Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

So let's list the creative sources behind Star Citizen's development:

• This thread
  • Google image search
  • Chris' imagination
In descending order. I forgot any?

• Ben Lesnick, Developer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

:golfclap:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I don't believe that even you believe that.

Here's what I think, and let me know if I'm hitting close to home: I think you see the writing on the wall. I think you know how this poo poo is going to go down and you know that while some people do mean for the best for SC, upper management is less than competent and that the odds of CIG delivering anything even close to what they are suggesting they deliver is about zero. But I also think you don't want to give up your position in the community, whether it be for 'prestige' or simply because you want to see the fireworks from a closer seat. I think the second the project no longer is obviously viable to even the densest of SC backer, you'll jump ship and tell a story or three -- A day which I look forward to a great deal by the way!

He will never admit to that. The closest he has ever come is saying "...yeah, I know there are problems. so loving what?" :)

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Can someone make a sign for all tags at the same time?

Goons
Derek Smart
Don't send feedback
Snowflake
High maintenance
Exception
Grey Market Trader

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
This is awesome i'm laughing so bad right now.
We scored another point vs CIG. This is a massacre, not a game
Their open development means they are open to whatever goons dictate

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I'm a bit sad Ryan got refactored, I'd have loved to see more of "his" "art"

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Orions Lord posted:

I was just wondering about the costs etc.
And at work there is not much to do atm.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QJXN6npjVaMuzkyX4ggg_w3lcsJihkC86TndCpCJmNg/edit?usp=sharing

Very rough I am missing a lot of info but it's a start.

Your estimates are really bizarre. If you want to rent an Office in Manchester prices start around £100 per person per month. Now that's all found so no bills to add so not a bad place to work from. So considering Foundry 42 there are 77 people listed as working there on LinkedIn. So if they were renting an office the starting price would be about £7,700 per month (about $11,000). Now that's for a bargain basement office, the cheapest I could find in the area where their office actually is start at £199 per person per month. So you can double that estimate $22,000 a month is not an unreasonable estimate.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

So - no: you are nowhere close to home. You have absolutely no clue what's going on behind the scenes and are just projecting sentiment in this forum because that's what is expected of you. Want to be upset that you're not fed more screenshots of a working game? Want to feed on the childish, impatient emotions of entitled redditors that want what they want and need everything yesterday? Do it. This is as effective an echo-chamber as is that loving subreddit, as are the CIG forums, etc. In other words: not effective at all. What you perceive as effecting change when DS or another goon or a rouge redditor or whomever else makes a prediction is nothing but coincidence or speculation of a forced puzzle-piece when CIG is not even playing withe same puzzle. Are CIG's methods towards game development unorthodox? Yeah. Could this whole process be more streamlined, industry-norm and cleaner? Yes. But again, this is not a project like others out there.

That said, two things I want to note:

1) Some here, on reddit and CIG forums (or could just be the same people on all three) are quick to claim SCAM or FRAUD. The FBI, FTC, State AGs and other authorities are not idiots. I know from experience that when something with this much steam and attention becomes more public daily, people and authorities will take an interest in it. And such, if the notion of a scam or fraud ever became anything more, authorities would not wait for four years to effect an investigation (even just to start one). They most especially wouldn't allow a company to continue to accept donations/pledges/etc, to the tune of 100+ million dollars.

2) Aside from just a very small handful of lesser-known gaming media outlets, and perhaps one-three better known outlets, this forum (which represented, at one time, what, 300-400k worth of pledges?) and perhaps some discontent people on CIG forums and reddit, where else do you see people screaming SCAM and FRAUD?

No, what I think is happening is a lot of frustrated, impatient people want to see stuff NOW, and when they see items broken in testing - in alpha - they can't stand having shelled out real cash (which they were never forced to do - mind you) and not immediately seeing the benefits. There have no doubt been setbacks, missed deadlines, poor management decisions, etc, but I never believed there to be malcontent, intention to deceive or defraud, or the like.

So, think what you want: this is forum for discussion, no? I am still under the belief that CIG has a lot under wraps and we will get to see the fruits of that hard work and development while the naysayers remain silent.

Post bookmarked. That is all.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

• This thread
  • Google image search
  • Chris' imagination recollection of better SciFi franchises
In descending order. I forgot any?

e: fixed

The best part of this is that is true.

also what's going on with your avatar

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

I'm a bit sad Ryan got refactored, I'd have loved to see more of "his" "art"

• This thread

I guess the two things are related

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

D_Smart posted:

never forget the lols.

Never forget where the lols are coming from
Never pretend that game is real
In two weeks this will be just someone's broken dream

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Fair question. If I had the option, I likely would have pledged less - yes. However, of my 4k pledge, I've already made back $1,250 on sales.

edit: the Frankencode that you are seeing is older implementation of mPU that hasn't been updated with the newer developments from the Foundry 42 side. Give it time - once Foundry ramps down SQ42 they'll likely be able to port a lot of that over for mPU use.

uhm, sorry, but no. That's not how that works. There is a reason that the PU and SQ42 were branched off so that the poo poo that is the PU stays out of SQ42 code base. For one thing, the latter doesn't have multiplayer. So that's quite a bit of crap already stripped.

If they want they can of course integrate assets, and even minor bug fixes which are common between both code branches. But to assume that PU (multiplayer) is going to somehow benefit from SQ42 (single-player) in any meaningful fashion, is pure - and utter - bullshit.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Lol moma is a sick troll, well done dude. nobody can seriously care this much about a video game for free.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

seriously why do you care so much to defend it like something you have a lot invested in

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

He will never admit to that. The closest he has ever come is saying "...yeah, I know there are problems. so loving what?" :)

You skipped a few steps there.

CIG apologism strategy (Try x. If disproven, try x+1.)
  1. That's obviously fake. Also, so blatantly slanderous it might well be legally actionable.
  2. So what if it's true, it's no big deal at all. It's just what they have to do to deal with incredibly toxic workplace menaces like you. I fully support their doing so and hope they'll keep doing it.
  3. Ok so they stopped doing it, that's just proof they run a serious company that's capable of responding to legitimate criticism. My faith in them has only increased because of this episode.
  4. ...so that's what they... I dunno, I'm kinda, uh, I can see both sides of this issue...? No, wait, (lemme try this'n,) we'll have to wait for their side of the story, everything else is just guessing.
  5. Yeah, well, I just bought in for another $1000, so take that Dr. Derpy Smurf :smuggo:

Deedrix
Jun 6, 2016

"Give me money and I'll give you shit in return."
CIG ToS

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Google Butt posted:

seriously why do you care so much to defend it like something you have a lot invested in

For the last time, that's disposable income! He obviously doesn't care about it.

Did got know that every time you buy something you risk not getting it? That's reality, sorry you don't love on it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

uhm, sorry, but no. That's not how that works. There is a reason that the PU and SQ42 were branched off so that the poo poo that is the PU stays out of SQ42 code base. For one thing, the latter doesn't have multiplayer. So that's quite a bit of crap already stripped.

If they want they can of course integrate assets, and even minor bug fixes which are common between both code branches. But to assume that PU (multiplayer) is going to somehow benefit from SQ42 (single-player) in any meaningful fashion, is pure - and utter - bullshit.

Squadron 42 better have multiplayer. Co-operative play was a core gameplay mechanic, and while CIG pulled the drop-in/drop-out portion of it they then confirmed there would be isolated missions with co-op. That's not say anyone should expect CIG to actually follow through on a basic mechanic that's been promised from the beginning. They've already demonstrated a willingness to ignore anything said in the past.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Page looks like this on my box lmao they can't even make a decent page.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
No one mentioned that Sandi's character is named Morona? As in stupid?

Yeah I know I photo shopped out the last A, sue me.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Truga posted:

Page looks like this on my box lmao they can't even make a decent page.

They've literally took a screenshot of the site, and used it as the whole page.
They've done it the absolute quickest way they could, by making a jpeg (lol) then logging into zendesk and using it as the offline image, no coders needed.
It's superbly funny in every way possible.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
So I messaged Jason Schreier on Reddit about the CS Tags thing and he said it sounded crazy if true. He said he was going to take a look at it, but that it would probably have to wait until after E3. I emailed him a bunch of links etc so maybe look for the story to get picked up on Kotaku in a few weeks?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Nothing wrong with taking my stance and defending it. I'm of the opinion that, although they are claiming open development (at least more open than some other projects we see), there is still much under wraps that won't be shown.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

ManofManyAliases posted:

Nothing wrong with taking my stance and defending it. I'm of the opinion that, although they are claiming open development (at least more open than some other projects we see), there is still much under wraps that won't be shown.

Which is why they 1 month or 2 ago say that they will attend E3, to reveal all which you claim...

...except, they cancelled it at the last minute inexplicably. You don't do that if you have 'much under wraps' as you put it. You do it if you're a goddamn bullshitter and you couldn't fake it until you make it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

ManofManyAliases posted:

Answer my questions thanks

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

ManofManyAliases posted:

see this is my opinion too

except for with the word 'ever' after 'still much under wraps that won't be shown'

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Can we get some sort of mod that blatantly pastes that under construction sign on top of every element of the game.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMGyLJ6POhs&t=20s

Deedrix
Jun 6, 2016

CIG ToS

BinaryDoubts posted:

So I messaged Jason Schreier on Reddit about the CS Tags thing and he said it sounded crazy if true. He said he was going to take a look at it, but that it would probably have to wait until after E3. I emailed him a bunch of links etc so maybe look for the story to get picked up on Kotaku in a few weeks?

Problem is with that is that CIG are frantically trying to get rid of the evidence as quick as possible.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

"I'm of the opinion the opinion that although they're claiming open development they are lying"

Welcome to the correct side MoMA!

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

lol

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Deedrix posted:

Problem is with that is that CIG are frantically trying to get rid of the evidence as quick as possible.

Welcome aboard, enjoy your stay.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Scruffpuff posted:

We've done more to dictate CIG's direction than anyone paid to work there.
to be fair, a redditor found the zendesk thing first

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

Ash1138 posted:

reddit pointed out archergate first too.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Google Butt posted:

Answer my questions thanks

What - why do I care to defend it? Because I see a lot of misinformation thrown around by both camps- misinformation based on speculation and lack of insight by all of us. Not one of us is close enough to the project to say definitively how something is or should be, and yet, we all act like we know.

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

SomethingJones posted:

I'd like to hear the story about the ToS again too. It's my favorite.

MoMMA MoMMA Please. Tell us the story of the ToS again.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

What - why do I care to defend it? Because I see a lot of misinformation thrown around by both camps- misinformation based on speculation and lack of insight by all of us. Not one of us is close enough to the project to say definitively how something is or should be, and yet, we all act like we know.

Can you ask Chris next time he's in the office, tia

Deedrix
Jun 6, 2016

CIG ToS

Ash1138 posted:

Well I shrugged it off on june 1st

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011