Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Not being able to see the ranked queue before clicking battle is annoying, because my Ognevoi is a difference maker when the queue is full of Kamikaze Rs, but it's hugely subpar when teams are coming out BB - BB - BB - CA - CA - CA - DD, and the opposing DD is also an Ognevoi who was hoping for the same thing you were.

Also whoever told me the Budyonny was worth the Kirov grind lied to me, this thing shoots spitballs that can't even citadel a Nurnberg.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

Playing a DD or CA with pubs is painful. It seems every team I'm on my team just wants to huddle together, especially on the maps with 3 points on them. No one will actually engage the enemy, so I either have to charge ahead on my own or else cower in the back with everyone else while our team slowly loses. It is pathetic. One map I was part of a group of 3 cruisers moving forward to engage a destroyer and a couple of enemy cruisers. I'm zoomed in taking shots at the destroyer, and take it out, and realize that I'm taking a lot more shots from the cruisers than I'd expect if I had 2 allies with me. Zoom back out, and lo and behold my allies had turned tail and ran to the far edge of the map to cower.

But they might have gotten hit. That's scary. :ohdear:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I was one star away from rank 15 when I logged in today, and now I'm back to the bottom of 17 due to a series of increasingly bad fuckmuppets. Latest was an afk Gremy, and a Kongo who declared he was going to A after we'd decided on B, sailed to A on his own, as the only battleship, and got skullfucked by three destroyers.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The new ARP missions are finally up on NA, and they're a lot easier than the originals, easier even than the EU ones I think:

Haruna needs 300k damage, 400k damage, 600k damage, and then finish top 5 by experience, tier 6 or higher, random, ranked, or team

Kirishima needs 100k damage, 200k damage, 500k damage, and then finish top 5 by experience, tier 4-5, random, ranked, or team

Clarence
May 3, 2012

How long is available for the ARP missions?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ends July 1, pretty easy

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
I made the mistake of starting on the Asia server (Australian). I'm assuming there's no way to transfer, should I cut my losses (Isokaze) and start again on US?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Kim Jong ill posted:

I made the mistake of starting on the Asia server (Australian). I'm assuming there's no way to transfer, should I cut my losses (Isokaze) and start again on US?

If Isokaze is all you've gotten to then yeah, one branch to tier 4 is not much work, and there are a lot more goons on NA. Though, there might be some goons on Asia who need fresh blood?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Khisanth Magus posted:

Playing a DD or CA with pubs is painful. It seems every team I'm on my team just wants to huddle together, especially on the maps with 3 points on them. No one will actually engage the enemy, so I either have to charge ahead on my own or else cower in the back with everyone else while our team slowly loses. It is pathetic. One map I was part of a group of 3 cruisers moving forward to engage a destroyer and a couple of enemy cruisers. I'm zoomed in taking shots at the destroyer, and take it out, and realize that I'm taking a lot more shots from the cruisers than I'd expect if I had 2 allies with me. Zoom back out, and lo and behold my allies had turned tail and ran to the far edge of the map to cower.

I'm fine playing DD with pubs since I can go it alone and scout/cap with reasonable success, but I've pretty much given up trying to play a CA because inevitably one of the following happens

1) I hang out with BBs to protect them from air attacks and DDs, only for them to splinter apart and go up against the enemy team one by one rather than in a cohesive group. Smarter BB/CA captains on the other team immediately attack me first instead of going after the BB I'm with.

2) The scenario you mentioned with seeing other ships follow my lead, only to turn around and run once any kind of engagement begins. :argh:

CAs are much more fun to play when you're playing with people you know/are working together with since people tend to utilize them correctly. I should probably get my rear end on discord tonight or tomorrow instead of just getting annoyed at bad pubbie play over and over.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 6, 2016

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
I actually had a great weekend playing my Wyoming. I decided I was willing to take the time and suppress my ego enough to find another BB at the start of every match and stick with them through the opening salvos and main battle. I'd observed that the majority of the time when a team loses its because its BBs do not group up early in the game, and when 1 BB encounters 1 BB + CAs or 2 BBs they lose, and the team is defeated in detail.

On most maps there are 3-4 BBs on a team, but usually 2 BBs will start closer than the others. I'll head in their direction and amazingly enough over half the time at least one other BB will notice this grouping and join me. The BB who I went to meet will usually pick a standard BB route around the outside edge of a map in the open waters, so we sail around to the engagement zone with 3 BBs together. I've also - no poo poo - had good results by calling out BBs who are going off on their own early in the match. They realize theyre all alone and theyre going to get rekt, turn around and rejoin the team.

I know its like herding cats but with a little leadership and being willing to sacrifice your own initiative you can create a situation where even the most idiot BB captain can see it will be beneficial to them if they join and fight in the same area.

That said I had a match where 2 of our BBs went up the middle on Solomon Islands, a third played around on the southwestern corner with 2 allied DDs, and from the map i watched them gently caress around hiding from 2 enemy DDs the entire game while I fought a losing rear guard action against all the enemy capital ships in the North Eastern corner.

When the game was down to those 2 friendly DDs and BB, and me, burning and about to die having fought a retreat for the last 6 minutes and the enemy entered the cap zone, one of the DDs had the nerve to say "Heading back to base". Yeah dude like NOW you look at the map and see whats happening?
Not one of them had a kill, and the enemy won by points before they could do any good.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

ArchangeI posted:

Are ranked battles live yet in EU?

Nope. What's your IG name? Add xBurtx if you want to div up.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I had one ranked game I was in my Ryujo. I got sunk after doing ok damage.

The match came down to 2 dds on my team vs the enemy carrier and a DD. The CV was in the bottom left, our dds were middle left, and their DD was far right, slightly above the middle.

Instead of hunting the carrier, which they were both like 3 squares away from and had a full complement of bombers left, both my team's DDs went after the enemy DD, and were both eventually sunk by the carrier they could have easily found and disposed of.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Really considering switching to DDs for Ranked, simply because it's much easier to get first on a lovely team in a DD than any other class. Capping is worth so many points as opposed to anything else that I'm starting to get incredibly annoyed when I constantly get second on a poo poo team in my BB because a DD solo-capped a single point then just ran away and dumped long-range fire on stuff instead of actually screening out enemy DDs or anything else useful.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
6-1 today in my Ryujo. I have felt I've had a huge impact in all of the games... including the loss, since I killed three ships, capped 3 points, and only failed to kill the last dd by a couple pixels with 2 seconds last in the match.

We had no dd on our team, and not a single person besides myself even bother trying to cap. I'm into rank 10 now, and am still able to get games. I don't seem me switching to anything. Even against Air Superiority, I'm able to keep the DD lit up so that they panic and do stupid poo poo. It's normally enough to win.

I think DD would be a second best choice, when I hit 10, the amount of people in DD has doubled each game, that tells me the good players agree.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

And sometimes everything goes right and you manage to drag a team kicking and screaming to victory.

Team took two caps, but lost the first ship, and everyone else just fell back and hid in A. Punched straight into B to defend it, nearly killing a Nurnberg in one salvo before finishing off the remaining 2.5k with secondaries, which then took out a heavily damaged Mahan too. Was exchanging close-range main battery fire with one of the Nagatos at the same time, and managed to finish him off about 10 feet away from him crashing into me. ..Our other Nagato was still pristine at the end of the battle due to hiding at the edges of his range and sniping - cannot say I was terribly happy about that, but a win's a win.

Note that despite getting High Caliber, Kraken Unleashed! and lots of base defense ribbons, I still only finished about 100 exp ahead of the next highest ship on the team. It's okay for normal matches, but the amount of exp DDs are getting from caps is making it way too easy for them to get top player in a match for Ranking games.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

I'm not entirely sure what happened, but I like it.

e: So is everyone busy with ranked right now? Is that why the division channels are empty?

TasogareNoKagi fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 7, 2016

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

TasogareNoKagi posted:

I'm not entirely sure what happened, but I like it.

The Clemson happened. The Clemson is godly.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

First ever match with the Fury Taco's new C hull.

We still lost.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Sperglord Actual posted:

We still lost.

Always be losing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I feel like mathematically, your "best" games are more likely to be losses than wins, solely because when your team is losing you have more enemy ships to shoot at and fewer kill-stealing allies, as well as a possible increase in the enemy getting overconfident and doing dumb things.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
This is true. In games where we just smother the other team, it's over before I know it and I only have one or two kills.

Really, we need allies that are good enough, but not too good, but definitely not shitters. But not too good either.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ahahaha I just sunk two battleships with the same torp spread

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

wdarkk posted:

I feel like mathematically, your "best" games are more likely to be losses than wins, solely because when your team is losing you have more enemy ships to shoot at and fewer kill-stealing allies, as well as a possible increase in the enemy getting overconfident and doing dumb things.

Yep. You want your team to lose slowly but ineffectually. That's why Optimal Tanks Purple Padding™ is basically like flying in Hitchiker's Guide. You try to throw the game and miss.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Well, it finally happened. They released a ship that I cared enough about to spend money on and yet was cheap enough that I didn't feel like "that guy who buys SHIPS. Not games. Ships in one game."

Of course, I am now, though. That said, Campbeltown is an interesting piece of work.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Still waiting for WG to release an Enterprise premium so I can drop $50 on a boat I'll never play cause CV gameplay is frustrating as hell

JCFalkenberg
Jul 7, 2008
So, because the ranked queue is usually mostly BBs, I've been slowly advancing with the kamikaze R (mostly) and the Cleveland, but tonight for a brief second the BBs in queue dropped down to something approaching sane, and I dragged out the New Mex:

:hellyeah:

Both the Budyonnny and I had high caliber medals :staredog:

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I can only carry so hard. What more do you want from me? :negative:

This game was such a loving shitshow for all the wrong reasons. I got one of my turrets completely blown up early on, and then midway through the battle, my connection dropped. I came back with 3 fires going, most of my HP taken away (I was pretty healthy just before), my speed dropped to zero with an enemy Fuso, 2 cruisers and a destroyer shooting me, and a spread of torpedoes coming my way. Had I rejoined any later, I would've eaten the spread, but I got away and splattered one of the cruisers.

The enemy Fuso and I got into a duel, and I managed to trade away almost the entirety of the last 13k or so of my HP to deal some 52k damage to the Fuso, and somebody else finished him off when I dropped him down to 600 HP. I survived on 2300, taking nearly 79k damage in total. And It's just not. loving. Enough.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I took a break from the Witcher 3 dlc to try out ranked and yeah, pretty much had the same experiences except I'm not good enough to carry regularly the way some of you are. But the cowering, the lone BB rushing off to a different cap to die, etc. Sweet Odin, pubbies in this game can be such fuckmuppets.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Just played a game where the enemy CV player proceeded to poo poo talk me for hanging with my teams CV (as the lone cruiser) since the enemy CV decided it was only worth trying to torp our CV. :allears:

I take out the lone cruiser on the enemy team and then hang back because everyone else is a BB, and there's fuckall I can do without quickly dying in the middle of a 3 on 2 BB fight if there are no CA or DD on the enemy team, and the entirety of the other teams CV bombers are attacking only the CV and myself.

So of course we lose (I'd argue mostly due to one of our BBs trying to go it alone on the other side of the map) and enemy CV declares it's my fault we lost :jerkbag:. Except you know, I succeeded in taking out 3/4 of his aircraft and I knocked out the lone cruiser three minutes in. This. loving. Game.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Just played a game where the enemy CV player proceeded to poo poo talk me for hanging with my teams CV (as the lone cruiser) since the enemy CV decided it was only worth trying to torp our CV. :allears:

I take out the lone cruiser on the enemy team and then hang back because everyone else is a BB, and there's fuckall I can do without quickly dying in the middle of a 3 on 2 BB fight if there are no CA or DD on the enemy team, and the entirety of the other teams CV bombers are attacking only the CV and myself.

So of course we lose (I'd argue mostly due to one of our BBs trying to go it alone on the other side of the map) and enemy CV declares it's my fault we lost :jerkbag:. Except you know, I succeeded in taking out 3/4 of his aircraft and I knocked out the lone cruiser three minutes in. This. loving. Game.

Actually I agree with the guy.

Shooting airplanes does gently caress all in the great scheme of things, other than it's great to watch and you'd have been far better off putting your DPS on some dumb arse battleship from behind islands or cover or stealth or dropping torps in their faces.

So yeah, gently caress you.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Burt posted:

Actually I agree with the guy.

Shooting airplanes does gently caress all in the great scheme of things, other than it's great to watch and you'd have been far better off putting your DPS on some dumb arse battleship from behind islands or cover or stealth or dropping torps in their faces.

So yeah, gently caress you.

On the other hand, if his carrier was doing good damage and he was the only thing keeping that carrier alive, he did the right thing.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Re: planechat: https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/4mxt7h/qa_from_ru_forums_07062016_p1_and_2_inside/

Dev Q&A posted:

Q:In what way is rounded the probability of a plane being shot down with each tick from an AA aura? Do large caliber guns have a better probability of shooting down planes?
A. The current model for determining the probability (for each tick - which happens every 2 s) is as follows:
It determines the current effectiveness of the aura;
It determines the average lifetime of a plane in said aura;
It determines the maximum number of ticks needed to destroy said plane (the last tick has a 100% to destroy the plane);
It determines the number of ticks remaining;
It then determines the probability.
The current effectiveness of an AA aura (Et) is calculated according to the following formula : Et = Eb * Ek * %
Eb = AA aura base effectiveness
Ek = sum of all modifiers needed to calculate the current AA aura value
% = percentage of effectiveness of said aura based on the number of AA armaments remaining or the number of planes present in the aura.
The average lifetime of a single plane in said aura is determined by taking the base parameter named "average lifetime" and dividing it by the current coefficient value under "Aura effectiveness".
The maximum number of ticks needed to destroy a plane ™ is calculated by taking the time of destruction (by said aura) of the previously destroyed plane. This model allows us to define exactly the estimated total time needed to destroy a whole squadron in a particular aura and, thus, bring variety regarding the time needed for each plane to be destroyed. It means that if a plane is destroyed when t time = its average lifetime, then the maximum time for the next plane to be destroyed will remain the same, just like the previous plane. If a plan is destroyed sooner or later than its average lifetime, the time needed for the next plane to be destroyed will be adjusted by changing its maximum lifetime.
So, for the first plane in the squadron that is destroyed by said aura, the maximum number of ticks (Tm1) = the average lifetime of said plane at the current aura effectiveness. For the following planes, le maximum number of ticks ™ is calculated with the following formula Tm = Tp - Kp + Tm 1/2
Tp = value of Tm used for the previous plane;
Kp = tick number on which the previous plane was destroyed.
The number of ticks remaining (T) needed to destroy a plane is calculated as T = Tm - Tp (maximum number of ticks - number of ticks that have already passed).
The probability (%) for a plane to be destroyed by the current tick (V) is calculated as follow, V = 100 / T (100%\number of ticks remaining).
The probability to destroy a plane for each tick depends on:
-the number of tick that have already passed. The less there are, the higher the probability (the probability of the last tick cannot exceed 90% if, after the calculations for the last tick were made, the squadron still has planes. Successive ticks will then always have a probability of 90%).
-the current coefficient, which is the average lifetime of a plane.
Additional remarks:
In order to reduce occurrences of extreme (high or low) values regarding the lifetime of a plane after each tick, normal distribution is used instead of uniform distribution. The parameters are: distribution interval is set between the time since the last plane was destroyed (or 0 in the case of the first plane) to the time at which the current plane is guaranteed to be destroyed ((plane number in the squadron + 1)*average time needed for a plane to be destroyed in a particular aura), variance (value of sigma in the distribution half-bounded interval). Outside of interval boundaries, the values are distributed uniformly following normal distribution (to reduce occurrences of extreme values)

:stare:

Vorkosigan fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 7, 2016

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

El Disco posted:

On the other hand, if his carrier was doing good damage and he was the only thing keeping that carrier alive, he did the right thing.

Yeah, this is pretty much what happened.

I fail to see what good I do in an outmatched BB fight in open sea when my CV was getting attacked by the other CV with no fighters to defend itself and a CA closing in on it. I took out the lone CA and then proceeded to light up the sole BB that was in range but barely. I was the lone CA on my team with no DDs. Sure I can set some fires, but in all likelihood, I'm the first ship in that engagement to get targeted and taken out, and better to nullify the other teams air support and their lone CA then spending 3 minutes setting fires that end up amounting to nothing since my teams BBs were all over the loving map

Otherwise, I tend to stick with BBs when playing as a CA but I can't force them to stick together.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

...If you're literally the only cruiser or destroyer left in a ranked match, go cap. Unless the enemy team has spread their BBs across the entire map, blatantly inviting the other team to defeat them in detail, there should be open caps. Cap open points then go sit behind an island and set stuff on fire; or harass the enemy CV. If the enemy CV is spending multiple attempts trying to snipe yours, unless that first wave very nearly killed it, they're quite honestly poo poo and your CV should be fine on its own. Second run and after they've lost any element of surprise concerning their loadout, or that they're gunning for the CV.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Whatever.

Anyway just got the New Orleans and, I never thought these words would pass my lips, but I am seriously going to miss the Peniscola.

It's an absolute monster of a ship when you play it right, ie, not like I played it for the first 2 times I bought it before rage selling it. Always shot the AP, always let the BBs go first, keep pointy end towards bad mens, aim for cits, you are accurate enough to hit them.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Burt posted:

Whatever.

lol

Lord Koth posted:

...If you're literally the only cruiser or destroyer left in a ranked match, go cap. Unless the enemy team has spread their BBs across the entire map, blatantly inviting the other team to defeat them in detail, there should be open caps. Cap open points then go sit behind an island and set stuff on fire; or harass the enemy CV. If the enemy CV is spending multiple attempts trying to snipe yours, unless that first wave very nearly killed it, they're quite honestly poo poo and your CV should be fine on its own. Second run and after they've lost any element of surprise concerning their loadout, or that they're gunning for the CV.

Map was passage. In retrospect, I might have been able to make a push onto A (we held B and C early on) without being noticed, but by the time I turned towards it, the other team was smart enough to have their BBs covering both B and A while my teams remaining two BBs sniped from C.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

C hull Furutaka continues to be a beast. That is all.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

This sort of stuff is what kinda frustrates me about CV's in general.

Like, is this really the most fun and cool AA system that WG could come up with for their game? A convoluted system of auras and behind-the-scenes dice rolling?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Like, is this really the most fun and cool AA system that WG could come up with for their game? A convoluted system of auras and behind-the-scenes dice rolling?

I half expected to see a mention of THAC0 in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Maybe I'm weird because I came from other online games with RNG elements, but it doesn't bother me. Things like armor penetration run strictly off fixed numbers, but the exact damage of any round is slightly randomized. When it comes to planes, aircraft have a hidden "hit point pool" that takes damage. Each time they take damage, it rolls for a kill (with a higher chance of getting the kill the more damage they've already taken, until they hit the wall and auto-destruct). It seems pretty reasonable to me, it just happens where you can't personally see it. I don't mind that, because I can't really AFFECT it other than by doing what I'm already doing - targeting squadrons and taking commander skills.