Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Willsun posted:

Are the huge shoulders a stylistic thing only for parts including and up to SDC, or did David Production take it out for DiU? I can't tell if that's why everything looks better to me in DiU.

In the manga it was more of a gradual transition throughout part 4. The anime starts with everyone looking like they do by the end of part 4 in the manga. It works fine, I think, really lets you know that this story is going to be very different from the previous ones.

Araki's style changes more as JoJo goes on, but the transition from "everyone is a linebacker" SDC to the relatively normal proportions of the end of DiU is probably the most dramatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Well if you had Hamon evolve into Stands, you've basically got nen.

To be fair Nen is basically Stand powers without the anthropomorphization (and even then it happens sometimes).

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Dias posted:

To be fair Nen is basically Stand powers without the anthropomorphization (and even then it happens sometimes).

Yeah, Pitou and Bisky are basically stand users in everything but name.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kite and Knuckles are the ones who jump out to me as basically having stands.

I do think it's a better direction to go. Rather than making each enemy "more powerful" you just make it so that they cannot be defeated unless you approach the battle in a different way.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Kite and Knuckles are the ones who jump out to me as basically having stands.

Mom, why does Goreinu have two stands?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Were the part 3 faces (stark, sharply defined lines) strictly a part 3 manga thing as well? The earlier anime arcs definitely didnt have those. I liked them and they help SDC stand out but I'm happy to move on as well.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Lock is basically a nen power.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

rockopete posted:

Were the part 3 faces (stark, sharply defined lines) strictly a part 3 manga thing as well? The earlier anime arcs definitely didnt have those. I liked them and they help SDC stand out but I'm happy to move on as well.

They were there, though early PB they were more like heavy shading and less just a line. It's more subtle in season 1, but you can still see it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

any and all changes in how things are drawn in the anime are done to reflect how the manga handles it. they just standardize the overall look for each part since it's animation and expecting them to gradually shift across each episode would be absurd. a lot of the earlier styles had quite a bit to do with the trends of the time they were drawn in.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Johnny Joestar posted:

any and all changes in how things are drawn in the anime are done to reflect how the manga handles it. they just standardize the overall look for each part since it's animation and expecting them to gradually shift across each episode would be absurd. a lot of the earlier styles had quite a bit to do with the trends of the time they were drawn in.

the exception to this is iggy of course

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

horriblePencilist posted:

!!! I just remembered something very important !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOnjm9MU7pY

Mixing cheese, tomato, and wine together in a blender.

Is...is this something that people actually do? That seems super weird to me. :stare:

EDIT: What a strange ending.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 7, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Condiv posted:

the exception to this is iggy of course

Even then, Iggy changed pretty much immediately after N'Doul as opposed to his more gradual shift.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, iggy was a small detail they could put in there easily enough compared to dealing with a whole cast of characters

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Dexie posted:

Mixing cheese, tomato, and wine together in a blender.

Is...is this something that people actually do? That seems super weird to me. :stare:

EDIT: What a strange ending.

It's super weird. You know how some people are super all in on no-carb diets or vegan diets as being super healthy and the best? Some people are like that with smoothies.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Nen and Stands are pretty much the same thing especially looking at part 7.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Butt Ghost posted:

The difference is that nen has a bunch of complicated rules for people to argue over, whereas stands can just do literally anything :v:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Butt Ghost posted:

They're definitely similar, but the fact that you can customize your nen ability is a major difference. You're stuck with whatever Stand you get, barring some specific circumstances such as Echoes ACT 2 (and Anubis kind of(??)). Also there's no "rookie level" of Stand like there is with nen, you're pretty much thrown right into it.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 7, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't know anything about hxh but a friend of mine does and they pretty much said that the most recent poo poo is basically stands by a different name

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't know anything about hxh but a friend of mine does and they pretty much said that the most recent poo poo is basically stands by a different name

There have been nen abilities in the past that took the form of stands, but yeah the latest arc actually has some normal people getting hit by what is effectively the stand arrow and getting random abilities based on their personality.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

The big difference is that Nen makes you stronger, tougher, and faster. Stands are themselves strong, fast, and tough, but the user remains a normal-ish human.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

The big difference is that Nen makes you stronger, tougher, and faster. Stands are themselves strong, fast, and tough, but the user remains a normal-ish human.

Normal-ish being a super nebulous term in the Jojo-universe.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Not necessarily. It depends on the power of the Stand. There can easily be a Stand whose power is to bulk up someone's muscles or something.

The thing about Nen and Stands is that they're both excuses to have any power imaginable, there are just different laws behind these powers.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Can be used that way, anyway. There are several nen users who are below-average, physically.

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

horriblePencilist posted:

!!! I just remembered something very important !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOnjm9MU7pY

Thank you, I've been trying to remember where this video was, and now I can finally surprise my Jojo-newbie buddy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Can be used that way, anyway. There are several nen users who are below-average, physically.

True, although boosting your body with Ten is considered the most basic use of Nen; the Nen users who can't do it are mostly the ones who don't realize they're Nen users (Neon, Komugi, Alluka, presumably the various artisans who put a bit of their aura into the things they make).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The evolution throughout part 4 happened pretty quick, honestly. You went from basically Stardust Crusaders:

to this, just an episode and a half later in anime time

and then by Tonio they'd more or less settled into the final style.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I miss man face Okuyasu and Josuke

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I don't like any depiction of Okuyasu that doesn't have him have giant wide-open eyes all the time like the precious child he is.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I don't like any depiction of Okuyasu that doesn't have him have giant wide-open eyes all the time like the precious child he is.

same

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I was always a little weirded out by that initial depiction of Okuyasu where his hair is virtually the same as Josuke's except pointier at the front and smaller overall. What's the point of Josuke having a "don't insult my hair" personality quirk if there's someone with the same exact hairstyle in the first 10 chapters.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I feel like the part 4 art is probably my favorite of Araki's works. Newer parts are still great looking, but they don't have quite the same charm as part 4 does.

Also does Okuyasu have nails underneath his hair in that first picture of something

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Part 4 art gets really lame for me because I like a lot of how characters look at the start and then it peters off into a lot of them looking dopey and lame. There's only three characters I actually like seeing at that point in the art style and one of those is Josuke and the other two aren't showing up for a minute.

Also Part 5's art style is much nicer and a better compromise on what he's going for than a lot of Part 4 art imo.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I try not to judge part 5 too hard in general cause of how devious it is in the west, but I really kind of hate all the designs in part 5 so it was hard to enjoy the art style.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Baal posted:

The Part 4 art gets really lame for me because I like a lot of how characters look at the start and then it peters off into a lot of them looking dopey and lame. There's only three characters I actually like seeing at that point in the art style and one of those is Josuke and the other two aren't showing up for a minute.

Also Part 5's art style is much nicer and a better compromise on what he's going for than a lot of Part 4 art imo.

Part 5 is where the new art style really crystallizes, yeah. But also everyone's outfit is like 5000% more ridiculous.

God I can't wait to see it animated :allears:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part 5 was pretty much required to have crazy outfits what with it being entirely focused around an illegal mexican wrestling ring just south of the american border

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I really wanna see the introduction of Sex Pistols. The panels of GioGio looking on in stunned silence as Guido feeds his bullets had me laughing so hard it hurt.

"This poo poo is too weird. I just saw a man get deflated and pulled through a zipper on the deck of a yacht. This poo poo is more hosed up."

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Wrong thread

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this is the anime thread, amigo*

*translator's note: amigo means friend in spanish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait till Revolver Ocelot shows up to tell us all about the thrill of reloading in the heat of battle.

• Locked thread