Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!
Oh - and for those asking about my food:

Last night, I grilled a nice marbled ribeye that I finished in a cast iron pot for a good char. The key to properly grilling a steak is to allow it to rest at room temperature for 30 mins prior to grilling, and season it with nothing but salt (Kosher salt is best as it covers more surface area) and ground black pepper. Second, you want to make sure you're using high eat to sear in the juices. When thrown on the grill, watch to see as the blood emerges from the top of the steak (generally around the 2 minute mark). Do not flip before you see this. After you flip, you should give it another 1.5 to 2 mins. I gave it less because I then threw it in a cast iron with butter, thyme and garlic to finish of the sear (and a medium-rare temp).

With the steak, I made some brown rice and quinoa and a side of sauteed baby spinach.

This morning, I had leftover steak so I sliced it thin and made two eggs over-easy, pan fried tomatoes, and some feta for a quick and easy, healthy meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

ManofManyAliases posted:

What - why do I care to defend it? Because I see a lot of misinformation thrown around by both camps- misinformation based on speculation and lack of insight by all of us. Not one of us is close enough to the project to say definitively how something is or should be, and yet, we all act like we know.

noone is claiming this is a well balanced debate

this is nerds laughing at disasterpiece theatre, MST3K style

now you have to try to figure out if you're a joker or a punchline

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ManofManyAliases posted:

Oh - and for those asking about my food:

Last night, I grilled a nice marbled ribeye that I finished in a cast iron pot for a good char. The key to properly grilling a steak is to allow it to rest at room temperature for 30 mins prior to grilling, and season it with nothing but salt (Kosher salt is best as it covers more surface area) and ground black pepper. Second, you want to make sure you're using high eat to sear in the juices. When thrown on the grill, watch to see as the blood emerges from the top of the steak (generally around the 2 minute mark). Do not flip before you see this. After you flip, you should give it another 1.5 to 2 mins. I gave it less because I then threw it in a cast iron with butter, thyme and garlic to finish of the sear (and a medium-rare temp).

With the steak, I made some brown rice and quinoa and a side of sauteed baby spinach.

This morning, I had leftover steak so I sliced it thin and made two eggs over-easy, pan fried tomatoes, and some feta for a quick and easy, healthy meal.

What I am taking away from this is you cooked a nice steak and didn't eat it all
You are dead to me

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

ManofManyAliases posted:

you want to make sure you're using high eat to sear in the juices.

This is a myth:

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_searing_seals_in_juices.html

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

You clearly don't understand steak developmememmete

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

What I am taking away from this is you cooked a nice steak and didn't eat it all
You are dead to me

It was probably our fault, emergency CS meeting at CIG :(

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

What - why do I care to defend it? Because I see a lot of misinformation thrown around by both camps- misinformation based on speculation and lack of insight by all of us. Not one of us is close enough to the project to say definitively how something is or should be, and yet, we all act like we know.

Both camps? You've still got $5.7k in Chris Roberts space bucks. You're sitting in a walled fort right at the center of camp cult.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Jon Do posted:

noone is claiming this is a well balanced debate

this is nerds laughing at disasterpiece theatre, MST3K style

now you have to try to figure out if you're a joker or a punchline

Can't I be both?

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

cue moma diverting attention from his own stupidity

color me surprised

Enot
Feb 18, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Second, you want to make sure you're using high eat to sear in the juices.

Alton Brown proved it long time ago that "searing in the juices" is a myth

Dammit, late to comment as usual

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

ManofManyAliases posted:

Can't I be both?

You can.

But.

Are you?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

peter gabriel posted:

You are dead to me

Hey - it was a fairly large steak (22 ounces) and I gotta portion out those Prime cuts!

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

otherwise you might bust that fancy belt

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ManofManyAliases posted:

Remember that one dude who invested thousands of dollars and was personal friends with a lot of the people in charge and was there when the original kickstarter thing happened and was there for the first stream and was there for years of development and even had lunch with some of the developers and then like a year ago he got out of the project because of how batshit crazy everything was?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

thatguy posted:

Can we get some sort of mod that blatantly pastes that under construction sign on top of every element of the game.

can't mod the most open game ever, because all the files are signed and it won't load them otherwise.

... unless you use the ~lando leak~

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

thatguy posted:

Remember that one dude who invested thousands of dollars and was personal friends with a lot of the people in charge and was there when the original kickstarter thing happened and was there for the first stream and was there for years of development and even had lunch with some of the developers and then like a year ago he got out of the project because of how batshit crazy everything was?

Now you are just making things up.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

also im pretty sure the point was proven by the smart blog + escapist article -> 18,0000 word C. Roberts rant

they're paranoid of FUD and have gone to... well, FUD levels of response. Tracking customers' other online aliases to make sure they're not goons, etc. anyone who has done real business, or even known a real businessperson, sees the lunacy in this reactionary policy.

noone who has nothing to hide BOTH shouts 'i have nothing to hide' AND hides things. They can spin a lot of poo poo with their whale community, so what is it they're hiding, as opposed to revealing and disarming?

e: they're totally not vampires, just irrationally fearful of sunlight. and stakes. garlic is just an allergy, really.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The only thing that matters to making a great steak is proper heat, proper meat, and proper resting.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 6, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sickening posted:

The only thing that matters to making a great steak i proper heat, proper meat, and proper resting.

aka the Terms of Steak

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Because amazingribs.com said so? How many Michelin stars do they have? I mean - there's nothing wrong with the Ducasse method; he's more concerned about the flavor of the meat itself and not so much about the carbonization of the marble. Me? I prefer more of a char. So I start by rendering the sides of the steak - as would Ducasse, but I flash it with high heat and finish it with high sear to char it.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

to rephrase, goons are experts on bullshit, and we can smell it a mile away

everything CIG/RSI says or does, publicly or privately, stinks to high heaven

we don't need a scientific instrument to provide us proof that there is bullshit

e: steak-related deflection of scrutiny, right on time

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Sickening posted:

The only thing that matters to making a great steak is proper heat, proper meat, and proper resting.

I agree with this more. A good cut and making sure it rests for at least half the time it took to cook it is key.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Put some olive oil in your skillet and set it over a medium-high heat until the oil begins to turn brown. Take your steak out of the fridge or freezer and cook until well. Season with ketchup to taste.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

Because amazingribs.com said so? How many Michelin stars do they have? I mean - there's nothing wrong with the Ducasse method; he's more concerned about the flavor of the meat itself and not so much about the carbonization of the marble. Me? I prefer more of a char. So I start by rendering the sides of the steak - as would Ducasse, but I flash it with high heat and finish it with high sear to char it.

It doesn't keep the juices in, which was the point. Resting is the only thing that helps steak keep its juices/flavor.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I agree with this more. A good cut and making sure it rests for at least half the time it took to cook it is key.

Finally something we can agree on.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ManofManyAliases posted:

Hey - it was a fairly large steak (22 ounces) and I gotta portion out those Prime cuts!

Then you leave the brown rice and quinoa and a side of sauteed baby spinach, that poo poo should be on your plate as you loosen your belt (lol) and belch.
This is steak 101 right here, cmon son

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

try heating the skillet on high to prepare, then pouring a bottle of isopropyl onto it

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
notacult.avi

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ManofManyAliases posted:

I agree with this approach for a ribeye - if you season and char the marbling properly, it's even better than the meat - melts in your mouth like butter. At least on a good cut. Most places gently caress it up royally and you wind up with a bunch of chewy gristle left on the plate that represents 50% of what you paid for.

I didn't intend for this to become a Star Citizen analogy when I wrote it.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

thatguy posted:

Never forget.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

I didn't intend for this to become a Star Citizen analogy when I wrote it.

Sad, chewed up, worthless, and overvalued

seems like a moomers analogy

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I've been following games and their development for a long time. There was even a time I was thinking about actually pursuing it as a career choice until I realized that I'd make more money and get just a tad bit more respect in gender politics at an actual corporation than a gaming developer.

I've never seen such a defense force for a game that has shown minimal actual "game". I mean Wildstar had more to show at this point in time at it's development cycle that started off an entire hype train that got massively derailed when people realized that while they were nostalgic for old-school WoW, they weren't down for playing a modern old-school WoW. (Also the developers took a good base game and continued finding ways to shoot themselves in the foot)

Star Citizen and it's horrendous PTU aside they've shown nothing in their "open development" and what they have shown is nothing but a buggy mess while it's defenders consistently misuse phrases and words to the point that it seems more like they are reassuring themselves of their "pledge" rather than defending it from attack. I know Derek has used the term "glorified crysis mod" but even then I'm sure some mod's have better stability and gunplay than whatever is going on with SC.

Pointy
Feb 12, 2003

hello old friend
Lol you guys got fed a steak by the burglar, what poor guard dogs

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Oh poo poo we are being derailed again

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Toops posted:

Solar Plebeian weekly update is up! I managed to pull off my first big test of the great engine swap of 2016. I ported assets into Unreal Engine 4 (had to completely re-texture them), and was able to reproduce the Flight Model I wrote in Unity over in UE4 fairly accurately in a weekend. I also took a crack at the particle system which is the superheated debris flying past the spaceship you'll see in the video below. It's still wonky, and not connected to ship speed yet, but it's there.

In terms of visual quality, rendering pipeline, there's absolutely no contest. UE4 looks fantastic. As for the code, it's C++ man. It's the official programming language of the Stimpire. I poo poo you not, I literally ruined my project due to a simple syntax error in C++. I made a change, hit compile, and the compiler crashed, which then caused Unreal Editor to crash. Then whenever I tried to re-open the project, it would crash. Corrupted the project files due to a loving syntax error. That was a real new one.

But, all in all, I think the results speak for themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awb0COi6cJw

10/10 Better than Star Citizen in 1/100th of the time

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
MOMA:

If the current PTU is an old codebase with a shiny new one hidden away why are they bothering to take bug reports for it? Why are they creating focused bug testing groups under an NDA to test an out of date code base that they've already surpassed in private?

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

he is beyond help, and only now wants to discuss steak... for it causes him to feel less grief

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

TTerrible posted:

MOMA:

If the current PTU is an old codebase with a shiny new one hidden away why are they bothering to take bug reports for it? Why are they creating focused bug testing groups under an NDA to test an out of date code base that they've already surpassed in private?
Because.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TTerrible posted:

MOMA:

Sorry but the incredible game is already almost done they just have flipped the switch yet. You would be amazed if you could see the things I have access to.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ManofManyAliases posted:

Nothing wrong with taking my stance and defending it. I'm of the opinion that, although they are claiming open development (at least more open than some other projects we see), there is still much under wraps that won't be shown.

You're right - there's nothing inherently wrong with taking any stance and defending it. However, there is ample historical evidence to draw from that indicates something other than better things "under wraps".

You seem to be looking at this like CIG is a stage magician - he just put the woman in the box, put 10 swords through it, and has now dramatically opened the lid. The audience holds its breath and the magician looks inside. You are the audience member who is thinking "This guy is a professional magician who knows what he's doing. Despite all visible evidence to the contrary, I happen to believe that the woman will pop out of this box unharmed. This guy does this for a living - this is his bread and butter. She's going to stand up and it's going to be great."

Goons are the people in the audience who did our homework. We found out that this magician has changed names and moved from state to state to hide the accumulation of sword-riddled bodies he left in his wake. We heard the muffled scream, we see the blood dripping out of the bottom of the box. You are the audience member believing it's part of the act - it's all special effects, and when she pops up, smiling and unharmed, we will be shamed in our hating of this great magician.

What you're missing here is that goons don't want this magician's assistant to die. It's quite the contrary. But when the magician opens the lid and looks inside, we are not confident as you that his next words will be "TA-DAA!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

inside the mind of the moomers:

He feels like he is 'winning', because people are responding to him seriously. so you might as well stop that anyways...

Serious responses ALSO show him to be an idiot but that is within his plans. He is willing to look like an idiot to show us he is not one.

also talking to this idiot about steak, really? for shame, goons. he is probably vegan.

• Locked thread