 10,000 word philosophical treatises On the Nature of Humour by goons who describe themselves as "sarcastic" in their okcupid profiles.

He warned you all. You didn't listen.

Lady Naga posted:

In KOTH, play Winston or Zarya instead of Reinhardt.

Play Reinhardt on Lijiang Garden because that map is bullshit.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Minorkos posted:

He felt like that to me as well when I started playing him but once you learn him he definitely becomes a good hero. He's not even that hard to play once his basic stuff becomes muscle memory. He's not in the same god tier as Tracer, McCree, Lucio and Widowmaker but you can definitely turns games around with him.

Also he will probably be indirectly buffed in the coming weeks when Blizzard gets around to nerfing the aforementioned heroes which are all pretty annoying for Genji to deal with

What would you consider his basic stuff? I'm guessing the fanfire/slash/dash pointblank combo is part of it.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Xaris posted:

You might not know so it's more a general question out there for soldier players, but is there something showing where his damage fall off sort of begins and caps, and what's about the optimal burst-fire for accuracy? 3-shots?

I usually do pretty well closer up but find I don't really seem to do poo poo at med to long-range with him.

I don't think anyone's mapped damage falloff ranges yet so you should probably go to the training map and practice on the dummies that have range indicators to get a feel for it.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I was thinking, Zenyatta's Ult would be much better if it passively attracted bullets/rockets to him. Basically if it gave him a little extra pushing power by shielding nearby teammates in addition to the regen. That might be too strong though.

Anyway.

What are good counters to Reinhardt? Also, any good tips as to how to counter a really good Genji?

Another question, do kills or anything reset cooldowns for Genji? I swear one of the replays I saw had him doing his abilities at least twice as fast, and I wasn't playing on the weekly brawl.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

Unless there's a hidden interaction my understanding is that your accuracy corresponds to how wide your reticle is so if you're going for maximum accuracy you want to stop as soon as the reticle hits max radius.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I got the Widowmaker "Noire" skin in a loot box drop. I didn't pre-order, nor do I have the Origins edition. Is this even possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

khy posted:

I was thinking, Zenyatta's Ult would be much better if it passively attracted bullets/rockets to him. Basically if it gave him a little extra pushing power by shielding nearby teammates in addition to the regen. That might be too strong though.

Anyway.

What are good counters to Reinhardt? Also, any good tips as to how to counter a really good Genji?

Another question, do kills or anything reset cooldowns for Genji? I swear one of the replays I saw had him doing his abilities at least twice as fast, and I wasn't playing on the weekly brawl.

Reinhardt gets countered by mobile flankers who can kill him and get out before they're bursted down (tracer, mccree, reaper), Genji is wrecked by tanks, Genji's dash is reset on kills.