Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

mrmcd posted:

Also the screenshot is from a Windows computer for some reason?? Hasn't everything they've been using on the show so far been a MacBooks or Linux?

Jared's setup from the episode. I can't tell what the actual product is to save my life but that looks like Windows to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They code on macs altho I think Gilfoyle is on a PC. I can't be sure.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Weren't all of Jared's beta invites lady names, though? Not that ladies can't be engineers, but I assumed it's the ones he's been taking back to the garage.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Vintersorg posted:

They code on macs altho I think Gilfoyle is on a PC. I can't be sure.

Even then Richard's system appears to be running some other OS based on the theme.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I love that in almost every scene Bighead is in he is holding a big gulp.

Jared was amazing in this episode but that's like saying water is wet. All of his beta invites were women, probably involved in the tech business. Maybe Jared has been secretly whoring himself out to help Pied Piper.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Next weeks looks loving amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MAGyRh3i_4

Seems they got a ton of cash and are merchandising things out.

I want that Pied Piper jacket.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I love that Gavin doesn't understand how anything works and gets mad at anyone who tries to help him.

Edit: Oh poo poo, the rats on the sleeves.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Illinois Smith posted:

Was kind of surprised we got through her scenes with Richard without another nerd meltdown but I guess they're saving it all for next week when the world at large drops a steaming pile of poo poo on his genius creation.

I was preemptively wincing when he confronted her in the hookah bar.

So with Bachman's despondence at the end of the episode, they were implying that he was forced to sell all of his shares, but the outstanding debt they alluded to was 1 million (?). Based on Gavin buying Endframe for 250 million, shouldn't Bachman's 10% be worth ~25 million? Arguably more since they're much further in the pipeline than Endframe? Even if he lost 10/20/50% of the value by selling it, that seems like a huge gap.

I wonder if they're just setting up a repeat of Russ Haneman's overdramatic "I'm financially ruined!" sequence where Bachman is just being wildly overdramatic about dropping from 10 to 9%.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Hollismason posted:

I like that the stakes just keep getting raised each season. Also, loving Gavin's security guard.

"You're so high maintenance!" :laffo:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, I missed the rats on the sleeves when I saw that last night. Just, holy loving LOL

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Avasculous posted:

I was preemptively wincing when he confronted her in the hookah bar.

So with Bachman's despondence at the end of the episode, they were implying that he was forced to sell all of his shares, but the outstanding debt they alluded to was 1 million (?). Based on Gavin buying Endframe for 250 million, shouldn't Bachman's 10% be worth ~25 million? Arguably more since they're much further in the pipeline than Endframe? Even if he lost 10/20/50% of the value by selling it, that seems like a huge gap.

I wonder if they're just setting up a repeat of Russ Haneman's overdramatic "I'm financially ruined!" sequence where Bachman is just being wildly overdramatic about dropping from 10 to 9%.

Well, just because Pied Piper could now be potentially worth $250 mil, Bachman was selling his shares (at least some of them) to another investor who had inside knowledge of the general state of the project. She also could very well be aware of his financial situation, and even though she's a robot, she wouldn't necessarily buy him out for exactly 100% of the company's supposed potential net worth. Hell, she wouldn't really have to be anywhere near that because of Bachman's situation.

It's possible, likely even, she low-balled him, because the fact of the matter is selling those shares was the only way he could pay off his debts before the blog that he now owned publicized his insolvency. This assumes she knew something about his financial situation, which isn't unreasonable given her intelligence.

By the way, someone was asking why he couldn't just wait until the product launched to sell some shares or use some dividends or something. Well, there's no guarantee that the product will be an immediate success, but even if there were, Bachman was under the gun--his own tech blog was about to publicize his and Big Head's financial insolvency. That would be disastrous, I'm guessing, and that's why he had to act so quickly. He could not let that news get out. Maybe for business reasons, or maybe for ego reasons, but that was the impetus: the story about his party not being paid for.

... and also also also, maybe Bachman sold just enough shares for some important milestone to be reached. He got enough money to pay his debts and kept some shares, but by selling a certain number, maybe some weird control issue has popped up and Pied Piper will now be more under the thumb of their primary investor. Maybe. I don't know.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

But was he wearing kneepads?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

mrmcd posted:

Also the screenshot is from a Windows computer for some reason?? Hasn't everything they've been using on the show so far been a MacBooks or Linux?

I think Jared pretty consistently uses Windows machines. PCs, at least, guess they could be running Linux.

I have the same type of laptop he uses in some of the scenes in the new (now ex) Pied Piper offices, leading to my partner who refers to Jared as "the gross one" to give me lots of poo poo about it. Best show.

tarlibone posted:

... and also also also, maybe Bachman sold just enough shares for some important milestone to be reached. He got enough money to pay his debts and kept some shares, but by selling a certain number, maybe some weird control issue has popped up and Pied Piper will now be more under the thumb of their primary investor. Maybe. I don't know.

Was waiting for this to come up in the last scene; that Erlich somehow screwed it up by selling his shares to Laurie and presumably giving up his board seat as well. Not too late, but it would actually be nice if they could launch successfully without one of them loving it up. And then deal with the shitstorm of terrible UX design later.

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 6, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

Was waiting for this to come up in the last scene; that Erlich somehow screwed it up by selling his shares to Laurie and presumably giving up his board seat as well. Not too late, but it would actually be nice if they could launch successfully without one of them loving it up. And then deal with the shitstorm of terrible UX design later.
Yeah even if he sold under 1%, it can change the balance of power. I like to think Elrich sold something relatively low like 0.5% out of his 10% (because he is greedy) and is only sad because he knows he betrayed Richard something big by giving the control to Bream.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

MiddleOne posted:

Jared's setup from the episode. I can't tell what the actual product is to save my life but that looks like Windows to me.

It's a Sony Vaio. There was a brief shot where everyone was at the table and you can see the cover logo. I remember this because I was surprised to see a non-Apple computer.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I'm glad they didn't pull the usual "It's all going great except it just hosed up" that they usually do. Can't wait to see what terrible thing happens next week.
With that countdown, I was totally expecting something bad. I like that they finally gave the guys some positivity and ended it on a note of hype. See? They can still be the underdogs and struggle even with some victories!

Jared and Bighead are still The Best. I also like that Erlich got a positive little turnaround, sacrificing to fix his mistakes - after everyone was saying they made him too mean.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

It's a Sony Vaio. There was a brief shot where everyone was at the table and you can see the cover logo. I remember this because I was surprised to see a non-Apple computer.

I saw that and was wondering if it wasn't another part of Jared's character, that he's sad enough to use a VAIO.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

megui 2.0 looking good

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The UI thing is easily solvable if they don't get super sperg about it. By default start off with a simple UI that says "Compress my file" that just uses some decent default settings. Then have a link that goes to advanced options which can be that screen.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Bachman definitely got a little less sympathetic this season, but I really hope they don't downsize his character any since Miller is still consistently funny. That UI is a loving nightmare and I hope the UX guy from my old job is watching this show and tearing his hair out next episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What if Laurie lets Bachmann have his shares back slowly as he does embarrassing things to promote Pied Piper.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Erlich probably kept his shares but sold his board seat to Laurie. He's not ashamed/upset he doesn't have shares now, he's ashamed he handed undisputed control to Raviga

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

tarlibone posted:

Well, just because Pied Piper could now be potentially worth $250 mil, Bachman was selling his shares (at least some of them) to another investor who had inside knowledge of the general state of the project. She also could very well be aware of his financial situation, and even though she's a robot, she wouldn't necessarily buy him out for exactly 100% of the company's supposed potential net worth. Hell, she wouldn't really have to be anywhere near that because of Bachman's situation.

It's possible, likely even, she low-balled him, because the fact of the matter is selling those shares was the only way he could pay off his debts before the blog that he now owned publicized his insolvency. This assumes she knew something about his financial situation, which isn't unreasonable given her intelligence.

By the way, someone was asking why he couldn't just wait until the product launched to sell some shares or use some dividends or something. Well, there's no guarantee that the product will be an immediate success, but even if there were, Bachman was under the gun--his own tech blog was about to publicize his and Big Head's financial insolvency. That would be disastrous, I'm guessing, and that's why he had to act so quickly. He could not let that news get out. Maybe for business reasons, or maybe for ego reasons, but that was the impetus: the story about his party not being paid for.

All of that seems reasonable, and maybe that is where they're going with it.

Doesn't Laurie already control the board though, since she can replace Monica at will? Is there some additional benefit to having 80% of the seats (or 75% if Bachman's seat is simply eliminated) vs. 60%?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Avasculous posted:

Doesn't Laurie already control the board though, since she can replace Monica at will? Is there some additional benefit to having 80% of the seats (or 75% if Bachman's seat is simply eliminated) vs. 60%?

There might be. I'm not saying there is, but there could well be. Maybe some dumb thing put in the contract that flips a switch when one party gets to 75% or whatever.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Looked like we were supposed to believe that Erlich felt guilty for helping ruin Big Head's fortune. Looks like the show is setting up a redemption arc for Erlich, but as always this show has been subverting expectations.

Edit: How long until those two Nucleus guys end up back at Hooli again?

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 6, 2016

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Great ep all around. The Hooli parts were so good.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Cojawfee posted:

The UI thing is easily solvable if they don't get super sperg about it. By default start off with a simple UI that says "Compress my file" that just uses some decent default settings. Then have a link that goes to advanced options which can be that screen.

I could totally see Richard being a complete dick about it though. He seems like he'd be one of those people.

"What do you idiots mean you don't understand how to use this? I've got hundreds of engineers, CEOs, etc telling me my product is great. You're just holding the phone wrong."

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Is Kevin the friend supposed to be some reference to Kevin Smith or am I overthinking this?

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
You're overthinking it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

movax posted:

I saw that and was wondering if it wasn't another part of Jared's character, that he's sad enough to use a VAIO.

Jared probably has some crappy accounting program that only works on pc. Plus, he fucks.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

I like the fact that the Pied Piper team is starting to get wins at the end of episodes rather than "oh, let's see what else can go wrong as a cliff hanger" like in the past.

But that D.A. annoyed me. "hey, this guy just committed a pretty serious felony, but I'm not going to prosecute him because you guys were rich and I don't like that". WHAAAAAAAAAA?! That's the dumbest logic I've ever heard. Even if they can't get their money back, that D.A. should want to criminally prosecute that dude. What he did was way worse than the crime of "being unlikeable"

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

DrunkPanda posted:

I like the fact that the Pied Piper team is starting to get wins at the end of episodes rather than "oh, let's see what else can go wrong as a cliff hanger" like in the past.

But that D.A. annoyed me. "hey, this guy just committed a pretty serious felony, but I'm not going to prosecute him because you guys were rich and I don't like that". WHAAAAAAAAAA?! That's the dumbest logic I've ever heard. Even if they can't get their money back, that D.A. should want to criminally prosecute that dude. What he did was way worse than the crime of "being unlikeable"

Had a hearty lol at the thought of a DA that didn't like entitled tech bros lasting 5 minutes in a region awash in billions upon billions of dollars worth of entitled tech bro political influence

E: was also a little confused at the tech blog subplot from that episode. You're my boss but I have to print this story airing your dirty laundry because??? For all SV gets right about the nature of media and what craven jackals tech bloggers tend to be that seemed like an odd thread to pursue

E2: VVVVV That's fair

Some Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 7, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I think the D.A. was more put off by the fact that she probably is fielding hundreds of valid cases at the moment and Erlich's entitlement complex on how she should ~drop everything~ and focus all of her efforts on the business manager pissed her off.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Also it was commentary through satire you goddamn goons.

El Pato
Jul 2, 2007

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Yeah, idk why they had Monica explicitly say "the UX is fine" when it looks like it's exactly the problem.

Edit: also, a screenshot of the whole desktop without even one easter egg? For shame.

I like how you can uncheck "middle out compression". Wouldn´t that be just a regular compression?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Monica's right about Slack. How the gently caress is that $3B?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

If Whatsapp gets sold at 19 billion to a company that already has the exact same service then anything is possible.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

It's like a "irc for PROFESSIONALS" (because it's marketed as such) so companies don't feel poo poo using such tools because they can spend money on it and there is a "For PRO" stamp on it (and someone to blame if there is a problem).

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 7, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I don 't think MISTER TAB(from doctor richard and mister tab) would approve an UNOPTIMAL default compression scheme. Probably why he will go against it and lose because someone sold some of his 10% share to pay his Hawaiian fest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I know right? its literally IRC in a fancy UI.

same as whatsapp/FB group chats.

I think SnapChat is still the biggest "how is this valuable" app I have come across however.

• Locked thread