Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Geniasis posted:

"You were right and I was wrong. I'm sorry that I hurt you and from the bottom of my heart I apologize"

Such arrogance

Donald Trump, humblest man on earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sharkie posted:

Chantilly you're saying things based off some scenario you have in your head but it's nonsense. You can confidently deny you made a mistake. Or, you can arrogantly deny you made a mistake. You can confidently admit a mistake and resolve to do better. Or, I suppose, you can arrogantly resolve to do better, although this kind of strikes most people as odd, as you can also humbly admit a mistake and resolve to do better. It doesn't have to be one or the other. You're picturing some person who doesn't care whether they're right or wrong and their sole goal is to win an argument and while that can happen it's not the case that this is the only reason anyone ever does something like that, nor is it the case that anyone saying "I'll try to do better" actually believes that they'll be perfect and never say something stupid again from that point on. You can apply "confident" or "arrogant" to either of those positions. Or you can apply "humble" to someone admitting a mistake.

It's based off the scenario of being called out for saying something racist. Why don't most people apologize? Because they perceive it as a personal attack and try to shut it down just by denying it, which doesn't really work, but we're socialized against saying "yes, I did a bad thing."

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Chantilly Say posted:

It's based off the scenario of being called out for saying something racist. Why don't most people apologize? Because they perceive it as a personal attack and try to shut it down just by denying it, which doesn't really work, but we're socialized against saying "yes, I did a bad thing."

Do you have resources to back up what you're saying? I recall recently some articles saying how the best way to convince someone out of anti-LGBT bigotry was to sit with them and explain their own lives to the person. Going off of my own life experience that seems accurate--my politics have been greatly formed by the people whom I've gotten to know and speak to, and because they are my friends, their concerns are more real to me, and prompt me to reconsider my opinions.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Crowsbeak posted:

Ah yes ensuring people have served their country is really a bourgeois plot to put wool over the protoletariats eyes and serve Capital.
Nah, I just figure it'd be a way to extract labor at a discount. I mean, it depends on the model of what's going on - if it's some kind of vocational program or CCC or whatever, and it's not actively being used to displace other sectors of the economy, sure. But in the current environment? I suspect it would mostly be for poor people and would be corvee labor in all but name.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

fade5 posted:

https://twitter.com/FaceTheNation/status/739436549842964481
Good news! Trump is still an absolute loving moron.

Like I said, this is why I'm not worried about Hillary v Trump.

Have Trump's eyes always been this puffy?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chantilly Say posted:

But "yes, I did a bad thing" isn't inherently arrogant though. The distinction between arrogance and confidence you've drawn when a person refuses to admit fault isn't inherent either. I think you're using these words in an idiosyncratic way and it's confusing and strikes people as not corresponding to their experiences or their understanding of what these words mean and how they're used.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Nessus posted:

Nah, I just figure it'd be a way to extract labor at a discount. I mean, it depends on the model of what's going on - if it's some kind of vocational program or CCC or whatever, and it's not actively being used to displace other sectors of the economy, sure. But in the current environment? I suspect it would mostly be for poor people and would be corvee labor in all but name.

Well, we do have Americorp. There are definitely bad experiences from that, but at the same time, I'm part of Americorp, and I'm going to be doing the next year with a growing community library/community growth org, my friend is helping a resettlement program for refugees, and my other friend is helping an urban agricultural nonprofit. All receiving meager living stipends but still. Maybe your mileage may vary, but from my experience, it's not much of a displacement.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Internet Kraken posted:

Have Trump's eyes always been this puffy?

pretty much. At least going off of how political cartoonists have been drawing him for the last year or so.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sharkie posted:

But "yes, I did a bad thing" isn't inherently arrogant though. The distinction between arrogance and confidence you've drawn when a person refuses to admit fault isn't inherent either. I think you're using these words in an idiosyncratic way and it's confusing and strikes people as not corresponding to their experiences or their understanding of what these words mean and how they're used.

Maybe it's perspective. If you're making the attack and someone deals with it assertively, it's probably arrogance from your perspective. You said they did something bad, why aren't they ashamed? If you're the one being assertive you can frame it as confidence from your perspective.

Like, in specific situations where people argue in good faith and are willing to accept apologies, the framing you're using holds, but those are private arenas that probably aren't my business to talk about.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

Yeah I think saying don't do something because it could be corrupted is a very bad argument .

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Vote by mail is a disaster on the back end of management though.

Can you elaborate? Even if it is more complicated to manage, the increased convenience, lowered costs, and increased turnout is worth it. Vote by mail is wildly popular in Oregon, Washington, and Colorado, and there has been no evidence of voter fraud being a serious problem.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Chantilly Say posted:

Maybe it's perspective. If you're making the attack and someone deals with it assertively, it's probably arrogance from your perspective. You said they did something bad, why aren't they ashamed? If you're the one being assertive you can frame it as confidence from your perspective.

Like, in specific situations where people argue in good faith and are willing to accept apologies, the framing you're using holds, but those are private arenas that probably aren't my business to talk about.

Most people wouldn't see that as arrogance though. They would see it as an act of humility that the other person could accept that they might be wrong about something.

Your definition of arrogance is sort of a complete 180 from the common usage.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Dexo posted:

I disagree that voting should be mandatory. A non-vote or abstaining is a vote or statement of no confidence. If you don't like any of your options you shouldn't have to vote for them. I do however think voting needs to somehow be made more convenient. I just don't have a good solution for that. Since voting isn't mandatory however it is in my best interest for conservatives to not vote. The goal of any election is GotV, and dissuading the other side from voting.

I'm fine with dissuading the other side from voting through words or arguments, not so fine with dissuading the from voting through outright lies, or making it significantly harder for them to vote if they want to(Voter ID, lol Alabama only has like two places to get ID in the entire state). For Example, Trump and Republicans trying to either get them on their side or dissuade Bernie Supporters from voting is perfectly A-OK to me. It's part of the game. Them lying about voting times, or absentee ballot rules, or sending misleading mailers that make it seem like you are breaking the law or something if you don't vote is where I draw the line.

Also Mandatory voting would end up just being another way to lock up or fine to hell and back poor people.

I feel like not voting is actually a vote for consent to whatever bullshit they like.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Xanderkish posted:

Do you have resources to back up what you're saying? I recall recently some articles saying how the best way to convince someone out of anti-LGBT bigotry was to sit with them and explain their own lives to the person. Going off of my own life experience that seems accurate--my politics have been greatly formed by the people whom I've gotten to know and speak to, and because they are my friends, their concerns are more real to me, and prompt me to reconsider my opinions.

I feel like we're talking about different situations. Between friends you can be honest and open and discuss things in good faith with your guard down, but you can't treat that as the norm.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Antti posted:

This is such perfectly timed and executed self-immolation that I'm really tempted by the Hillary plant conspiracy theory.

He carefully started with this poo poo* only after the GOPe had bent the knee, and now he's feeding all the ammunition possible to Clinton, who is relishing at the chance, and he's distracting people from the Democratic infighting while letting Clinton be presidential and on the attack. And whenever it's in danger of going away he opens his mouth again. :allears:

* Edit: Yes, he's been racist all along, but he's getting more and more blatant about it. At this point he's swallowed the dogwhistle.

It's hard to get more blatant than "Mexico sends us their rapists and other criminals/undesirables" or wanting actual Nazi-era registration and identification for Muslims. Trump hasn't been ramping up, he's been full on bullhorn racist from the start.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Can you elaborate? Even if it is more complicated to manage, the increased convenience, lowered costs, and increased turnout is worth it. Vote by mail is wildly popular in Oregon, Washington, and Colorado, and there has been no evidence of voter fraud being a serious problem.

Yea, my biggest complaint about vote by mail, living in Washington, is that if I want to mail it I have to pay for postage, but there are dropboxes everywhere so it isn't exactly a huge issue.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
what if we get mandatory voting, then one guy runs on the platform of repealing mandatory voting and gets all the votes

makes u think

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

VikingofRock posted:

For people who think voting should be mandatory: what do you think the penalty should be for not voting?

Hit in the rear end with a broom from a moving car when they're walking on the sidewalk. Don't remember the movie that happened in.

Also, "undecided" voters who brag about being undecided should have their car's rear axle tied to some solid structure as in American Graffiti. If they don't have cars, someone should put a used urinal cake in their pocket.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Chantilly Say posted:

I feel like we're talking about different situations. Between friends you can be honest and open and discuss things in good faith with your guard down, but you can't treat that as the norm.

I think your mental image of honest discourse is horribly contaminated by the internet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah I think saying don't do something because it could be corrupted is a very bad argument .
I dunno, that's the reason behind why we mysteriously can't have all sorts of basic social welfare programs. "Might get corrupted, might get used to bad ends."

I have no beef with Americorps. I do think some kind of "mandatory service" thing would need more details for me to support it, due to the risk of it becoming "we draft poor people to fix roads and barely pay them."

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, it's a little crazy to get upset that people vigorously defend themselves from accusations of racism when we have people ITT saying that they don't have to respond to any of MattD1zzl3's arguments, because he said something construed as racist last year.

When someone accuses the person they're arguing with of racism, it's never "hey, you make a good point, but I think the language you used indicates certain unexamined biases, something we all have, and which it might be worth reflecting on in the future" it is 99.9% of the time an attempt to shut down the other party with, "you're racist and everything you say should be ignored or treated with uncharitable suspicion."

This is a good post. So much online discussion isn't so much an attempt to exchange ideas and truly convince someone your idea is right, but to play "gotcha!" with people.

I mean poo poo, a few days ago I posted my idea about having contractors run everything in the government, people said "that's a terrible idea" and explained, I changed my mind and people were acting like Martians just showed up. It baffles the poo poo out of me that people treat online discussion like this. "Winning" an online discussion doesn't do jack poo poo for anyone.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

axeil posted:

This is a good post. So much online discussion isn't so much an attempt to exchange ideas and truly convince someone your idea is right, but to play "gotcha!" with people.

I mean poo poo, a few days ago I posted my idea about having contractors run everything in the government, people said "that's a terrible idea" and explained, I changed my mind and people were acting like Martians just showed up. It baffles the poo poo out of me that people treat online discussion like this. "Winning" an online discussion doesn't do jack poo poo for anyone.

It's not just an internet phenomenon really. The Domocratic party in particular is making some toxic use of ID politics and have been since maybe 2003-5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeiPVPEtino&t=128s

Interesting article on the subject

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 6, 2016

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the GOP thread, because this is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gra34FVFGaE

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

I dunno, that's the reason behind why we mysteriously can't have all sorts of basic social welfare programs. "Might get corrupted, might get used to bad ends."

I have no beef with Americorps. I do think some kind of "mandatory service" thing would need more details for me to support it, due to the risk of it becoming "we draft poor people to fix roads and barely pay them."
Yeah and when did I argue against a Government option for healthcare, welfare, or a free college? Also I would want it to be universal and what is wrong with fixing our infrastructure?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah and when did I argue against a Government option for healthcare, welfare, or a free college? Also I would want it to be universal and what is wrong with fixing our infrastructure?

If you fix people's infrastructure then what are they gonna learn? They're just gonna take and take and take. Give them roads and they're just going to use them to drive to their drug dealer. Electricity and they'll just use the air conditioning to laze around out of the blistering heat of global warming. Clean water to drink and they'll no longer thirst for improvement. This country built it's capital on a filthy swamp without air conditioning, sewers, or safe drinking water. If it was good enough for the Founders, then by GOD, it should be good enough for the lazy roustabouts of today.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Gyges posted:

If you fix people's infrastructure then what are they gonna learn? They're just gonna take and take and take. Give them roads and they're just going to use them to drive to their drug dealer. Electricity and they'll just use the air conditioning to laze around out of the blistering heat of global warming. Clean water to drink and they'll no longer thirst for improvement. This country built it's capital on a filthy swamp without air conditioning, sewers, or safe drinking water. If it was good enough for the Founders, then by GOD, it should be good enough for the lazy roustabouts of today.

I was asking for why he felt the left should oppose it. Not why the National Review would.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Governor Cuomo has opened a new battle in the ongoing battle for America's pro-Israel policy. And the next Senate Majority Leader is on board.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Full Battle Rattle posted:

what if we get mandatory voting, then one guy runs on the platform of repealing mandatory voting and gets all the votes

makes u think

This reminds me of a short story I read back in college. I can't remember the name of the author, but he was some Edwardian intellectual type. Anyway, the story was about how the king of England ended the women's suffrage movement by making women's suffrage both mandatory and holding elections frequently and at random and inconvenient times.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/739375193647353857

Shut the gently caress up Piers Morgan

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
lol this thread reads like a shrieking tumblr

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lite_sleepr posted:

That's just your internal monologue

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

lite_sleepr posted:

Oh so you like Piers.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

That's just your internal monologue

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh so you like Piers.

:lol: the last 3 pages saw the word racis(t)(m) used 65 times

This is how I imagine people post in this thread: :sissies:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hillary has an outside shot at clinching tonight.

Unlike this thread that has a chance of clinching every few minutes.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

If you see people talking about racism and your first thought is "lol Tumblr", you should probably get off the internet for a while, you're in too deep

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/davidafrench/status/739618528333008897

Shocked!

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

So that was, what? One week?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Racism, the noted concept invented by tumblr in 2015

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Xanderkish posted:

So that was, what? One week?

I have a feeling French found out about his hat being tossed into the ring at the exact same moment everyone else did. Bill Kristol is honestly that stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Majority Leader Chuck Schumer almost makes the idea of the Republicans retaining control of the Senate tolerable.

• Locked thread