Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I tried the Grand Kingdom demo when the "beta" launched and it convinced me to buy the game. It's really fun and I like the strategy involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Update: why does the starting Fighter class have an F in Strength and a D in magic?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Caphi posted:

Update: why does the starting Fighter class have an F in Strength and a D in magic?

F is for Fighter.
D is for Dunce.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Caphi posted:

F is for "Funky"
D is for "Dunky"

edit: :shrug:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Slam FDunky

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i think the stat weighting is random

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lets hang out posted:

i think the stat weighting is random

It is when you're creating randos, but I'd think that the starting 4 you get would be set

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you'd think, but the skills they come with are random too so probably not. found that i had a pretty hard time sticking through wars when none of my randos had any kind of healing skill they could use on the map

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
You don't get a starting 4. You get a temporary squad of four defaults when you do the tutorial battle, and then the game asks you to hire your own squad.

I reloaded the entire game (for unrelated reasons) and the second time I got these fuckers.

I'm not clear on the reroll system, but I hired an unrelated Medic, left the hiring office, and came back and it was the same fighter.

I am absolutely 0% clear on to what extent this will be a problem in the long run, but I kind of hate it already, especially since you can completely customize your mercenaries' appearance, colors, voice, and name (in case you're making your OCs, I know lots of people do, no judgment), but you have to run with their default stats and skills. It doesn't make any sense to me.

e: actually let me say it another way: is there a way to reroll hires, and if so, how and how much of a pain is it?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i think in the full game you could maybe do a single player quest or something to get a new batch of recruits to pick from, but in the demo i don't think there's any good way to do it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I know Grand Knights History had generations for hires and the later hires would have way better starting stats so maybe it's like that in Grand Kingdom where you start with E rank losers and then in end game the new hires are S rank gods

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Did anyone play Atelier Sophie in Japanese/know someone who did? How is it? Is it a cute time management sim (like Arland) or a cute crafting JRPG (like Dusk)?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

Did anyone play Atelier Sophie in Japanese/know someone who did? How is it? Is it a cute time management sim (like Arland) or a cute crafting JRPG (like Dusk)?

It's way more like Arland but without time management. It's absurdly chill, the combat is simplified and the big emphasis is on crafting plenty o' stuff and hanging out with your anime friends.

Keep in mind that it's the start of a new trilogy rather than a sequel to the Dusk games so it feels more basic.

Edit: That said it features characters from previous games but they're kinda-sorta not the same characters. It's a Cid thing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 6, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sounds good to me

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Free the post

Edit: that wasn't worth it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I liked it mostly. I was disappointed in the simplified combat but the alchemy is really fun and I can deal with average combat for fun alchemy.

The cast didn't really grab me but so it goes. Platcha's design is hilariously awful but you don't have to see it until like 3/4ths of the way through the game and you can instantly transmute it into something... okay, still lovely but less lovely.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phantasium posted:

Free the post

Edit: that wasn't worth it

:mad:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Too short, come back when your post takes 60 hours to read.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Stranger of Sword City out on Steam now, $30 for the first week.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

iastudent posted:

Stranger of Sword City out on Steam now, $30 for the first week.

Seems kind of high for what it is, is it worth it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Levantine posted:

Seems kind of high for what it is, is it worth it?

It's decent if you like super punishing Wizardry clones

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

The only Wizardry I could get into was Wizardry 8. Is it like that or is it one of the loving hundreds of boring old Wizardry clones?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Libluini posted:

The only Wizardry I could get into was Wizardry 8. Is it like that or is it one of the loving hundreds of boring old Wizardry clones?

I've not played it but my money's on it being a clone of 1-3 and 5 since Japan seems to have a massive erection for those ones specifically. A shame, since they only get especially interesting starting with 6.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

Is it super punishing? Where would you rank it between Demon Gaze (not punishing) and Tokyo Abyss (punishing)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

I've not played it but my money's on it being a clone of 1-3 and 5 since Japan seems to have a massive erection for those ones specifically. A shame, since they only get especially interesting starting with 6.

Well, gently caress. The game looked nice on steam, but I rather replay my modded version of Wizardry 8 then.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Levantine posted:

Is it super punishing? Where would you rank it between Demon Gaze (not punishing) and Tokyo Abyss (punishing)

Worse than Tokyo Abyss, the death penalty is pretty severe, though the UI is more user friendly and it eases you in better.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Libluini posted:

I've never actually played a Wizardry game so I couldn't tell you

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

Worse than Tokyo Abyss, the death penalty is pretty severe, though the UI is more user friendly and it eases you in better.

The UI being better might be worth the price of admission. Tokyo Abyss was really bad at providing information.

I'm still wishing for a Tales of the Forsaken Land type wizardry-like to pop up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Levantine posted:

The UI being better might be worth the price of admission. Tokyo Abyss was really bad at providing information.

I'm still wishing for a Tales of the Forsaken Land type wizardry-like to pop up.

Protip if you buy it: Make your main character as old as possible, they can't die permanently so it doesn't matter how many Life Points they have and you get more attribute points to spend on stuff.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I've never actually played a Wizardry game so I couldn't tell you

In Wizardry 8, you can have fairies armed with guns. Fairies who are also engineers. Part 7 was OK, part 6 is technically a game, but going by the LP in this very forum it really suffers from just using like one single tileset for everything.

The old games where just the basic "a group of random dudes decides on a whim to go underground and kill monsters"-poo poo. They were more like RPG-like puzzles then actually games. If the Japanese clone on my PS3 is any indication, the Japanese apparently copied the old games and replaced the graphics with Anime. That's it. They are all the same game with different graphics. I swear those games are like the avatars of dead creativity.

Oh, one exception: No-one in Nippon had any love for Wizardry 4, so sadly there aren't hundreds of clones of some wizard walking back through a dungeon, trying to get out. That was a nice subversion of the oldest 3 games.

Edit:

Wait, I think I can remember faintly some kind of Wizardry 4 remake, so there's at least one of those around. Maybe.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Paper Sorcerer's premise is kind of like Wizardry 4 but Paper Sorcerer is also a much easier game. And Wizardry 4 isn't fondly remembered because the game is complete bullshit hard and full of dick moves. The developers actually made the game to troll their fans who bragged about how they managed to beat Wizardry 1-3, that's why they added things like a time limit, Trebors ghost who wanders the level and one hit kills you if he gets too close, having to hope one of your monsters randomly casts a spell in a random battle and you can't control them as a mandatory thing to do to get out of the very first room in the game, navigating an invisible minefield later on and you need to have random outside knowledge of the Kabbalah to get the best ending.

I mean, it's fun in an ironic, masochistic kind of way where you can have a good laugh for a little while at how much the game dicks you over but it isn't fondly remembered because it simply isn't fun to play seriously.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There is really not a single decent looking outfit for Plactha in Atelier Sophie is there?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

There is really not a single decent looking outfit for Plactha in Atelier Sophie is there?

There's some which look... passable? There are none I'd consider good.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Trebor's Realtime Ghost is one of the most bullshit things in any game that I've seen

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Just wanted to pop in and say Valkrye Profile: Covenant of the Plume is a super cool SRPG so far that doesn't get enough love. Thanks for hyping it so much ImpAtom, I'm pretty sure I never would have bothered finding it if it weren't for you.

Also it's super loving cathartic to brute force a mission by invoking a plume and even get cool poo poo like a double stats/Taunt buff on your main guy for it. and it's cool as a strategy mechanic too since you can't do it all the time but it feels like there's been two fights so far balanced around it so you can't just never use it either.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Bravely Second is a fun game and I'm enjoying it in hard mode. The new classes are all pretty neat. The writing is sillier this time around but mrgrgrgravy is still enjoyable.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Last Celebration posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say Valkrye Profile: Covenant of the Plume is a super cool SRPG so far that doesn't get enough love. Thanks for hyping it so much ImpAtom, I'm pretty sure I never would have bothered finding it if it weren't for you.

Also it's super loving cathartic to brute force a mission by invoking a plume and even get cool poo poo like a double stats/Taunt buff on your main guy for it. and it's cool as a strategy mechanic too since you can't do it all the time but it feels like there's been two fights so far balanced around it so you can't just never use it either.

I went for ending A (no plume use after the intro) on my first playthrough and it's possible to do, but it definitely gets painful later on and is a lot easier with plume skills carried over from NG+. The game also punishes you harshly for not collecting your quota of Sin in a mission, which is trivially easy if you use a plume and occasionally tricky if you don't.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 7, 2016

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Covenant of the Plume is a really cool, interesting game.

Is Paper Sorcerer any good? I have it in my steam library for some reason but haven't played it at all.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

il_cornuto posted:

Is Paper Sorcerer any good? I have it in my steam library for some reason but haven't played it at all.

It's interesting enough but the difficulty is busted and inconsistent, it's not particularly well-written, and the ending is pretty lame. It's worth playing if you enjoy dungeon crawlers, but I don't suggest playing on hard or higher difficulties unless you're curious to understand what I mean by busted and inconsistent difficulty. Bosses are absolutely no threat, but mercy on your soul if you happen to run into a generic enemy with a target-all physical attack and don't manage to stick a disable on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

il_cornuto posted:

It's a Wizardry game where you can't even name your party members. In my experience, playing it over a year after launch, it was unbelievably buggy. I gave up after the fifth time the game hosed up the transitions and kept me in free camera/explore mode after I hit a random encounter, instead of switching to the battle system like it was supposed to. At least I got to see the game live up to its name, enemies are just 1px-wide model cutouts with their sprite textures pasted on them, and combat is in 3D because of reasons I guess. So is the menu! It's hacky af, and when I call something hacky, holy poo poo.

And the music, ugh, the music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr2aRiVbWzM
I can't be the only one who hears the terrible stitch-seams in this track.

I got it for a buck in a bundle, iirc, and I want my twenty cents back

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 7, 2016