Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The comedy in that show isn't the point anyway, it's the....what it becomes later. All the early eps are just setup for the later ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

The comedy in that show isn't the point anyway, it's the....what it becomes later. All the early eps are just setup for the later ones.

Yes. The point of Bojack is

syscall girl posted:

it might make you feel uncomfortable for the characters?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Like most TV shows, you can't tell if you like it if unless you watch a couple seasons. You gotta allow them to find their groove.

Anyway. Easy call: Watch a couple seasons of BoJack and then you'll know if your style or not.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
A couple of seasons is kind of a lot. Depending on the length of the show, that's 20+ hours. Personally, I'd give a show no more than 4 hours, and that's pushing it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Nah you won't get it for real until at least 2 seasons.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Wasn't that like the entire premise of Lost?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My irrationally irritating thing is that I now have the Bojack Horseman theme song stuck in my head.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
A lot of shows can be horribly represented in their first season. Parks and Recreation comes to mind, which got a major retooling for season 2. So much so I recommend people skip the first.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

RagnarokAngel posted:

A lot of shows can be horribly represented in their first season. Parks and Recreation comes to mind, which got a major retooling for season 2. So much so I recommend people skip the first.

I hated the tall guy with the big face. I'm glad he left and never came back for later seasons.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lost was a mess. There's no reason to start it. It worked super well when it seemed like there was a core theory but the last season was trash and it kinda all hinged on it making sense.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
On the other hand, LOST is amazing and fun. Granted, many people don't like the destination, which is fine I guess, but the ride is amazing.

Also, the cast and production values are pretty freaking great.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I always thought it was funny that people expected a show with a time traveling magical island controlled by a polar bear was going to have a logical ending. Instead they got DL&CC just saying " umm it's purgatory and ghost dad" while taking a money bath.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Instead they got DL&CC just saying " umm it's purgatory and ghost dad" while taking a money bath.

Except it wasn't purgatory.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

My irrationally irritating thing is that I now have the Bojack Horseman theme song stuck in my head.

I listened to it twice today because of this thread. The full version is amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikpc1BN4nN8&hd=1

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Like most TV shows, you can't tell if you like it if unless you watch a couple seasons. You gotta allow them to find their groove.

Anyway. Easy call: Watch a couple seasons of BoJack and then you'll know if your style or not.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but if you are then you're insane. Watching two whole seasons of a show that you're not that into would be crazy. There are better ways to spend your time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You can tell a comedy movie is going to be bad when they devote several seconds showing someone's flabbergasted reaction to something mundane. This is how you realise Spy Hard is not made by the creators of Naked Gun.

Also if they show you a thing, then they show you the reaction to the thing you just saw but the camera lingers on the reaction way longer.

I mean it can be funny if you see someone reacting to something happening you can't see. But it's not funny to see someone reacting to something I just saw.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Final Fantasy 13 totally gets good after you play forty hours of it guys, I swear!

Nope, a show gets a maximum of three episodes to prove it's not poo poo to me. Usually the first three episodes because if they can't win me on their premise in the first three, or their characters are completely unengaging then I see no reason to keep watching something that doesn't want me to watch it.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 06:48 on Jun 6, 2016

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Kids in horror movies that always seem all too willing to help the ghost/demon/whatever kill their family. I know kids are gullible and all which I guess makes it irrationally irritating but I'd like to think if some spooky corpse girl or ancient evil demon came out of my wall and started telling me how cool it would be to set my house on fire or whatever when I was a kid I wouldn't listen.

Also, I thought this was confined to old Stephen King novels, but: magic autists. I'm watching "The Darkness" right now (the whole movie could fit this thread with how many horror movie cliches it is using - it can't decide if it wants to be the poltergeist, the exorcist or paranormal activity or...) and the parents are googling about how autism lets you talk to paranormal things or whatever. Where did people ever get the idea that autism gives you special powers?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Murphy Brownback posted:

Also, I thought this was confined to old Stephen King novels, but: magic autists. I'm watching "The Darkness" right now (the whole movie could fit this thread with how many horror movie cliches it is using - it can't decide if it wants to be the poltergeist, the exorcist or paranormal activity or...) and the parents are googling about how autism lets you talk to paranormal things or whatever. Where did people ever get the idea that autism gives you special powers?
Stephen King

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but if you are then you're insane. Watching two whole seasons of a show that you're not that into would be crazy. There are better ways to spend your time.

Yeah sorry Snapchat a Titty, but Tiggum's right here. Unless you're a complete shut in, spending ten hours on a show that "might get good" is madness.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Murphy Brownback posted:

Kids in horror movies that always seem all too willing to help the ghost/demon/whatever kill their family. I know kids are gullible and all which I guess makes it irrationally irritating but I'd like to think if some spooky corpse girl or ancient evil demon came out of my wall and started telling me how cool it would be to set my house on fire or whatever when I was a kid I wouldn't listen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo_children

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Watch all of every episode of every show.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I always thought it was funny that people expected a show with a time traveling magical island controlled by a polar bear was going to have a logical ending. Instead they got DL&CC just saying " umm it's purgatory and ghost dad" while taking a money bath.

I didn't really need a logical ending, just a cool ending. The magic cork was dumb and boring. The purgatory thing was extra dumb since they spent 5 years going "No they aren't dead the island isn't hell" only to walk it back with "ok half the last season they were dead, but that's it." Plus the other 50 things they never tried to explain. B the end of the show they were bending over backwards to not have to give answers. None of the characters even cared they were on a mysterious island. They were hanging with the others for 4 years before Hurly asked someone what the deal with the smoke monster was.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dr_Amazing posted:

I didn't really need a logical ending, just a cool ending. The magic cork was dumb and boring. The purgatory thing was extra dumb since they spent 5 years going "No they aren't dead the island isn't hell" only to walk it back with "ok half the last season they were dead, but that's it."

No, that's still not right.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

We had a client a couple years back who believed this poo poo about her kid. The kid thought it was pretty awesome since his parent believed it was in keeping with the universe that he just skip school, smoke a ton of weed, bang his girlfriend, and dick around with his guitar all day, we took a slightly more dim view with her allowing a 15 year old to do all that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Aphrodite posted:

No, that's still not right.

What? Yes it is, the flash-sideways segments in the final season are explicitly in some kind of afterlife holding pattern until everyone gets to the church.

E: my irrational irritation with LOST is that it frankly would have worked much, much better as a series of graphic novels, the weekly TV format just absolutely ruined it in several places and arcs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ryoshi posted:

What? Yes it is, the flash-sideways segments in the final season are explicitly in some kind of afterlife holding pattern until everyone gets to the church.

Those are flash forwards. The church stuff is decades after the island.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
This reminds me of how infuriating Under the Dome is. Apart from Sherri Stringfield's hideous acting, of course.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Snapchat A Titty posted:

My wife and I tried an episode of Doctor Who once. We made it 17 minutes. Christ that show sucks, I can't imagine being the kind of turbosperg that devotes weeks to watching something they don't even like.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Those are flash forwards. The church stuff is decades after the island.

Okay, yes, and that changes the fact that the characters were all dead during those portions in exactly what way?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Them being dead never had anything to do with the island like you implied.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Them being dead never had anything to do with the island like you implied.

Not only did I never imply that but neither did the person who brought up the ending in the first place, they just said the purgatory part was a lame cop out. Quit being defensive over bad shows that ended half a decade ago.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lost was ok but went on for about four more seasons than it should've.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
One thing that bugs me to no end in horror movies is when you have the killer, who is known for their brutality, or people have been talking about how brutal their kills are, and they just slit someone's throat or break their neck. It seems so uninspired and unoriginal, it just kills whatever atmosphere the movie had set before. If you're going to give me some badass mass murderer, let them do some disemboweling or tear someone's jaw off. Give me something more interesting than a throat slit and someone gurgling to death!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Speaking of breaking necks: when people snap necks just by turning their head to the side or giving a little Steven seagal chop. I've never tried it but I'd like to think my neck is a little less fragile than that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Murphy Brownback posted:

Speaking of breaking necks: when people snap necks just by turning their head to the side or giving a little Steven seagal chop. I've never tried it but I'd like to think my neck is a little less fragile than that.

If it was that fragile, wrestlers, BJJ fighters, any kind of grapplers really, would be dying constantly.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

KozmoNaut posted:

If it was that fragile, wrestlers, BJJ fighters, any kind of grapplers really, would be dying constantly.

Well, they are, just not as constantly as they could be.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Screaming Idiot posted:

Well, they are, just not as constantly as they could be.

:vince:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Murphy Brownback posted:

Based on the commentary to a show I like, this is for actor safety more than anything. Remember there are actual people involved having their necks turned by another actual person and no one involved wants anyone to actually get hurt. I guess you could argue they should shell out for effects to make it look more realistic but I can see why they wouldn't bother if most people won't notice or care.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Organza Quiz posted:

Based on the commentary to a show I like, this is for actor safety more than anything. Remember there are actual people involved having their necks turned by another actual person and no one involved wants anyone to actually get hurt. I guess you could argue they should shell out for effects to make it look more realistic but I can see why they wouldn't bother if most people won't notice or care.

I realize that, which is what makes the irritation irrational. It always just feels like lazy story telling, like "how is our hero going to make it through this room full of bad guys without dying? oh, I know, I'll just make the bad guys fall over dead instantly if they get lightly touched". I don't expect them to show some really brutal realistic neck breaking or whatever, but they could do something that could actually happen in real life, like I don't know, shooting them or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Murphy Brownback posted:

I realize that, which is what makes the irritation irrational. It always just feels like lazy story telling, like "how is our hero going to make it through this room full of bad guys without dying? oh, I know, I'll just make the bad guys fall over dead instantly if they get lightly touched". I don't expect them to show some really brutal realistic neck breaking or whatever, but they could do something that could actually happen in real life, like I don't know, shooting them or something.

http://i.imgur.com/3PPj4ni.webm