Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
http://twitter.com/MattBors/status/739837760014553088

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
It's a shame that the Republican party is getting a pass because of Trump.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

How is it awesome for the folks being relieved? My understanding is that the reason the debt is so cheap is because "the folks'" credit score has already been trashed and the debt written off, so instead of the collection service getting the $0 they assumed and budgeted for, now they have a free $60,000 from John Oliver at no benefit to the debtors. It's not like John Oliver paying their debt is going to make their credit score go back up.

Mainly because the debtors have a letter saying it's been paid so if anyone on that chain of creditors says they owe it, there's a letter they can provide to the reporting agencies saying it isn't owed anymore. Yes, collection agencies will (likely through bad recordkeeping and the Byzantine mess that is the industry, but maybe in an attempt to spook someone into paying) re-report paid or expired debts and having incontrovertible proof of settlement is a weapon against that. I mean there's also the emotional relief when it turns out their appendix isn't haunting them anymore after a decade or whatever but the debt industry is a fairly lovely place on the balance of things and giving people a clear exit from that spectre is a good thing even if technically they didn't owe.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Honestly, it's this kind of eye-rolling that makes it difficult to stand certain leftists/progressive snarkers on Twitter. "Oh wow do you want a cookie for being a decent human being" is sometimes fitting and funny, but not necessarily that appealing when it's your response to every situation where someone's trying to do the right thing.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

On one hard it's a good thing that people are chastising Trump's openly racist narratives and distancing them from those since it's pretty hosed up he's bring back open bigotry. On the other it's not hard to feel a little cynical that these companies were totally fine with GOP policies that are mostly in line with Trump when they were dog whistling them (anti Muslim xenophobia, blaming illegals for all our problems, droughts in California are the fault of environmentalists, hilariously incompetent foreign and financial policies) and presumably will be again once Trump is gone and nothing has fundamentally changed.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Bors's twitter is so good.

https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/739641163246936064

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Honestly, it's this kind of eye-rolling that makes it difficult to stand certain leftists/progressive snarkers on Twitter. "Oh wow do you want a cookie for being a decent human being" is sometimes fitting and funny, but not necessarily that appealing when it's your response to every situation where someone's trying to do the right thing.

Also, while they certainly gained, the main point of what they did was to take a swipe at Trump, and I think they did that successfully.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Well looks like Snowden's coming home. If When Johnson gets elected looks like he want's to give him a pardon!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/johnson-on-snowden?utm_term=.xw1dVbE1VY#.cqljDMRpDz

I'm sure Snowden's packing his bags as we speak.

Also can Snowden still vote? I Assume as technically he's still a US citizen he can.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This loving election.

quote:

‘Dilbert’ cartoonist Scott Adams thinks he’ll be assassinated if he doesn’t endorse Clinton

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/06/dilbert-cartoonist-scott-adams-thinks-hell-be-assassinated-if-he-doesnt-endorse-clinton/

quote:

“So I’ve decided to endorse Hillary Clinton for President, for my personal safety,” Adams said. “Trump supporters don’t have any bad feelings about patriotic Americans such as myself, so I’ll be safe from that crowd. But Clinton supporters have convinced me – and here I am being 100% serious – that my safety is at risk if I am seen as supportive of Trump. So I’m taking the safe way out and endorsing Hillary Clinton for president.”

highme fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 6, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
you've got chutzpah, adams, i'll give you that . . .

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Dilbert Daddy might be in need of a lengthy discussion with a therapist.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Love the MRA references.
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/05/dilbert-creator-crazy-clown-trump-has-fooled-voters-into-thinking-hes-qualified-to-be-president/
That's what the 'hypnotist' bits refer to, I think.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Stultus Maximus posted:

I just saw the picture and was briefly disappointed that Bob Mould wasn't running for president.

They won't let him bring his DJ equipment, apparently someone in the white house isn't a fan of Euro House.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

dr_rat posted:

Well looks like Snowden's coming home. If When Johnson gets elected looks like he want's to give him a pardon!

https://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/johnson-on-snowden?utm_term=.xw1dVbE1VY#.cqljDMRpDz

I'm sure Snowden's packing his bags as we speak.

Also can Snowden still vote? I Assume as technically he's still a US citizen he can.

This is actually an interesting question. He is a legal resident in Russia but I don't think there's absentee balloting abroad so he'd have to go in person to the polling place at the embassy in Moscow. Could the embassy detain him? The embassy grounds are not actually sovereign US soil despite a common misunderstanding to the contrary so it seems unlikely. Obviously as Snowden I would never take the chance.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

I'm not sure my eyes can roll enough to adequately respond to Bors here.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The subtext to this is Trump refuses to treat buzzfeeed like a media organization and it was expected that buzzfeed was going to be banned from covering the RNC.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Academician Nomad posted:

Not really, because it was out-of-regulation debt, meaning it had already legally expired and the companies can't legally pursue it anyway. Scummy debt collectors might pursue it anyway, assuming the debtor doesn't know the law, but such a scummy debt collector might also pursue it after selling it off to a TV show, so not much gained.

You can pursue debts for as long as you want. The only thing that expires is the statute of limitations, but you can still ask people to pay back debts after this period. You can ask someone to pay a 10 or 20 year old debt, you just can't sue them for it (generally)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It would have been better if he'd purchased non expired debt but this is still a nice gesture. It's a Stunt of the Week but as stunts go it it's a good one.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The best part about Dilbert Guy is that he literally said he'd be a "top 10 assassination target"

Motherfucker, you draw a cartoon that hasn't been relevant in like 20 years and you are totally irrelevant.

He seriously needs counseling. This is some "random assholes in the midwest are convinced their kleenex boxes have anthrax in them because dust comes out when they open the box" poo poo.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FairGame posted:

The best part about Dilbert Guy is that he literally said he'd be a "top 10 assassination target"

Motherfucker, you draw a cartoon that hasn't been relevant in like 20 years and you are totally irrelevant.

He seriously needs counseling. This is some "random assholes in the midwest are convinced their kleenex boxes have anthrax in them because dust comes out when they open the box" poo poo.

I'm reminded more of all the podunk towns convinced their grain silos and boat ramps were suddenly top priority terror targets immediately post 9/11

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Teddybear posted:

Dilbert Daddy might be in need of a lengthy discussion with a therapist.

That's been clear for a while, never more so than the time he claimed that it's perfectly understandable that men become terrorists and spree killers when they can't get any action.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 6, 2016

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

FairGame posted:

I hope Hillary rejects his endorsement, just to gently caress with him.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Last time China's gender gap was discussed in D&D people unironically argued that civil war was inevitable for the same reason so at least he's in good company on that one :grin:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It would have been better if he'd purchased non expired debt but this is still a nice gesture. It's a Stunt of the Week but as stunts go it it's a good one.

A big part of the reason he did it was because it's a record-breaking amount for live television, which is kinda funny.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SoggyBobcat posted:

I hope Hillary rejects his endorsement, just to gently caress with him.

I hope she completely ignores it like every sane person does with that idiot's blog.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Chantilly Say posted:

I feel like we're talking about different situations. Between friends you can be honest and open and discuss things in good faith with your guard down, but you can't treat that as the norm.

If you treat every political conversation like one you're having with a friend/friends you will quickly find that is indeed the case. Honesty and good faith are rewarded with honesty and good faith, and if they aren't then you've lost nothing.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Radish posted:

On one hard it's a good thing that people are chastising Trump's openly racist narratives and distancing them from those since it's pretty hosed up he's bring back open bigotry. On the other it's not hard to feel a little cynical that these companies were totally fine with GOP policies that are mostly in line with Trump when they were dog whistling them (anti Muslim xenophobia, blaming illegals for all our problems, droughts in California are the fault of environmentalists, hilariously incompetent foreign and financial policies) and presumably will be again once Trump is gone and nothing has fundamentally changed.
Ha. Ha ha ha.
You think that, after Trump's defeat in November, that we as a nation are going to go "Well, that was weird. Back to business as usual!" No. No loving way. The humiliations of establishment favorites will not be forgotten. The bent knees will not be forgotten.
Trump has changed things, forever.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/739845605703442432
My home state did something cool and good for once.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

I think Trump will briefly ruin the GOP establishment's control on the party, but the right wing will regroup and start over. They'll build new dogwhistles and reduce the religious focus (after all, this year showed you can snub the loving pope and still be in it), and start with libertarian-sounding economic policy that quickly shifts back to right-of-center corporatism.

Trump's destroyed the Southern Strategy dogwhistles by showing the world what the right really wants. But they can't win general elections like that.

Considering this is demographic poison in the near future, the GOP will focus less on getting the executive branch and more on keeping the house. They'll double down on obstruction and label Hillary as a do-nothing president who vetos every "job creating bill." (Every GOP-drafted bill will have the Job Creating prefix, like The Job Creating Safe Bathrooms Act, or The Job Creating Fetal Stand Your Ground Act) And Voter ID. Lots of Voter ID, ideally enacted before midterms but kept hushed before generals lest it backfire.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

EwokEntourage posted:

You can pursue debts for as long as you want. The only thing that expires is the statute of limitations, but you can still ask people to pay back debts after this period. You can ask someone to pay a 10 or 20 year old debt, you just can't sue them for it (generally)

Even better the collectors can and will ask others to ask you to pay the debt you don't owe anymore, legally cannot be collected on, and even in this case has been forgiven.

I sure bet your mom would love a call at 5 AM telling her how much money you """"""""""owe"""""""""" to them. Or your boss? Bet he'd love to hear all about your financial situation. Neighbors? Sure call them up and say 'Hi I'm from "ABC Delinquent Debt Collection, Deadbeat Harassers and People Owe Us A Lot Of Money Inc." do you know how I can get in contact with EwokEntourage for a private affair related to some activities on September 17th of last year that I'm totally not allowed to talk to you about?"

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SumYungGui posted:

Even better the collectors can and will ask others to ask you to pay the debt you don't owe anymore, legally cannot be collected on, and even in this case has been forgiven.

I sure bet your mom would love a call at 5 AM telling her how much money you """"""""""owe"""""""""" to them. Or your boss? Bet he'd love to hear all about your financial situation. Neighbors? Sure call them up and say 'Hi I'm from "ABC Delinquent Debt Collection, Deadbeat Harassers and People Owe Us A Lot Of Money Inc." do you know how I can get in contact with EwokEntourage for a private affair related to some activities on September 17th of last year that I'm totally not allowed to talk to you about?"

I thought that was specifically not allowed under the law? I get that debt collection is really about snookering people who don't know their rights, but that plan seems destined for a lawsuit pretty quickly.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

rkajdi posted:

I thought that was specifically not allowed under the law? I get that debt collection is really about snookering people who don't know their rights, but that plan seems destined for a lawsuit pretty quickly.

They don't have enough money to pay their debts but they mysteriously have enough money to pay for a lawyer?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

rkajdi posted:

The shadiest debt collectors don't give a poo poo about the law, they threaten people with arrest and lawsuits, call after you've told them to stop, fail to send you documentation of the claimed debt as required by law if you ask for it, violate basically all the rules. And when you try to track them down they've shuttered (and probably set back up under a different name).

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

rkajdi posted:

If they even know their rights and can afford the lawsuit, which right off the bat should tell you absolutely everything you need to know before even reading another word, what good is it going to do against an address in Delaware that gets some paper shuffled around and vanishes? Who do you sue when the company is gone? The exact same group of people in the same building doing the same thing with the same lists of people and debt? Nah they're totally unrelated. Different company, not liable.

...and I don't even do this for a living so imagine the bullshit that people know when their paycheck depends on knowing it!

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

They don't have enough money to pay their debts but they mysteriously have enough money to pay for a lawyer?

I'm mostly thinking when they run into the wrong person. I mean, with stuff that's as blatantly out there as what's being discussed, the odds of running into someone who isn't actually poor seems like a distinct possibility. And just a single judgement or two might be enough to evaporate all the profits of the endeavor. Also, isn't this the kind of thing the new Consumer Protection bureau was set up to stop? I guess I have too much faith in actual government institutions doing anything they are chartered to do.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

rkajdi posted:

I'm mostly thinking when they run into the wrong person. I mean, with stuff that's as blatantly out there as what's being discussed, the odds of running into someone who isn't actually poor seems like a distinct possibility. And just a single judgement or two might be enough to evaporate all the profits of the endeavor. Also, isn't this the kind of thing the new Consumer Protection bureau was set up to stop? I guess I have too much faith in actual government institutions doing anything they are chartered to do.

The second they run into someone who knows what they are talking about they probably hang up and don't call back.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Wow take a look at this article

Trump Does Not Have A Campaign

There's too much in here to just quote select parts of it, you need to read it all. But it's worth it.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Dexo posted:

The second they run into someone who knows what they are talking about they probably hang up and don't call back.

I have this internet comment bookmarked in case it ever comes up: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7135833

(I know, Hacker News, but I promise it's a good one.)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Jesus christ GOP, Speaking as a liberal i'm glad you aren't going to but holy poo poo take the nomination away from him.

You guys are gonna get skull hosed in the general if you allow him to run, if his organization is that bad, after the long rear end republican primary season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump's campaign management is literally based on the Working Towards the Fuhrer model.

• Locked thread