Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I do vote by mail, so I already voted, but if I hadn't I'd probably be a bit frustrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Maybe this means the local bond measure to funnel $70 million to contractors and construction companies in vaguely described terms under the guise of improving library services won't pass but who am I kidding.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've gotten at least four mailers a week for "Vote yes on Measure B!" which is a 0.25% increase to the city sales tax. Every piece of literature on it claims the money is going towards improving emergency service response times and fixing pot holes. Except the bill itself of course, where if you read the text it clearly points out the extra tax income goes straight into the general fund and the city is under no obligation to actually use the money in the way they're claiming they will. :v:

Zesty Mordant posted:

Better or worse than Massie Munroe, who believes that there are secret MK-ULTRA stem programs that are trying to control our minds via satellite, and describes this openly?

At least Munroe made for a quality read and some good conversation material for my out of state friends.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

yeah it's weird to see articles already going up saying HILLARY TO WIN CALIFORNIA. It's just off putting to see such biased anything..regardless of political preference.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Sydin posted:

I've gotten at least four mailers a week for "Vote yes on Measure B!" which is a 0.25% increase to the city sales tax. Every piece of literature on it claims the money is going towards improving emergency service response times and fixing pot holes. Except the bill itself of course, where if you read the text it clearly points out the extra tax income goes straight into the general fund and the city is under no obligation to actually use the money in the way they're claiming they will. :v:

Surprisingly I've only gotten one mailer about the sales tax measure. Almost all the mailers I've received have been Ash Kalra related, mostly about why I should vote for him, with one preemptively bringing up his DUI and another saying not to vote for Madison Nguyen.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Space-Bird posted:

yeah it's weird to see articles already going up saying HILLARY TO WIN CALIFORNIA. It's just off putting to see such biased anything..regardless of political preference.

All ths bookstores and kiosks in Dulles only sell Hillary and Trump gear

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
At the middle school I worked at today (which is a polling place), I saw a couple goony dudes checking the voter rolls and copying g down the info. When I asked who they were they said they were "observers".

Is this some Reddit Sanders thing? Their neck beards are what lead me to think so.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

JosefStalinator posted:

At the middle school I worked at today (which is a polling place), I saw a couple goony dudes checking the voter rolls and copying g down the info. When I asked who they were they said they were "observers".

Is this some Reddit Sanders thing? Their neck beards are what lead me to think so.

Each campaign will send observers to polling places to keep an eye on the process. They're probably volunteering for Sanders.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

oh man can we tell funny voting stories today?

because this elderly woman walked in while I was filling out my ballot and yelled "I'm a libertarian!!" several times as she was getting her ballot, and seems very addled as a hapless volunteer helped her out. it was surreal.

She really wanted everyone to know she was libertarian and voting as such I guess? I don't know.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The ballots are color-coded by party and the No Party Preference ballot uses green. So when I went up and requested one, the clerk called down the table for a "green ballot." I made sure to double-check. Also, mine was the first NPP ballot of the day and the guy had a hell of a time removing the shrinkwrap.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

CPColin posted:

The ballots are color-coded by party and the No Party Preference ballot uses green. So when I went up and requested one, the clerk called down the table for a "green ballot." I made sure to double-check. Also, mine was the first NPP ballot of the day and the guy had a hell of a time removing the shrinkwrap.

oh I guess that makes a lot more sense . it was still pretty funny though.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

CPColin posted:

Not eager to vote in the Democratic primary?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Actually what other parties are allowed to vote in the dem primary? I'm pretty sure California dems allow independents and such to vote in their primary right?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Space-Bird posted:

Actually what other parties are allowed to vote in the dem primary? I'm pretty sure California dems allow independents and such to vote in their primary right?

Only Democrats and No Party Preference voters can vote in the presidential Democratic primary.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Space-Bird posted:

NPP voters are the only ones who can vote "cross-party" in the semi-open system, and they can choose from the Democratic, Libertarian, and... One other party I can't remember right now. Maybe Greens?

They can only choose one though.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

ComradeCosmobot posted:

NPP voters are the only ones who can vote "cross-party" in the semi-open system, and they can choose from the Democratic, Libertarian, and... One other party I can't remember right now. Maybe Greens?

They can only choose one though.

American Independent!

Greens have always had closed primaries.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So many goddamned randos on the ballot.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i actually had to expend effort to find kamala harris on my mail-in ballot

there's a downside to a primary that otherwise let me laugh at stuff like "RESTORE AMERICA. RESTORE AMERICA." or that chinese lady whose platform included "control the ten great chaos of the economy" or some poo poo

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Kamala "Top cop in the war on drugs but now thinks weed is not bad, coincidentally during an election year" Harris

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Kamala "Top cop in the war on drugs but now thinks weed is not bad, coincidentally during an election year" Harris

Just a few years ago saying weed was the devil was how you won elections! Keeping up with the times is hard for a politician, man.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I enjoyed voting ten times for central committee. I am now much more aware of local drama.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Trabisnikof posted:

I enjoyed voting ten times for central committee. I am now much more aware of local drama.

The best part about cross-party voting is that I got to have a say in who the committee members are despite only really caring about the presidential slot. Sorry person whose occupation was "attorney/navy commander" or whatever, your occupation is the sole criteria by which I decided that you didn't win this year's game of musical chairs. "community activist" and "environmental lawyer" are more important, even if half the community activists who make it onto the ballot are nutjobs.

Should have probably spoiled that particular section by not voting but oh well!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I ended up voting for the first person on the senator list because I had no idea who the gently caress anyone was.

Coincidentally, that was Ling Ling Shi. :v:

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

JosefStalinator posted:

This isn't a new thing. I ran a polling place once in 2004 and there were people there writing down poo poo from the rosters. I think the parties use the information to do some last minute campaigning poo poo

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Correct. I try to avoid situations where it looks like I support the Democratic Party, when I can avoid it. (I used to be registered Green, but kind of went, "gently caress political parties!" around 2010.)

Tuxedo Gin posted:

This isn't a new thing. I ran a polling place once in 2004 and there were people there writing down poo poo from the rosters. I think the parties use the information to do some last minute campaigning poo poo

I was called by one of the candidates for District 5 San Luis Obispo County Supervisor, saying I either haven't voted yet or "returned my ballot." I said, "Incorrect. I voted this morning." So I don't know where that volunteer got that info from.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

CPColin posted:

I was called by one of the candidates for District 5 San Luis Obispo County Supervisor, saying I either haven't voted yet or "returned my ballot." I said, "Incorrect. I voted this morning." So I don't know where that volunteer got that info from.

The poll worker forgot to cross your name off the list showing that you voted, or the guy pulled your name off the list before they updated it.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Can I also share my crazy person voting story?? Some lady was complaining at the poll workers about how they're changing her vote to democratic and three years ago despite being registered republican she "had to vote democrat." She was holding a dog (LA county of course) and the poll workers looked so put upon.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just got back, this year I was able to find the correct Chinese church to vote at - last year I went to the Chinese Church of Christ, not the Chinese Church in Christ three blocks down, and they didn't have my name in the rolls and I had to fill out a provisional ballot.

I'm tentatively worried about who's going to come out of the Senator dogpile; it took me a solid 45 seconds of scanning to finally find Harris buried down in the list of nutcases. Also is there really somebody named President? And they got placed first on the list?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

There were only three poll workers instead of the usual 5, and two of them were new so it was basically one guy running everything. The poll was the most packed I've seen for a non-presidential election in the morning with 5 other people there including my wife voting for the first time ever. Once again I got to do my favorite thing, which is walk a block to our polling station, but in doing so I pass by a different polling station, because SF precincts are so tiny.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Tars Tarkas posted:

Once again I got to do my favorite thing, which is walk a block to our polling station, but in doing so I pass by a different polling station, because SF precincts are so tiny.

I like literally walking next door. The unexpected privilege of living next to a nursing home.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
The M-Z line is always full, always. Never corrected, ever.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The poll worker forgot to cross your name off the list showing that you voted, or the guy pulled your name off the list before they updated it.

poo poo! I should go vote again!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
They had President on NPR. They had a lot of great things to say about Trump.

Harris is a troubling candidate as is sanchez so I voted for the crazy mind control lady. I knew some of the current council members, kept most of the incumbents.

I decided to vote no on star courts. Not sure if that was right.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Sydin posted:

Just got back, this year I was able to find the correct Chinese church to vote at - last year I went to the Chinese Church of Christ, not the Chinese Church in Christ three blocks down, and they didn't have my name in the rolls and I had to fill out a provisional ballot.

I'm tentatively worried about who's going to come out of the Senator dogpile; it took me a solid 45 seconds of scanning to finally find Harris buried down in the list of nutcases. Also is there really somebody named President? And they got placed first on the list?

Harris is currently leading with 40% of the vote. The next closest candidate is Sanchez with 18%. Duf Sundheim is the best performing Republican with 10%.

Unless there's a major shift we're looking at choosing between a Democrat and a Democrat for the Senate.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i'm not happy that khanna is currently leading honda (and what that bodes for november), but i'm very glad that dylann storm liu will not make it to november in my congressional district

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i'm not happy that khanna is currently leading honda (and what that bodes for november), but i'm very glad that dylann storm liu will not make it to november in my congressional district

Khanna's has been a lock for the seat ever since Honda became subject to an ethics probe last summer.

To be honest, pretty much all of the positions on the ballot this year are lesser-of-two-evils ones.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The best part about cross-party voting is that I got to have a say in who the committee members are despite only really caring about the presidential slot. Sorry person whose occupation was "attorney/navy commander" or whatever, your occupation is the sole criteria by which I decided that you didn't win this year's game of musical chairs. "community activist" and "environmental lawyer" are more important, even if half the community activists who make it onto the ballot are nutjobs.

Should have probably spoiled that particular section by not voting but oh well!
This is basically how I voted as well. One guy was literally "tech policy consultant" or something, gently caress you bro.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Well, that was a pretty fascinating time. I researched all the candidates on the Senate list as thoroughly as I could...and by that I mean looked em all up on this site here...

http://votesmart.org/candidate/political-courage-test/15723/donald-trump/#.V1eqBtkrLIV

I found three fairly interesting options; Gail Lightfoot, Karen Roseberry, and Duf Sundheim. All three of them were unusually thorough in WHY they responded to the forms the way they did, rather than most of the others who either deigned not to respond, or who gave little to no answer about why they said what they said. I ultimately ended up going for Karen Rosebery, but it was a very tough decision between three people who seemed very qualified for a leadership role...

...Aaaaaand then I look up Mr. Trump (or as I liked to call him, "the Twitter Bomber"), and Bernie Sanders...who apparently does not even know how to use his spellchecker. Seriously, look at what he wrote in response to the form, it's littered in typos. It's amazing just how much more qualified the Senate nominess seem to be than the people who're running for President of the fricken country....

Just how'd we wind up in this situation anyway :cripes: ...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My piece of poo poo congressman is probably going to get re-elected. This is the guy whole stole land for a public park and decided to build a mini-storage facility on it.

Look at this sack of poo poo

His only campaign signs last election simply read "STOP OBAMA" on it and had his name in small text underneath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Approaching Los Baņos on our way to Yosemite we always run into these Jerry Brown crazy train signs and signs blaming Pelosi for the drought. Like all up and down the freeway. Has anyone seen those? Where the gently caress am I when I see that poo poo and who the gently caress is responsible for all those signs?