Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I'm super bummed I never ran across a Wally world in Beijing or Qingdao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Walmart's pretty nice, they have a fair amount of stuff cheaper than I've found it anywhere else, a different selection of imports than most of the other shops, and American bacon.

the import section in my local walmart is really bad. carrefour has a really nice selection

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
I haven’t been in China for a while, but some friends are visiting and they want to share some photos and videos with people back home while they are there. What’s an english-language filesharing service that’s accessible there these days? Box? Dropbox? Google Drive? OneDrive? Flickr? I’d have told them to use some Tencent product or whatever except they are tourists and don’t Chinese.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

a7m2 posted:

the import section in my local walmart is really bad. carrefour has a really nice selection

Carrefour is good but in Chengdu Carrefour and Walmart have totally different things. Lots of stuff at Walmart that just doesn't exist in other stores or is like 5x the price.

waloo posted:

I haven’t been in China for a while, but some friends are visiting and they want to share some photos and videos with people back home while they are there. What’s an english-language filesharing service that’s accessible there these days? Box? Dropbox? Google Drive? OneDrive? Flickr? I’d have told them to use some Tencent product or whatever except they are tourists and don’t Chinese.

OneDrive might work? I think the rest of those are blocked. I know Dropbox and Google Drive are.

I'd probably just get a free VPN and use Instagram or something. Free VPNs suck but for a tourist trip they should be fine.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

waloo posted:

Your best bet is honestly to get some kind of device where you can store all the files on physical media, then share them after you get back. Chinese internet is a nightmare for stuff like this, and when you haven't been to China for a while it's easy to take real internet for granted. I remember last time I went, I forgot to tell gmail I was going to be accessing from China (before it was blocked, lol) and when I got there and tried to log-in, it locked out my account and made me recover with my phone, which I didn't have. I couldn't get into my email for two weeks. Anything like that can hit you and throw a wrench in your plans, or your internet with VPN will be so slow that any photo or video upload poo poo will just freeze and not work.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

bringmyfishback posted:

I have yet to see a Wal-Mart here. O_O

They tend to be pretty low-key compared to American ones. There's a Walmart at Dongdaqiao in Beijing that you'd probably never notice unless you were standing right in front of it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The ones I've been to in Chengdu are all underground. You can see the sign if you pass right in front of the building it's under but that's about it.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

If you need something cloud-based OneDrive does work fine and is decently fast in China since MS has domestic servers for it.

Now if you're worried about privacy from the government that's another thing entirely.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
All right, thanks for suggestions. I will relay them and see how it goes.

Hui Tai Lang
Dec 31, 2009

I think the walmart here is better than Carrefour just because they didn't have the stupid long lines like Carrefour. Sam's Club is a bit of a drive, but the last time I was there (a few years ago) I renewed my membership for something like 20 rmb, and it worked in the States.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Hui Tai Lang posted:

I think the walmart here is better than Carrefour just because they didn't have the stupid long lines like Carrefour. Sam's Club is a bit of a drive, but the last time I was there (a few years ago) I renewed my membership for something like 20 rmb, and it worked in the States.

carrefour here is only busy at certain times, but usually not. i love my local chinese carrefour

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I went to a Wal-Mart in Shenzhen. It was the only store nearby where I could buy clothes that wasn't trying to explode my eardrums with techno music, so that's where I went.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Grand Fromage posted:

Walmart's pretty nice, they have ... American bacon.

This is not an advantage.
It is the opposite of an advantage.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Man...if my wife and I ever move back to China, I think bacon access may be an issue for her. That's the one American thing she took to like a duck to water.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

Man...if my wife and I ever move back to China, I think bacon access may be an issue for her. That's the one American thing she took to like a duck to water.

every major supermarket has bacon in my city

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Atopian posted:

This is not an advantage.
It is the opposite of an advantage.

You are the opposite of correct GOON SIR :colbert:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Hey everybody where are the best places to eat and things to do in Shanghai and Chengdu that I would not find in a Frommer's Pocket Guide?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There are a bunch of us in Chengdu, when will you be here? We can bring you somewhere if we're not all gone on vacations.

The Tibetan quarter is one area I wouldn't miss because Tibetan food isn't something you see every day and it is the best. When my internet connection is better I'll pin it on a map and link it.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Grand Fromage posted:

There are a bunch of us in Chengdu, when will you be here? We can bring you somewhere if we're not all gone on vacations.

The Tibetan quarter is one area I wouldn't miss because Tibetan food isn't something you see every day and it is the best. When my internet connection is better I'll pin it on a map and link it.

My wife and I are going to Shanghai from Aug 17-26 and Chengdu from Aug 28-Sep 4 with a stop in Hangzhou in between.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Hey China goons,
My girlfriend is going to China to visit a friend and is having some visa trouble. The agency she's going through told her that she has to have a ticket booked back to the states in order to complete the visa. But we're meeting in Bangkok and going to do some travelling together, and we haven't set a timeframe for ourselves in southeast Asia. Has anyone heard about this/ have any suggestions for how to get around it? She's going through VisaHQ, if that matters.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Beast Pussy posted:

Hey China goons,
My girlfriend is going to China to visit a friend and is having some visa trouble. The agency she's going through told her that she has to have a ticket booked back to the states in order to complete the visa. But we're meeting in Bangkok and going to do some travelling together, and we haven't set a timeframe for ourselves in southeast Asia. Has anyone heard about this/ have any suggestions for how to get around it? She's going through VisaHQ, if that matters.

Purchase your return ticket. Get a printout of the confirmation. Get visa. Refund ticket.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I just printed an itinerary off Google Flights and it was fine

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Ceciltron posted:

Purchase your return ticket. Get a printout of the confirmation. Get visa. Refund ticket.

You could even refund the ticket before you get the visa, afaik.

But the visa agency should really know all the stuff about this.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Awesome, I figured it would be this easy. We were just a little concerned because the visa process is kinda insane.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Beast Pussy posted:

Awesome, I figured it would be this easy. We were just a little concerned because the visa process is kinda insane.

As long as you have a flight leaving China (to wherever) you should be fine. But the easiest thing to do with visas is buy any ticket, print the itinerary and then cancel within 24hrs. Same with hotels, IHG.com will let you book without a credit card, print the reservation and then cancel 5min later. No one is gonna check the legitimacy of either of these reservations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So um I'm going to north east China for a week. Spending a few days in harbin and then in some smaller town called jiamusi. Hope I don't die of baijiu poisoning or get my rear end beat up for sassily northerners.

Any recommendations for restaurants in harbin? I'm interested in northern Chinese, Russian, and Korean cuisine

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

caberham posted:

So um I'm going to north east China for a week. Spending a few days in harbin and then in some smaller town called jiamusi. Hope I don't die of baijiu poisoning or get my rear end beat up for sassily northerners.

Any recommendations for restaurants in harbin? I'm interested in northern Chinese, Russian, and Korean cuisine

You're supposed to eat the Harbin red sausage but I'm sure you'll find it everywhere you go.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

caberham posted:

I was in Harbin once a year ago, and I didn't really enjoy it. Then again I was only there for two days. I imagine you can just do what everyone else does and go around the Walmart by the waterfront. There's some restaurants there but I can't be sure the place I ate at is even there anymore.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

caberham posted:

Give me half a day to get you a list of recommendations. We still owe you for your hospitality in Hong Kong!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys will post update here.

Saw a conical hat at the airport train. Christ

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

the best thing in northeast china is the train back to civilization

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

caberham posted:

Thanks guys will post update here.

Saw a conical hat at the airport train. Christ

pm sent.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Coool list of restaurants thanks. Man it's only been a few hours but my experience here is already quite incredible compared to the other places in China.
Staying at the ibis near Sofia church. only 189 rmb a night with a 400 rmb deposit. Oh and there's a "Romantic English style roast chicken restaurant" called Nandos.

And an American Californian beef noodle king.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

caberham posted:

Coool list of restaurants thanks. Man it's only been a few hours but my experience here is already quite incredible compared to the other places in China.
Staying at the ibis near Sofia church. only 189 rmb a night with a 400 rmb deposit. Oh and there's a "Romantic English style roast chicken restaurant" called Nandos.

I remember two restaurants: AMERICAN CALIFORNIA BEEF NOODLE KING and the one with a half tank hanging out of the side of the front of the signage on one of thr main roads. Not far from where you're at is center street. There's a decent takoyaki place and an acceptable mochi stand in the EuroPlaza Mall.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

That California beef noodle thing is a chain. I remember seeing it in Qingdao and Hangzhou and maybe even Taipei if I'm not going crazy.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Nandos is a global chain, there is one by my house in the US

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's actually nanbos, oops.

And nandos the global chain doesn't advertise themselves as romantic English roast chicken

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me know if you find an erotic roast chicken restaurant

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Magna Kaser posted:

That California beef noodle thing is a chain. I remember seeing it in Qingdao and Hangzhou and maybe even Taipei if I'm not going crazy.

There's one in the Shanghai International Airport as well. I've got a picture of it because why the hell wouldn't you take a shot of something with a name like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man this airport in harbin is so bad I'm glad I'm leaving northern China.

The check in counter staff was in the midst of giving me a boarding pass but he suddenly disappeared without anyone following up on me. I waited a good 15 minutes and I had no passport no boarding pass. Turns out he just left my things and his staff pass on his desk but I still don't have a boarding pass.

I asked around and of course everyone just shrugs and pretends nothing can be done. So I took a photo of his pass and grabbed it planning on walking around the airport to ask around where he went.

Immediately his colleague next to him told me to delete his photo and asked what I wanted. I said he disappeared but apparently "he's busy".

Well if he's busy he should give me a boarding pass or have a colleague help me out. In no time I got a boarding pass and cut everyone else in line. Ugh

Gonna post his photo here